Carnival Night

Supercape

Erick was caught by surprise when the enchanting woman strolled in.  There was something grim about her demeanor he couldn't quite place.  At least until her all out declaration of war.  The reaction shouldn't have gotten past him, she was as much a victim as all of the lives that Espinho took from this world.  But that didn't justify the act she wanted to commit.  Erick knew he had to try and stop her.  

Pleading out the man's voice softened far from the fighter who took down the Thorn.  Inching ever nearer to the brazen woman.  Trying to get close enough to reach for the gun if it came to that.  "Isabella.  Trust me you don't want to do this.  If you pull that trigger that's not something you can come back from.  It's not something you will ever forgive yourself for.  Your husband wouldn't want this for you.  He may have gone about it through the worst possible means.  But I'm sure he was only trying to provide the best for you.  Please don't let La Rossa take something else from you."

The appeal of revenge wasn't lost on Erick.  Really it could be argued that the man deserved every bit of vengeance in her heart.  But that wouldn't bring back those lost by his hands.  It wouldn't take the pain.  It wasn't justice, it was just a temporary relief.  One that would follow her for the rest of her life.  Unless he could put a stop to it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

Isabella wobbled, swaying, rocking on her feet, for what seemed a frozen moment in time. She did not take her eyes of Esphino. 

"American. Thing's are different where you are..." she whispered, her voice cracked and conflicted. 

"But here...this is what must be done!" she said, regaining confidence and smiling a mechanical smile, with her eyes suddenly full of rapture. 

BANG!

it was a single shot, straight to the killer's head. To the Carnival, probably sounding like a firework, for there were many being lit off. 

The gun was low calibre, and low velocity, but at that range, it was deadly. Espinho's head lolled to one side, and blood pooled on the floor way he lay...

"What have you done?!"  Erick called out incredulously, a wave of emotion sweeping him as he dropped to the floor.  No.  Ogod.  Nononono.  This can't be happening.  No.  There was absolutely no love lost between Erick and Espinho.  If anything he sympathized more with the woman whom had fired the shot in the first place.   The gymnast was far from a first responder.  But it was all he could do to stop himself from breaking down he had to focus.  He knew he couldn't just let the Thorn die even if he was a murderer.

Taking off his shirt both to have something to help apply pressure and as some make shift body substance isolation Erick would get to work.  Desperately trying to use whatever alcohol was in reach for sterilization.  Preferring whiskey but he wasn't completely positive how helpful it would be.  Falling back on his limited first aid experience Erick would do everything in his power to stabilize the killer's neck whilst applying pressure so as to stop the bleeding on a now elevated head.

Despite managing to somewhat stabilize the stoned faced gangster, Erick was only buying time at best.  A gunshot wound, especially one to the head was a matter of time.  Add to that the fact Erick wasn't positive he could even transport the guy safely.  Espinho's chances of survival couldn't have been great.  Not without proper medical assistance.  "Help!  This man needs medical assistance.  Please!  Somebody help."  At this point Erick had been calling out into the streets hoping someone, anyone, would risk entering the bar and helping.  Now would have been a great moment to know portuguese.

It was luck that Tyrone heard a call for medical assistance over the din of the crowd. He also always brought an emergency kit with him. He mumbled an apology to his beautiful dancing partner and rushed towards the sound of the voice. The curse of duty, he said to himself. He could tell as soon as he entered the bar that it was a seedy place, and the tableau in front of him told him everything he needed to know, at least about who had shot whom.

He rushed over to the injured man. "I'm a doctor. I can try to help." He said, putting his backpack down and fetching his portable medical kit. The creature wisely compressed away from the entrance of the bag, leaving no clue that it was in there. He never thought he'd actually need it, but he always brought it with him. It wasn't quite sufficient for bullet wounds, but it'd help.

"Well, at least I have sterile tools." He said with a sigh. This would be rough, but he had faith in his medical skills.

GM

The Golden masked lady who was dancing with Tyrone gave him a cute wave and wink. 

"See you later darling! I have to see Luiza!!!" she grinned going back to shaking her booty and yelling to the Latin Beat. 

Tyrone did not have to elbow through the crowd far, they soon parted as the seriousness of the situation became apparent. At the doorway to La Rosa club was the patient. The bleeding, or at least the worst of it, was under control, but had not stopped. The head was a very vascular part of the body, and blood loss would be severe. 

As Tyrone got down to work, the elegant lady, Isabella, still appropriately wearing her death mask, strode over to him, gun in hand. 

"I know you try to help. But this man, he is wicked and bringer of tears. He will die today! Do not interfere!" she said coldly. 

Erick looked up at the woman with the death mask.  Now that an actual doctor was on the scene he was a bit more relieved to act. "Isabella, if you want his blood on your hands so badly then do not hesitate to shoot through me first.  Otherwise, you have done enough.  Your message has been read loud and clear by the patrons of this bar.  And I'm sure they'll tell their little friends.  You are right, things are different here.  I don't even begin to understand what sort of outcome you believe you're heading towards by doing this.  Other than the illusion of soothing the pain from some sort of personal vendetta the only possible ending for this will be more tears and bloodshed not less."

There was a complete lack of confidence in her not going through with it and just shooting Erick to get to Espinho.  But better him than the medical professional currently closer to the gun.  The man was just an innocent bystander offering to help out, it wouldn't do to let him get hurt on the blonde's behalf.  Erick felt as if he had to take some responsibility for placing the mobster in such a vulnerable position so as to allow the woman's vengeance its outlet in the first place.   Which made his preparation in dropping to cover the body if need be easier to swallow.  His eyes would wander to the gun wondering if he was quick enough to make it if he tried.

GM

Isabella paused, considering, her eyes fixed in her blank skull mask. She examined her gun slowly, fingering the trigger and handle in a rapture, never taking her eyes of Erick. 

"You are lucky this gun has only two shot's. Otherwise I would have gunned you down like him. Nothing shall get in the way of our future" she said coldly. 

"The time of fear has passed. Now, liberty! freedom!" she sang, dropping the gun to the floor as fireworks and music flooded the city in late afternoon. 

She took one last look at the Rosa killer. 

"He will die tonight, one way or another" she sniffed, before walking off into the Carnival. 

Erick exhaled as the woman left.  So much for relaxing after his side trip into the club.  It seemed he would have a busy night ahead of him after all.  The gymnast's eyes would linger out towards the crowd of carnival before his attention returned to Tyrone and the injured man.  "I'm sorry for all this unpleasantness.  My name is Erick Sloane, pleasure to make your acquaintance and thanks for all this.  Uh, should we be doing anything else for this guy now?"  Erick's hand shot straight up as he rounded out his greeting by waiting for a handshake.

He didn't address the obvious elephant in the room as to what just happened.  Some details were best not aired.  Especially as Erick hadn't managed to gather all the details of the entire situation himself.  La Rosa's influence had to truly be something to garner such a response as retribution.  Their response to the direct attack wouldn't be anything less than unpleasant.

GM

Meanwhile...

On her way back to meet Robert, Megan happened to walk where Luiza was belting out another thunderously infectious Latin tune. 

At this point, the golden masked lady had boarded the float and was dancing, to much applause and a bit of lechery. She was an attractive young lady, and a good dancer. 

Luiza herself was dancing with a policeman - old, a bit podgy, and decorated with medals. Presumably a high up officer, maybe even police chief. 

With a thundering drum finish, the music was disrupted by a sharp bang, an explosion. Toxic smoke started pouring out of the crate in thick plumes, causing the crowd, band, and police to cough and choke, the fumes attacking lungs and eyes. Megan was, herself, in the fumes way, and could feel them tickling her throat and eyes...

Megan was feeling a bit less interested in the revelry going on around her as she made her way back to where she had left Robert.  While keeping an eye out for trouble, her festive mood had been dampened a bit.  Besides, she was easily as good looking as the woman in the golden mask, and a better dancer.

But when there was the small explosion that sent a thick smoke out over the crowd, her reflexes kicked into high gear.  The young blonde was quickly out of the path of the tear gas, avoiding any of its effects.  Looking back towards the center of the scene, she saw how most of those in within the cloud of gas had been incapacitated.  She took a quick moment to look around for any sign of other trouble, wondering if this was an isolated incident, or if similar things were happening elsewhere.

Robert!  She thought, suddenly worried about the young Englishman.

GM

There was no signs of similar explosions in the carnival, although to be fair, it was a carnival, and getting louder by the hour. Still, no plumes of smoke or wailing sirens could be heard. 

People started stumbling out of the smoke - through which it was hard to see. Most were pretty ill, coughing, fainting, or even throwing up - a rather uncomfortable aroma and sight for those already nauseated. 

Stumbling out came Luiza, the singer. She was now wearing a sparkling mask, dotted with what were presumably glass beads, like a Masquerade mask - although one could not help but recognise her from her hair, physique, and dress. 

"Viva La Revolution!" she yelled, at least trying to sing it, but with lungs choked from the gas. 

"We own the streets!" she attempted to shrill once more. 

Deep inside the gas, the police chief was unconscious, and...by the looks of it...suffering. Whatever had exploded had done so right next to him, the fumes hitting him the hardest. Through the smoke, Megan could see him shaking and convulsing...

Viva la revolution?  That does not sound good.  Megan thought as she took in the scene before her.  Luckily this seemed an isolated incident, for the moment, but if she was going to try to help more, she needed to be properly dressed.

Disappearing in a blur amid the confusion, the blonde young woman sped back towards where she had let Robert, vibrating her body to allow her to pass through the crowd between her and her destination.

Coming to a quick stop as she reached the English aristocrat, Megan handed him back his wallet.  "Here, keep a good hold of it."  She began, her expression serious.  "There was some sort of tear gas attack over near where I caught up with the pickpocket.  I think something might be going on here.  Please get back to the hotel where you can be safe, I am going to go change and see what I can try to do to help."

She gave him a quick kiss before looking deep in his eyes.  "Send me a text when you get there."

With that, she was off again at top speed, running back to their hotel room and then digging out the suitcase which held her Velocity costume.  A moment later, she was changed and then off once more, running back to the site of the gas attack.

GM

By now, the gas was subsiding, dispersing slowly in the Hot afternoon air of Rio. Whilst that made it less virulent, it also meant more people were hit by it, coughing and crying from the fumes. 

At the centre, the Police Chief was lying, having vomited over his own uniform. As Veolicty ran towards him, she noticed he was not breathing. 

Not dead, but not breathing. 

In the fumes and the panic, nobody had really noticed - more concerned with grasping clean air into their lungs. 

Luiza was singing madly, a revolutionary song in Porteguese that Megan did not understand. Her fist pumped into the night in time with the tempo of her voice and she looked ecstatic. 

Megan skidded to a stop near the unconscious police chief, not feeling a need to be subtle anymore now that she was in costume.  Glancing over at Luiza, the speedster rolled her eyes slightly.  I really wish she would shut up.

But then, she focused on the much more serious issue of the unconscious police chief, who had stopped breathing!  Oh no!

Knowing her own medical skills were lacking, the speedster quickly began scanning the area for any signs of some emergency medical personnel that might be nearby for any injuries to the crowd.  A quick scan of the immediate area around her (which took only a fraction of a second) showed no visible EMTs or the like. 

Thinking the police chief was too heavy for her to lift and move quickly, the young speedster decided to do a quick loop in the surrounding area to look for someone to help.  If she could not find anyone quickly, she would have to figure something else out.

Setting off in a yellow blur of movement, Velocity zipped around through the crowd, searching for any EMTs.  Passing by the seedy bar in which she had earlier spotted Erick, she spotted the young man once more, alongside someone who was finishing up providing medical attention to someone with a serious head wound.

I hope he is finished up here.  She thought as she skidded to a halt near the pair.

"Hi there, I hope you can speak English.  I'm Velocity, and someone just let loose some tear gas in a crowd nearby.  The chief of police, or someone similarly important, got a extra does and is unconscious and has stopped breathing!"

GM

Outside the La Rosa Club...

Of course, someone had phoned for an ambulance. 

But this was carnival night. 

The streets were jammed. Floats were on the roads, and whilst there were EMT's on bikes and at various stations, treating wave after wave of sunburn and heatstroke, this kind of injury needed the real deal. And progress, even with the best will in the world, was slow. 

It was hampered by the crowds pressing in on the injured man, and a few do-gooders professing knowledge of first aid, before realising exactly the nature of the injury, and promptly winning the Olympic gold in the 100m back-pedalling competition. 

Just as Megan arrived, two wiry policemen, looking pretty hot and bothered had arrived at the scene and started blabbering in Porteguese to Erick and Tyrone...

Erick was surprised by Velocity's presence that was for sure.  It wasn't worth questioning as relative distance had a whole different meaning when you could move as fast as she could he imagined.  But he wasn't dressed for the occasion so to speak so priorities had to be kept in mind.  Knowing full well that slowing down his tone would be ineffective and only make him look like an ignorant jerk, the blonde would begin to speak normally towards the police officers hoping that at least one of the words that came out of his mouth had a shared meaning in Portuguese.  Coupling his explanation with an hastily assembled series of improvised sign language including a finger gun pointed in the injured killer's direction.  "Can you help?  This man has been shot and we need to move him to a hospital before he dies.  The ambulance is nowhere to be found and we can't wait around all night for one to get here."

The likelihood of Erick's impromptu game of charades producing the best results were questionable at best.  But he knew that he had to try something.  Mental stress was creeping its way forth with his muscles feeling fare more weighted than they really had any business feeling.  Especially when Erick held himself responsible either for leaving the man vulnerable enough to get shot.  Or for not being quick enough on the draw to stop the shot.  He knew both were unreasonable things to be hung up about.  He just happened to be an unreasonable person.

Tyrone snapped to attention. Jeez, he couldn't escape work even on vacation! He mentally shrugged and accepted the fact that he was needed. he straightened.

"Certainly. I'm American, and a Doctor." he said, nodding. "I can do nothing more than watch this man. I've already treated the wound, so his fate is in the hands of God or better equipped medical personnel. It's times like these I regret having never learned Portuguese." he said, turning to the hero. He didn't know why she was here, but she seemed to be a superhero who could use super speed, so her transportation was easy enough to figure out. He grabbed his backpack that contained both his suit, and his equipment. He wasn't sure if he'd need to suit up as Graft, but he knew that it could happen. He nodded to Velocity. "Please, direct me to him."

The arrival of the pair of police officers looked like it might be something of a nuisance, but luckily Erick quickly interjected.  When the man who had been working on the injured man on the floor indicated he was a doctor, Velocity breathed a small sigh of relief. 

"Thank you doctor."  The speedster replied with a smile.  "He is not too far, just this way."  She added, starting off back towards where the police chief was, though doing so with a number of stops along the way to make sure the doctor could keep up with her.

GM

There was a crowd gathered, and the police were in full force around the chief of police, giving him CPR - although plenty of officers and bystanders had been dreadfully poisoned by the gas. 

Luiza had, it seemed, thrown herself into the crowd and was no longer to be seen. 

Sirens of an ambulance wailed in the background. But this was, as ever...a terrible task for ambulances. The streets were jammed, and the more the sirens blared, the more people decided to crush in to see what was happening. 

The policeman were screaming in Portuguese, and on the edge of panic as they pummelled his chest. 

He immediately ran to the side of the man and got to work. This is why he got into medicine. Saving lives. As he worked to save the man's life, he contemplated the situation. He was grateful he was out of costume, because in costume, he wouldn't have been able to save the man's life, even if he'd been able to help solve whatever was going on. To him, saving lives and protecting people was the most important part of his life. Moreso than fighting crime. Once he was done, he looked up.

"He'll be alright, but you need to get him out of the tear gas area completely. Don't want him relapsing." He said, looking around. He was looking for injuries severe enough to warrant a doctor. He stood up and scanned the crowd. This, this was rough. It was almost like a disaster area already. He needed to think fast.

GM

The Police Chief coughed, spluttered, and jolted upright. 

"You saved my life, Senor!" he said, weakly, kissing Tyrone's hand. His English was good, but not perfect. 

"What is happening here?" he asked, before some of the policemen around his started swarming around him, talking to him in high speed, mopping his brow, and keeping him upright. The man was rumoured to be corrupt, but he was popular even so. And his officers clearly liked him - or perhaps were intimidated by him. 

Or perhaps both. 

The man was ill, nevertheless, wheezing and wan. He probably had pneumonia, a collapsed lung, and who knows what damage from his cardiac arrest. But he seemed at least roughly coherent of speech. 

He turned to Megan, Erick, and Tyrone. 

"Americano's! I thank you for your aide. But I hear that something is sweeping the carnival into chaos from my men. Please...see the Mayor, at once. Tell him what has happened....we must stop this before the city erupts into the flames of riots!"

A little later, the Mayors Office...

was smoking a cigar and nervously looking at a map of Rio with a senior police officer when the three "Americano's" where ushered in. 

To one side stood his wife, Sandra Santo, looking out at the Carnival and drinking a deliciously aromatic coffee. 

On another, stood a tall and powerful woman, dressed in Spandex and decorated with the colours and flag of Brazil. In her hand she carried a flag pole and flag of Brazil. She gazed at the three Americans with a totally unreadable and neutral face. 

"Ah! The Americans! You, at least, have helped stem the tide of chaos that grows in the city! Incidents, fires, fights, theft, chaos! chaos! everywhere!" he moaned, wiping his brow scarred with lines of worry. 

"You, I know! Velocity, from the freedom league! You have my thanks, and, I confess, my plea for your aide. I don't know what going on, what thread intertwines all of this madness. But it creeps, creeps and grows! It is evening now, and the party is in full swing. It will be a disaster!" he gulped. 

Velocity had breathed a sigh of relief as the doctor she had found managed to revive the police chief.  As other police officers came to help their chief upright and secure him, the speedster had stepped back slightly, until the chief had requested the go see the Mayor to try to help him deal with the chaos spreading around the city. 

Megan of course had known full well that once she had donned her costume and become involved, there was a good chance she would be asked to provide more help.  As much as she would rather be out dancing, that was not even an option now either, given the chaos breaking out anyway.

As the three made their way to the mayor, something that was MUCH slower than speedster would normally be used to given the need to wait for the other two, Velocity took a moment to glance at her phone to see if there was any text from Robert to indicate he was safe.

Once in the mayor's presence, the young heroine had given a smile to Lady Brazil, whom she had recognized, even if she did not know much else about the woman.  She then focused her attention on the mayor, as he specifically requested her assistance in trying to deal with whatever was going on.

"I am certainly happy to help Mr. Mayor."  She replied with a nod. 

GM

There was indeed a flashing light on Velocities (or Megan's) phone. A message that Robert was ok. But was the Carnival? It was dated only five minutes previously, as the three heroes (or their alter ego's) were being fawned over by pen pushers in the Mayor's office. 

Message from Robert Harrow

Where are you? Are you ok?

Party is wild! Had to stay out a bit longer!

Heard a fire broke out nearby, chaos!

Worried about you. It's hot and loud here, crowds happy.

Is it getting ugly here? Lots of sirens. 

After that thief, I am being careful. 

Take care, Let me know you are safe...

On way to hotel...

Love,

R

The flag, the 'I've been there' look, if the costume itself wasn't telling enough Erick took a moment to take being in the same room as Lady Brazil.  Having grown up with Lady Liberty as an idol of sorts, the young man had an appreciation for all manner of patriotic helmed heroes as it call came back to the one he viewed as a hero as a child.  Suffice to say he had to make sure and take a moment to not gush all over her.  Even if it would sell the tourist stick a bit better, it would have been plain embarrassing.

"I could go back to my hotel room and place a few calls.  See if I can pay for some international aid, considering how big the event I doubt there wouldn't be a line of people seeking to take credit for helping."  Erick calmly offered as the plight of the city began to be explained realizing that La Rosa may not be the biggest issue at the moment.  In reality, Erick just wanted to get better dressed for the occasion.  Something that required getting

Based on the pattern of behavior, Tyrone knew that this was not only a spreading riot, but that someone was doing it deliberately. He was not going to allow this to pass if he could stop it. Unfortunately, there was nothing that he could do about it at the moment, not as Tyrone. Graft, however, could do so.

"I'm happy to help, but I'm going to go help people out there, tending to the wounded and such. Sorry I'm not much use, but I'm just a doctor." He said. He walked away from the area and searched for a secluded area. Once he was certain that he'd managed to evade sight, he dropped the backpack and let the creature pool at his feet in a liquid puddle.

It responded instantly to his actions, clinging to his feet and crawling up his legs. It lifted him up, supporting his legs and adding about an extra foot to his height. It poured over his body, shifting into tendons and bones as it covered him.

His body visibly bulked up as it covered his arms and torso, making him look far larger and more intimidating than he was out of costume.

He closed his eyes and let the creature cover his face and eyes. Then he reopened them. The creature connected itself to his nervous system, bypassing his normal eyes in exchange for stimulating his optic nerves directly.

The suit shifted and hardened into a shell, and Graft decided to 'find' Velocity and approach her with the alibi that he'd seen her while he'd been in the crowd.

Edited by Thunder King