General Malaise (IC)

Supercape

Agnus gave the Zookeeper one of her winning smiles as she floated over.

“You were probably under some kind of influence, trust me it could have been much worse.†she gave Subito a knowing look “The snake was as well so go easy on her, maybe an extra rat as a treat.â€

She plucked her special phone for the ether, the one she used for superhero business.

“Here you can have have my number, and we'll be back to help tomorrow. What time would be best? Oh and I’m definitely not his girlfriend, so I’m open to offers.†she gave the man a cheeky wink.

Edited by TiffanyKorta
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

The next day...

"Hello, hello, are you there? We got a problem" muttered the Zookeeper, Willis, over the phone. 

"I don't know what happened. All my staff, they phoned in sick. I..I'm not to good myself" he said through chattering teeth. "The place has been closed, the public health authorities are here...apparently everyone - or at least, everyone we can trace, has come down with something...it's like the bubonic plague...sweating, temperature, aching so badly that they can hardly move..." he groaned. 

"What happened? who did this? you got to stop this! apparently some people in hospital...even one guy in the ICU, not sure if he is gonna make it..." he said, fear gripping his voice. 

Subito hadn't expected Agnus's text in the slightest. He had been anticipating something about Malaise, something about the snake, anything but the news that everyone at the zoo had suddenly become horribly sick. His own cheerful day and good health suddenly had a pretty big shadow over it, and he'd been glad to get away, to do something at last.

Zipping through the sky surrounded by a thin golden mist, El Heraldo paused above the Hanover Zoo. Looking down he quietly surveyed the now-deserted paths until he spotted a knot of people including the Zookeeper, then pulled out his phone from an inner pocket to glance again at the message blazing on the screen. Wincing at the words 'plague' the young paragon swooped down and and landed with a thud of his boots next to the orangutan cage, ignoring their shrieks and whoops of surprise blasting through his head as he marched over to the cluster of officials, tapped one of them on the shoulder and said politely when she turned "Hi, I'm El Heraldo, my comrade Young Britannia should be here soon. You mind telling me what you've found so far? Please?" he added awkwardly. The sun beating down on his dazzlingly loud costume was a lot like the one yesterday, and already he knew with a deep gloom that this was going to be a long, long day. With his arms crossed and his face as impassive as it could be, he did his best not to show it.

Glancing over her shoulder(floating slightly up so he could see) he added to the Zookeeper "I can try to heal you if you'd like, Mr. Willis. I'm not as good as Why Bee, but I'm not bad!" he said with a wan grin.

The phone call woke her from far too little sleep, one of the disadvantages of living a transatlantic life. A slightly tired sounding Agnus listened to the call with growing horror, it sounded like the kind of thing they’d encountered in a swamp in the 19th century.

“Okay my colleague will be there shortly, I’ll be there as soon as I can.â€

After making absolutely sure that the Zookeeper was fine she sent a text to Subito telling him as much information as she could. After all it was a much more sensible hour for him. Then on the her other, personal, phone she sent a text to Auntie Lucy that she would probably miss there breakfast. Luckily she would understand, they we’re about equal for missed meetings.

After a quick shower, no need to go a heroing dirty, she was ready to go and try help. Having already been to the zoo she decided to teleport directly there appearing not too far from Subito and the zookeeper about five minutes after Subito him arrived.

“Hi sorry I was late, bit of a commute, what can I do to help?â€

• 2 weeks later...

GM

"I could sure do with any help..." muttered Willis, sweating profusely. The man looked ill to even the untrained eye. Very ill. 

Fortunately, El Heraldo's power washed through him, exterminating whatever foul disease it was. The man looked positively reborn after the unconventional treatment. A little tired, but alive again. 

Willis scratched his thinning white hair, contemplating the situation. 

"I don't know what happened, to be honest, young man, and young lady" he said, somehow insinuating in those few words he viewed the two as a couple. 

"Just that, all those people yesterday, they came down with what I have. Every damn one of them. Well, we had them all packed up so tightly, whatever bug someone had, could have spread like wildfire. And I damned if I know why we did that. Against every protocol, and common sense. We were lucky that there wasn't a stampede. I just don't know why I was so stupid..." he shook his head in anger, as if shaking off some mental fog. 

"Half my staff are down too. More than half. And we have had to shut the zoo today. What the hell happened? some animal got some super virus or something? the giant snake maybe? but...that snake didn't touch hardly anyone. Just that little girl. And she, for some reason, is fine..."

He shook his head again, deeply disturbed. 

"Do you know anything? what was  that snake?"

The young man smiled and bowed a little as the Blue Dame's power took effect and banished the Maiden's sickness...though the zookeeper's tone when he said 'young man and young lady' made his grin freeze and then contort for a few seconds as he tried to not glower at the man. "We are not-" 'He was merely making an assumption, it is hard to tell how old you are in your costume I assume stuff all the time! And I don't go thinking two people are together just because! Hush, Herald! Now let's answer his questions and solve the mystery'

Sliding the Banner onto its holster set on his blue and gold coat with a little more force than necessary, Subito told Willis with crisp politeness "Sir, we have dealt with the one behind this before. Their hideous power to sway the minds of the unwary is a danger even to such as I or Young Britannia and she spreads sickness wherever she goes. From what you've said, you and a lot of others must've been attacked by her to cause the stampede while she escaped..." His grim stare suddenly fell to the ground as he mumbled glumly "...and I think that little girl was the one I got away from the snake. And that she's probably under the same person's control."

He looked up with fiery eyes "The snake was innocent, that much I know for sure. Why-Bee-I mean, Young Britannia" he blushed slightly in embarrassment at his mistake "She can tell you about that better than I can. How can we help here?"

Edited by Arichamus

“There’s a malicious entity that some idiot called Madame Malaise, she’s sort of a spirit of swamp and disease. We’ve met her before but only delayed her activities.â€

She concentrated for a few second’s and produced a little globe of glowing light a comforting little light that reminded her of a night light. it wasn’t often she projected her power’s out like this but it seemed the best way to get everything done.

“This is a portion of my healing gift, in a handy portable form, take it round to everyone and it should cure the disease.†she turned to El Heraldo

“We need to track down Malaise again, I don’t suppose you know the current Master Mage do you?â€

"That's an awesome trick Britannia!" El Heraldo commented admiringly 'Hey, Dama Azul! When do I get to learn how to do that? When you are ready. Which will not be for at least a year or more, and that's if you start surprising me Aw, you're going soft on me, Dama! Why I-I am doing no such thing, Herald! I knew it! You do love me! Hmph! We will talk more when you are not in such a childish temper'

Grinning at seemingly nothing, the colorful teen paragon took a moment to realize he was being spoken to, and when he did he looked a little startled. A hint of nervousness crept into his voice as he fiddled with his gloves "Ummmm not...personally? He is named Eldrich and lives somewhere within this great city, but I have no idea where he lives." he looked glum "In sc-during my time as Herald" he corrected himself smoothly, glancing almost imperceptibly sideways at the nearby health inspectors and zookeeper Willis "I have learned he is often busy with things far beyond this world. Could be super-hard to get in touch with him before things get worse!"

“You’d be surprised she’s a much a threat now than she was back then, even more so. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was already aware of something, unless he’s off on some kind of mystical jaunt. I’m just not sure if Master Mage’s compare notes, or if they can...â€

She looked thoughtful for a few second.

“Besides all we need is someone who could track Malaise back to her source. I don’t know anybody of such a mystical bent in Freedom City. Iit’s not like they all live in one house like some sort of modern Addams family...â€

Edited by TiffanyKorta

Subito began to nod in gloomy agreement when he remembered. Blushing furiously in embarrassment he said "Actually Young Britannia, you may be more right that you know!" turning with a smile to the statuesque paragon he added to the health inspectors and the zookeeper "My healing powers aren't on the same level has Why-Bee's, but I'll add the Banner of Victory to her gold ball of healing stuff if you need it!" With a polite bow he returned to the English paragon.

"I've made friends with an awesome bunch of magic people in a mansion on Lantern Hill! I don't know if they call themselves anything, but they know a lot about stuff like this! We could ask them if the Master Mage is already engaged or otherwise indisposed" He knew the words clashed a little, but at least they had something to work with now!

Agnus’s managed to hide her surprise, apart from a slight raise of the eyebrow, but managed to sound like it was an everything thing.

“Well I never, this city never manages to surprise me. Why don’t you contact them whilst I take Mr Willis here to hospital so he can deal with the sick.â€

She walked over to the recovering Zookeeper and touched him gently on the shoulder and gave him a reassuring smile.

“Do you have any problem with being teleported? I promise you that it only tickles, it takes a second so you won’t feel a thing.â€

Edited by TiffanyKorta

GM

As if by magic...

"Teleported?" asked the Zookeeper, surprised and somewhat anxious. "I don't think I have ever been..."

He paused, frozen for in time. His mouth was open. 

It did not move, and yet sound called. 

"You called?" came the ethereal voice from the Zookeepers mouth. 

"Please do not be alarmed. This man is perfectly safe and no harm will come to him!" came the voice, all velvet and zephyr. "My name is Adrain Eldritch. I have many ways of being subtle and watchful, and I need them more than ever when it comes to dealing with the Swamp Queen" he said. 

"Yes, I know of her. Her history was recorded, and recorded well, by Broken Crow, and has been passed down in the secret tomes of the Master Mages ever since. We have been aware of her threat, and done our best to divert her..."

"...but alas, our powers are limited at best. Whatever she took from Broken Crow, she took well. The power of the Master Mage is useless against her. I cannot interfere directly" he said with some obvious frustration. 

"Although we do of course delight in interfering against her indirectly!" he said more brightly. 

Agnus to her shame actually gave a little jump when Eldritch spoke, there was still things about it life that caught her unawares.

Well I hope he didn’t record everything, or he at least remember me well.

“Well we’ve already interacted with her directly, as you probably already know, and she had quite an effect in us both.†she gave El heraldo a look and a raised eyebrow. her face and voice then took on a much more serious tone.

“What we really need to know is where exactly she’s hiding and how we can stop her influence. We were lucky she didn’t know who we were last time, we’re not going to be so lucky this time.â€

"Gragh!" Subito stumbled backwards in surprise at the abrupt shift from 'everday supervillainy' to 'crazy magic stuff', halfway to a fighting stance before Eldrich introduced himself. With a rustle of the smooth cloth of his jacket, he sheepishly rubbed the back of his head and stood back beside Young Britannia, holstering the Bandera.

He felt the other patriotic spirit-bearer's glance and blushed furiously at the oblique mention of what had happened, snapping back at her "Yeah Why-Bee, she affected us both really deeply. You're right though, won't be so easy this time..." it was obvious that he was still uncomfortable about what had happened in the mire. Turning with a slight hunch of his broad blue shoulders to the Master Mage Mouthpiece Man, he said a little more politely "How can we deal with her Mr. Eldrich if you can't? And what Britannia said, do you know where this Swamp Queen crazy person is?"

"We call her Madame Malaise" he added after a moment's thought, jerking a thumb at his comrade "Her idea.".

Edited by Arichamus

Agnus shuffled her feet and actually looked a little embarrassed.

“It was a spur of the moment thing, I didn’t expect the stupid term to actually stick.â€

It was almost too easy to forget that this voice was coming from a actual real person, one who was about to help a lot of sick people. She knew for all their caring nature Master Mage’s could sometimes miss the little details. Well she was going to make sure that it didn’t happen here.

“I don’t mean to rush you, but there are a lot of very sick people who need help, another of Madame Malaise’s gifts.â€

• 3 weeks later...

GM

"It is a suitable name!" came the unearthly laugh of the Master Mage. 

"You can both act where the master mage cannot. Her...influence on Broken Crow has lead to her creating a wall that we cannot breach. It is...nauseating...for us to penetrate, even if we could. I do not know where her foul power comes from, but I suspect she is but a priestess, a channel, to some awful entity beyond our comprehension. At least, so is the speculation of the master mages!"

"But you are not bound by her power. You can act - directly - whilst all I can do is impart our wisdom and knowledge of her"

"Madame Malaise, as you call her, has gone by other names. The Swamp Queen, The Green Death. The Lady of Fever. And other less suitable ones. She lives in a dimension other than this, a mystical place of endless swamp and heat. But she has such a connection to the swamps and marshes. Her tentacles, eyes, and spies reach into our world, but only through the plants, earth and creatures of the swamp!"

"She has her agents, too. The degenerate clan of a hundred races. Pirates, slaves, and vagabonds. As far as we know, the lady was a slave herself, in the seventeenth century or thereabouts. Somehow she obtained her dark power, and gathered other slaves and miscreants to her, gathering them into the swamps..."

"Where she is know, I cannot scry. But this is a zoo, and her tendrils will be here. Ever she tries to infect the world, but her motivations are unclear - she is unpredictable, wild, and prone to acts of kindness as well as cruelty. She values all life, including diseases!"

El Heraldo's face briefly fell when Eldrich told them he couldn't just blast Madame Malaise into oblivion, but he brightened up a lot when the Master Mage told them what he knew. "Our thanks, Master Eldrich!" the young paragon grinned in excitement "That's super-helpful, an' makes our next move a lot easier to figure out." He actually wasn't too sure what they were going to do, but the mystic marvel had given them something to work with, and a hint at who their foewoman really was under the slimy fog. 'Okay, so let's get this straight: she's really big about life, all life, meaning she pro'lly won't kill anyone with that sickness Or she might loosen her morals. Or else she might let those humans die to breed more small life Yeah sure you ray of sunshine, murder's totally on the agenda. Anyway, she's gonna be lookin' for the Chains, right? So... Speak and have done with it, what is your plan Herald?'

Heraldo shook himself from the short reverie he'd fallen into, looking up at the two adults with shining hazel eyes "Hey, guys! I've got an idea: we could use the Chains as bait, tell Madame Malaise through that kid she's enslaved we wanna make a deal with her in person so nobody else gets hurt, and when she shows up we defeat her and Mr. Eldrich can seal her away!"

• 1 month later...

Agnus probably understood better that most about how magic worked, it was a world she’d had several centuries to understand.

“I wouldn’t completely put trust in that remember that deaths bring forwards new life and all, we might not be the top of her favorite species list.â€

She listened as Subito came up with a plan involving using the chain as bait.

“I’m not sure I want to chain to be used it has an unfortunate influence on people, it even had a effect on me.†she looked rather sheepish at this revelation “It took me months to get the chain safe, it’s a safely a few second’s out of synch with the rest of us.â€

Edited by TiffanyKorta

GM

"'Tis a grave risk indeed. Know that the Chains of Lemuria are known to me, and to the master mages of old. Forged in a forgotten time, when the Serpent People ruled the Earth. It is a symbol of slavery, oppression, and domination. And not merely a symbol either. As you know, it has power over those it ensnares. And a more subtle influence over those that wield its power. A corruption best buried deep..."

Adrian's voice was serious and sombre. 

"And yet Malaise is a threat of the opposite nature. Her power is absolute anarchic freedom. Chaos. She was born in the islands of the new world, a creature cooked from Piracy, Slavery, and the melting pot of cultures and creed. She would abhor the chains more than any alive. She demands only unrestrained life! The Chains, if she is aware of them, would be a target she could not resist..."

"And in this matter we may, if risk taken, destroy two birds with one stone. She would have the power to rend the chains, and none other I know of in this or other worlds would..."

"I'm sure we can pull this off, Young Britannia!" Heraldo said to her with a grin "We're not too bad at the hero thing, and with your mystic understanding and the wisdom of Eldrich to guide us, how can we lose?" To the Master Mage he added respectfully "Great sir, can this be done without too much risk of anyone coming under the Chain's power? I don't have to tell you that would be a bad thing to happen, and it could make the scheme a whole lot simpler!" by now the initial self-confidence of being in front of the world's foremost mystical guardian was starting to lose its edge, and talking to Eldrich was only somewhat accompanied by a thrill in his stomach instead of whirlpool of giddiness.

Suddenly the young man frowned, and tilting his hat back a little he regarded the man seriously "Wait...you say Madame Malaise is all about chaos, and backed by some kind of super-evil monsters we can't understand. Could we break their hold over her? Does all her anarchy stuff come from that, or is it more her own thing?"

GM

"I do not know. Certain realms and strange dimensions are unknown to even me" explained Eldritch. 

"The cult of the yellow sign, for instance. The strange and terrible gods they worship are beyond comprehension. I suspect Malaise worships from that domain of madness...." he trailed of, his voice tense for a moment. 

"I fear she will break before her God's hold over her does. One is entwined with another, and it is not a displeasing union. She is anarchic and mad as the thing she worships" he explained. 

• 3 weeks later...

“Well primal force’s aren't necessary unfathomable. Yes there are something that you shouldn’t touch with a mystical barge pole, but then again I know someone...†she paused and looked a little guilty as if she said too much. With a wry smile she subtle changed the subject.

“Well that beside the point. So if we want to set a trap for Madame Malaise what do you have in mind exactly? If we do need the chain  can take us to where I got it hidden, I’d rather not handle it more than I need.â€

GM

"A dangerous ploy, but well considered" answered Eldritch. 

"Do not think that the boundaries of this reality will stop her. Her domain does not lie within our world. She is strongest in her own domain, endless swamp and mire. It is from this land, its beasts, insects, and vines, that her eyes and tendrils will spring. You have already caught her eye, it seems, but she is a subtle and mad thing. Keep your wits about you"

"Set the trap then, and fare well. I will observe where I can, but know I cannot interfere" he finished, before Willis continued. 

"...teleported before" he finished, his eyes crossing slightly. 

He shook his head. 

"Good heavens, I just felt mighty peculiar in the head. Real mighty peculiar, God Bless my soul..." he muttered, pulling out a hand kerchief and patting his forehead. 

"Hey, wait!" Subito started towards the Master Mage, reaching out as he began to disappear "What about that gir-? Oh! I'm sure Mr. Willis, but it's really nothing you need worry about!" he quickly changed course as time resumed, smiling reassuringly at the zookeeper and clapping him on the shoulder. That talk with the great mystic protector was still reverberating through him, and for a moment Heraldo wondered if it was what he'd said, his sensitive hearing or the sheer power brought to bear for those few seconds.

"Young Britannia here is well-versed in the art, no need to fear." turning to the magnificently-coiffed English heroine he gestured with a grand sweep of his arm "If you would do the honors..." He knew that anything more they could do at the zoo would have to wait, there was a horrible queen of madness to trick!

Edited by Arichamus
  • 1 month later...

Agnus didn’t miss a beat as time resumed its course it was something you just seemed to get use to, and Young Britannia had centuries of experience with such things.

“Right Mr Willis let’s get you the hospital where you can do some good, El Heraldo will be accuponion us on this short hop. Don’t worry this won’t hurt a bit...â€

Agnus’s Office, Zenith Studio’s, a few hour later

Agnus had really tried to limit their visit to just a few minutes, after all this business with Madame Malaise was real important, but she couldn’t help but make time for as many sick people as she could. Once she had made sure those suffering from Malaise influence were okay, she had just popped down to visit all the sick children to see if they were okay. She couldn’t heal all of them, however much she wished she could, but any visit by a superhero even if they were not A-list heroes was an exciting thing for those poor kids. It had seemed like they had spent months there when it had only been a few hours.

With a quick check to see if Simmone was still around, she had obviously took an early day like Agnus had suggested, she pointed Subito’s attention to a rather innocuous little business safe set in the wall.

“The chains are locked in there under temporal stasis. I can stop the stasis but how should we handle the chains? They have a rather baleful effect on the people who handle them.â€