Avenger Assembled

Just Like Fire (IC, open)

"I don't know," Danica admitted to Mr. Archer, frowning down at her phone. "Is the system supposed to be purged regularly? Will it start malfunctioning without it?" The idea made sense, purging the system did sound a lot like a higher tech version of blowing on the disk or letting Windows run its little disk defragment program that made all the scattered bits of information line up nicely again. She'd always liked watching the defragmenter run. "If we need to do that, how do we do it from outside the room?" 

"You can do that from the master control room on the floor just above it." He gave them directions, then admitted, "I don't know the password - and I wouldn't be one I can guess, not after-" He blinked, just once, then concentrated on the emergency. "It's just a standard security door. Anyone with the ability to do enough damage should be able to get it open. Accessing the system will be a whole new problem, especially if it's gotten, er, overcomplicated." 

Artificer

Heroditus had learned much of Surfacer technology, but still had much, much more to learn.  Computers were one area in which he had a particular ignorance, as Atlantis had few things comparable to those (and those they did have were room-sized monstrosities, roughly comparable to Surface computers of the early 1950s).

"<I cannot believe it, but I actually wish OctoBen were here,>" Heroditus muttered to himself in the click- and pop-accented language of Atlantis.  Then, in English, "reluctant as I am to admit it, I must confess I may not be of much use against the Doom Room's elektronic systems, though I should be able to help get us to them.  Are any of you particularly skilled with computers?," he asked, looking around.  "As for getting there, I would suggest taking the stairs, as the Doom Room should not be able to influence anything there.  And if it did somehow send any... agents there, they should not be as powerful as those within the Doom Room itself." 

The stairs took them down to the second-to-last lowest level under the building, where they found themselves confronted with - nothing at all? The security door to the control room was open, not the state it should have been in. But otherwise he Doom Room control center appeared to be in sleep mode (as it should have been for the party) but something was up after just a moment's inspection. The clear panes of transparent steel that overlooked the 'arena' were completely obscured, giving them nothing but a blank wall to look at. Tapping a few buttons brought the computers back online, but the gibberish of ones and zeroes that was playing out for them, faster than they could clearly distinguish, was definitely not a normal computer function. Something was happening in there... 

Grabbing the paper from the printer Leon stepped back out into the hall in time to followed the others down the stairs.

"Things could be worse." He says as he hands the paper to Professor al-Salaf. "It says machines have gone nutso, but no one's hurt. Also says to bring energy other then electricity."

Leon looks around for a door, then taps on the opaque glass. "Is it in here?" He asks, not having actually been in the Doom Room yet himself.

It took Danica a long time to catch up with the group after abandoning her Segway to follow them down the stairs. She grimaced as she looked at the mess of ones and zeroes. "I don't think this is anything that's going to be solved by turning it off and turning it on again," she observed wryly. "I don't know where we'd even start turning it off." She started looking around the walls for the window controls, hoping they'd be nice and obvious. Or a clearly labeled big red STOP button. "I kind of feel like anybody who'd even build something like the Doom Room didn't watch enough Star Trek when they were a kid." 

Leon glanced back at Danica as she joined them in the control room. He looks over at the screen and watches the binary code scroll by. He couldn't fully comprehend it as it, but he moved over to the console.

"Anyone smart enough to build this, should have been smart enough to build a e-stop." Leon beings searching the console for any indication of an off switch. "Look around for some kind of fuse box or something." He looks over at the Professor. "Is there any kind of maintenance access? Look for anything that might be an access hatch." He says, turning to Heroditus. "As fancy as it is, its still just a machine. If we can find the power feeds we should be able to kill it, or at least parts of it in theory."

Turning back to the computer he starts trying some of the key command shortcuts and prompts his foster brother taught him in an effort to gain some kind of access, even if its just back to the main menu.

Artificer

Heroditus nodded at Leon's suggestion, and began searching for the things he had suggested.  "My understanding is that power -- electricity -- flows along conduits, like many other forms of energy.  Some of those channels are rugged, to withstand the great forces channeled through them," he felt along the floor, "while others are very intricate, delicate, and easy to disrupt.  And that water -- particularly saltwater -- does a very good job at disrupting such devices."  He checked along the sides of the machines, casting a curious look Leon's way, "so if you cannot stop this by working within its operating parameters, I believe we can easily bring forth some more destructive means of stopping this.  Which would take longer to repair, but," something caught his eye, and he moved towards it, "our classmates are in danger, so we must do what we can to help."