Carnival Night

Supercape

GM

"I thank you for your help, madam, and gentlemen!" said Santo, wiping his perpetually perspiring brow. 

"It doesn't help that our chief of police, a man who knew these streets and its ways better than anybody, is now in intensive care" he explained, drumming his cigar nervously. "It all feels a most unfortunate set of misfortunes!" he groaned. 

"Any help would be appreciated, Sir" he said to Erick

"Any from what I hear about you, Sir, any medical experience would no doubt be much appreciated by our services. Our hospitals are excellent, but we can't get to anybody tonight...the streets are jammed beyond our wildest imaginations!"

He bade the two men goodbye, ignorant of their other identities. 

"As for you, Madam, your speed will aide us! May I ask you to help Lady Brazil, the cities protector, in helping? I know it is a lot to ask, but I implore you!"

"The wider problem is not firefighting each separate crisis, but finding out what the hell is happening!" he sand, angry at once, and thumping his battered leather desk. 

"Calm down, dear" purred his wife, stroking his back comfortingly. "The people are depending on you! You must help them!"

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Velocity had frowned slightly at Robert's message, as he had not started to the hotel right away as she had asked.  Of course, despite the amount of time that had passed since she had left for the hotel to get into costume herself, he might still not be there yet, given her speed, and the fact she viewed that amount of time as considerably longer.

She took a moment to shoot a quick text back. 

I am fine, things are getting rather out of control and I have been asked to help.

Get to the hotel as quick as you can and let me know when your there.

I will try to be back as soon as I can.

Love, M

Velocity gave the mayor a bit of a smile as he mentioned her speed and what he wanted from her in terms of help.  "It is not too much at all Mr. Mayor.  I am happy to help you and Lady Brazil in whatever way I can."  The speedster replied.  "The incident with your chief of police involved a canister filled with tear gas that was detonated, so clearly someone is orchestrating all of this." 

Edited by Thevshi

GM

"Orchestrated?" mused the Mayor, rubbing his eyes, cigarette still in hand. 

"But why? what is going on? and how is it going on?" he muttered, as the police captain by his side looked on, quiet and meek. 

"So far it has been the edges, the fringes of the carnival" he explained, gesturing to the map on his desk. The map was large, covering the desk and more, and in it where markers of incidents. They were scattered in a fairly random way, but clearly formed a circle around the main event. 

"So what do we do? Try and fire fight the perimeter, or concentrate on making sure there is not some grand finale in the centre? there is no right decision here..." he frowned. 

"The main bands and fireworks are set for 9pm thats..." he consulted his watch "...about 2 hours from now. We have that long to..how you say...nip in this in the bud?"

Erick for his part had to travel further than he would have liked to change into his costume.  As in actually making it back to his hotel room seeing as he wasn't carrying around the metallic case that normally held his suit and utility belt.  The only thing on his person relatively crime fighting esque were the pair of escrima sticks that never left his side.  Which weren't exactly hidden walking around shirtless through the streets of Brazil.  The cover of chaos all around would help to make the trip transition a lot smoother as well.

A round trip which if uneventful would involve a whole lot of sprinting as the normally less than serious minded costumed vigilante was ready to spring into action.  A cover wouldn't be hard to work up if his presence in the country came under scrutiny.  After all, La Rosa's far reaching hands could easily attract outside attention.  A thought that made him flash back to the image of Isabella looming over firearm drawn.  The woman mentioned something about liberty and freedom and that the contract killer would die tonight.

"If I was the paranoid type.  I'd say this is more of a revolt than a riot."

GM

"Ho! What is this and who are you?" said the surprised Mayor at Foreshadow's Entrance. 

"Foreshadow" said Lady Brazil, speaking for the first time. Her voice was rich and slow, full of timbre and wisdom. Scrutinising her behind her mask, the woman was perhaps in her late thirties, or older. Full of life and vigour and with a handsome bronzed olive face and rich black hair that sprawled to her shoulder behind her mask. Whatever her age, her physique was virtually perfect, lithe and strong, and her spandex costume fitted it well, both modest and immodest at the same time. 

She knew her superheroes, that was for sure. 

"I have heard of you, and your predecessor. If you can see into the future, then perhaps you can direct us where to go?" she asked politely. 

"Gah! A revolt?" gasped the Mayor in almost a shriek. "What next, Civil War? Brazil cannot afford such histories! We are a democracy!"

Foreshadow shook his head as the request was made quickly pushing aside any surprise that would have come from the fact that someone knew he had replaced the original Foreshadow.  It seemed David wore the secret of his gift a little further from the vest than he would have expected.  However, that wasn't an ability that the current heir to the name could replicate.  "I see my reputation precedes me Lady Brazil or at least the reputation of the man who came before.  Unfortunately, while I have taken in quite a bit from my predecessor.  The ability to see into the future is not a gift of mine.  But if I could make a suggestion, perhaps we could take a look into the past instead.  I'm sure the mayor should be able to provide access to any security feeds at the time and areas the commotion began?"

His azure eyes darted over towards the worried mayor.  Maintaining piercing expression from behind his domino mask as the costumed vigilante began to search out the words to reassure the mayor and ease him of his doubts.  "Do not worry.  Come one way or another tonight will still end as a day of celebration.  Whatever the cause of all these troubles will be resolved before more needless bloodshed spreads.  I give you that as my guarantee."  

Velocity had turned her head slowly towards Foreshadow after his arrival, her goggles having already shown her his appearance and she had quickly enough placed him as not being a threat that there was no sign of surprise.  He did not look like the description she had heard of the shadowy hero, the long blond hair reminding her more of Omen, Foreshadow's sidekick who she had worked with a few months ago.  When the man before them confirmed he was a successor to the original, she was a bit more certain this was Omen, but did not say anything.

Instead, she turned to the issue at hand.  "That is certainly a way to start the investigation.  But there is likely a lot of footage to review, and could take a fair bit of time."  The speedster indicated.  "Given a device was used in the tear gas incident earlier, it might also be a good idea to search the rest of the Carnival area for any other such devices.  It is a pretty big area, but I should be able to handle it pretty quickly."

Edited by Thevshi

GM

"We have all the security footage here..." explained the Mayor as he sat down by his computer and punched a few a suitable keys. 

"Ah! Modern Technology, you swine!" he smiled as he stabbed the keyboard in frustration, trying to pull up the data files. He was not a complete technophobe, but he lacked any grace on the computer. 

"Here we are! We have not gone through it all yet, but its the same story...or rather, a  different story every time. Pickpocketing, fires, gassing, drunken brawls, food poisoning, the list goes on. One particularly odd one where a brass band had LSD laced to their instruments"

"A very original sound, sir..." said the police officer, trying to stifle a giggle as the cacophony played on the computer. 

"Well, while you all start going through that, I will go see if I can find any more devices that have been set up and not triggered yet."  Velocity said with a small grin as the Mayor began to struggle with pulling up the surveillance video feed.  After getting a number for the Rio police she could use to call in any devices she found, the yellow clad speedster was off in a blur.

Starting at where she had been meeting with the mayor, the young speedster began a circular search pattern of the area the Carnival was taking place in, spreading outward as she zipped through crowds and buildings (sometimes even literally). 

She had not gone particularly far when came across a fireworks display set up that looked like it had been rerigged with something else in addition.  Marking the location, she took out the cellphone she used as Velocity to call it in, after which she would resume her search.

Edited by Thevshi

Foreshadow crossed his arms as he let out an exasperated sigh.  If anything the video footage established a lack of a pattern.  If the people behind the incidents were organized they were doing a great job of making it look as if they weren't.  Almost indiscriminate if not for the fact above all else they did share one thing in common.  An audience.  Every brawl, attack, etc made sure to occur with a high concentration of people around to descend into madness,  But then again it was Carnival, you'd be harder pressed to find a lack of people.

"Quite original indeed, I'm sure Chopin wishes he was around to orchestrate that production.  I was hoping the entire movement was to try and get rid of your problem children, the Rosa.  But the amount of collateral damage almost makes me think they don't care at all who gets hurt and have no idea to their revolutionary aims.  It's just all too random.  If we can't establish a pattern, we can at least work with what we have.  What are the other major events going on tonight?  Any more concerts, or is the final spectacle the biggest thing coming?"  Foreshadow looked between the pair hoping for an adequate answer

There was no telling how long the incidents would stay merely on the fringes of Carnival.  And he wasn't pleased to admit that now would be a good moment to be able and see in the future.  Velocity could cover distance better than anyone Foreshadow had ever seen before, the moment a report came in of trouble they could easily get someone on the scene.  So establishing some potential scenes to get eyes on ahead of time could help.  At least that's what he was hoping for.  "Here's hoping the devices Velocity finds aren't of the improvised variety.  Bomb makers and the like tend to have their own patterns to follow in their original stuff."

Graft spotted the hero Velocity and got his story straight in his head. He was in the crowd, spotted what was happening, then spotted her and decided to help her. He ran quickly to her, taking advantage of his enhanced speed to stand near her.

At six and a half feet tall, Graft was an imposing figure even without accounting the strange, carapace-like nature of his suit. Luckily, when not fighting the suit managed to cover up the bones and muscles that it created to augment Tyrone's normal physique. Thus, while it looked alive, it did not look as strange or horrifying as it might when Graft was more concerned about fighting than appearance.

"Hello, I am Graft. I was in the crowd when everything went down and spotted you a few moments ago." He looked over the crowd. "I'm happy to lend a hand if you need it."

Velocity had just finished calling in the device she had found and was about to resume her search when the tall, imposing figure suddenly appeared.  She had briefly tensed up, expecting an attack, but that passed quickly as the unusually armored figure introduced himself as Graft and offered his assistance. 

While she might normally have been a little bit more suspicious, the speedster had in fact read about a new hero operating in Freedom City called Graft, and the description generally matched the armored figure before her.  Relaxing slightly, she gave Graft a small smile.  "Nice to meet you Graft.  I have read a bit about you, you’re a long way from Freedom City."

"But we could certainly use some assistance right now.  There is something going on here at the carnival, there have been attacks with tear gas, fires, food poisoning and other incidents.  We have no idea who might be behind this, though it does appear that someone, or some group, is behind all this."

"I am currently searching the area in the carnival for any prepositioned devices, such as the one used in a tear gas attack, and have found this one."  She indicated the fireworks display that had been tampered with.  "I put a call into the police to come try to deal with it and was about to continue my search."

"I'm not as fast as you, but my senses are not limited to the senses that ordinary humans possess. I'll search as well. The faster we can stop these attacks, the better we'll be." He said before taking off in a run. He could smell certain things that were off. A trace of tear gas here or there.

He found a couple of tear gas bombs that would have been impossible to simply see and marked them carefully.

He smelled tear gas near a truck and sniffed around it, unable to locate it on the outside. He let out a low growl of frustration and simply lifted the truck above his head. There it was. It was simply taped there, with a wire leading outward that was apparently intended to be a trip wire. He recognized that since it was so low tech, he could easily get to it and remove it without setting it off.

He had the suit flatten out and form a series of tendrils, reaching up and plucking the grenades from their position. He probably looked very disconcerting, but he was able to extract them safely. He carried them gingerly towards a pair of police officers.

"Find something airtight to put these in, please. I'm looking for more."

"Great."  Velocity said with a smile as Graft indicated he could help with the search.  She looked to the next block over.  "That was the way I was heading, why don’t you cover the area around the intersection there, and I will search the half dozen blocks nearby and we will meet again at the intersection two blocks over and keep moving."

With that, the speedster was off in a blur, searching through her designated section of the next several blocks.  She stopped a couple pick pocketing attempts, though it was difficult to tell if they were part of what was going on, or just normal activity of those involved.

Reaching the intersection they were supposed to met up at, the speedster took a moment to call back to Foreshadow and the mayor to let them know that another hero, Graft, had come forward to help and was taking part of the search.

GM

The Mayor was delighted at the new addition to the superheroic response team. Even though he had not heard of Graft. Unusually, not even Lady Brazil had. 

"Well done! You have Rio's thanks. From the reports I am getting, the incidents have stopped. But I am concerned still, the centre of Rio..the centre of the carnival, is as yet untouched. Why? It is the biggest crowds, the obvious target. And the show starts in less than an hour. It is the night of the biggest carnival in the world. I can only assume that whoever is doing this is saving there finale for the finale..."

He wiped his brow, slick with adrenaline and worry. 

"Please, I would ask of you to go there. Speak to Ana Tavares, she is the creative force behind the Carnival, the designer, the architect. She may know how to help...if not, we are all doomed!" he shuddered and sighed at the same time. 

The statuesque Lady Brazil looked at Foreshadow with a smile. 

"Care for a ride?" she asked, floating in mid-air. "I'm faster than any street right now..."

Foreshadow hadn't heard the name Graft before.  A number of ideas of how the hero came up with the costumed identity came to mind.  But the hooded male felt it best to let himself be surprised.  Attacking the main event made sense they wanted a crowd that much was certain.  The reasons behind their action, however kept gnawing away at the costumed investigator.   Foreshadow wanted to understand the motivation behind their actions so he could get a better handle on how far they were willing to go for their revolution.

Foreshadow had faith in architects and everything, but they were hardly the go to in dangerous situations.  Especially if one considers how much of Carnival took place out in the open.  But it was hope, potentially Ana Tavares could give them some insight as the clock wound down.  Foreshadow's head snapped in Lady Brazil's direction upon the aerial invitation.  Pushing past the internal squeal at the opportunity for tagging along with self-propelled flight, the blonde man smiled before responding.  "Sounds good to me.  We don't exactly have time to spare after all.  Even in the aftermath of all the chaos I bet the view has to be pretty amazing."  

"Ana Tavares.  Okay, got it."  Velocity replied over the phone when the mayor requested that they concentrate on the currently untouched center of the carnival.  After getting directions on where she could find this Tavares, the speedster hung up and waited for Graft to arrive.

Unfortunately, for Velocity, any amount of time more than a few seconds was far too long, but she still gave Graft a small smile when he appeared.  "Well, our sweep of the area has been cancelled for the moment.  The mayor wants us to go met with the woman who organized and put this whole thing together, one Ana Tavares."  The yellow clad speedster then gave the directions to the biosuited hero.  "See you there." 

And with that, she was off in a blur of movement, speeding through the crowds towards the location where they would met up with Foreshadow and Lady Brazil.

While Graft certainly could not match Velocity's speed, he did not lack in that area. The suit shifted it's mass again, enabling him to pick up speed. To those who stood by, only a green blur was truly visible. He used his enhanced eyesight to ensure that he hit nothing, and hopped over anything in his way. It would only take a few moments to reach her, from anywhere in the city. He anticipated that Velocity would already be with the woman by the time he got there, which was fine with him.

GM

At the central plaza of Rio

After a day of partying, the sweat, joy and fever was rife, and doubly so in the central plaza of Rio. Bands had been playing all day, from classical to latin, to contemporary pop. Dancing had been non stop, and the evening had been punctuated by fireworks. Alcohol was imbibed, and no doubt other intoxicants had passed hands. A few cases of Zoom drug usage had kept the paramedics station set up here busy. 

Ana Tavaras was a striking woman of an uncertain age. She was slim, and of average height, with petite and pretty features. Her skin and eyes were of that uncertain and mysterious olive brown complexion that gave no clue as to her heritage but augmented her beauty. She could have been a model, but her intelligence and charm was evidence that she could turn her hand to anything and succeed. She inspired envy and love in equal measure. 

She was unfazed by the arrival of Velocity, Graft, Foreshadow and Lady Brazil, all at their own times. 

"Welcome to the Carnival!" was her opening upon meeting them, accompanied by a polite and gracious smile. 

"I organised all this you know" she explained, maintaining a modesty when she boasted. "I am an artist by profession, and the dear Mayor thought I should have a hand in the planning of this night. And they thought my ideas good enough to hand it over to me, bit by bit, week by week. So far, it has been a success!" she said, clapping her hands and gazing to the sky. 

"Despite the little...irritations" she conceded, frowning slightly. 

"But the grand finale is tonight! Fireworks, Music, like you have never seen! all here at the centre stage! we have everything - lasers, smoke machines, the best musicians, the brightest fireworks...it will be fantastic!" she said, full of her dream. 

"It kicks off in...just over half an hour...." she said, studying her watch. 

"I have nothing against you American's" she explained, with every ounce of niceness. "But I don't want this night messed up. Please, the city needs this. And the Mayor, who will be here for the kick off, he needs this too..."

Velocity listened quietly as Ana Tavaras spoke to them, all the while wistfully watching the scene around them (which her goggles allowed her to do without turning her head away from the woman in front of the group).  When Tavaras had finished, the speedster spoke up.  "Well Ms. Tavaras, we are not here by our choosing, but because someone has been causing problems that necessitated our intervention.  Believe me, I would far rather be out there dancing and enjoying what you have created.  If anything, we are here to help ensure that this does not get 'messed up."

"Seeing as you know more about your creation than anyone else, you are likely the one best able to help us try to prevent any other trouble.  If you were trying to disrupt the finale, or use it to make a statement, how would you best accomplish that?"

GM

"Well I should know, I love making a scene!" laughed Ana, her jazz hands exploding into five fingered stars, accompanied by a sway of  her hips. 

"They would create pandemonium" she concluded, more seriously. "A stampede? a riot? something to scare, or inspire, or perhaps both?" she pondered. 

"That isn't a helpful answer, I know. But perhaps you do not ask a helpful question. In such a dramatic stage like this, there is already a scene. How does one top that? Perhaps the question is one of motive? she asked. What has happened so far? some schoolboy pranks, pick pocketing, a few minor brawls, yes, I have heard of them all. An assassin nearly gets killed. Is this a vigilante? and if so, is that story so wrong? The chief of police..."

Here, her voice grew hushed. 

"...a man with sticky corrupt and pudgy fingers in many pies...."

"...is nearly poisoned to death? what is this, poetic justice? or just justice? but so far, few tears will be spilled. Rio will not weep. Some may actually rejoice. Chaos may reign for a brief moment" she shrugged, thoughtful. 

"I would ask yourself not what will happen, but why?"

"But the plaza is yours, as are my services. At least for the next thirty minutes. I can show you everything! Although I must greet the Mayor when he arrives!"

Foreshadow eyed the woman carefully.  He couldn't help but view her reasoning as downright callousness.  From his perspective she held the esteem of her event in higher regard than the safety of those attending.  "You say the mayor needs this, but why does the mayor need this so badly?  Aside from the obvious economic incentives, I can't help but feel as if we keep always hearing half the story.  Are there any skeletons in the man's closet worth making a statement over?"

The assassin almost getting killed sat on the back of the man's mind.  That wasn't a planned event he, himself, set up the situation.  The masked femme fatale, ever the opportunist simply took advantage of the situation.  All things being equal everything else could be a series of opportunities being taken advantage of.  The finale included.  However, it wasn't a series of spur of the moment crimes that much was certain.  If there was going to a moment for planned pandemonium it would have to be during the finale.

"The key words being so far, a lot can change in a night.  So, pretending for a moment this is truly a tale of romantic revolution.  What could they rebelling against?  If Rio won't weep, what will they smile for? And I don't mean La Rosa's patchwork knife smiles."  It would be funny how everyone had failed to skip over the fact that the police chief whose life Tyrone saved was rumored to be corrupt.  Ridiculously incompetent information sharing if not for the fact it was par for the course from what Foreshadow had come to expect.

GM

Ana shrugged, keeping her eyes on Velocity whom it appeared she engaged with and respected more than Foreshadow or Graft. She seemed to actively avoid looking at Lady Brazil. 

"Rio is a city of smiles, Sir" she said, more formally but not without charm. "It is just that kind of place, where everything clashes together, smiles, tears, dreams, and reality. It is not without its problems, that is true - the Rosa criminals, corrupt politicians, and corrupt police too. And there is poverty here. Rio, where you can soar, and be trampled on. Perhaps in the same night..."

She waved her hand. 

"Pfah! I am a revolutionary myself" she said, without shame. "Do you think artists get paid in this city? No! hah! I could be a card carrying member of the communist party, but for the fact that they are so grey and dull" she explained. 

"Rio would smile at freedom, sir. And that is what the Carnival is about. Freedom for a night, away from the worries of the world, away from the boot of the Police, and the more subtle chains of the Church and State. So let them rejoice!" she said, almost singing. 

"I guess I would be hauled up and interrogated by your CIA for my left wing philosophy? yes? no? Do you work for the men in shades and suits? the secret police? hmmm?" she teased. "You wear masks surely enough, and what is behind them? but no matter! this is, after all, carnival night. Mask's will fit right in!"

Ana might be bright, poetic and beautiful, but she almost sang her words, flitting from one topic to the other. She was quite excitable, wrapped up in the night and, one might say, herself. 

"Your personal beliefs are yours and as long as they don't involve bringing harm unto others for then it is of no concern.  And this is coming from a bonafied capitalist   I'm not going to pretend to understand the oppression you fell you have suffered, every place has problems only its citizens can understand.  It's our actions in solving those problems that matter.  And the actions I saw tonight were a lot of things, but they weren't Freedom."  He had noted how she never addressed whether the mayor had hidden skeletons directly.  Which was as good enough an answer as Foreshadow figured he would get on the matter.

"Yes, you're quite right we're not the only ones wearing masks tonight.  Both literally and figuratively.  But, make no mistake I am not a soldier of my government's policies whatever they may be. Though I doubt they would look twice at an artist simply airing grievances. I can even respect your ideology, and especially your freedom to express it. Again as long as that expression doesn't come at the cost of the lives of others. Don't mistake this, and I only speak for myself when I say this and not the other three, I'm not trying to save your event. I'm trying to protect the people attending it." The costumed investigator took a step forward making a visual scan of the plaza.  At this point he figured the way her eyes addressed three members of the quartet, it was best to leave Velocity to handle the socializing aspect with Ana.  Not that the blonde male thought he could actually bite his tongue.

Velocity listened as Ana responded, sort of, to her question about how might be the best way to disrupt the finale, frowning slightly as the woman was a bit dismissive about the incidents thus far. 

"The chief of police may be corrupt, but the attack on him also injured or sickened a number of others, so it was hardly justice."  The speedster responded as she considered the artist’s responses to Foreshadow's questions.

"I have worked with the US government at times, as well as UNISON and the United Nations, but I am certainly not an employ of any government."  She replied.  "As Foreshadow said, I am not against the views of yourself or whomever may be behind these events, or the right to express those views or protest.  I am here to make sure that expression or protest does not hurt anyone else."

The young woman turned her head to glance out at the crowds in the plaza, though she did not actually need to do so to look at them.  "I visited Rio several months ago for New Years, and in preparing for the stop, I did a bit of research about the city.  I know that is has its problems, poverty being a major one.  But I also read about how city's beaches act as something of an equalizer, a place where rich and poor both gather, and there is no distinction between the two.  I would imagine Carnival is a lot like that as well."

Focusing back on the others, she then continued.  "So, thirty minutes or so till the finale.  That is like twenty nine more minutes than I need to search all of this plaza and its surrounding buildings for anything that might be part of any plan for the finale.  Depending on what I find, we can then decide how we want to proceed."