Meanwhile, at Atomic Tower!

ROCKET  

Atomic Tower, Midtown, Freedom City

Early March 2021

The Atomic Tower towered in the Freedom City skyline. After its recent expansion, it seemed almost like it stretched into the clouds, which it just might do. A modern marvel of super science, it held the newly opened Atom Academy, the Atom Family's newest gift to the city, inviting scientists, explorers, heroes and just curious regular people to join, to explore everything and anything!

Jay was late. Of course he was late. You'd think having super speed would have helped with that, but no. It just meant he had more time to do a ton of things and forget about appointments. He was a streak of black and grey moving through the city, running and rushing past everything. Black pants, running shoes, a grey jacket, currently hanging open to reveal his favorite white T-Shirt with a big black rocket on the front until.

He finally came to a stop right in front of Atomic Tower, a gust of wind catching up to him, his blonde hair a mess from the run as he stumbled a step or two to regain his footing and almost tumbled into the woman that was standing there before catching himself and moving around her in the blink of an eye.

"Sorry, sorry! Stopping's not always easy!"

Bee

Melissa could quite believe that she was here at Atomic Tower, one of the biggest places to go if you wanted a career in super sciences. She’d looked at other places like ArchTech but they tended towards the more technological side of things, plus there was that weird fish related incident a good decade or so… That reminded her, did Deep Ones have unique enzyme combinations that could be applied to humans? Maybe she should see if she could get a sample of there enzymes, there was a few living in the city after al…

Lost in her rambling thoughts she didn’t noticing the speedster until the very last moment and, out of instinct more than anything else, shrunk to her bee size with a little crackle of electricity.

ROCKET  

Wait, what just happened? Where did she go? She was there one moment, then gone when he zoomed around her, and... He didn't do that, did he? 

No, he could see the slight crack of electricity where she stood and... she was suddenly very small.

Jay really didn't know how to deal with that, so...

"Woah."

• 3 weeks later...

Bee

Once safe Melissa returned to normal size, taking care to ground the electricity as sparks around her feet. She’d lost more cell phones that way before figuring that trick. For the moment that was her main concern but after grounding herself she finally realised what she’d done.

You need to be careful, people could get hurt! realising she’d changed size in public, she quickly looked around to see if anyone had noticed

I guess you’re here for the same reason as me?” after thinking she thrust out a hand and looked expectancy “I’m Melissa by the way, pleased to meet you!”

• 2 weeks later...

ROCKET  

Jay stood there for a second as Melissa returned to normal. There was that electricity crackling around her again, but grounded towards the ground. That was... pretty smart. He kind of wondered if she'd shocked herself or something like that, before slowing down to normal speed.

"Sorry, sorry. I was in a hurry. Kind of a family thing, I guess."

Uncle Johnny had tried to help him with getting better at stopping, but... yeah. Hadn't really worked out entirely so far.

"Sounds like that might be it, if you're here for the academy too?" His words were coming faster now. Jay was getting nervous. He had to slow down. He took a deep breath and centered himself, then smiled and shook Melissa's hand. "Sorry, this is all just, a lot. I'm Jay."

• 3 weeks later...

Bee

Melissa couldn’t help but give a little squee and do a little dance, she was so excited to both be here and meet a fellow hero going to the academy.

Yes, yes I am! Isn’t it amazing? I’ve heard they got facilities for all the sciences, I’m hoping that they have a source of Dyne particles. I’m a chemists doing research into such things, hence why I can shrink. I’m hoping to study the electrical discharge problems, thing of all the things we could transport easily if I can solve that issue?

It was most probably that only speedsters could follow as she rolled her sentences together in an excited stream of consciousness.