The Harvestfair(IC)

Ari

GM

October 1st, 2011, mid-morning

The bright autumn sun peered down on bustling Freedom City through a sky like a blue lens. It's vast concrete canyons, expanses of wood dwellings, beehives of brick and mortar all teemed with life beneath its studied and impassive gaze. A stream of this life having managed to secure a window of ease was making its way to the district known to common citizen and city planner alike as the Parkside, specifically the rolling lawns and languidly-arranged deciduous trees of Liberty Park.

There a transformation had undergone the usually placid and unchanging place: booths selling goods ranging from those vital to the continuation of imperiled life to those one would normally only buy to answer a direct challenge to your buying power. Rugs and bolts of cloth dyed in a multitude of hues vied with ornate glasswork, wrought metal and pottery, medicines and music disks for the money of the passing crowds that moved ceaselessly across the encampment, their sellers calling themselves hoarse to be heard and approached before the others.

Besides the various physical goods, one could listen to the dozens of musicians that had come to perform their craft and art before the assembly, watch as gymnasts, fire-breathers and other assorted performers did their acts with a bare minimum of room for error, watch the performing of plays and music contemporary and centuries old on broad stages that floated on the lake itself, go sailing under the eagle's eye of the local masters of the art, or just lie down on the lawn and let the noise and reverberations of the crowd seep into you.

It had been partially done to correspond to the Renaissance Faire from last month, the organizers thinking Liberty Park the perfect place for Freedonians to get to without the hassle of trekking into Wharton Forest that could approximate the forest's grandeur. At any rate, their exhaustive search for practically any band, performance group or artisan who would attend had turned up quite a few true gems, leading to the attendance of four particular individuals...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I really should have asked Father to come with me, honey. It gets chilly in the autumn, with all this wind..." complained Saeid while arranging a couple of his biggest carpets on the poles that constituted the skeleton of his booth.

“That’s nonsense,†replied his wife “I’ll spend enough time closed up in the house when the baby comes.†even covered in the loose and layered traditional Islamic clothes she was wearing to keep up the mood of their shop, her belly was starting to be noticeable. “And your father could really use some rest. When you were flying around saving people from those terrible plant-monsters, he was the one who drove us safety and the one who put together the store in the aftermath.†She sat down on one of the plastic chairs and started arranging the business cards of their shop and the catalogues with all the carpets they didn’t bring to the fair.

Images of the Gorgon invasion flashed before Saeid’s eyes. That had been a real baptism for him, his first huge crisis since he started heroing around. “Don’t remind me. I still have nightmares about those things.â€

“So don’t think about it†Jamina smiled at him “sit here and relax, customers aren’t going to arrive until a half hour at least, and I have enough baby-magazines to show you until… I’m joking, I’m joking!†she laughed at the panicky look Saeid’s face assumed. “Don’t worry, I’m tired of those too. Let’s just enjoy this beautiful morning in the park!â€

“And maybe sell some rugs, too... there’s a lot of work to do in the West End before it becomes a nice neighbor to shop in again.†He landed a kiss on his wife’s cheek, and started paying attention at the few early customers walking in the Harvestfair.

He put up his fake Persian accent “Welcome, good sir! Interested in a exquisite carpet?â€

"I'm glad we were able to get away today, since you started school at at HIT last month we have barley seen each other." James says while he gives his sister a light hug. "We live together bro, it's not like we never see each other. We eat breakfast together like every other day." Jennifer grumbles while texting on her cell phone. "Mumbling good morning while you drink a cup of coffee before running out the door is not sharing breakfast. Put the phone away and lets do a little bit of shopping for the new place, it's a beautiful day out." James pleads. "Ok, it's away. Now do you think we will be able to find a table for the living room, or maybe even a nice trough rug?" She says while scanning the booth around her.

Spitfire

"Howdy folks! Come get a taste of Freedom City's only Fire-eating tattoo artist!"

Maxie looked around and smiled before plunging a fire-stick in his mouth then blowing out a gout of flame 2 feet high. He seemed to be drawing a fair crowd, though most just guffawed or laughed at his sales gimmicks. It may be corny, but there's somethin' to be said fer ingenuity! Spitfire thought to himself as he kept up the tirade. Having extensive knowledge as a former carnival barker, Maxie knew how to throw his voice over a large area, and today he was getting a lot of practice.

"Now for today I'm only doin' some henna tattoos, however, if you're wanting something permanent pick up a card and head to the address on it. You show up at my shop with that card and you get yerself a discount on whatever ink you want done. I also do piercings!"

After his spiel he looked at his watch, noting the time. He planned to do the same routine every hour on the hour, which gave him plenty of time to do some henna tattoos as well as a small fire eating show. The day had been going well so far, he'd given about 8 tattoos and done about 4 fire shows, which wasn't bad for the first 4 hours. Maxie smiled and snorted to himself remembering that 6 out of the 8 tattoos he'd given were all what are so lovingly referred to as "tramp stamps," given to girls too young to actually have a real tattoo, still, as long as his artwork was out there and being seen, there was little he had to complain about.

Amir had seen the set up of this festival from his penthouse overlooking the park. Once he was done with that press conference he had decided to unwind there. He left his building and nodded to the doorman, wearing his normal casual attire, though the day was brisk enough to warrant fleece jacket, and he made his way to the festival. Taking in the sights, as well. Of course some people might have seen the footage from earlier today, and he might get pointed out, but he didn't really care.

Of course there would be ladies, and he got to flash his flirtatious smile, as he perused the shops, and some attractive shopkeepers. He was, of course, ignoring the buzz of his cellphone in his breast pocket, as he knew that was his assistant angrily trying to get a hold of him to answer for that stunt he pulled. Not that he really felt a need to explain himself, but he hadn't warned her about the nature of the press conference beforehand. Maybe he should get her something to make amends, he thought idly.

This wasn't exactly Josh's usual gig. Still, it was a fun little diversion, and you never knew who came out to these kinds of things.

Josh had breezed into the festival soon after it started with a beat-up old six-string that he had fished out of his grandpa's attic, found an unoccupied bench to set his things down on, before sitting down himself on the back of the headrest and setting to a day of busking. His style ranged from classical guitar pieces to more contemporary works, and he even took a couple requests when the mood struck him, including a particularly rousing acoustic rendition of Pour Some Sugar On Me, though the request for Freebird had been denied and roundly mocked. He had even managed to get a few people to stop and listen, and a few of those even threw a couple bucks into his open gig bag.

Josh had set up near the shop stalls. He noticed in particular a stall selling carpets a bit down from him; too rich for his blood, but he appreciated artistry nonetheless, as well as some kind of combination fire-breather/tattoo artist set up across from him. An odd combination, perhaps, but one that was proving to be a fairly popular stop on this stretch of park, at least for getting people to stop, which also helped some people notice Josh across the way. In a free moment, Josh called across the path towards the tattoo artist. "Hey, fire man! If you need some mood music, just shout and let me know!"

“Yes, and we’ll be open from 10:00 to 19:00, as soon as the authorities greenlight the re-opening of the 88th and the West End.†Saeid handed the tall woman a catalogue of his works “You can find some wonderful bargains, we cut the prices for solidarity to all the houses that have to be rebuilt after the Gorgon… Oh thank you, madam! I hope to see you soon!†He bowed slightly as the woman walked away.

A sudden wave of heat hit him when the tattooed guy two stalls to the left closed his act blowing in the air a massive fireball. At first Saeid had cursed at the sight of those pyrotechnic tricks, afraid that the guy would recklessly set on fire the surrounding trees, but hour after hour it became clear that he knew very well his trade, and his show, along with the young musician, was gathering in quite a crowd.

“Honey, isn’t that the guy… Al-Misri… that guy who was on Letterman last week?†asked his wife when the Muslim playboy appeared four booths down the footpath “Yes, yes, it’s that rich guy who got in that accident at FCU. I think he’s a superhero now, or something similarâ€.

Saeid watched the millionaire approaching, smiling and tossing a smart line at every young lady who walked past him. That man would be very good to have as a friend he thought to himself. Time to put on my game face.

“Salam aleik, mister Al-Misri, effendi†Saeid greeted him when the playboy tossed a quick look at the stall “can I tempt you with an exquisite prayer mat for salah?†Jamila put up her sweetest smile as she unrolled on the table a couple of the best sajajid.

He hadn't quite made it to the cluster of stalls, including the firebreathing display and the guitarist, but he was heading that way. The firebreathing looked cool after all, and he had to give the man his due for selling himself the best way he did. Occasionally his MBA would crawl up in to his thoughts, but he squashed it away. This was for fun. I was not going to analyze someone's business model. His attention got caught on one particularly attractive brunette as she walked past him, tugging it from a booth, and he had to suppress a smile. He liked people watching to begin with. And then a voice, aimed at him, caught his attention. Blinking he turned his head back towards the booth.

"As-salÄmu ‘alaykum brother," inclining his head towards the man peddling his wares, "...sister," and also to his wife as well. Amir changed tact quickly, his attention aimed towards the woman was respectfully distant. Looking back to the man then, his brows furrowed a second before he spoke, in Farsi. "" And with that Amir moved closer to the booth to look at what he was selling. Amir was not expert on rugs, but he knew what he liked, and he liked what was set out, maybe even found something to get Ms. van Cleef to help smooth over the press conference... His attention flicked over to the business cards and picked one up. "" He flashed that winning smile to Saeid and his wife. Phasers set to charming. "" His eyes strayed over one of the prayer rugs he had out in particular.

Oh, so he’s not just PR and a big smile thought Saeid hearing his father’s tongue.

“<Yes, we are in fact a local business. Though I’m afraid the recent crisis put quite a strain on the neighbor, my father’s shop has been in the West End for more than three decades now. Saeid Ashoubi is my name, effendi.>â€

“<And for your respectable secretary, now, if you would like to come by our store in the next week, we’ll be more than happy to show you different pieces including some of these marvelous Isfahan, you won’t find a higher KPSI in all Freedom City. These are tough and you can walk over them for over a century, and they will never lose their smoothness , nor the way they shine when hit by the morning sun.>†Saeid flipped through the catalogue to show his customer what he was talking about. He was starting to regret not to have brought some of his best works. He figured the fair would have been mostly populated with low-income families and he left at the shop most of his expensive stuff.

“<We certainly have a wider selection in the shop, mister Al-Misri, but I think I can interest you in something right now…>†Jamila spoke while her husband was showing the catalogue. “<Love, if you would be so kind as to bring the Tabriz…>â€

Saeid smiled at her wife with admiration Of course the Tabriz. That’s perfect. He unrolled the rug from behind the table and pitched it for the customer.

“<Here, effendi, look. An most elegant and soft Tabriz carpet, depicting Shérazade charming the Sultan with her tales>†he looked upon Amir’s face to catch the reaction “<Certainly a most appropriate gift for any woman working in the PR business…>â€

Amir smiled at the pitch. He had to. This Saeid Ashoubi knew how to do it. With a bit of old country flair too. And Amir loved listening to a good pitch. He surveyed what they had as well as the catalog, a simple piece had already caught his eye for a prayer rug, but knowing who his money would go to, and given they were from a recently distressed part of the city. He rubbed at his beard as he looked over everything, including the catalog, taking it in. Making the occasionally appreciative whistle.

"" said while gesturing towards one of the simple, but more colorful prayer rugs. He liked it. Sure it was kitschy and would clash with his decor, but it would also stand out, and he liked that. He'd need one for work too, and that could be a bit more sedate. "" His tone and his expression spoke volumes that he was clearly impressed with the Tabriz, grinning at little at the explanation. "" I wonder if she'll even appreciate it... I imagine she knows the tale. Ha! Knowing her she calls me Sultan behind my back. "" gesturing to the piece that interested him earlier, ""

Another laugh, and he clapped his hands together in front of himself and he looked at Saeid carefully, before his smile returned, a sly expression on his face before he asked his next question, "" He had an ulterior motive, he wanted to see some of neighborhoods in the West End, already formulating a few projects in his head, and networking with some locals was a good idea, as was getting a lay of the land.

Watching his sister run ahead and look at a booth selling rugs hoping to find something new for the apartment James could not help but smile. "It's nice to see her excited about something. I worry about her sometimes. She seems very withdrawn and antisocial. I need to find a way to get her out more often. " James thought as he walked up to a fire breathing display. The man in the booth definitely stood out in a crowd. James wanders over to get a better look at the tattoos all over the mans body. While James likes a good display of art, he could never get a tattoo. The needle would never pierce his skin.

"Those tattoos are some beautiful work, and the fire breathing is just plain Awesome man. Looks like you picked a great spot to set up for the day." James says to the artist with a smile on his face.

Spitfire

Looking over to the man playing guitar Maxie smiled and blew out a last gout of flame. "I reckon I could use a little somethin' to stoke the fires. Jus' throw down something flame appropriate my man, I'll work off of it. Ain't a beat I can't dance to, so to speak." Maxie turned to have a quick conversation with a couple looking over his tattoo book then turned back to the man with the guitar. "The name's Maxie my friend, It's a pleasure to meet ya. Yer welcome to come down to my shop anytime and play that there guit-box. A little live music might freshen up the place from time to time. My customers might throw some coin yer way, as will I, I reckon. Us entrepreneurs gotta look out fer each other don't we?"

Maxie started setting up more fire sticks on his table, getting ready for his next showing. He was glad the man with the guitar was there, any increase to the visibility of his booth was a plus in his eyes.

Josh smiled, picking up his gig bag and walking across the way towards Maxie's stand. When he introduced himself, Josh held out a hand to shake before turning and setting his things down. "Name's Josh, Josh Brown. Nice to meet you, man." Josh took a moment to look at Maxie's setup for a moment, taking a note of the design examples that were out. "You draw those yourself? You do good work, man." When Maxie mentioned coming down to his shop to play, Josh chuckled. "I was thinking of dragging my electric and my half stack down here, but I figured it would be bad form. But I might take you up on that offer." Josh turned, grabbing one of the cards and slipping it in his pocket.

Settling down on a nearby bench as Maxie began setting up, Josh took up his guitar. He thought for a moment about what to play, before settling in and beginning an old carnival riff that his grandfather had taught him. There was something to be said for the classics, after all. As he got into the sound, he added a few embellishments of his own and going into a bit of noodling on the theme at times, looking to Maxie to synch up with his performance.

“<W-Well, it would be 5000 $ for the Tabriz and 900 $ for the sajjada.>†replied Saeid, a bit surprised by the abruptness with which Amir cut to the chase and asked for the price. “<Of course we will offer you a discount on the total price, even more substantial should you decide to purchase other pieces as well.>†Saeid rolled up the carpets chosen by Amir and put them aside. Wow, that was easier than I expected.

“<Now, we should be able to open by Wednesday next week, if the relief squad set up by the City keeps up with the schedule to fix the viability.>†he followed with his finger the path form Parkside to his shop on the map printed on the rear of the catalogue, stopping at the big yellow dot in the West End. “<So when you’ll be able to come by to pick up your products, we’ll offer you several payment options, hopefully our credit cards lines will be re-established and functioning, or if you prefer a diluted payment we can offer you a very convenient rate…>â€

Spitfire

Max took Josh's hand and smiled, "Nice to meet you Josh. Yeah, these are all mine, and thanks for the compliment, though I daresay it's the fire that attracts the crowd and not my handiwork. When you come down though, they'll have somethin' new to talk about I'm sure." Maxie listened to the rhythm as he picked up a couple fire-sticks. Closing his eyes he let the notes flow over his skin, nodding his head to the beat. Suddenly opening his eyes he smiled and tossed one of the sticks in the air, grabbed a match, struck it, and popped it into his mouth before catching the stick in his mouth as well. Maxie then drew out the stick, which was now aflame. Continuing his act, Maxie looked over to Josh and smiled, "Nice choice friend, always did have a fondness fer that one, though I usually use more modern riffs in my act. Well, I used to when I did the fire bit professionally. It's a long, lonely road out there, and I ain't sayin' it's all bad, but sooner or later ya gotta put down roots. No better place then here, right? Well, exceptin' maybe a beach where the drinks are always free and the women are, shall we say, less than clothed, hehe. Barring that, this place'll do. So what brought you here? You seem to be more from my neck o' the woods."

He blinked, and then smiled an amused smile. Then the girl had come over to the booth, not that Amir saw her protective brother, but he did hit her with his smile as well. His attention returned to Saeid, out of respect for the woman who likely did not speak Farsi, he ducked his head briefly and started to speaking English again. Last thing he needed was someone freaking out because he was talking to someone in something other than English. Again. But first...

"" Jerking his head towards Jennifer, and winking at Saeid knowingly. "" Fishing under his jacket he pulled out a wallet, and withdrew a business card, handing it to Saeid. "" He didn't dress like someone whose personal worth was... considerable to say the least, Amir did find it funny that the list of payment options was said to him, not that he'd laugh over it. He never had to worry about that before, and he wasn't doing to now. "" There was a pause and extended his hand out to Saeid, and he smiled again. "Sound good?"

After complimenting the artist on his work and taking a few minutes to look at his books, James looked for his sister. She was still at the booth selling rugs. Seeing that his sister was in no trouble James decided to look around the crowd. Looking at each individual in the crowd as a potential threat. Is that guy in the hoodie carrying a gun, could there be a super villain walking among the crowd or could there be a crazed terrorist looking to make a statement? "I have to stop this. I cannot be on alert every moment of every day. I'm out with my sister, it's a nice day out. Nothing crazy is going to happen. I should find a cute girl and go flirt a bit. I just need to relax." James thinks with a smile. James moves off into the crowd to do just that, with a smile on his face and a swagger in his step, keeping his eyes pealed for a likely target.

GM

As James strolled along through the growing bustle of the Saturday morning-sized crowd, he bumped suddenly into a tall, powerfully-built man with iron-gray hair, a narrow goatee and a large coat.

Something hard-edged and unyielding was inside the coat.

Turning around sharply with a look of surprise, the man's initially cold and suspicious gaze quickly warmed, and he smiled genially at James. "Ah, sorry about that, was looking over there" he gestured at the other side of the lake, where a light thread of mist was wafting slowly over the water. "I was watching that, forgot to keep aware. Sorry, again. Name's Mike" he added, thrusting a large gloved hand to the other man.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As might be expected, Amir's arrival caused a noticeable stir, and soon a small crowd had gathered to ask him about what it was like to have powers, throw out theories as to why he obtained them, ask for autographs/advice/displays of affection. In a matter of minutes, Max and Josh were almost swamped with sweatered and becoated people tossing in whatever small bills or largish change they decided to spare into the musician's case, applauding the pyrotheatrics and occcaisionally asking for a tattoo. The dour glances the less flashy merchants cast their way(such as the ironsmith with the tent lined with cunningly-wrought weapons and decorations) can easily be guessed. Though the press of interest did draw customers their way, so the glances were short at least.

Turning around after bumping into the man James takes the offered hand shaking it. He smiles and says " No need to be sorry, It is a crowded day, and there was no harm done. What do you think that strange mist could be? It is a bit warm out for fog to be coming up." Thinking quickly "This guy is wearing a heavy coat, and it's not that cold out. I felt something under the coat. He has a weapon. I need to keep my eye on this guy, he could be dangerous. He could also be a cop or another hero. I need to find somewhere I'll be able to get into costume fast if something goes down. I also need to keep an eye on that mist. It is too warm for fog. " As the man looks over to the mist James takes a look around to see if there is somewhere he can change into the costume he keeps in his backpack. He wears the Body suit under his cloths, but the jerkin, cape and visor have to be hidden away.

Whenever someone tossed some money Josh's way, he tilted the beat up old fedora he was wearing in thanks before taking the music back up. Once there was a lull and Maxie turned to speak to him, Josh rested his hands for a moment, waving to the crowd and taking off his hat and setting it down on the bench he had co-opted. "Maybe I should have dragged my electric down here, after all." He smiled when Max mentioned moving here on a permanent basis. "Well, there isn't a better town in the world, trust me. Born and raised here, and other places are nice to visit, but you're not going to find anywhere better than Freedom."

Looking around, Josh continued. "Well, I saw a flyer when I was picking up strings at the music shop. Said street performers were welcome to come down and play during the Fair they were running here. A bit different from my usual thing, but I decided to come out and see what was up. Good crowds here, and you never know who shows up to these kinds of things, right?" Besides, never hurts to try something new from time to time. Liven up your life and all that, you know?

Josh noticed the dour glares they were getting, chuckling to himself. "Well, it won't hurt as long as that guy doesn't come after me with a battle-axe, anyway." Taking up his own axe once more, Josh turned to the crowd, taking requests while Max turned to work on the tattoo requests.

Spitfire

Maxie looked over to the blacksmith and a frown creased his brow for a fraction of a second. "Let's hope that guy's as firm a believer in the capitalist system as I am. Better competition breeds better business practices and better products and what-not." Maxie shook his head and looked back down to his tattoo work, glancing slightly over to the canvas sea bag underneath his work bench where he kept his costume. It was a slightly paranoid action, considering he really didn't believe the blacksmith would go crazy and put them all on the evening news, but you never could tell with some folks. Maxie noticed the swell of people surrounding the man near the fabric booth and pointed his chin in that direction "Ain't that the guy from the tv who says he's a superhero? Guess all kinds like the fair eh? Wonder what's so special bout that rug booth that got that guy's attention, maybe I should buy one fer my trailer. Think he'll want a tattoo?" Maxie flashed a bright smile and laughed at his own joke before turning back to his work yet again.

GM

"I think it's just evaporating water from the surface of the lake. The sun's a bit weaker today than usual so the process is just taking longer" said Mike, glancing back out over the water. He seemed fairly at ease overall, at the very least he didn't look particuarly suspicious. Suddenly, as though he realized something, he turned back to James and added "Sorry about the back-brace. Put my back out a week ago, and the brace I got from the hospital is too bulky to wear subtly under my clothes, so I wear this coat so I don't get anyone thinking I've got an arsenal against my skin" he smiled apologetically to James.

Hiding places dotted the fair-grounds with great regularity, from places where several booths stood at each others backs to brief groves of willows whose branches and leaves could conceal a regiment if they stood still. If James needed a place to change, he would be practically spoiled for choices.

Saeid swallowed at the nonchalant display of wealth that exuded from Amir's words “A-a cashier check would do egregiously, effendi. Thank you very much.†he said, shaking his customer’s hand. He was expecting an extended bargain, that ancient way of doing business that his father taught him, but instead…

While an equally dazed Jamila helped the young woman make a choice, he concluded the transaction with Amir, hesitating when taking the check Oh Allah most gracious… now I have to keep a 6000 $ check in my pocket for all the weekend…

He bade farewell to his generous customer and saw that his wife was done with the young woman “Love †he asked her “do you think you can manage alone for a few minutes? I’m going to get us something to eat at the food truck down the footpath.†Jamila agreed and in less than five minutes he was back with a couple of turkey sandwiches and a portion of fries. He was barely able to see his booth behind the crowd that had swallowed Amir the second he left the carpets stall.

With a smile on his James says" Well does not look like the fog is going to ruin the day. I hope your back feels better Mike. Have a good one." After taking a look over at my sister to make sure she is not in any danger, I will look for the best place to change and try and keep my eye on Mike and the person he is watching. "I need to watch this guy. He is lying through his teeth. I need to change into my costume and be ready to act as soon as I know what the threat is. I can't believe I take my sister out and something happens! I'm going to pound that guy into the ground." Quintessence thinks determination to stop this guy before things get out of hand growing. He moves into the spot he thinks is best for his needs as soon as an opportunity presents itself.

Josh chuckled again, tipping his hat out of his eyes and glancing over. "No idea. Don't watch much TV, usually. But hey, I'm an appreciator of art in all forms, man. Hand-crafting those things takes some work, from what I understand. Too rich for my blood, though. Unless they sell them for a song, literally." Josh's gaze turned towards the well-dressed man. "He doesn't look the tattoo type, man. Besides, I think tattoos are against Islam. So probably not."

Josh turned back to the crowd around their booth, taking up his guitar once more. For a change of pace, he began plucking his way through a technically complicated classical piece. Another tip was thrown into his gig bag, where a grey suit jacket, tie, and gloves was bundled up at the bottom. A hidden compartment hid a grapple gun and a domino mask. Josh figured that being prepared was best, after all.