Absolute Zero

Waterfront, Freedom City, New Jersey

October 2023, 9:45 PM

Absolute Zero was a popular nightspot located along the Waterfront in downtown Freedom City, a few blocks north of the Pier Two Shopping Center. The club actually consisted of two distinctly different venues located on different floors. The First floor was The Lounge, a more relaxed, casual venue that was mainly candlelit with comfortable chairs and couches. Downstairs, was the Hollow, which was a much more lively venue, with high-tech lighting and sound systems, with musical offering varying each night.

Luke Landers and Leon Moore found themselves in the Hollow on a Wednesday night after getting an invitation from their semi-teammate, Bernadette O'Connell to see her perform that evening. From what Luke and Leon understood, that after entering a competition in Boston over the Summer, Bernadette and another Claremont alumni Summer Sands (who had been a year ahead of Luke and Leon) had put together a band and begun performing at various venues in Freedom City or other nearby cities.

The Hollow was pretty full for a Wednesday night, filled with what seemed to be something of a mix of patrons. There several groups who appeared to be young, white-collar employees from any number of such business in the city. Then there were a number of people of varying ages who seemed like they worked at some of the nearby restaurants or shops, that wanted to take in some live music and some drinks after their shifts. And then there were a large number of young adults that appeared to be students from one of the many colleges or universities in or near Freedom City.

Another local band was just finishing up their time on stage. The performance had been good, but not one that had particularly excited the crowd overall.

Bernadette was currently backstage, standing with Summer and the drummer and base player they had found over the last few months. The Irish teen was currently dressed as if she were heading off to classes at Claremont, with a grey and black plaid skirt, white socks and black shoes, a white dress shirt (which she had left unbuttoned several buttons lower than would be the norm) over which she had on a navy blue blazer. Not that it was particularly common for the students to have to wear such a uniform at Claremont.

She looked over to Summer, who was dressed as she often was, baggy pants, a T-shirt and hoodie. The older girl was making a few last adjustments to her guitar's tunning before looking back out to watch as the current band was finishing up its last song. Bernadette looked back out on stage as well, waiting for their turn to head out.

The Hallow was as loud and crowded as to be expected. It wasn’t the first time he and Luke had been in the club, but it was the first time they’d been invited by one of the acts.

Boys had arrived early and claimed a small table off to one side of the main dance floor. But it still had a clear view of the stage that was currently being clear of the previous act. They’d been okay, but nothing to write about.

Leon nudged past a group of club goers with two drinks to rejoin his flatmate. He grinned as he set Luke’s drink down and took a seat.

“Hey.”

He raised his voice over the din of background noise.

“Just met a couple of cuties at the bar.”

It was a reoccurring thing now when they went out. Leon meant well, trying to encourage Luke to talk to girls lately since no one had heard from Muirne in ages.

“Couple of college girls too.”

He teased.

“Jamie and Jennifer, how cute is that?”

He grinned but he knew his friend wouldn’t take the bait. The goodie-to-shoes dragon was just too loyal. Not that Leon was gonna fault his best friend for that… But he still had to try. 

Edited by Spacefurry

"Hey man..." Luke smiled, his tired gaze shifting from his empty glass to his flatmate.

The young man clearly had missed more than a few hours of sleep, a fact that Leon could easily attest given that the paper thin walls of their flat could not disguise the sound of Luke nervous pacing in his room late at night.

His girlfriend had apparently vanished from the face of the earth after visiting her adoptive parents in the Old World (what if they didn't like him that one time they met?), no one seemed to know where she was and not even his dragon senses could reach her.  Now, of course, she could have just needed some space (which wasn't exactly reassuring)... and yet...

Still, there wasn't much he could do about it... Not that night at least, the two were there to have fun and he didn't want to drag the morale down. Plus he owed it to Bernadette for inviting them.

He grinned at the mention of Leon recent encounter.

"You did? Bold move for a guy whose girlfriend has eyes everywhere." He teased playfully and gave his friend a light nudge on a shoulder.

His gaze though still followed Leon's own toward the bar, he was still a nineteen years old after all, being with Muirne hadn't suddenly turned him blind. 

"For real?" The young man smiled when he recognized one of the two college girls. "But... I am sorry my man, I got there before you... I know Jen." He grinned. "She is pretty good at kicking ass, we got some mummies together by the dock... " He chuckled. "And no that's not some unusual euphemism, I am being literal." He joked. 

In truth, he did have half an idea to go check how she was doin'... But then again, it was almost Bernadette's time. He leaned in his seat with the hands behind his head and turned toward the stage.

Multi-Girl

As the previous band made their way off the stage, Bernadette took a deep breath before looking over to Summer and giving the shy girl a reassuring smile. The redhead knew that once they got out there and she began playing Summer would be just fine. She glanced at the other two members of the band that Summer had recruited, two men in their early twenties, a drummer and base player and gave them a nod as well. And then the four headed out onto stage to some cheers and applause from some of the crowd.

Walking out to the middle of the stage as the other three began getting ready, the Irish teen looked out over the crowd as she went up to the microphone in the center of the stage, removing it from the stand. While most of the crowd was a sea of unfamiliar faces, many lost in shadow, Bernadette did spot Luke and Leon seated at a table near the stage. Giving the two a small smile, she then focused back on the larger crowd as she waited till the rest of the band was ready.

The main lights had come on while the performers had changed, now they dimmed once more, leaving several spotlights that shined on the stage the primary light source. After a brief moment, Summer started right into the rapid, upbeat cords of Bad Reputation. Bernadette started moving along the front of the stage, bobbing her head to the beat of the initial moments of the song before she began to sing.

I don't give a damn 'bout my reputation

Living in the past, it's a new generation

A girl can do what she wants to do and that’s what I'm gonna do

Bernadette continued moving about the stage as she sang, matching her movement to the energy and flow of the song. Summer certainly handled the guitar with practice easy, but it was the Irish teen's vocals that truly stood out for this first song….

A beige beanie pulled over his distinctive red hair, a pair of fake glasses with no strength and a thick sweater, so different from what his friends would normally recognize him with. Not the most elaborate disguise, but enough that people he knows are likely to not notice him. It should be enough, anyway, since the young man is not quite ready to let his friends know that he is back in Freedom. He really should stay away until he is ready, but he couldn't help himself when he saw that Bernie was going to be on stage.

Standing in the crowds, he looks around. He can see his friends, but makes sure they can't see him, and then, there she is, Bernie on the stage. And oh, he is happy that he decided to go.

He smiles. If his friends in attendance or on the scene saw him, that smile alone should be enough to recognize him. He does, of course, make sure that they don't.

“Just tryin’ to be a good wingman.”

Leon gave his roommate a smirk. 

“Look at you, out there talking to girls.”

He snickered and looked back towards the bar with an inquisitive eyebrow raised.

“Huh.”

He shook his head and grinned.

“Maybe I’ll get to see her in action myself.”

By now, the previous act had cleared off and Bernadette and her bandmates were coming out. Leon hollered and gave a piercing two finger whistle. Sure he had a girlfriend he loved more than anything, but he could still appreciate a redhead in a school uniform.

As the first notes dropped he had to laugh. The might as well be the school’s official anthem given the tendencies of the student body.

An' I don't give a damn 'bout my bad reputation

Oh no, not me

Leon pumped his fist along with the beat. 

Edited by Spacefurry

Luke chuckled and shook his head.  "Thanks man..." 

He offered Bernadette a nod and a smile when her attention turned to them.

"Well... she did try to electrocute me, though..." He added with a playful grin, although to be honest that had been just a misunderstanding. "Admittedly I was playing the 'big angry lizard' card with some mobsters at the time..."

The young man saluted Bernadette apperance with a powerful "Wohoooo" And then joined his friend with a forceful whistle. 

Edited by Nerdzul

Multi-Girl

As the first song ended, Bernadette walked back up to put the mike back in the stand as the lights through the club and on the stage began to dim. Soon the only light was a pale light that shone down from above onto Bernadette.

Off in the shadows to the side of the stage, Summer began playing a soft melody as Bernadette let Summer repeat the cords a few times before she began to sing. Similar to the melody, the redhead went with a higher and softer pitch.

I am light as a feather

I’m as stiff as a board

I pay attention to things

that most people

ignoooooore

And I’m alright with the movies

That make jokes about senseless cruelty,

That’s for suuuuure

And I am built like a mother

And a total machine

I feel for your every little issue

I know just what you meeeaaan

And I make light of the darkness

I’ve got sun in my mother@$%#in’ pocket,

Best belieeeeve

Yeah, you know meee

The lights on the stage suddenly came on as the entire band began to play at a much more upbeat tempo, which Bernadette matched with her lyrics as she became more animated as she sang.

I forgive

and I forget

I know may age

An’ I act like it

Got what you can’ resist

I’m a perfect all American…

The tempo dropped back down to just Summer’s soft melody and a light snare drum as Bernadette once again standing still to sing the lower tempo portion of the song before becoming animated once again as it reached the finale.

Multi-Girl

As the last song finished, the lights on the stage stayed mostly on, although portions of the stage were still somewhat dimmed. Bernadette stepped back from the mike, taking off her blazer and laying it down on an amp near the drums. A trio of other girls came onto the stage, moving to three mikes on stands off toward the right side of the stage. One of the girls was a blonde in a white mini dress, the other two brunettes, one in a pair of blue sweatpants and sports top, the other black jeans and a leopard print sleeveless top. Those in the crowd that actually knew what Bernadette could do likely realized that the three girls were actually some of her duplicates wearing wigs.

Bernadette quickly rolled up the sleeves of her white blouse to her elbows and flipped up the collar as she looked back out toward the crowd with a smile on her face. The redhead then strutted back towards the mike, earning her several cheers and cat-calls, which she just excepted with a wider smile. And then she started the next song…

Yo, I'll tell you what I want,

what I really, really want

As Bernadette sang out the first lines of the classic pop song, Summer and the rest of the band began playing the accompanying beat, but with a much more energetic rock edge. One of her disguised duplicates took the return response.

So tell me what you want,

what you really, really want

I'll tell you what I want,

I wanna (hey!),

I wanna (hey!),

I wanna (hey!),

I wanna (hey!),

I wanna really, really, really wanna

"zig-a-zig", ah

At first much of the crowd was in something of a stunned silence. Whatever they had expected next from the band, this had not quite been it. But that quickly changed as the energy of the performance set in. While Bernadette took the lead vocals, she and her disguised duplicates alternated parts, while at other times singing in pairs or all together. All the while, giving an animated delivery and managing to blend the pop song lyrics with the rock tempo of Summer and the rest of the band.

If you want my future,

forget my past

If you wanna get with me,

better make it fast.

Now don’ go wastiiiiin'

my precious tiiiime

Get your act together,

we could be just fine

I'll tell you what I want,

I wanna (hey!),

I wanna (hey!),

I wanna (hey!),

I wanna (hey!),

I wanna really, really, really wanna

"zig-a-zig", ah

By this point, the crowd had been caught up in the energy of the performance, joining in for some of the chorus at times. Bernadette, her duplicates and the band kept the high tempo and energy of the rock version of the classic pop song going throughout, finally finishing with one last chorus,

If you wanna be my lover

Leon cheered along as Bernadette sang. He couldn’t help but snicker as a couple of her dupes came out for the next track. He gave Luke a little knowing shove as he chuckled.

He glanced around the room and something niggles at the back of his mind but he just couldn’t pin anything down. It was crowded and Leon didn’t want to worry about it right now. He turned back and took a drink from his glass as he tapped his foot with the beat. Absently he wondered how she explained that to the rest of the band. He didn’t think they were all like them, but he could be wrong. Either way, Leon was enjoying himself.

So, here's a story from A to Z

You wanna get with me, you gotta listen carefully

We got Em in the place who likes it in your face

You got G like MC who likes it on an-

Easy V doesn't come for free, she's a real lady

And as for me, ha you'll see

Slam your body down and wind it all around

Slam your body down and wind it all around

Luke chugged the rest of his drink in one go and then started following the musical number, offering another "Whohooo..." At the appearance of the clones. 

He placed one arm on his friends' shoulder and playfully began chanting with the rest of the crowd, letting the vibes of the evening sink in. He could for sure use some distraction and there were definitely worst one than getting lost in the music during an evening spent with friends.

Now that is something, even better than just Bernie's singing, she now brings in her dupes. The young man wonders how she explains that to the venue, if they're getting paid, or if they're just paid as a full band... still, it's good, and it's a nice show. He can't say that objects to seeing Bernie and her duplicates dancing around on the scene and singing. 

He kind of want to step out, let her know that she's there, but not yet. He should wait. So, he sticks to the crowds and enjoys the show.

Multi-Girl

Bernadette could not help but smile slightly at the enthusiastic reaction from the crowd, pausing a few moments as they finished the song. Her duplicates started off the stage as Summer began the intro to the next song, which lasted a short while before the rest of the band joined in on a classic rock song.

Bernadette stood at the microphone stand, moving in place to the rhythm while the band played for a full half a minute before she began to sing once more….

She was a fast machine, she kept her motor clean

She was the best damn woman that ever I seen

She had the sightless eyes, tellin' me no lies

Knockin' me out with those American thighs

Takin’ more than her share, had me fighin' fer air

She told me ta come, but I was already there

'Cause the walls start shakin', the Earth was quakin'

My mind was achin' and we were makin' it

And you shook me all night long

Yeah, you shook me all night long

As a classic rock song, the band just played the song as written, with Summer able to handle the lead guitar perfectly. For Bernadette, she did not bother to try to mimic the style of AC/DC’s lead singer, but instead relied upon her own powerful voice to deliver the lyrics in a way that matched the rest of the band.

When the song finally finished, the redhead and the band took a few moments to bask in the applause from the crowd.

"Thank ya, we're Multiplicity, an' ya all have been a wonderful audience." Bernadette called out to the crowd.

As Summer started playing the final song, Leon nodded along. He couldn’t fault Berni and her friends their song choices. They had all been solid, and her choice not to try to mimic Johnson was the smart thing to do. Leon though did add his own voice to the chorus with a number of others singing along. 

As they wrapped up their set he once again gave a couple sharp whistles as the band made their exit. He had to chuckle at the band name.

“Think I need a refill, how ‘bout you?”

Leon nudged Luke.

“Or do you wanna try to slip backstage?”

He asked with a mischievous grin.

Luke saluted Bernadette and her band with few powerful "Wohooos...." 

"Why not both?" The nineteen-years old chuckled turning toward his flat-mate.

"I mean... We can grab a drink for the lead singer as well." He added playfully shortly thereafter. 

"You know what kind of poison she's havin'?" 

Fetching a drink was perhaps a bit slower than Luke had planned, crowded club after all in-between acts. But then again, once they were done a visit to the backstage was in order...

Multi-Girl

Getting to the bar and getting drinks ordered did indeed take a bit of time, but eventually Luke and Leon were making their way to try to get backstage with drinks in hand, having decided a beer might be the easy call for Bernadette. The next band had gotten out onto stage and started playing, but was not drawing quite as much attention as Bernadette’s band had, but the venue was still pretty crowded.

While there was a bouncer at the entrance to the backstage area, the two had little trouble managing to get around him. Soon they were walking through the hallway that led behind the stage, where they could still hear the other band playing. There were a few people gathered back there, but they paid Luke and Leon little attention.

Up ahead of them, the two saw a familiar tall redhead step out of doorway to what was likely a dressing room. Bernadette had changed back into a pair of black jeans and a hoodie and had a small duffle bag over one shoulder. The Irish teen spotted Luke and Leon and a wide smile came to her face as she started toward them. "Hey I saw ya two in the crowd. Hope ya enjoyed the show."

Getting the drinks took longer then Leon liked. By the time they were on their way again he was fidgeting. Luckily getting past the backstage muscle was nice and easy.

Leon glanced in as they passed doors, checking out some of the other bands. When they spotted Bernadette, he gave her a wave.

On 12/23/2023 at 12:20 AM, Thevshi said:

Multi-Girl

"Hey I saw ya two in the crowd. Hope ya enjoyed the show."

“You kidding! You nailed that, girl.”

He gave her a grin as he gave her a one armed hug.

“I’d give you a kiss, but I have a girl friend I love and am totally not terrified of making mad.”

Leon laughed.

“Besides, everyone knows you have someone else you wanna play tonsils hockey with. I had a nice conversation with your diary, but the way, it says it wishes you’d stop writing so much mushy stuff.”

He made a mock gagging motion before grinning teasingly.

They both knew he’d never actually done that, and that he was just having fun with her.

“Have a drink on us.”

Leon gestured at Luke holding the extra glass.

They all did know she was sweet on someone, bets had been made…

Bernadette and her band is done. Part of him wants to go up there, congratulate her, and he can already see Luke and Leon going there, but... no. Not yet. Things still aren't ready.

With a smile, he instead withdraws, pulling back into the crowds and moving towards the exit.

Next time, maybe, but for now, there's still things to set up, and he still has to find out what a few of his other friends have been up to lately.

"Yeah awesome performance." Luke smiled as he saluted Bernadette. "I mean... almost a one woman show." He grinned.

The young man chuckled at his flat-mate jokes. 

"Yep. We thought you would be thirsty." He offered her the drink as well as a "Cheers..." And a clink of his own. 

"Wanna introduce us to the rest of the band?" He asked. "You people had anything else planned for the evening?"

Multi-Girl

"Thanks." Bernadette responded to both the offered drink and the compliments from her friends. She gave Luke a small smile at his suggestion of a one woman show. "I just have the vocals covered, not sure they would hit quite the same without the rest of the band." She stated with a grin. "Cheers." She responded before taking a drink of the beer they had brought her.

While she laughed at Leon's teasing, her smile did fade slightly. It had been over a year since Charlie had disappeared and withdrawn from school, and none of them had heard from him, or had any idea where he had gone. Rather than let herself dwell on that thought more, the redhead took another long drink from her beer, her smile fully back in place she finished.

"Yeah, of course, they are back this way." Bernadette then replied to Luke, gesturing further backstage as she began leading the pair in that direction. "I think they were planning to hang around here to watch some of the other shows. Unlike the rest of you carefree young adults, I have class in the morning." The Irish teen said with a grin. "But, we could head out and see if there is anything interesting happing in this part of town this time of night."

Luke sighed as he noticed that Bernadette's mood had darkened ever so slightly at the mention of Charlie, he could definitely sympathize, with Muirne having been gone for a while by now. 

"You are gonna miss that..." Luke teased, at the mention of school, after all he did have work in the morning now, although at his age, that didn't really mean much, especially these days that sleep didn't come easy to him anyway. 

"This place has a cool vibe, but... we already got the best part of the show..." He grinned. "Whatever you prefer..." 

"Let's. Go. Party!" He shouted enthusiastically a moment later, circling both Leon and Bernadette with his arms. 

Leon notice the slight shift in Bernadette’s mood, but decided not to call attention to it. She probably didn’t want to talk about it right here or now, he thought.

“Hey now, I have class in the morning. I also have it in the afternoon and the evening.”

He gave a sly smirk and took a draw from his beer.

“We should at least say ‘hey’ before we bounce with their ringleader. If they really wanna hang around and watch the B-tier acts, that’s on them.”

He grinned as Luke threw arms around him and Bernadette.

“That sounds like a plan then.”

Leon grinned and raised his bottle in toast.

Multi-Girl

Bernadette grinned slightly as Luke mentioned she would miss school once she was done. In some ways, the redhead was a bit uncertain what her exact plans would be once she graduated Claremont. Things seemed promising with the band, but she wondered if she might also want to try to take some college classes, which Leon mentioned still having.

Then Luke wrapped his arms around her and Leon and started leading the trio back towards where the other members of the band were. The Irish teen just laughed and clicked her beer bottle against Leon’s before taking a drink and letting Luke lead the way.

Soon they were in a larger space where several different groups of people were gathered just off stage. It was a bit loud, as the current performance could be heard, but was still not quite as loud out in the main room. Up head were the other three members of Bernadette’s band, who spotted the trio as the approached.

"Guys, ya might remember Summer." Bernadette said, indicating Summer Sands, the guitarist for the band. The tall dark-haired girl gave them a small nod. "Hi, I think I remember you two starting during my Junior year at Claremont."

"This is Mark," Bernadette indicated the drummer, "an' John," she indicated the bass player, "they were a year or so ahead o' Summer. Everyone, Luke an' Leon." The redhead introduced each of the two in turn.

Both Mark and John shook hands with Luke and Leon as the introductions were made and greetings exchanged.

“Sup.”

Leon grinned gave the band member a quick mock salute.

“We salute you for rocking.”

He gives Summer a wink and finger gun.

“Sorry you didn’t have a chance to get any of this.”

He jokes as he gestures between himself and Luke.

“Serious though, we just thought it would be polite to let y’all know: we’re stealing your girl here.”

He points at Bernadette.

“We’re gonna sell her to Disney for some new tween comedy series, or something. We should be able to make bank.”

Edited by Spacefurry
On 1/19/2024 at 8:01 PM, Spacefurry said:

“We salute you for rocking.”

"Amen to that ...."

"Nice to meet you all guys... and gals..." He saluted the rest of the band with a smile and an enthusiastic handshake, when appropriate.

"Yeah... Bet is, school is much quieter without us two around."  He grinned at Summer.

He winced when Leon suggested that they 'recruited' Bernadette for a Disney channel show or something. "Yeah... a terrible fate though." He chuckled. "But what can you do..."