Blodeuwedd gave Kazra an encouraging look.

“I tell you a secret Kazra I’ve not got any power’s at all what I can do is thanks to years of dedication and training. Something that I’m sure you’ve had more than enough off. Being a hero is not about the power’s you have it’s what you’ve got up here and in here.†she tapped first her head and then her chest over her heart.

“Maybe when this is over you should come a see how we live, though why you’d want to give up paradise I don’t know. Cause you’d need your father and mother’s permission first.â€

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Racing over the tree-tops(and feeling more than a little frustrated at being treated as an errand-boy, even if by a Legate), El Heraldo had long settled into the comfortable speed that sent a pleasant breeze around him and through his clothes without turning the majesty of flight into just another way to get from one place to another. He could turn somersaults, do swoops and dives, and the graceful feeling reminded him that he was far above the ground, borne aloft on nothing but the power of a country's heart.

'I need to take Cerys flying sometime' he thought as the monkeys clustered in an impossibly-tall orange tree were dazzled by a golden streak roaring by 'It's like nothing el-' he was startled out of his reverie by the four dinosaurs rearing up out of the forest!

"Gah! Okay, can't leave you guys around for you to stomp somebody, sorry animales amigos!" he called out with a cocky grin, diving for the nearest one in a corkscrew, ready to kick it right in the neck!

GM

Heraldo's attack never reached its target, the young flier swatted out the air with shocking ease by an eight-foot thick and whiplike tail. It struck out from seemingly nowhere with a hail of broken branches and leaves, followed by a small sonic boom as the tip struck the boy in the chest like a sledgehammer! The blow knocked the wind clean out of Subito, and sent him crashing to the ground and through a tree, nearly unconscious, where the tail rose again...and fell with iron precision and power like an unwinding locomotive.

In the darkness of the jungle, shadowy figures rose up around the boy, cold golden eyes flickering at their new captive.

The wait was a lot longer for Giang than the others, but all four teens got to enjoy several long, dull hours watching the temple day wind down, even the delicacies sneaked up to them by a friendly priestess not doing much to make the time pass quicker. Kazra wasn't used to sitting still at all, and constantly fidgeted and complained about the floor and endless wafting incense.

At last, as the sun set and still no sign came of Subito, something happened. As the priests were performing the last rite of the day for Saturn, a quiet figure wrapped in white walked gravely in, welcomed with a casual benediction by the high priest, who seemed to recognize them. The figure knelt by the high statue of the cold god of lead and bountiful harvests, laying a small bundle at his feet.

It went unnoticed by all the priests, who went about the ritual in a businesslike way, and prepared to leave with the others come to pay homage.

It was picked up by another white-clad Roman, who unwrapped it while the others were departing. The thing flickered with jade light as it came undone. At once the messenger began hurrying off for the temple's recesses, thrusting it beneath his toga....

Edited by Arichamus
  • 2 weeks later...

Blodeuwedd was a patient woman with a lot of practice and just waiting for thing to happen. Most of the time in the temple was spent either getting to know the other two girls, or in simple meditation. But as the sun began to set Blodeuwedd began to suspect that something was wrong.

“Subito might have many irritating qualities tardiness isn’t one of them. Normally he’d do something like this and come right back.â€

She stood up ready and willing to spring into action.

“Somethings wrong we need to go and find Subito.â€

Like Cerys, Giang had a considerable amount of patience.  The Asian teen took turns on watch with Cerys, meditating at other times, and telling both the other girls some stories about her homeland.  As nightfall arrived, Giang also was beginning to feel a bit worried that Subito had not yet returned, but it was then that an exchange described by the Serpent Person was taking place below.

Looking over to Cerys, the Asian teen had a sympathetic look.  "I understand your concern, but right now we need to stop that spy and secure the message that was passed to the Serpent People here."  She stated, pointing down at the white-clad "Roman" below.

"Once we have intercepted the massive, then we will begin searching for Subito."

• 3 weeks later...

GM

Their whispered words didn't reach the bearded man and for a few moments it seemed he would be taken totally unawares...only for Giang's passage to cause a soft draught of air to strike the flames of an unusually high brazier. The shadows the flame cast framed her for only a second, but it was enough for the quick-eyed Roman who swung his face around just in time to catch a glimpse of the Chinese water-binder before she slid behind a pillar.

The effect was immediate. The man visibly paled and took to his heels, head bent, shoulders hunched and the jade bundle clutched to his chest! His sandaled feet hit the flagstones with a surprisngly soft claps, though he ran fast enough despite how quiet he was.

His target was a seeming impenetrable stone wall depicting Saturn driving snakes from a field. There was only one chance to catch him.

Meanwhile, miles away...

<"Awaken, rogue slave"> hissed the venemous voice that cut through El Heraldo's ears, clawed hands shaking him from his stupor so he could better obey the voice's commands. Trying to rub his face as he got awkwardly to his knees, the young paragon realized his hands were bound with dinosaur skin cut into strips. And that he was wearing his normal clothes. He looked up just in time to catch the sceptre on his cheek, the power behind the blow sending him crashing to the ground again with a sharp cry of pain and anger. Now fully awake and regretting it, the musuclar boy squinted at the coldly-lit room. The walls were covered in varying stripes of paint that created elegant patterns, the floor broad and covered in treated wood, windows set high on the towering walls let in sunlight that was neither warm nor bright even though the sun hung almost at the apex of the sky.

All around him in clothing a lot like he had seen in books on ancient Peruvians stood the Serpent People. Their eyes were colder than the light, and brighter. Many of them carried weapons. On the throne set in the exact center of the tall room(whose roof had the glint of gold) sat a Serpent in robes very unlike the others', more like the wizards he had seen in the oases but whole and richer. A crown shaped like a rayed sun Sun stood on his head, and a green sceptre bearing three snakes wearing Egyptian sun disks was in his long grip. "Th-the Hell are you? Where am I?" Subito demanded as he began working his way upright, suddenly lunging to his feet and shouting with fiery eyes "Oh wait that doesn't matter! Hold still while I get my power-argh!" He was brought down by a spear haft slamming across his back, though he glared up banefully and prepared to try again, calling out in his heart 'Hey, Dama Azul del Puerto Rico! I need your might to defeat th...wait, where are you? Hello? Dama!'

<"Remain on the ground, slave, and behold your emperess!"> growled the Serpent, leaning back in her chair. At a gesture two guards slid their spears into the loops of Heraldo's bonds, holding him still and preventing any further attempts and getting up to punch their emperess in the face. Glaring at the stuck-up Serpent Woman, Subito snarled "[/color=#808000]She anythin' special?" The creature grinned, a horrible sight <"Ah, good that you show no fear. It will make you an even better example to your comrades."> She raised the jade rod, continuing in a smug tone <"As for special...well I have managed to take the Serpent Sceptre, eternal symbol of my race's might and majesty over the world, and used it to gather the scattered tribes of this misbegotten sphere under my dominion, and enslaved the minds of the Great Brothers to my cause, and conquered an entire kingdom of this world over the last years by deceit alone...but special? Oh, certainly not as special as El Heraldo, minion of the spirit of that little island, now eternally bereft of his vaunted powers due to my mystic mastery! Hahahahahahaha!"> The queen and her court laughed at their captive, who stared at the monstrous woman in mounting horror. His inner voice had gotten no answer, not even the murmurs when she was being blocked.

Giang frowned as she inadvertently alerted their target to her presence.  With any pretext now gone, the teen felt little need for continued stealth, and broke into a run after the fleeing figure.  There was certainly something unusual about the man, as he was able to move quite quickly, but still be relatively silent regardless.

Noting the man's apparent path lead him straight towards a seemingly solid stone wall, the Asian teen decided it might be best to deny him access to the wall.  Bringing her hands up as she ran, Giang summoned a wall of solid water to form between the man and his destination.

GM

The Roman yelped in surprise and horror, sliding to a halt and staring at the liquid barriers all around him. Very slowly, he turned and regarded the quartet far above him. "I...I surrender" he managed quietly, his soft voice echoing in the temple. Withdrawing the small jade bundle from his toga he tossed it into the floor with a clatter, edging away and watching the young heroes with black eyes.

Kazra leaped from the catwalk in a smooth motion, rolling as she struck the ground and springing to her feet in a brown flourish, tangled hair swirling about her head as she leveled her spear at the man. "Talk" she growled "While you still can." Flicking the blade of the spear she sent the bundle sailing up onto the walkway several yards above the floor while still glaring at the would-be messenger who gulped and stepped slowly away from her, forcing out "No. I have nothing for you jungle barbarians, I serve the true force of civilization!" The jungle princess looked blankly at him "Wait, I thought the Serpents just wanted to kill humans? How is that 'civilized' even for the mad?" "How little you know" said the Roman with an unsteady grin as he glanced nervously at the teens above him "They will supplant us, and grant those who serve them well the gift of their forms, letting us unworthy warmbloods live on in the shadow of Yig!"

• 2 weeks later...

Blodeuwedd appeared from the shadow’s right behind the Roman, unarmed but ready if the man decided to fight his way out. She spoke in a loud whisper in the man’s ear’s.

“The Serpent Person are a proud and for the most part a paranoid people. Do you think they’ll allow anyone capable of deception to survive in there new world?â€

In fact the Serpent people were a good fit for the Roman method of politicians, from what she had been taught they made the Roman’s here look like amateurs. Maybe not Roman itself at it height, but there the Serpent people hadn’t dared to plot their downfall.

“All they want is docile sheep of act as slave and possibly food. You won’t last if they do succeed, and the Roman don’t lie traitors, we’re your best chance your only chance to survive this whole thing.â€

GM

There was silence as the Roman digested that tidbit of good news, and then he nodded slowly. "Very well, I'll-I shall do as you command." Drawing himself up and edging away from an unconvinced-looking Kazra he said quickly, glancing between the steely Jungle Princess and the teens up on the rafters "The Serpents plan to attack in five day's time so they will have the numbers to beat the Romans in the field, they've captured one of your number and taken him to their lair in the savage lands of Viracochasuyu. That flying boy, I believe" he added with a nervous look behind himself at the walls of water. Carefully tucking a few loose folds in his toga he went on more smoothly.

"There's some new empress of the Serpent lands, she has a power none of her predecessors had that is binding all the clans together for their gre-terrible, terrible work I mean." He looked a little shaky "Er...and many of the city beggars are Serpents. I was taking the message to their leader, please don't kill me!"

"And I was curious why you worked for them," Kazra snarled, sheathing the spear in a quick move and folding her arms "Who would have thought you were just a coward. What do we do now?" she asked the group as a whole "I say we head for the Sun Mountains right now, can't let that weird guy get killed. Though...how'd they capture one of you people? He seemed pretty tough."

Edited by Arichamus

Giang had listened carefully to the Roman traitor as he reveled what he knew of the Serpent People's plans, including the information that a number of them had infiltrated the city as beggars.  She was rather shocked to learn that Subito had apparently been captured, glancing over at Cerys briefly before focusing back on the Roman.

When he had finished and Kazra offered the suggestion that they should try to rescue Subito, the Asian teen gave a small nod.  "I agree.  We must make an attempt to rescue Subito.  In the process, we can possibly learn more about the Serpent People and their plans, and perhaps even uncover a means of further disrupting them."

"But, I believe it may be best for one of us to remain here.  Both to ensure this one," she indicated the Roman before them, "is not miss treated, and to try to root out more of these Serpent People spies that have infiltrated the city."  Giang stopped there.  While she felt comfortable enough making the suggestion, as the new student among the group, she felt it was not her place to suggest anyone for the task.

Edited by Thevshi
  • 2 weeks later...

GM

A few hours later

Kazra, Blodeuwedd and Giang were rushing upriver on one of Tsunami's waterspouts that supported a small platform. John had stayed behind to take care of business, a few key Latin phrases quickly learned to explain things if need be. Kazra had required a little persuasion to get aboard, but once they were off she soon got used to the strange craft, dangling her feet in the cool water and watching the Mountains of the Sun steadily approach. "You know," she commented thoughtfully in her English accent between bites of a fish she had speared "I had no idea everything could feel so..so close. I've never left the jungles back there, everything else seemed so remote, and besides meeting with a few ambassadors and visitors from your world never I've met so many unknown to me."

Swinging around to examine the Asian teen more closely she added "And nobody that looks like you. Are you from another world as well Giang? Blodev...Bloden...Cerys and John look sort of like most from Earth, and I think I've seen pictures of some who look like the flying boy or darker, but nobody with your face." She frowned, her plain and broad face stark in the cold moonlight "I wonder why?"

The only other sounds were the soft rustling of the slowly drying jungles on either bank, and the soft gurgle of the waterspout. Every now and again, however, a faint rumbling bellow resounded from the north. The dinosaurs were evidently not keen on being forgotten.

Giang had been focused on maintaining the flow of water that was carrying the small platform upriver, while also keeping an eye of the water below them for any signs of anything large that might be heading toward them.  When Kazra voiced her questions, the Asian teen looked over to the young girl.

"I am afraid I cannot say why you have never seen anyone who resembles me."  She began.  "But I can confirm that I am indeed from Earth, just a different region from John, Cerys or Subito.  I am originally from a country on a continent called Asia, and it is the most populous continent on Earth, so there are actually a considerable number of people who look more like me."

Blodeuwedd thought wasn’t on the conversation in hand for some unfathomable reason she was worried about that idiot Subito. Parts of the conversation did somehow filter into her brain past all the worrying.

“It’s b l uh d EH w eh th. When this is over we really need to see about taking you into the wider world. Maybe you could come back with us to Claremont?â€

She stared into the water for a little while thinking through what options they had and what they might have to face.

“So do you have any idea of what we’ll be facing when we get there?â€

GM

Impromptu pronunciation lessons rarely go well, but Kazra actually seemed a little familiar with it, if rusty. Her face lit up in glee "Oh, you're Welsh? Wonderful! My father, the Jungle Lord studied there when he was younger!" the joy was short-lived however, as the matter of what awaited them at the Mountains of the Sun came back. Hunching up her narrow shoulders and staring up at the mist-wreathed summits, the princess said darkly "Serpents, I'd bet. And mountain folk too, like as not their new ruler has got them paranoid. And I've heard some...some strange stories about this Orb the Inca wields"  she waved her hands around in the shape of something a little larger than her own head "It's s'posed to be about yea and gives the Inca the powers of the Sun. So..." Kazra glanced over at Giang with a slight grimace on her tanned face "good thing we have somebody who can put out fires"

Looking ahead she was soon lost in thought again, though as they went on towards their date with destiny, she gradually started asking questions like "Do they have a lot of students at Claremont?" and "Can they travel much, or is this trip an exception?" and quickly began lapsing into more and more thoughtful silences...

The next day...the slopes of VIRACOCHASUYU

Sunlight streamed down on them as the trio at last arrived at the mountain that held the archaic stepped city, farmlands spreading far across the grassy hillsides and red-brick buildings sprouting like a strange forest.

At the top, lay an oddly small blocky tower that glinted gold.

Between trying to explain the modern world and getting in some meditation and eventually a little sleep the journey didn’t seem to take that long.

Staring at the wonder’s of an Inca city in the jungle she couldn’t help shaking the feeling that this whole place felt like a very dangerous theme park. It was probably lucky that few people knew about this place or it could have turned into a Jurassic Park turned up to eleven.

“Just as a guess I’d say the tower was our destination, does anyone have an idea of a plan? I’m inclined to try and climb the sides of that thing.â€

Edited by TiffanyKorta

Giang was feeling tired, seeing as she had been up all night providing their method of transportation.  But the Asian teen knew that it was important that they find and rescue Subito.  Looking up at the stepped city and terraced farmlands of the Incan city, she could not help but fell a sense of wonder at the sight.

Hearing Cerys speak up about trying to climb the tower at the top of the mountain, Giang looked over to the other girl.  "If the serpents have take control of that tower, then we could have a more serious problem before us, as they likely control the entire city.  And we have to get through it to get to that tower."

GM

The trio were quite close to what would have been a gate if the Incans bothered with doors, a vast archway showing a robed man cowing the dinosaurs with a flaming orb. It lay across a rocky ground with little cover, and the spear-carrying men in light chain mail were busy watching or taking a small band of people dressed in more rustic versions of the Viracochasuyu ambassadors aside to question them. Signal fires and runners were visible on steps carved out beside the main white blocks of the strange road.

Kazra darted out ahead of the other two, leaving the raft to all but launch up a nearby tree in a rustle of leaves and pause at the top, shading her eyes as she surveyed their target. After several grueling seconds she started and leaped down, rolling to a halt in front of the other two. "They're mostly in the fields, the Sun people I mean" she undid the thong around her spear as she spoke, checking her bow and knife with a worried air "there's still soldiers on the roads and in the watchtowers between towns, at least, on this slope, but the towns themselves are pretty empty, we could go right through them to the royal house!" she grinned before a throaty screech signaled the flight of ten Incans riding pterodactyls, swooping far overhead and down the river. Looking rather gloomy the young princess glanced at her feet and muttered "Uh..yeah, there's still a load of terror-riders flying about."

In the pregnant silence the jungle lady glanced over at the mountain looming over them, mumbling "At least there isn't any smoke, means they likely won't just toss him into the volcano to appease their heathen gods...what if we just sneaked through the buildings and came around the back?"

Giang had guided the raft over towards shore before Kazra leapt off to climb a tree and get a better look at the city and what was going on.  Once she and Cerys had stepped onto shore, the Asian teen released her control over the water beneath the raft, as she turned to regard the Incan city while they waited for Kazra to come back down and let them know what she had observed.

When the girl returned to the ground and gave her report, the Asian teen considered her suggestion.  "That certainly sounds like a reasonable tactic to try to reach the temple."  She agreed, glancing over to Cerys.

Blodeuwedd examined the train between them and the tower the building should allow plenty of cover. She could probably do it without even using the ring for concealment...

“I have an idea on how we might do that, here take this.â€

She took from her finger a small ring covered in a variety of strange sigils.

“This is Ffoniwch Eluned  the Ring of Eluned it’s how I achieve my concealment. Anyone can use it you just need to know the correct mental codes.â€

Blodeuwedd spent the next couple of minutes teaching Giang the correct mental command that seemed to come from no human language. Once she had finished instructing Giang and was happy she could work the ring she spent a few minute adjusting her bodysuit until it gave a good concealing pattern.

Meanwhile, far above...

"Awaken, you mousssey thing!"

The Serpent's harsh hissing voice jolted Subito from his fitful sleep, and for a moment he remained motionless, eyes wide open and staring into the narrow black slits of the reptile standing over him. He hadn't had good dreams, full of that massive dinosaur's bellowing and its green eyes turning into the Serpent Sceptre before it bit. Then he very slowly got up, helped by a clawed hand that seized his arm like an iron vise and dragged him upright. He was still chained with bronze links, the young paragon noted grumpily, and bound enough he couldn't move very fast if he tried to fight. Rubbing his irritated wrists as best he could he glared at the Serpent Person and began "Well, what d'you wan-" before his captor simply grabbed him by the neck and shoved him out the door, where he was caught by two figures in ornate clothing bearing the marks of the Inca's high guards. Without a word they wheeled away and marched off for the throne room, Subito struggling to keep up with their strides. Whether they were human or Serpent he had no idea. "Can't even hear your hearts beat. If you've got any. You guys aren't zombies, are ya? I don't think zombie guards are really the best idea up on a mountain where you can just freeze."

Along the way they passed Serpents dashing from room to room, sacks of dinosaur hide over their shoulders bulging with wealth carved from the Mountains of the Sun. Given how they went into rooms with empty sacks and left with full ones, the teenaged hero had little doubt they were stealing Viracochasuyu's wealth. Though on the face of it he couldn't think why. He'd tried searching the sharp-scented air around his dismal gilded prison for any sound of resistance, of fear, anything but the placid silence that ruled the mountain city. It was useless. Far as he could tell the whole place was blind and deaf to what was going on at the palace, and passing a narrow window managed a glimpse of the world outside which made it a certainty. There were people in the stepped fields, leading herds of llamas, soldiers in wool caps marching in heavy cloaks only a few hundred meters from the palace, and none of them seemed the least alarmed or suspicious. 'The others'll come' he reminded himself, smiling sheepishly at the thought of what Cerys would think of having to rescue him twice, and the crisp recommendations John would have for evading capture on future operations. Giang would probably not think too highly of a senior being beaten so easily. 'Hopefully she'll let it slide, and just be kinda amused at the whole thing'

His reverie was interrupted when he was flung on his face before the throne, bonked his head on the manacles, and scrabbling indignantly to his feet was stopped by a spearhead to his throat. His escort took up position beside the doors with soft steps. All was eerily quiet.

"Human" said the cruel voice of the Empress of the Lost World, her eyes fixed on him hard enough to know it without needing to lift his own eyes "You may serve yet. The Viracocha we captured tells us the mountain with destroy any of Serpent blood if we do not appease it. We have little need of you when your comrades may arrive at the foothills any day. So..." she leaned forward so close he could smell her venomous breath "...I think you will have the honor of rescuing us from the Sun God's divine judgement"

"Why not just leave? Don't you have everything you want?"

"Not quite. You see, I need to have a few things brought here first. Your friends." Slamming the Sceptre on the arm-rest she barked "Bring the ceremonial garb! He will be prepared here, we shall leave when the Sun is at its height!"

Giang paid close attention as Cerys instructed her on the mental codes to use the Ring of Eluned.  Once Cerys had reconfigured her bodysuit, the Asian teen also faded from view as she activated the ring.  The three started off to make their way around to the opposite side of the mountain and begin the ascent. 

Unfortunately, stealth was still not Giang's strong suit.  While she might have been invisible, she was not doing a very good job of moving quietly.  She just did her best to try and move away from anyone that might notice her noise and then remaining still until they satisfied themselves that there was no one there.

Whilst Blodeuwedd wasn’t at home in the jungle she had spent a large portion of her training learning to be just as quiet in rural environment. To her trained ear even Kazra was being noisy, but Giang who wasn’t trained in such matter’s was creating the most noise of all.

“Keep an eye out for anyone moving around if we do stift then stop it should hopefully put them off where you are. They might be able to hear us but they’ll won’t be able to spot us.â€

Blodeuwedd stayed as close to Giang as she could in case her new friend got into any kind of trouble, it was ironically easier for her to follow the teen thanks to the noise she made.

With some trepidation they began to make some headway towards the tower.

GM

The trio managed to get most of the way up the slope despite the widely-varying levels of skill each girl had. The road was noisy with carts, tramping peasants and llamas, and passing soldiers loudly chatting. Empty streets filled with the quiet din of work from metalworking to spinning wool, largely drowning out the more heart-stopping missteps until they reached the perilous last stretch.

The Palace of the Sun was seated dozens of meters above the rest of the capital, atop a series of ornate steps depicting the gallantry of the Viracochas over the centuries. The steps were empty save for patrolling knots of ten or more soldiers, and only the wind could be heard. It was while sneaking up the steps that Giang accidentally kicked a loose stone and sent it rattling downstairs, cracking with every step on the long way down. The sudden sound quickly drew the attention of a nearby knot, who began carefully approaching where the rock had fallen from, spears leveling as they neared, eyes visible behind helmets narrowing...

A spear leaped from nowhere to land at their feet, and Kazra's voice rang out "Hey! You there, come and fight!" turning in shock the soldiers saw the Jungle Princess crouched on a stair high above them, waving frantically. Almost at once they shouted in reply and dashed after her, the huntress turning on her heel and racing away from the soldiers, the Claremonters and the palace! The way inside was opened, but only for a few minutes before they returned from the fruitless chase.

Edited by Arichamus

Giang had frozen when she had accidently kicked several loose rocks and attracted the attention of a group of guards, disappointed in herself for her carelessness.  When Kazra intervened, drawing the guards off, the Asian teen briefly considered helping the younger girl, but quickly realized that the jungle princess would easily loose her pursuers.

Kazra had created an opening, and it would be foolish to waste it.

"Sorry."  Giang whispered to Cerys.  "But we need to seize the opportunity Kazra has given us."

With that, the Asian teen moved forward to enter the Palace of the Sun.