General Malaise (IC)

Supercape

Subito wasn't nearly as used to hospital visits as Young Britannia, making up for it as best he could be being cheerful, optimistic and as sunny as one could be despite knowing a lot of the children he was talking to were probably far beyond the help he could offer, let alone Why-Bee. The two superheroes had one big advantage though: their powers and brilliant costumes lit up the place wherever they went, and that alone seemed to do the patients good, as did Subito's patience for people pulling and poking at his costume and wanting to try on his hat.

But the gloomy young faces brightening up with hope was a memory now, and they had their work before them. Malaise had to be stopped for good and all.

At Young Britannia's question, the younger paragon shrugged his broad shoulders "I don't know...well," he corrected himself sharply "I mean, don't know for sure. You got a way to carry the thing without needin' to really touch it? Even just a little piece of  solid light or something?" Looking at the dangerously unassuming safe, he wondered seriously if it wouldn't be better to just carry the blasted thing in the metal box and have done with it.

"We can always hit her with a safe," he said aloud, quite by accident "hitting her with the Chains wouldn't be too smart, 'cause then she'd...uh...sorry, thinkin' aloud" he muttered quickly as he caught Agnus' eye, looking away and feeling more than a little foolish. Why was everyone who had the same powers as him so much older? And smarter for that matter? That wasn't fair at all.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agnus clicked her finger as her face brightened up, though not literally on this case as she could do if she wished.

“I have an idea wait here for just a minute. Shan’t be long.â€

There was another flash of light as Agnus teleported away, only for her to her return a few minutes later with a large carpet bag and a pair of wooden tongs. She gently thrust the bag into Subito hand indicating for him to hold the bag open. As she thumbed the safe code with the said tongs she explained her plan.

“What I’ll do is transfer the chains into that bag with these tongs and then put the lot into the dimensional space where my clothes go when I transform. Then when we’re ready we can retrieve the bag and us the chain as we wish. Cause now all we need is that plan...â€

Taking the carpet bag with unusual grace Heraldo watched the other national hero curiously, edging unconsciously nearer in case the safe exploded or summoned a horrible creature. The idea of switching the Chains from one mystically-augmented state to another was frankly one that had not occurred to him, given his own relatively less varied abilities, and instantly set his brain whirling with other things this kind of storage could be used for. 'You could keep people in there while taking them to the hospital! Carry contaminated stuff without needing to worry about it affecting anyone! Maybe even imprison supervillai-' he paused, that avenue raising some uncomfortable questions, then plunged onwards 'anyway, you could at least move supervillains when getting them to the cops, less chance of their buddies breaking them out of the truck unless they're mystically-attuned. You could maybe even stick a bomb in one if you had to! That's not to mention all the stuff you could do with water or food or building stuff...'

Aloud he said "Well as for plans, I was just thinking we ought to clobber Malaise when she shows up for the Chains, but from what Eldrich said that scheme's got unforeseen problems. Especially if her spirit's in that kid, that..." he scowled behind his broad cloth mask "...is kinda cruel. She'll know she has the upper hand, right? We're not going to beat on a little girl like that. So I guess we...I don't know." he glanced around the studio for a little while, weighing what their options were.

Happening to catch sight of a marginally more cluttered(Zenith Studios had the usual problem of small buildings in that everything soon became gravitationally attracted to everything else and clustered together) corner he started, turning back with an excited grin "Hey, Why-Bee! I got an idea! What if we asked to meet her in person, instead of through that kid? She's gotta know she won't get anywhere if she keeps this up because now we know she's involved, and you have a bunch of pull with the super-mages who aren't bound like Mr. Eldrich. Then we could get her and her power barred from here forever! Maybe she could even be cut off forever from her realm of power!"

The safe appeared mostly empty, apart from a few rather official looking documents, there was a slight flicker as if the sun was catching an object even though the room was currently shaded. Then slowly the flicker seemed to become more solid until the vague outline of a chain began to appear.

“It’s not just a clever interdimensional storage space. It hard to explain but it’s like the thought-sphere of the entire United Kingdom. I’ve heard that people have even entered such realms and visited the spirit of the land itself. Though I’ve yet to have the balls to try such a thing. Best not to stick to much stuff in there, just in case.â€

The chain was more solid now and Agnus carefully moved the chain with the tong and placed it in the bag. Which almost as quickly disappeared into the dimension she was just talking about.

“Talking to Malaise is a risky business considering what happened last time. Best to start with the intermediary until we know her true strength.â€

Heraldo's face fell a little when his fellow spirit-bearer explained that the otherworldly space was so limited, but nodded at her suggestion. "An excellent plan. I'll hang back and let you do the talking! I probably would just try to punch her after a couple of words" he admitted sheepishly "and that wouldn't get us anywhere good."

Again, the fact that their enemy was hiding behind a child cut somewhere deep within him. The word 'coward' seemed to fit pretty well, though Subito knew Malaise had little enough concern for what others thought of her.

Rising into the air and turning to go the colorful paragon paused, and glancing back added "I'd like to hear more about that 'thought sphere' thing, sounds rather interesting given how similar our patrons are in a lot of ways. As we go, 'course!"

• 2 weeks later...

GB

Back at Hanover Zoo...

"Why there, mighty fine pleasure to see you, Miss Britannia, and you too, Mister Heraldo, Sir" said Willis, doffing his Zookeeper hat and flashing them both a brilliant toothy grin that lived in exuberance on his face. 

"Ahm feeling dandy, just dandy today, thanks to you, Ma'am! that light of yours, you should bottle it and sell it, I say. My wife, she never seen me so fine! said she thought I was ten years younger yesterday, I swear!" he explained, with a wink. 

"The swamp, you say? Well, I can show you to that corner of the Zoo, my pleasure!"

The Zoo itself had several micro-ecologies, the swamp being one of them, housing alligators, frogs, snakes, and a whole megarie of insects and buzzing things, as well as a teeming flora. 

Willis twiddles his thumbs. 

"Well, here it is. Stay out, dangerous animals, that's the rules. Only qualified zookeepers past the wire" he explained, pointing to the reinforced glass that separated the visitors from the dangerous animals. "Guess I can let you guys in with me, though, as I am qualified and you are my guests!"

Agnus looked at the man with a kind yet firm look on her face. IN circumstances like this it was best to go with the absolute truth, abet a little edited.

“I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to trust us a little more than that. The two of us need to go into that mini swamp alone. We’re about to meet a very power entity, the one that made you sick, and we can’t be worried about your safety along with our own.†her face softened a little and she gave a smile

“Trust me I have no desire to see any of these animals harmed in any way, we’re be as careful as we can.â€

GM

Willis shuffled his feet. He was obviously a stickler for rules, despite his goodwill to the pair. He took pride in his job, and was probably good at it. 

"Well..." he said, slowly, not looking them directly the eye. 

"It's damn wrong, ya know. Damn wrong. I'll be hung drawn and quatered for this. If you gets eaten..." he whistled between his teeth. "But then again, you pretty much saved this zoo, and me. And you are superheroes, so I guess you wont get eaten. But you gotta make sure you don't hurt the animals?" he said, carefully. 

"My job, ya see! its not just making sure the animals are safe from the tourists, its also the other way round. Crocodiles, lions, snakes. Well they can be mighty dangerous, f'shure...but you'd be surprised how dangerous we are them" he said, with concern. 

"So just be careful. No lightning bolts, or laser bombs, or anything like that" he said, with a smile that tempered his worry. 

"Here you go then" he said, unlocking the gate and letting them both into the swamp complex, which was an assault on eyes, ears, and nose. Its was fetid, damp, and artificially heated. Not a tolerable place to be for long. Buzzing insects swarmed around them, and their feet sank slowly into the mud and ooze under them. 

"Don't worry, Mr. Willis! We won't so much as give anything a left cross unless it's absolutely necessary!" El Heraldo gave the man an enthusiastic thumbs-up before setting off into the enclosure, the Bandera slung over one shoulder with flag furled. As he marched in he added over his shoulder "Me and Why-Bee can heal stuff too, Your animals should be safe as Fort Knox with us."

He was in good spirits, until they had to walk across the thick mud and noisome water.

Heraldo grimaced in disgust as he felt the muck seep around his boots 'Argh. Yuck. Blegh...hey, Dama, can I fly, please? Will it benefit anyone but you? Uh...not really? Then no. But Dama Azul! If I fly, then everyone afflicted by Madame Malaise will be better defended! I can better bring Victory to the forces of Justice! It would be a dire thing if I remained earth-bound! It would be a worse thing if you lost your powers from selfishness. No. And shush. That is a stupid rule. It's gonna get me killed one of these days. You don't hear about Lady Liberty losing her powers because she didn't feel like walking to Freedom Hall, or dying because she was the only one fighting some bad guy, or, I dunno, catching some gross disease because her Spirit was a JERK and wouldn't let her fly! The Spirit of Liberty loses its power when bound by evil. You are comparatively lucky. Blagh, fine. You're not gonna weaken on that, so I'll drop it. But we're having a talk after this is over!'

Engrossed in the mental debate, the patriotic young paragon didn't pay enough attention to their surroundings to see much that was going on, and it made what little information he knew about animals go far away into the hinterlands of his broodings. The colorfully costumed young man cut an odd figure, even next to the walking Union Jack that was Young Britannia. "Britannia, are there mosquitoes in England?" he asked, swatting several away from his face hot and sweaty face "'Cause if so, I'm thinkin' they might be a sign God doesn't like us too much. Think Malaise really will show up? " he added in a lower register.

Edited by Arichamus
  • 4 weeks later...

Agnus floated about the foul smelling muck of the fake swamp more than happy that she didn’t have to trapse through the thing. She even tried for a little levity, mostly to keep down the nerve due to what they were trying.

“Delusions of grandeur, check, Ego the size of a planet, check, And unexplained love of that litte butt of yours, check. I’m thinking it a given.†she check off the points in her hand as she spoke.

“Beside she’ll want the chain back and she know that she’ll have to deal with us for it.â€

GM

The Jungle display seemed horribly alive. Both El Heraldo and Young Brittania had that same sense, something peculiar and strange, that was the hallmark of Lady Malaises essence. A smell, a sound, a feeling. 

Where is the chain...

Where is the chain...

Where!

Where!

Hissed voices, from inhuman voices, faint. Called from the mouths of beasts, the monkey, the bird, the...

Crocodile!

The giant beast, fifteen feet long, splashed through the water, giving speed and ferocity to its attack. Even as it thrashed about, the two heroes could feel coils around their feet, under the thin sheen of black water they waded through. 

Plants? Tendrils? Vines? coiling around their legs. And wait...!

Not just plants...

Snakes!!!

Each felt the twang of snake fangs on their ankles...

Heraldo let loose an echoing shriek of pain as he felt the fangs close on his ankle, the venom-tipped needles puncturing the hard leather and tearing his flesh...and swung his foot backwards, shaking off the serpent in a flashing arc into the water with an angry bark, his body flaring with the Blue Dame's power. "Finally, some action!" the muscular boy said with a grimace "Wish it wasn't here though, of all places."

Turning on the suddenly-roiling water, he whipped the Banner into a ready stance, with the result that his broadly-spaced legs were seized by the coiling plants! Struggling furiously against them, he caught the sound of the approaching crocodile and jumped just in time to feel them break and snap under the attack.

Staggering to firmer ground and planting himself, the young paragon took a quick look at the battleground. Seeing Young Britannia in the grip of the water streamers, and held fast by the croc's tail he held the Banner high, letting its light blaze forth. The flying standard of Puerto Rico transformed into a flag as black as pitch, shining rays of primordial terror into the hearts of the beasts. It whispered of the dread of approaching battle, and the menace of a power far greater than theirs, filling them with a desire to flee, and never stop running until they were free of the accursed light!

"Not gonna start by beating you up! You're just pawns of Malaise, that'd be a jerk move. But if that's what it takes, that's what's coming!" he called to the animals.

• 3 weeks later...

GM

The animals and the vines retreated, stung emotionally. That fangs and venom had no effect on the two heroes probably stung too. Malaise was no fan of defeat, although she had a twisted sense of humour. 

The Crocodile paced a few feet back, splashing, sullen, and angry. Its eyes were black, and faded to black, and then to green...the eyes of Malaise herself stared at the two heroes. 

"So my love, it has been a long time...a very long time. But I don't forget easily, especially when the memories were so delicious! And here you are, the pair of you, young, vital, and full of life..." she said out of the Crocodiles mouth, which caused a very strange sound indeed. Still, the intonation and melody of the Witch was there for all to hear. 

"What brings you to my domain in this city? I see all here! Why does the spider walk into the web?"

• 2 weeks later...

El Heraldo stared in brief confusion at the talking croc, before he lowered the Bandera and relaxed his posture a little. He kept a close watch on the creature though, knowing what was behind those shifted eyes.

"Hail, Queen of Murk." he said with strained politeness "Dunno why I get called 'love', I don't remember that coming up much when...um...yeah. Anyway, on subjects that aren't likely to make me regret dating a ninja, we're here to make a deal." Cautiously, as he spoke Subito began slowly putting the Bandera into the ring on his jacket, keeping his eyes on the possessed animal "See, we kind of don't agree with that you're doing and want you to stop, and my friend here has something that might make you consider it." Stepping forward he glanced meaningfully at Young Britannia, eyes darting from her to Malaise.

'This is really not my strong suit, glad we don't have to fight but hopefully I won't have to do much of the talking If that is the case, then we need to get to work on it, my Herald! I suggest we start by going to some local debate clubs I've noticed around the city, and we can't neglect city politics! If you're going to become a diplomat then we need to look into study courses, try and make connections with some of the people in the Chamber of Commerce, you might have a good perspective considering the places you work...'

For no reason either of the two women could see, Heraldo made a long-suffering sigh.

Edited by Arichamus