Potential Story Idea

KnightDisciple

So, I had tossed this idea out in chat a few days ago. It's based on what scraps of a dream I remembered that morning, and then morphed a bit.

Basically, taking the idea of "totalitarian military takeover of the country, but I have the power to fight back" (in the dream I had Blue Beetle's armor, but that's obviously not really an option here), and fitting it into our setting.

Step 1: take Mastermind's world.

Step 2: Offhand, idea is to send a small, semi-random group of heroes to said world. Method unsure at this time. That seems easier than trying to deal with an attempted takeover into our dimension. Unless maybe Mastermind's world goes to a "third party" world that's go no supers of its own. That has some potential of its own. Not sure yet. Figure I might need some Ref go-ahead here.

Step 3: Heroes work to stop incursion (if in a dimension other than Mastermind's world), or spend some time evading the authorities while working to, if not topple the system, at least give a small edge to the Resistance (if in Mastermind's world).

Step 4: Profit?

As for heroes: I think 3-5 would be good. I'm hoping to use Gabriel (he's in need of some thread love). As a reminder, he's a PL14 (soon to be 15) who's at PL13 combat caps. People who can "bat in the same league" seem like a good choice. Another thing to consider would be that they could, hopefully, do a bit of subtle work. That is, they can move around in civilian identity with little trouble, and perhaps do some fast-talking to keep the authorities off their back.

I will be honest: I've got the seed of an idea here, but nothing concrete yet. I know Raveled and Trollthumper expressed some interest, so if they're still up for it I'll try to save them a spot. Beyond that, I do want this to be a grouping that hasn't really happened before, to keep things fresh.

Actually, I've been playing with the idea of a series of threads involving dimensional travel. Basically exploring other worlds and having adventures. This could be the start of it, if we get a good group together.

As for PCs, Starlight's perfect for moving around subtly, but she's only PL 10 and is likely to sit there for awhile. Glowstar's PL 12, but he's anything but subtle. ;)

Silhouette and Changeling are both PL 12, both sneaky. The trade off is this, Sil's like all around sneaky but she can't sell a cover cause she's not charismatic, Changeling's stealth power does not work on cameras, and she can't technically lie (not directly lie, like claim to be someone she's not).

Raveled: I had actually thought Ironclad would be a good fit, but I guess she's not quite "up to snuff"? Part of me had hoped for a "gearhead" in the group (or more than one!). Up to you, though.

Ecal: Actually, that would be pretty fun for a whole lot of reasons. If nothing else, Gabriel and Arrowhawk could bond over mutual mocking of the English! :D

Well Ironclad is Toughness-shifted and can Power Attack with the best of them, so she could probably pull her weight in a fight.

For a set-up, what about something like what happened in Erde? A hero from the other world (Mastermind!Hope?) comes to this one looking for help in saving their world. And it just so happened that the last great freedom dighters in the other-world were -- dun dun DUN! -- alternate versions of whichever PCs go on the adventure! Could lead to some interesting encounters when the PCs encounter folks who knew the alternate, more badass (or simply more hardass?) versions.

I'd be up for this, definitely. Jack would probably have the easiest time moving around unnoticed, between his normal appearance and Bluff (JIll optional!), Midnight might be crossing over with Arrowhawk a bit but he's certainly a 'gearhead' in a more literally mechanical sense and Wail is... well, he's Wail.

Well Ironclad is Toughness-shifted and can Power Attack with the best of them, so she could probably pull her weight in a fight.

For a set-up, what about something like what happened in Erde? A hero from the other world (Mastermind!Hope?) comes to this one looking for help in saving their world. And it just so happened that the last great freedom dighters in the other-world were -- dun dun DUN! -- alternate versions of whichever PCs go on the adventure! Could lead to some interesting encounters when the PCs encounter folks who knew the alternate, more badass (or simply more hardass?) versions.

Hm. This definitely has potential. I do like a slightly more organized approach than just "you randomly wake up in Mastermind's world". Then again, the unexpected and sudden nature of things is a plus.

More thoughts on this in a moment.

Part of me would really like to see Ironclad involved. Maybe it's my weakness for Battlesuits, but I think she's an interesting character to bring into play.

I'd be up for this, definitely. Jack would probably have the easiest time moving around unnoticed, between his normal appearance and Bluff (JIll optional!), Midnight might be crossing over with Arrowhawk a bit but he's certainly a 'gearhead' in a more literally mechanical sense and Wail is... well, he's Wail.
While Wail might be fun, my gut's saying either Jack or Midnight. But I'm torn; each seems like they'd have something fun to bring to the table.

If there's room, I'd like to volunteer Wisp as a handy bit of muscle.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'll have more than 3 other people involved, at least not in this iteration.

That said, maybe this could be a springboard for similar threads? Raveled mentioned wanting to do dimensional adventures; maybe Wisp and Glowstar can rock one out with some of the Irregulars who are still active, perhaps with some other "unattached" Claremont PCs? Either hit a different target on Mastermind's world (I bet there are lots of things to try and hurt there!), or another world (Earth-Robot?)?

Nothing against you. Just that I've found smaller, leaner groups flow better.

Anyways, looping back to the idea for this thread. I'll list the major bits that pop out in my mind right now.

*Will involve Mastermind's Earth.

*Will bring together a fairly random mix of PC's, in the sense that none of them are on a team together, and while they may vaguely know each other, they haven't worked together extensively.

*They are brought into this by an agent of the Resistance on Mastermind!Earth.

*This agent chooses them because their alternates on Mastermind!Earth were some prominent members of the Resistance who are...well, I'm not sure what to do. Part of me wants to say "got killed or crippled", but part of me likes the idea of a rescue mission. Maybe combine the two, and have them thought to be dead, but actually are held captive by the government. The PCs end up freeing them while striking the target they were brought to assault (some sort of new super-weapon?).

*The PCs are not given a choice on the matter; the agent grabs them with no warning, which gives the sense of sudden, unwanted transition. It throws some confusion in the mix, and ramps up emotions a bit.

Still not sure what the target should be.

Also, I might ask if someone can partner with me for running the thread. I don't want to dump it off, but I'm still a bit green at this, and I'm also having trouble cooking up details. I'm getting what seem to be good "seeds", but I wouldn't mind some help watering those seeds, you know?

Thoughts?

*This agent chooses them because their alternates on Mastermind!Earth were some prominent members of the Resistance who are...well, I'm not sure what to do. Part of me wants to say "got killed or crippled", but part of me likes the idea of a rescue mission. Maybe combine the two, and have them thought to be dead, but actually are held captive by the government. The PCs end up freeing them while striking the target they were brought to assault (some sort of new super-weapon?).

Thoughts?

Well Mastermind is all about control, so my first thought is some kind of mind control device but that seems a bit formuliac for someone who conquered the world. Maybe he's close to building a quantum supercomputer that can predict all that will happen, like psychohistory in Asimov's Foundation series?

Well Mastermind is all about control, so my first thought is some kind of mind control device but that seems a bit formuliac for someone who conquered the world. Maybe he's close to building a quantum supercomputer that can predict all that will happen, like psychohistory in Asimov's Foundation series?

Oh, I like that. It's less cliche than just straight-out superweapons like Death Stars and such, it's not "psychic, but more so!". It's got a weird sci-fi feel that fits that world.

I don't know if I'll try running a series of threads. I don't mind others cribbing the idea, though.

Right now, I'm liking the group of Gabriel, Arrowhawk, Ironclad, and either Midnight or Jack+Jill. If that's acceptable to those players, I'll see about getting other balls rolling. Won't mind a touch of help from the others in getting this thing set up, though.

As for timing...It'll be after Christmas. I have work part-day tomorrow, and I'll be out of town Saturday through Monday morning/early afternoon, with no real internet access. But I'll have time for some posting after that.