"Thank you Subito." Giang replied with a small smile as he complimented her on the impromptu show she had put on. The pair then started back towards the house of dinosaur bones, their translator following closely behind.

When the other teen turned around to talk with her as he walked backwards, the Asian teen slowed down slightly in order to make it somewhat easier for him to do so. She listened as he once again apologized for being flustered back at the market place and then went on to ask her for suggestions about what he might get Cerys as a gift and then becoming rather flustered yet again.

Giving the stocky teen a small, reassuring smile, Giang replied, "There is no need to apologize. But I am likely not the best person to be asking such a question."

"I would imagine you have a far better idea of what Cerys likes, or does not like. I only met her the other day, when Headmaster Summers called us together to inform us we would be the students making this trip, the same day I met you and John. And I have had no opportunity to speak with her since." She paused a moment, and then continued. "And while I can understand the idea that one girl might have some insight into what might be of interest to another, I am not certain it is quite as simple as that. I believe there are far too many differences that can exist to allow me to offer any reliable suggestion, just based on my being a girl as well, or even what I might like myself."

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the children from Giang’s impromptu show tugged at their sleeves and dragged them to one of the many city square. There was a small crowd of natives listening to some a tale being told about heroic deeds, beside them on a frame was a dead two legged dinosaur, obviously a carnivore, about the size of a large horse. And also there was Blodeuwedd who had a look on her face Subito hadn’t seen before, she was embarrassed.

Spotting the pair she slipped through the crowd unnoticed, giving Giang a friendly little wave before she began to explain herself.

“Is suppose I better tell you what happened before you hear the exaggerated version from my friend’s there.†She gestured not unkindly to those standing in the middle of the square.

“I’m not really a bard, but here goes. We found a herd of those two legged one with the crests on their head, I was doing well I’d got as far as the herd sentry, but I wasn’t the only one stalking them…†she pointed to the little dead carnivore

“We surprised each other, but I managed to cut the thing down before it could do any harm. But it spooked the sentry was made a beeline straight toward where my guides where hiding. Working on instinct I put myself in front of the beast, held Dyrnwyn out and screamed at the top of my lungs. I was hoping she would act like a horses and steer clear of me, which was luckily the case.â€

Whilst Blodeuwedd told the tale in a matter of fact manner, the guides told the same tale but with much more embellishments.

GM

At last the calls for Blodeuwedd and her guides to repeat the story faded, parents gently but insistently led their children away and back to their regular business, and after a few casual reminders from their interpreters the four teens were re-united at the great courtyard before the hall of Zandar. They were met there by the familiar figure of the Jungle Lord, and two small groups of five people dressed entirely unlike the people of the jungle. One band was dressed in simple and colorful brown robes, marked at the edges with broad stripes of bright color. The other small assembly wore crisp white(at least originally, jungle travel had colored it somewhat) togas, with slim ornamental armor on the arms and legs. Neither carried any weapons that could be seen. Zandar was deep in conversation with them, but the moment he caught sight of the young heroes he smiled and waved them over "My young friends! These are the ambassadors from Nova Roma and the Inca land of Viracochasuyu! They have come to ask for my aid in guarding their traders from the beasts of my dominion, and will join our feast. I am sure they will be happy to tell you all about their homelands!"

With a great thundering of drums, the door of the hall was opened, letting out the delicious smell of cooked meat and spices, mingled with the fruits of the Lost World and food none of the teens had seen yet.

Inside, the hall was lined with the skulls of beasts Zandar and his forebears had slain, and decorated with many gems and precious metals. Zandar's wife Korzeel dealt with the ambassadors after they were shown in, and they bowed gravely to her and the bright-eyed young girl at her side. She warmly greeted the Claremonters, seating them close to each other. The visitors from Viracochasuyu and Nova Roma were staggered, to prevent conflicts.

The meal was served at a single table made of an enormous tree, and was magnificent, with nearly every kind of food the teens could have expected and more present somewhere, the ambassadors having brought gifts in the form of their nation's most exotic dishes. They talked freely with the Claremonters, as eager to learn about their world as the teens were to find out about theirs.

Giang had been a bit surprised when some of the children had wanted to show something to her and Subito. The two teens found Cerys in the middle of a growing crowd of natives, the Asian teen noting the corpse of the fearsome looking carnivore that was on the frame near Cerys and her group.

She gave Cerys a friendly smile and a nod in return of the other girl’s wave before listening to the story of what had happened. "I am sorry you were not able to complete the objective you had set for yourself Cerys." She stated after the Welsh girl had finished her tale. "But it sounds as if it was eventful regardless."

But soon the three teens were being directed back towards the great courtyard near Lord Zandar's hall, where they were reunited with their other classmate. As they reached the courtyard, Giang regarded the two groups of similarly dressed individuals that were clearly not some of their host’s subjects. But she did not have long to wonder who they might be as Lord Zandar quickly introduced them as ambassadors from neighboring lands. Following Lord Zandar's introduction, Giang greeted each group of ambassadors with a bow similar to the one with which she had greeted Lord Zandar earlier in the day.

As they were led into the great hall, the Asian teen looked about at the wondrous decorations that filled the interior, before she and her classmates were greeted by Lord Zandar’s wife. "You honor us with your gracious hospitality Lady Korzeel." Giang replied in greeting, giving her customary bow to the jungle lord's wife.

Taking the seat she was directed to, Giang found herself sitting beside John, the two of them almost directly across from Cerys and Subito. To her other side was one of the ambassadors from the Incan kingdom, who was interested to learn that she had grown up in a small village that tended terraced rice paddies, very similar to the terraced farmland that supported Viracochasuyu.

Blodeuwedd's adventure enthralled her boyfriend, and not just because of its teller! He hung on every word as she described her escapades in the Lost World, the story filling him with even more excitement about the possibilities for what they could do here. He fell into step beside her as they walked back to the hall, and brushing aside some of her dark hair giving Cerys a quick kiss on the cheek "Blodeu, we have gotta go dino-hunting first chance we get! It'll be more awesome than anyone will believe back home!"

Greeting the ambassadors from the nearly unpronounceable Inca kingdom and the Romans, Subito briefly tried to barrage them with excited questions before he was hustled away and inside. Introducing himself eagerly to their hostess and her kid, he stared every now and then at the table, eyes alight at the sight of the magnificent feast waiting for the visitors. Otherwise he was the very image of politeness and tact.

He was deeply relieved that the Lady had him and the Welsh agent sitting next to each other in the rough wood chairs, and enthusiastically went to work on the food, although watching Cerys carefully to see what kinds of food she liked or disliked, something that was imperative to a plan that had recently begun piecing itself together in his heart. He kept up a steady stream of conversation with one of the ambassadors from the Romans, the poor man quickly having to ask for respite so he could eat and drink in some kind of peace. At last the stocky Puerto Rican had most of his curiosity sated, and turned to the lady at hand.

"What do you think of this place so far, princess?" he asked Blodeuwedd part-way through the meal, cleaning his fruit-stained cheek with a damp piece of cloth "I think the people are great, the animals are awesome, and that we should totally take some of your family here on a trip sometime!" he grinned happily at his comrade, the swarthy, muscular boy clearly feeling himself in his element.

John for the most part was just another polite guest of Jungle Lord, trying at least some of every dish. This was something that was far outside his normal element, since as far as he concerned his place at a dinner like this would be security instead of a participant. Still, he did answer most of the questions directed at him from the other ambassadors, while diverting some of the more pointed questions away. For all of his quietness, John was still taking in information.

Namely after the events of today was wondering if Zandar was specifically limiting his peoples development. They were still using stone age weapons, when with a little work they could at have a post-iron age technology base. Furthermore, the fact that these other nations needed the Jungle Lords assistance in keeping their traders protected was another issue. Did they not have the capability of protecting their own people? All in all, it was beginning to leave the clone hero with some serious questions about how the civilizations in the Lost World remained intact.

As the feast was winding down, John had remembered one of the headmasters suggestions. He got the attention of the Jungle Lords' Wife, "Ma'am, I was wondering if you had any projects that your husband or your people needed assistance with. Our goal is to learn more about your culture, but it would be gauche to not offer our assistance if you could utilize it."

Blodeuwedd sat at the table in polite silence. She was actively listening and responding to the conversations, but not really joining in. it didn’t really matter as Subito was providing more than enough conversation for the whole of them. At his prompting she revealed the reasons for her silence.

“His ancestors†she gestured subtly towards the Roman ambassador “Invaded my lands and attempted to subjugate my ancestors. I know it shouldn’t matter but the Order survive by remembering its grudges. But don’t worry I’ll be polite and civil around him, it’s just something that’ll bother me.â€

GM

Korzeel smiled thankfully at John, the dignified woman replying "We have many able hands already, John. While I have no doubt you could teach us a thing or two about building and the science of engineering, we are going to leave this city soon and return to the villages once this trading matter" she nodded at Zandar nearby, who was in deep discussion with one of the Nova Romans "is settled." Seeing his confusion she explained "We of the jungle tribes have no real use for cities, even ones as well-fortified as this. We can't stay too long in one place or we risk driving off the herds of dinosaurs and mammoths, and the longer we remain here the greater danger there is of attack by the more vicious beasts of the jungle!" she took a massive bite out of the steaming dinosaur leg on her part of the table, munching for a few moments before she added with a dry smile "We only come here for reasons of state. The Incas and the Romans would never come into our huts to talk over things of import."

Leaning against her rough-hewn chair, she ate quietly, lost in thought. Suddenly she spoke "I am glad you and the others are here, I have heard rumors of moveme-" the rest of her words were lost in a sudden catastrophe outside, a sound of tearing, crushing, snapping wood, heavy and ponderous footsteps, screams of terror and deep-throated roars!

In a moment Zandar and Korzeel were out of their seats and grabbing their spears from the smoke-stained wall, charging out the door! Zandar paused on the threshold to stare at what he saw outside, turned to the Claremonters and yelled "Arise, friends from the other world! An army of dinosaurs has entered the city!"

With a crash and rain of bone fragments the roof of the hall smashed inwards and crushed the table and the feast, driven by the head of a roaring and grey-skinned Tyrannosaurus Rex!

As one the Viracochasuyuns and Nova Romans jumped away and rushed for the weapons on the walls, shouting furiously as they laid plans to destroy the beast!

Blodeuwedd as a rule didn’t really like to attack an enemy before assessing its methods. But right now she didn’t have time to consider tactic’s especially against a beast that was pure instinct. It probably helped that she had a few frustrations to work out of her system.

Drawing her grapple gun she aimed at a point just being the T-Re’x head, rapidly ascending to the top of the buildings ceiling before the creature could react. As she did she drew Dyrnwyn from its scabbard attempting to catch the creature in its massive eye as she flashed past. For now she was sure she had the monsters attention.

GM

The enormous dinosaur bellowed with pain as the enchanted sword carved through its thick hide, flesh and bone! Staggering forward into the hall and with blood leaking thinly from the cauterized gash, the tyrannosaurus nearly obliterated one of the walls as it blundered about, sinking down onto the floor amid a hail of broken bones as the dazed beast struggled to muster the power to seek out whoever had harmed it.

From Blodeuwedd's vantage point, she saw a very unexpected sight: Roman cloth and iron nailed into its head and back, with words of victory and glory to the Princeps Septissmerus spelled across its length.

Suddenly the light of the moon and stars above was blotted out by winged shapes, and fearsome croaking rang through the air. One of the Incas pointed his spear and cried in horror <"Winged riders! Someone has sent the pterodactyls against the Jungle Tribes!"> and so it seemed, with distant wheeling shapes in unmistakable silhouettes swooping down towards the chaos enveloping the capital, human-shaped things on their backs urging them on.

John nearly knocked over some of the table settings as he bolted upright and was prepared to enter the fray. Calling forth his armor and about to arm himself with a weapon he paused as shouts of incoming aerial cavalry reached his ears. This was a coordinated attack, not a random wandering predator. But who would willingly attack a fortified capital, when it was only used for diplomatic purposes and left unused at other times? If someone wanted the city, take it when it was unguarded and unfortified. Ergo this was about the people here, or one or more of the ambassadors. Zandar and Korzeel could handle themselves as they had grabbed weapons and were the first to fight so that left...their daughter and/or the ambassadors.

<< Mister Subito. You can fly, correct? Handle the flying riders. Easiest way would be to unseat the riders. Miss Giang, I assume by your codename your powers are water related? Assist Miss Cerys in Bringing down that tyrannosaur. If you could knock it down it would allow the village hunters to deal with it more effectively. I will stay here and coordinate with Lord Zandar and protect the ambassadors. >>

Once that was done, he moved alongside the Jungle Lords' daughter. << Stay close to me, Ma'am. >> He asked, with none of his usual brusqueness. To the ambassadors though the tone was back. << Please do not leave where I cannot see you, as I will be safeguarding your well-being during the attack. >> Moments after that order, he was holding a glowing and humming sword far beyond the technology of this Lost World.

Subito had transformed almost on impulse the second a giant dinosaur head burst through the ceiling. He gave a whoop of appreciation as Blodeuwedd tore through it with Dyrnwyn, and was only seconds away from hurling himself at the T-Rex in turn when Myrmidon's calm voice rolled over the hall. Nodding shortly at the orders he called back "On it, Myrmidon! They won't get any lower!"

So saying he raced out of the hall into the air, glancing around to get his bearings on the trespassing dino-riders and catching sight of one he took to be their leader, at the head of the monstrous flock. Sheathing the Banner he slammed into the man like a golden comet, the surprised man hardly having time to breath before a red-gloved fist punched him clean out of his seat and onto a thatched roof below!

Blazing in the cold light of the night, El Heraldo shouted "Invaders! Your time has come!"

Giang had pushed her chair back from the table as the massive T-Rex had smashed through one wall. She then hopped gracefully to her feet as a thin sheen of water covered her body, seeming to shimmer as it flowed and swirled. As Myrmidon issued orders to her and the others, the Asian teen nodded in confirmation of what she was to do.

Stepping forward slightly, she brought both hand up in front of her, aimed towards the massive tyrannosaur that Cerys had badly slashed with her sword. Seemingly from nowhere, a blast of water shot fourth from her hands, twisting and coiling as it streaked across the dining hall to slam into the side of the massive dinosaur.

GM

Korzeel and Zandar's lean younger daughter looked up quietly at Myrmidon, her dark brown eyes frowning a little as she considered her chances...and then brightened as she stepped a little behind him. With a quick movement she took down one of the spears and stood ready, the young girl in animal skins almost glowing in the pool of moonlight.

The watery ram snapped the tyrannosaur's head to one side, and from its deep chest a low rumble of pain sounded, the water flowing off and revealing a swiftly-darkening bruise next to its destroyed eye. It shifted one leg, and it was clear that its fogginess wasn't going to last forever.

Up above, the other riders realized their peril and wheeled about, shouting to each other as they planned attack on their glowing enemy. About them, the city was in chaos and spreading flames, huge dinosaurs stamping their disastrous way through the city and crushing all in their path. The Jungle Tribes were fleeing in droves, vanishing into the forest. Their host and hostess were busy tearing through a pack of raptors near the hall, keeping a path open for their subjects to escape.

It seemed that general chaos had broken in the whole of the savages camp, but for now she could only focus on the problem on hand. Beside she heard John taking control of the situation, and there wasn’t anyone she trusted more in a combat situation.

Releasing the jaw of the grapple gun she dropped effortlessly on the wounded dinosaur neck. As she did so she plunged Dyrnwyn into the creature’s hide with all her might, it seemed to bite deeply in the creatures flesh. Making sure she had a solid hold the creature she grab the little note for later use.

GM

With a strangled bellow the lizard jerked when it felt the approaching flame of Dyrnwyn, throwing off Blodeuwedd's aim and driving the blade into a shallow gouge in its neck. It let out a deep and mournful howl, its head raised to cast an eerie shadow across the night sky. Meanwhile, the Viracochasuyuns and Romans were launching hails of javelins against its legs, the damage they were doing not enough to be immediately seen, but still enough to make getting up that much more painful.

Outside, Zandar shouted, sounding clear as a foghorn inside the hall "GUESTS! THE CITY IS FALLING! IF YOU CAN, MAKE YOUR WAYS TO THE WEST! WE SHALL MEET THERE!" Korzeel added "KAZRA! GO WITH THEM! DO NOT STAY AND TRY TO FIGHT!" their voices rising high above their struggle against the army of rampaging dinosaurs.

Myrmidon had nodded at the young girl when she had retrieved a weapon. Good. It was easier to protect someone who even marginally could offer resistance. Turning his gaze to the ambassadors and Korzeel. << Arm yourselves and follow me. Do not leave mine or each others sight. >> He waited as they collected any available weapons, even dinner knives if need be. He clicked on his communicator, hoping that the others remembered to keep theirs handy. << Blodeuwedd, I need you back here to aid in safeguarding the ambassadors by taking the rearguard position. Heraldo, give us air support and watch for incoming threats. Tsunami you are on point. Clear the way! >>

He signaled his charges to move forward out of the dining hall toward towards the western gate, << Move out! >>

"Good as done, Myr!" Heraldo shouted down, holding out a hand at the approaching men on pterodactyls shrieking through the night. A gold fog slid off his body, condensing into a sphere gripped in his hand. Suddenly opening his fingers, Heraldo shouted "Victory is at hand!" causing the ball to fly towards the riders, and engulf them in an explosion of golden fire that burst with a crash and roar! They tumbled to the ground, their mounts soon following them with croaks and wails of pain and thrashing wings.

Gathering the fog back into himself, Subito's eyes flashed gold, and with after surveying his handiwork he gave a whoop of joy and shot off to keep his friends clear of anything evil riding the airs, the glowing boy a downright magnetic target in the dark.

Tsunami's hands were still out in front of her as she prepared to continue the attack against the T-Rex, but she stopped herself as she heard Myrmidon's new orders. "The tyrannosaur is not quite finished." She commented simply over the communicator before she turned and ran in the direction Myrmidon had indicated for their withdrawal, ready to do her best to clear the path for their retreat.

Exiting hall, she found Lord Zandar and Lady Korzeel engaged in a mass melee with more than a dozen smaller, clearly predatory, dinosaurs. Pulling her hands back towards her chest a moment, her fingers splayed open, the Asian teen's eyes focused intently on the dinosaurs before her. Taking a slight step forward, she thrust her hands straight ahead of her before sweeping them out to her sides.

As her hands moved, short, rapid bursts of water shot forth in a wide cone ahead of the teen. The blasts were unerringly accurate, missing the jungle lord and his wife, as well as any of the other jungle tribesman, while striking all the raptors in the area. Bursts of water even arched around the defenders at times, in order to strike raptors that were behind them. In a few moments, all of the raptors were down.

GM

Darting out from the midst of the quickly-demolished pack, the rulers of the jungle thanked their rescuer warmly and hastened to see to the escape of their subjects. By now the towering reptiles had utterly demolished the archaic structures, crushing towers, trampling walls and scattering whole neighborhoods in splintering masses, their footsteps making a racket like firecrackers as the made their ponderous way.

As the ambassadors from the Inca and Roma dashed out of the hall, shouting thanks and praise of the teens' power and skill, the archaic men cutting bizarre figures as they all but leaped down the broad steps before the broken bone house, their flowing clothes whirling around them as they ran. One of the Romans, passing by a fallen ptero-rider, chanced to glance down at him and suddenly let out a furious cry, reaching down to tear off a length of cloth from his robe and peering at it in the stark moonlight. Myrmidon and Tsunami saw him glare at one of the passing Viracochasuyuns and stuff the torn cloth into his tunic, resuming his run while watching the mountain-dwellers with cold eyes.

Soon the motley band was starting on its way towards the open gate into the forest, the citadel while magnificent not being nearly as large as many Earthly settlements. On the other side of the city lower and prowling forms could be seen, hunting.

Meanwhile, in the hall the tyrannosaur made a desperate effort to get to its feet...and fell back down with a mournful growl, obviously still too shaken by the powerful attacks that had smashed and torn through it to launch an attack of its own. Its undamaged eye looked with evil hatred at Blodeuwedd and her blazing sword.

On John’s summons Bloduwedd responds almost immediately dropping off of the creature onto the ground. That didn’t mean she wouldn’t take another chance to try and harm the dinosaur. As she dropped to the ground she used Dyrnwyn to rake the side of the creature, both slowing her decent and harming the creature in the process.

At the last minute she couldn’t help but give a little roll before she hit the ground. She then gestured to the ambassadors to leave the wreck of the building/

“Go now, I’ll cover you as you leave. Getting yourself eaten trying to be a hero will achieve nothing for any of your causes.â€

Heraldo soared above the party, keeping a careful eye out for any more flying dinosaurs that might need to be taken care of.

Hovering for a moment before following the strange band over the wall and into the jungle, he squinted at the broken hall and dimly made out Blodeuwedd slicing up the tyrannosaur. "Geez, that thing sure can take a beating" he muttered to himself, taking a post on one of the logs making up the Jungle Tribe's wall.

He briefly scanned the sky around the enormous clearing for any beating wings or cruel flying shapes, and satisfied that neither were in the cards he soared several dozen feet into the air, doing his best to make sure nothing small and vicious tried to sneak up on the escaping Jungle rulers and their visitors.

John kept up a headcount as he and the other Claremonters guided the group to the Western gate, frowning underneath his helmet at the Ambassador who broke ranks and then nearly face-palming with the barely displayed hostility arose on the man after he returned. Making a note to head off whatever intent the man had when they arrived at their destination, since he felt the need not to add petty squabbling and infighting to the list of current problems.

<< Keep Moving! >> he ordered, still keeping an eye out for any incoming threats and/or survivors. When he got the chance, he knew he had to track down the Jungle Lord or his wife to get an overview o the current political and economic layout of the Lost Word if they were to ascertain the perpetrator of the attack.

Tsunami returned the thanks of the jungle lord and his wife with a small nod, before she started off towards the exit from the city. While saddened by the destruction that had been inflicted on the once beautiful city, the Asian teen kept pressing onward, watchful for any threats that she would need to clear from the groups path.

While most of her focus was on the path ahead, she regularly checked over her shoulder to be sure she was not getting too far ahead of Myrmidon and the group he was shepherding out of the chaos. Thankfully their path turned out to be clear of any dinosaurs or other threats, and soon the Asian teen had reached the gate out into the jungle beyond.

Blodeuwedd knew that she didn’t have much time before she had to leave, she didn’t want to lose the rest of the groups. Still maybe she didn’t have to she did have a friend in the air.

“Subito I need a lift; we don’t what this thin trying to follow my scent.â€

Whilst she waited for her lift to pick her up she decided to try one more attack. Dodging between the creatures grasp she aimed for the underside of the creature with Dyrnwyn. She hoped that like most creatures it had a soft underside she could wound with her weapon.