the Heros are NEAR (OOC)

Supercape

I know you've mentioned your dislike of using Variable Powers for Immunities, but you have allowed blue to whip up an Immunity to Electrical Damage. And Dok's Electromagnetic Screwdriver (Gadgets 3) is all about manipulating electrical/electromagnetic/magnetic energy. So, I presume there is no problem with him making a similar immunity for him & the bomb?

Note at all, Doc.

I have caution about variable power for immunities. Big hole cart load of caution. But all has to be taken in to consideration. The fact that this is a) not a fight and B) cool easily makes up for that caution!

My caution comes from "I'm facing Captain X! I whip up immunity to X!"....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Engines, are, I think, best thought of as "mechanical" rather than electonic (especially as the damage is caused by microcrystals), so its Craft (Electronic) skill.

The ship, I would have to say is "Cutting Edge" technology.

DC 25, Time 10 Hours. Too long!

Dum dum daaa!

Jury Rigging of course is a full round action, reduces DC to 20, and allows a blast off until better repairs in space (or perhaps Docs secret Base? I'll leave that up to him if he feels its cool and appropriate and he wishes it.. limping to the dock there).

Ill give situational bonuses to that roll if anybody can think of some cool way of helping out removing the crystals with powers etc.

I thought jury rigging increased the DC? Anyway... I guess I'll just speed this up with a roll and then we can figure it out... I'll use her gadgets to bump up the craft to full ranks for her pl (16) which is a total skill bonus of +23 and I'll also drop some points from the gadgets into Knowledge technology and knowledge physical sciences (8 ranks each) hoping to see if that may grant me a bonus to my roll. (I can take 20 on either as a free action getting a result of 51 to those skills).

Anyways here's my roll. Craft Mechanical any GM bonuses may apply? (1d20+23=41) I think I made it.

I thought jury rigging increased the DC?

You would have thought so wouldn't you?

p45

Jury-Rigging: You can also attempt jury-rigged, or temporary, repairs.

Doing this reduces the DC by 5 from that of a regular repair, and allows

you to make the check as a full-round action. However, a jury-rigged

repair can only fix a single problem, and the repair only lasts until the

end of the current encounter. The jury-rigged item must be fully repaired

thereafter, and cannot be jury-rigged again until it is fully repaired.

Seems it is felt a makeshift sticking plaster job is easier. Not sure if that feels 100% right to me, but I can see how it works from a dramatic point of view!

Anyway, consider it Jury Rigged!

Okay, I'm going to use her new power that allows her to hear machines. Granted she didn't actually HAVE that power when this thread started, but I'm going to say that it was "always a part of her" and use it as foreshadowing to her actually gaining the power. I hope that's kosher, and I can always change it if it is not.

Okay, I'm going to use her new power that allows her to hear machines. Granted she didn't actually HAVE that power when this thread started, but I'm going to say that it was "always a part of her" and use it as foreshadowing to her actually gaining the power. I hope that's kosher, and I can always change it if it is not.

Its fully kosher by me. Keeping track of heroes sheets at the start of the thread compared to current ones is too complex. Besides which, its groovy!

Mind if Push steps in here for a sec? Here's a good spot for him to do his hero thang, since apparently a good portion of the ship's Force Field is down. Basic idea is him stunting an improved Force Field with either Affects Others or Area off of his Kinetic Control Array; pretty much the same thing he's already got on himself, but bigger. For reference, this is his conventional field:

Force Field 11 (Extras: Impervious [12], Feats: Subtle) (Kinetic Energy Barrier) [24PP]

Fluff-wise, he's extending the field to protect the ship from tiny nasties that want to turn it into swiss cheese. Fairly simple fare, and adds DRAMA! if something untoward should happen to his head while he's doing this (he is trying something he's never managed before, and aren't heroes supposed to do dangerous things to protect others? ;) ) Word of Ref says I needs to check in with you first before I actually do said stunt, SC; you cool with it?

Post away Quinn,that sounds like a good stunt.

I am sure that could be built in various ways [such as Force Field affects others] but its actually what I term a "fluff stunt", it wont have any mechanical effect on the game but sounds great for dramatic purposes. Therefore, you dont have to expend any Hero Points to do it (In fact, for me fluff stunts can actually earn you HP if they have a wow cool factor).

Need IC posts thusly:

1. Quinns/ Push forcefeild stunt.

2. I will do the boom / dramatic escape / grinding engines post.

3. Doc to do landing at Supersecret Hideout

Probably followed by a few self-congratulatory / social / marvel at Doks hideout / proper repairs posts (so I assume we will be there for a few hours whilst our tech heads get to work). Then wrap up with a final post as the ship flies back to earth.

Since I am interested in game mechanics, I could easily see Push doing an Affects Others (Others Only) version of his Force Field (no change to cost since that's a +0 Extra), giving the Pegasus spaceplane the benefit of his Impervious Force Field.

And now, on to the next big surprise!

Dok's pushing the Gravitic Movement/Teleport function of his belt, which is normally this

Teleport 7 (700ft per Move Action, 200 miles per Full Action, Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity) [16/16PP]

to this

Teleport 7 (700 feet; Flaw: Short-Range; PFs: Change Velocity, Progression [Mass] 8 [x500, or 50,000 lbs.]) [16/16]

I'm guessing it's safe to assume that most location-determining devices or powers short of someone like, say, Darkstar's would be more or less hopeless in here?

I would say it partially depends on descriptors, Jack. I always thought direction sense more applied like an internal compass (the wording of UP is "always now where north is and can trace your path wherever you have been"). Than "I know where I am anywhere in the universe".

Personally for the thread I am fine with it, as its "game over". However, you may want to run that past a ref conceptually. Personally as it seems a bit over and above standard direction, I might be inclined to have "always know precisely my location" another PP on direction feat, but its largely a judgement call.

In this case, yes and no.

Nichtuberall has "a stealth field" that "damps out any electromagnetic 'noise' the equipment inside makes." I've also said "he never communicates" from it "since that could reveal its location," implying that communications/signals can get out if he lowered the stealth field, or even if the signal was simply powerful enough (if the stealth field just masks 'ambient' noise but not focused ones). So a signal could get out.

On the other hand, Dok's asteroid base is ~3 AU from the Sun, or ~2 AU from Earth. Which means it would take any standard electromagnetic signal -- like one from his onboard GPS to the satellites in Earth's orbit -- 16.6 minutes to reach it, assuming the signal is strong/coherent enough to even reach that far.

So what would be the case with Victory being there? Victory is often monitored as closely as possible by mission control, and suddenly losing the signal would be highly suspicious. Although, it's possible they could've already lost it back near the rock if the interference was strong enough...

Unless they have some FTL signal to track him, they would not have been able to track him in real-time once he was past Mars (4 light-minutes away from Earth, so if he's on Mars, they'd know where he was 4 minutes ago. Like how when you see the Sun from Earth, you're actualy seeing where it was 8 minutes ago, since Earth is 8 lighty-minutes from Earth.)

• 2 weeks later...