the Heros are NEAR (OOC)

Supercape

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Math time! :geek:

Supecape said the asteroid was big enough to cover a state, so let's assume it's as big as New Jersey (the state Freedom City is in, and the 5th smallest state in the U.S.), 240 km long and 110 km wide (radius 55 km).

This goes far, far, far beyond the examples I can find:

Let's say that an asteroid the size of a house crashed on Earth at 30,000 mph. It would have an amount of energy roughly equal to the bomb that fell on Hiroshima -- perhaps 20 kilotons. An asteroid like this would flatten reinforced concrete buildings up to half a mile from ground zero, and flatten wooden structures perhaps a mile and a half from ground zero. It would, in other words, do extensive damage to any city.

If the asteroid is as big as a 20-story building (200 feet on a side), it has an amount of energy equal to the largest nuclear bombs made today -- on the order of 25 to 50 megatons. An asteroid like this would flatten reinforced concrete buildings five miles from ground zero. It would completely destroy most major cities in the United States.

By the time you get up to a mile-wide asteroid, you are working in the 1 million megaton range. This asteroid has the energy that's 10 million times greater than the bomb that fell on Hiroshima. It's able to flatten everything for 100 to 200 miles out from ground zero. In other words, if a mile-wide asteroid were to directly hit New York City, the force of the impact probably would completely flatten every single thing from Washington D.C. to Boston, and would cause extensive damage perhaps 1,000 miles out -- that's as far away as Chicago. The amount of dust and debris thrown up into the atmosphere would block out the sun and cause most living things on the planet to perish. If an asteroid that big were to land in the ocean, it would cause massive tidal waves hundreds of feet high that would completely scrub the coastlines in the vicinity.

Let's say the asteroid is roughly cylindrical. Volume of a cylinder = pi x radius squared x height

V = pi r2h

pi = 3.14

r = 55, and r2 = 3025

h = 240

V = 2,280,796.26 km3

1 cubic kilometer (km3) = 1,000,000,000 m3

V = 228,079,626,000,000,000 cubic meters (m3)

Mass = volume x density.

Density of rocks ranges from 1.1 (for coal) to 3.4 (for Peridotite) grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3). I split the difference and used 2.25.

Also, 1 g/cm3 = 1 tonne per cubic meter (t/m3)

1,000,000 g = 1,000 kg = 1 tonne = 2,204.62 lb
    1,000,000 cm3 = 1 m3

Mass = 228,079,626,000,000,000 cubic meters (m3) x 2.25 t/m3

= 513,179,158,500,000,000 tonnes = 513,179,158.5 gigatonnes = 5.13179 x 1014 kg

Asteroids average at 25 kilometers/second = 90,000 km per hour

Per the Solar system map site I linked earlier, Neptune was 30.956 AU from the Sun at noon on January 31st, 2011. (1 AU = average distance from Earth to Sun.) That puts it 29.956 AU from Earth. (Assuming they're on the same orbital plane; they're actually not, but I'm not going to get that detailed.)

1 AU = 149,597,870.7 km = 92,955,807.27 miles

29.956 AU = 4,481,353,814.7 km = 2,784,584,162.6 miles

Time = Distance / speed

If it was going in a straight line, it would get here in (4,481,353,814.7 km / 90,000 kph) = 49,792.82 hours = 2,074 days = 5.6 years

But it should take longer, since it's going in a more curvy manner.

Per this nifty tool for calculating impact effects:

* If it hits in the middle of the Atlantic, roughly halfway between the US eastern seabord and Arica's west coast -- about 2,950 km away -- it opens a crater 200 miles in diameter and 70 miles deep in the sea floor. It would create a fireball 330 miles radius; the heat would be enough to ignite Freedom City. 10 minutes after impact, a magnitude 11.7 earthquake would hit FC. 2.5 hours after impact, the soundwave of it reaches FC, at 120 dB (enough to cause permanent hearing loss & physical pain), accompanied by 1,870 mph winds. Anything the quake didn't get, this would. 4.2 hours after impact, the tsunami wave hits; the waves will aver 1,750 feet high.
    * if it struck Freedom City, it would leave a crater 211 miles in diameter & 75 miles deep. The entire United States would suffer a magnitude 11.8 earthquake, and even a city as far away as Seattle, Washington (Emerald City) would still be hit with deafening boom, 3 hours after impact.

:science:

I'm actually okay with us tacking a thing that'd take over half a decade to reach Earth. Sometimes heroes do things no one ever knows about, because they need doing.

Okay, so I had intended to use Blueshift's civilian identity in this thread to the end of landing her a super!science job with ArcheTech or something. At this point, it's clear that it's just not working. Though she's not in costume, and has introduced herself as Rachel, and no one should have anyway of knowing who she is (Even Doc's orriginal contact with her was annonymously over a radio), she keeps being referred to as Blueshift. So instead of making everyone else change their posts, I'm just going to edit mine, retcon the situation and say that yes, she actually is appearing as Blueshift in this thread. It'll just be easier that way. My next IC post should be coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and with Space Travel 5 (25c), the Pegasus-class Space-Plane can reach Neptune in 4 hours 9 minutes 11 seconds.

I was wrong here.

Pluto (and the asteroid) are (at the time of this adventure) 31.771 AU from Earth.

1 AU = distance of Earth to Sun.

Something going at 1c (= the speed of light) can cover 63,241.08 AU in one year.

Or 173.62 AU per day.

Or 7.23 AU/hour.

Or 1 AU in about 8.3 minutes. I.e., when you look at the Sun, you're seeing where it was 8.3 minutes ago! :science:

The Pegasus-class Space-Plane, which can go at 25c, can reach Pluto in 10.5 minutes.

(It can reach the closest star that we know of, Alpha Centauri, located about 4.37 light years [277,600 AU] away, in about two months.)

Ok GM stick has been used to shuffle onto next scene!

Feel free to make a few posts about preparations and then meet in the Lab for take off!

On a mechanical note, those with inventor skills, feel free to use them - Id say keep this to 48 hours aprox for inventing.

Also, feel free to use the time in other ways such as gather information, knowledge based research, using a HP to get 5 EP worth of equipment, or contacts/connected... or just spending time in the bar to unwind before a stressful mission!

(You can have Space Suits for free as 9 EP, but Ill impose a -2 check to a few rolls such as notice, reflex, and DEX skills as they are cumbersome)

I shall fashion a device like no other! This will augment her already existing radio senses.

Device 2 (Easy to Lose) [6pp]

Super Senses 10 (Penetrates Concealment [Radio], Counters Concealment [Radio], Acute [Radio], Analytical [Radio], Extended 2 [Radio])

That device costs 6pp to create. I think the design check is null since she auto passes (even on a roll of a 1). The construction check is DC 16 as well, which she will automatically pass as well. This device will take approximately 1 day to create.

Is this okay with you, Supercape? Or were you thinking something different?

Ok, Push takes a Space Suit (haven't quite figured out how to rubber-science a "kinetic suit" yet, and I'm going to save his Alternate Form stunt for a later date.

I'll also burn that HP to get 5 points of Equipment, and acquire the following:

MOLLE Vest (1) (+5 STR to carrying Equipment only)

Demolitions Kit (1) (+2 to checks to set explosives)

Repair Kit (1) (+2 to Craft (mechanics) checks)

Medical Kit (2) (+2 to Medicine checks)

Might as well be prepared. :D

Right, let's get some :science: up in here!

Dok needs no space suit, his Gravimetric Belt provides all the life support he'd need. What he does need, though, is a bomb.

+35 on Craft (chemical, electronics, and mechanical) and Knowledge (technology) when using his Enhanced Int and the skill bonuses from his HQ/Gadgets.

Has Ultimate Effort for those three Craft skills.

Extra Effort to stunt the following off his Pseudonatural Mind:

Explosively Overclocking My Brain: Enhanced Intelligence 26 (to 50 [+20]; Extras: Linked [Quickness]; Flaws: Side-Effect) [13PP] + Quickness 9 ( to Quickness 15 [x100,000]; Extra: Linked [Enhanced Intelligence]; Flaws: Limited [Mental Tasks], Side-Effect) [3PP] [13+3=16/16PP]

Side-Effect: Confuse 10 + Damage 10 (Extra: Alternate Save [Will]) [30PP]

Most athletes strain their bodies to new heights, and Many metahumans do the same with their powers, pushing themselves to the point of self-harm. I can do the same with my fantastic brain, with equally unpleasant side-effects. This state also makes it more difficult to work with others -- at this level of cognition, conventional languages are imprecise and unwieldy for my needs.

Will save vs. Confuse effect (DC 20) (1d20+8=11) fails!

Will saves vs. Confuse effect (DC 20); cumulative +1 per roll (1d20+8=23, 1d20+8=27, 1d20+8=28, 1d20+8=14, 1d20+8=17)

First consecutive roll makes it, so the Confuse wears off after one round.

But what's he doing during that round?

Confuse result (1d20=9)

6-10 = Do nothing but babble incoherently (which is fitting!)

Will save vs. Mental Damage effect (DC 25) (1d20+8=12) fails by 13, he's staggered + stunned. Fortunately, ArcheTech has excellent medical services.

And he's fatigued from the effort.

And now his Int is 50 (+20), putting his Int-based skills 5 points higher, to +40 :science:

Ultimate Effort to get 20 on a Craft check = 60. DC for Invention is 10 + pp (so he can invent something of up to 50pp), 15 + pp if jury-rigging (so he can jury-rig something of up to 45pp).

Corrosion 11 (Extras: Area [burst, General] for Drain Toughness, Area [burst, General] for Strike; Flaws: Action [Full Round] for Drain Toughness, Action [Full Round] for Strike; PFs: Progression 12 [550,000-ft. {104.17 miles/167.64km} radius], Triggered [detonator]; Drawback: Lethal only) [45PP]

Normally, that'd take (45x4) 180 hours (7.5 days) to make. He can half that by taking a -5 on the Craft check, but that's still 86 hours (3.75 days).

So, jury-rigging, he gets it in 45 rounds (4 minutes 30 seconds). Though, for drama's sake, I'll say it does take him most of the 48 hours.

So, in summary: 2 HP spent (1 for Ultimate Effort, 1 for Jury-Rigging; 3 left), and one nasty bomb.