HIT Science & Engineering Lecture Series, v.2 [OOC]

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ecal's up next, but I think he got eated up by the beginning of a new school year. (Scottish freak, starting a new school year when decent Americans are wrapping theirs up.... ;) )

Since this is fairly important, though, I'll ask: how do you want it to go? Do you want Captain K captured, or to (barely) escape? Each has its own pros and cons.

Ecal's up next, but I think he got eated up by the beginning of a new school year. (Scottish freak, starting a new school year when decent Americans are wrapping theirs up.... ;) )

Since this is fairly important, though, I'll ask: how do you want it to go? Do you want Captain K captured, or to (barely) escape? Each has its own pros and cons.

Actually, it's the beginning of a new term, not a new year. Two different things.

Also, it'll be a couple of rounds before I can reach you three, even on motorcycle.

Yes, you can ready an action to either

A) attack anyone who comes in fist-to-face range (and still be able to leap)

~or~

B) attack anyone who gets in range of his cannon, but then the cannon switches back to shootin' mode, so you'll need to use extra effort to gain the leaping trick again.

Which will it be?

Doc's go.

Move action to fly after Knievel, and get within 60 feet.

Standard action to use it his E.S. (set on Snare 10 [Flaws: Distracting, Entangle])

And he just manages to hit.

Knievel needs to make a Reflex save, DC 20. If it fails, he is entangled (suffering a –2 penalty to attack rolls and Defense, and a –4 penalty to Dexterity. If the Snare is anchored to an immobile object [such as the ground], the entangled character cannot move from that spot. Otherwise, he can move at half speed, but can’t move all out). You can break the snare as if it were an object with a Toughness of (10 + rank) 20.

Mid-round 7; Initiatives & Conditions

24 -- Arrowhawk -- fine -- 2 HP

23 -- Captain K -- 2 Bruises -- 1 VP

16 -- Doc -- fine -- 1 HP

13 -- Dark Star -- fine -- 2 HP

Dark Star's turn.

Fair enough. Just going to have to hope I can make that strength check (I have a better chance at it than I did the reflex save if only by 5%)

Captain Knievel Status:

DEF: 20

Attack: +11melee

Ref: +3

Readied Action: attack anyone who gets within melee range

Movement speed: Halved

(15:37:10) Dr_Archeville: quote, it's not a Str check to break the snare

(15:37:25) quotemyname: Awww man, that immunity power was a good idea, i should get that

(15:37:30) quotemyname: oh what is it then?

(15:37:42) quotemyname: i thought you said it was a str check

(15:37:46) Dr_Archeville: it's broken like an object, it makes a toughness save. Or takes 10 on a tougnhess save. Or, if you spend a full-round action working to break it, it 'takes 5' on the save

(15:38:20) Dr_Archeville: I never said it ws a Str check to break it

(15:38:42) quotemyname: Oh my bad

(15:39:00) quotemyname: So i can just take a standard action and make an attack roll against it basically?

(15:39:06) quotemyname: deal enough damage and i break it?

(15:39:48) Dr_Archeville: standard action to attack, no attack rollneeded (hich means you can't benefit from power attack).

(15:40:18) Dr_Archeville: if you take a full round action to try and break, you can add your Super-Str rank as a bous to your damage

(15:40:33) quotemyname: i see

(15:40:40) quotemyname: hmmm

(15:40:59) quotemyname: and as a full round action, it still take 5 on the save right?

(15:41:32) Dr_Archeville: yeah... which means it gets 25... which beats the DC 23 damage you do (15 + Str mod of 7 + 1 Super Str)

(15:41:49) quotemyname: and otherwise it only takes a 10 or something? breaking objects confuses me so much...

(15:42:01) quotemyname: so i can't actually break out of it...

(15:42:36) Dr_Archeville: standard action to attack, it takes 10. Full round, it takes 5 (in a way, it acts as if you're power attacking for 5)

(15:42:56) Dr_Archeville: .... no, you can't.

(15:43:22) Dr_Archeville: I'm gonna have to remember this setting ;)

(15:43:30) quotemyname: yikes....

Time to gripe and moan because I think I am right.

From Ultimate Power page 76

Targets can break out of a Snare using Strength or an effect

that doesn’t require freedom of movement (this may restrict the

use of some powers and devices, for example). The Snare makes

Toughness saves like an inanimate object with Toughness equal to

its rank.

So the toughness is only +10, not +20.

From Core pg 167

Damaging Objects:

If you want to attack an object that you have in-hand or that no one is

preventing you from attacking, such as smashing down a door, bending a

metal bar, snapping bonds, or cutting through a wall with a Blast power,

you can apply force more effectively. This requires a full-round action.

Instead of rolling, assume the object’s Toughness save result is equal to

(5 + Toughness). Super-Strength adds +1 per rank to your normal Strength

bonus for damaging objects in this way (and only in this way). If your

damage bonus is equal to the object’s Toughness, you break it, 5 or more

than the object’s Toughness, you destroy it automatically.

So I do believe I can break it. It is just going to take me a few rounds.

Full Round Action: It suffers DC 23. makes a save at DC 15. it fails by 8 and I believe that disables it, right?

Ah, you're right! I was thinking of Device Toughness (for some reason), which is 10 + rank.

However, it needs to fail by 10 or more to be Disabled. Failing by 8 makes it Injured, so it's at -1 Toughness. So now it's a Toughness 9 Snare. So, he's not out, but he's not completely hosed, either.