Double Dutch

Supercape

Having brought the Pegasus spaceplane down in a field near the Duke's castle, Velocity powered down the aircraft before following the others off.

Robert's announcement that the castle was under a similar effect to what the Duke suffered from was not exactly surprising, but still was troubling.  Megan really had no idea how an entire castle (and presumably all its inhabitants) could just be slowed down like this without attracting someone's attention.  It was seeming to sound more and more like something tide to magic, of which Megan knew very little.  A though wondered into the young woman's mind, reports the Freedom League had received though the intelligence community about some But Megan could not really see how that report could in any way be connected to what was going on here.

She focused on the Duke as he invited them in, smiling.  "Thank you your Grace.  Although, we probably should not wait too long before trying investigate what could be causing the slowdown of time in this location."

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was weird being Grimalkin again; it wasn't like she couldn't access her powers as Lynn, but all her years away from Freedom she hadn't maintained a separate persona. The people she knew in Bill's world all knew she had super-powers, so she didn't have to pretend to be someone else...well, unless she actually was pretending to be someone else, of course!

She decided that Grim was still as skinny as ever, so she sort of 'sucked in her gut' by cleverly redistributing her mass and ditching Lynn's somewhat more mature curves; the classic Grim hair was back, of course, all short and spiky with hints of red, and the black mask and black-and-midnight blue leathers were wrapped around her petite form again liked they'd never left. Grim's voice was also a bit higher than Lynn's, and her Jersey accent a bit stronger. Overall, she felt like she was impersonating a non-existent kid sister.

The diminutive fae strolled off the Pegasus like she owned the place. "Wow, so this is where the tulips come from; neat!" A pair of wooden clogs appeared on her feet out of nowhere as she joined Velocity. "So where should we start, interviewing the staff?" She looked over her narrow shoulder at the Duke, grinned like a madwoman and then spoke in perfect Dutch. <"Don't worry, your Ducalness; I got the native lingo down pat!">

GM

"My staff? Well.,.. you may...." said the Duke cautiously, stroking his sideburns once again. "It never occurred to me that they might be underhanded, though. I trust them completely! Been in the family for generations! So to speak..." he said with a wiggle of his eyebrows. 

The head butler was a shortish and roundish man with lines on his long thin face. For all that he seemed stoic as a rock and as unflappable. "Mr. Willem Rutte" his name, fluent in English and French and a fine nose for cooking. 

"Dinner is served" he announced on entry to the Castle, and out was presented a fantastic feast - finest wines, finest brandies. A delicious french onion soup, followed by a medley of oysters, lobster, and shell fish of every description in lemons and peppers. Buttered vegetables, lightly roasted. 

"I am famished!" grinned the Duke. "Question my over dinner! I think better when sated!" he said, sitting down, stuffing a napkin in his shirt and tucking in. 

Velocity walked alongside Robert as they followed the Duke into the castle.  As was often the case when she was in costume, Megan had to resist an urge to move quicker than normal and instead stay the same pace as the rest of the group.  She tried to distract herself somewhat by carefully taking in everything around her, a task her goggle made easier as she did not even need to turn her head to do so.

As they were lead into the large dining room and the Duke took his seat at the head of the table, clearly ready for dinner, the speedster leaned a bit closer to Robert as she whispered.  "Is all the food slowed down as well, and any guess what eating it might do to us?"

GM

Robert was already tucking into the onion soup. Delicious it was, too. The smell was enough to cause salivation in all but the most spartan of palates. 

He looked up to her, mouth full of delicious french bread dripping with soup. Robert was normally a most mannered eater, but right now he was in culinary heaven. 

"*Scoff* Yeah...its slowed down too....mmmm...means you can savour it more!" he grinned, a few crumbs falling onto his napkin and staining it. 

"Seriously, honey...this stuff is the best! I haven't been short of a few top class meals in my time, but this is better than Paris! the Duke knows his herbs and spices...that much I do know!" he grinned. 

"So it might be slowed down, just that odd tick...but honestly, the smells take my mind of it!" he said, draining the soup and popping a lemongrass prawn in his mouth. 

Grim took the offered seat, unsure what do; she technically didn't eat anymore, couldn't in fact, though she could still manage to drink things. She was about to bring this sad fact up to their host when her sensitive nose picked up on something; there was an unfamiliar additive to everything served at the table, most likely a drug! Still she didn't know who was responsible, so it was probably best not to start throwing around wild accusations. Sadly Lord Harrow was tucking in with vigor, but maybe she could at least warn Velocity in time?

"Everything looks so good! I'm not sure where to start!" She began to pile everything on her plate, even the lobster, which was clearly not kosher. Looking across at her fellow super, she made a rapturous face. "This is so cool! Just like in a movie!" Then she fluttered her lashes like a starlet. But on the surface of her eyelids, for a few brief seconds, the words 'Food Drugged' were briefly visible to those with the speed to see them.

Edited by Heritage

Megan was a little surprised at first at how quickly Robert had thrown caution to the wind and started eating the food set out before them.  She had to admit that it was smelled temptingly delicious, but she had learned over the years to be cautions when unusual things were going on.  She would have thought Robert would have learned that by now as well.  The abandoned with which he began to eat really made her feel like something more was going on here.

When Lynn began to pile everything within reach on her plate, including things Megan was sure Lynn was not supposed to eat, the speedster looked at her fellow heroine, trying to see if she could figure out what was going on.  That was when she caught the warning on Lynn's eyelids, flashed ever so briefly, but more than long enough for Megan to catch.

A real sense of worry hit Megan then, as Robert was continuing to eat the food.  But she quickly realized it was best to play along, hoping that whatever was in the food would not be harmful to him.  "I suppose your right."  She replied to Robert as she began putting food on her plate as well.  But as she made to eat it, she made sure that none of it reached her mouth, something made easier by being able to move her hands faster than many could follow.

GM

The Duke seemed to be enjoying his food, at any rate, scoffing it down at a considerable pace. He only paused to drink his very fine wine, and comment on its vintage, tannins, and complexity. 

He turned to Grimalkin, fascinated by her. 

"My dear, you have come most highly recommended by a certain bookstore keeper. As has your speedy friend. Tell me, what manner of creature are you? An immortal goddess? A playful sprite? Do pardon my impertinence, my dear. I have a natural curiousity, the mind of a philosopher I am afraid. Too many nights of my youth studying Decartes instead of the rough and tumble of childhood play" he chuckled. 

"I won't deny an element of self interest, either! I still have my slowing brain to deal with. So far, Science has let me down, although Lord Harrow and Velocity may yet aide me with that. I cannot help but hope the Occult may be the cause and the solution to my problem. In which case, I must naturally inquire as to your nature and wisdom in such arcane matters!" he said, passing Grimalkin a very generous glass of rich and fruity port. 

Strawberries and cream were served, to complement the aroma of the ancient port decanter. 

Oh great, I'm gonna have to fake it. Luckily, I have a cunning plan!

As she took the offered glass of port, Grim cocked her head to one side. "Well as a self-described 'Mistress of Mystery', I do kinda like to keep a certain mystique surrounding me, know what I mean? That aura of, y'know, mystery!" She swirled the wine in the glass. "But I guess you could say my powers originate beyond the Faerie Veil?"

One finger began to lazily trace the rim of her glass as she scootched her chair a bit closer. "So tell me, Duke, is there a...duchess hidden away somewhere?" She playfully cocked an eyebrow as she slowly raised the glass to her lips. "Awful big house for just one man..."

As she tipped the glass back, the wine flowed right into 'the Vault', the extra-dimensional space she'd learned to tap into on the Other Side; not a drop passed the ring she'd traced with her fingertip!

Good thing I cleared it out before leaving; I'd hate to stain any of my old cool stuff!

Edited by Heritage

GM

"There is no duchess, madame But fear not, I am far from lonely" he chuckled, amused with himself. 

He paused a moment, rubbing his eyes. 

"So tell me madame...what would the Faerie veil say about slowing down, eh? Is it a glamour? an artifice? Some wicked curse? And more importantly, is there a way to speed things up again? After all, your good friend Madame Velocity has remarkable pace, does she not?"

He turned his attention to Velocity once more. 

"How did you come to possess such marvellous energy? Like a bolt of lightning! Perhaps that was it? Struck by lightning? Or was it a mere...ah...um...a mere..." he shook his head and yawned. "A mere accident of fate? or...birth? Good lords, I feel sleepy..." he said, yawing once more, his eyes crossing. 

Next to Velocity, Roberts face was in his bowl of strawberries and he was snoring heavily. 

As the dinner went on, Velocity kept an eye on Robert and the Duke, looking for any sign of effects from the drugged food.  She stayed part of some of the conversations, or otherwise just followed them, during the meal, continuing to make it look like she was eating it. 

As the desert and after dinner drink arrived, she was starting to see signs of drowsiness on Robert's face, so started to mimic such behavior herself. 

As the Duke turned his questioning to her, Velocity could see signs of him falling asleep as well, while Robert was already out.  The speedster decided to continue playing along, trying to play it off as if she was slowly succumbing to the drugs as well as she yawned and gave a tired answer.  "I...would have to was more a mere accident of fate."

She hoped that Grim would get the idea to play along as well and see what happened when they were all "asleep."

Grim was getting into the dopey act as well; she began to slur her speech a bit, and she seemed to have trouble keeping her eyes open. "'Wicked curse'?" She shook her head and tossed her napkin on the table. "Y'know I always wanted to see Wicked on Broadway, but I never seem...never seem to have the time." She took another fake swig of wine and appeared to doze off before her head snapped back up. "Wow, this jet lag is bad, dude! I can barely...barely..."

Then she slowly leaned forward until her face was pretty well mushed into her plate, and began snoring loudly.

Aaaaaand, scene!

In reality, of course, she was wide awake, and had shifted her senses to the conjured napkin, eager to get a look at whoever was behind the dinner's secret ingredient!

GM

Clonk...clonk...clonk....

To join Roberts head, three more hit the table. The Duke's, Grimalkin, and Velocities. Some snored, some did not. Who snored? That, dear reader, shall remain unsaid to protect the decorum of those present. 

The Head Butler, Rutte, coughed, then poked the Duke with a silver fork. No response. 

"Why the Duke has resorted to such drastic measures I will not know. Drugs, in food? Not a gentleman's game, I daresay" he sniffed, poking Robert, Grimalkin and Velocity in equal measure. The poke was hardly agony, but it was a firm and proper poke. 

"Take them downstairs. I don't know what the Duke plans" he continued, beckoning the manservants, and poking the Duke particularly hard to no effect. "But I would imagine we shall soon find out. Probably wants to address this slowing effect. Beyond me, I must say" he sighed. 

The assorted butlers and maids, two to a slumbering figure, started dragging the prostate heroes and the Duke down to the cellars...

Having let her herself drop down onto the table as if asleep as well, Velocity was actually able to keep her eyes open, her mirrored goggles hiding them from view, while also giving her a view of what all was going on around them.  When the head butler came in, the speedster was surprised to hear him suggest that the Duke himself had wanted the food drugged, but for what reason was uncertain.

Velocity had to force herself to remain still as she was poked by the butler to ensure she was asleep.  Her mind was racing as she considered what to do now.  It seemed that the Duke wanted them for some reason, if it was indeed true that he had ordered the food drugged.  But why was uncertain.

Deciding it might be best to continue playing along for the moment, Velocity kept herself limp as she was picked up to be carried out of the room.

Wait a minute, the Duke drugged himself? That seemed a little hard to believe, but not impossible. Maybe it was easier than trying to have separate drugged food just for his guests? Or maybe the butler was lying because he thought they might be faking it, and he wanted to throw suspicion off of himself or someone else he was working for? Or maybe the man they met wasn't really the Duke at all?

Whatever the explanation was, clearly more information needed to be gathered; Grim decided it was just to play along for a little while longer.

GM

The cellars, as it happened, where half cellar, half dungeon, half mad scientist laboratory. It had a faint and faintly unpleasant damp smell. The lighting was haphazard, with dangerous looking thick electric cables running underfoot and overhead. It took considerable effort from the servants and Rutte to avoid anyone getting electrocuted. 

Lines of computers, potions, glassware and electronics filled the shelves on the walls and antique tables. There were several beds, with leather straps, and in the centre of the room, what looked like a giant sarcophagus, power cables penetrating it from a variety of seemingly random angles. 

"The devils work. But he pays well" sniffed Rutte. 

"Haul them all onto the beds, and strap them down well. The sedative was strong, but no harm in a few extra precautions"

Saying that, he exited the cellars, going back up to the main castle. 

He was no liar either. Rutte bolted the door. THe eight manservants and the heroes were locked in!

And now, being dragged onto the beds with the ominous looking leather straps...

Velocity kept an eye on things as they were carried through the castle and then down into the cellars, which turned out to be at least a partial dungeon. The place certainly was a bizarre sight, but made the speedster wonder just who was behind what was going on.

Deciding that it was probably time to stop playing along, Velocity began to vibrate her body's molecules at incredible speed. Before the two servants carrying her even realized what was going on, they were no longer able to grasp her, as she quickly had her feet underneath her and moved away in the blink of an eye.

Stopping to face the group, she had her hands out in front of her as she called out. "Alright, I think that is far enough. What is going on here?"

GM

The manservants stumbled back in fear. 

"Please! Please! Don't hurt us! We are just doing our job! The Duke, you see...he pays us. We don't know anything! All these experiments he does down here...."

One stumbled back over a powerline, fell over and electrocuted himself unconscious, thrown off the floor in a shower of sparks. 

"He says...he is slowing down. But he seems to be everywhere, at once! Moves from place to place, city to city, in a blink of an eye! We don't know how he does it"

"He must be using this place to experiment on himself, make him faster! Although we don't know why, or how!"

Grim suddenly sat up, also done with the charade; she hopped to her feet and took a menacing pose, razor-sharp claws extended as she pointed a wicked finger at the frightened servants.

"This doesn't make sense; isn't the man brought down with us the Duke? Or is there someone else who bears the title?"

Then a sick thought hit her that made her stomach curdle; perhaps once again a man with a jovial exterior was revealing a hidden dark side...

"Does the Duke ever...talk with himself? Like with a different voice?"

Edited by Heritage

GM

One maid, a charming but short lady of middle age dropped to her knees, although she was very mindful of said knees in that they should not contact one of the myraid of power cables that snaked their way over the floor. 

"Please your grace! I mean ma'am! He never talked to himself! Though he was a secretive man, spending hours down here at a stretch!" she gulped. 

"We don't know why he drugged himself! We just got orders to serve the dinner, and then bring you down here! We just do what Mister Rutte tells us! He being the head butler, sir!" She said, at her wits end and tearing at her blond hair. She was not the only member of staff crying with fear in the cellars, either. 

A few machines blinked, ominously, and sparks began to fly from the wires, and from the central sarcophagus. 

Velocity rolled her eyes slightly (something the others could not see behind her mirrored goggles).  "Just great, the one who likely has the best shot of helping us figure out what all this is for when and got himself drugged."  She commented as she stopped vibrating her molecules, returning to normal.

She then moved over and took Robert from the servants that were holding him and moved the sleeping Englishman off toward one of the walls that was clear of all the electrical cables and mad scientist equipment. 

"Keep an eye on them and that sarcophagus."  The speedster commented to Grim.  "I will be right back."

With that Velocity vibrated her molecules once more and speed through the locked door.  Once through, she returned to normal once more and looked to try to open the door from the other side.

None of this made any sense, but it was pretty clear these servants were terrified; with a flick of her wrists, Grim dispelled her claws, then held up her hands in a placating manner. "See, nasty claws are all gone now." She looked around the cellar for a few open spots on the floor, far from the menacing cables. "Let's get all of our unconscious people out of harm's way, okay?"

The fae gestured a few times, conjuring several chaises longue in the Victorian style. "Here, help me get them off the ground. And tell me more about Rutte; what's his deal?"

GM

On the other side of the door....

As Velocity phased through the bolted door, she came across a most peculiar and surprising site. 

Rutte, talking to the Duke...

It was the Duke, no question. Or at least an exact copy. If it was a copy, one had to hand it to the copier. His clothes were the same, his features absolutely identical. Even his mannerisms of speech and gesture were a precise match. There was no way one could tell this Duke apart from the drugged one downstairs. Except this Duke had a crossbow in his hands. 

"<Yes, as per your instructions, the guests have all been...>" Rutte was saying before the Duke stopped him with a finger to his lips. He turned, serious, to "look" at Velocity. Which was in itself noteworthy - whilst vibrating she could not be seen. At least, not normally be seen. 

"<It appears not everyone was drugged....>" he said. 

"That is a clever trick, my dear. Very clever...I had not anticipated your ability to move fast enough to slip through molecules. I should have...A mistake I won't repeat" he told her in English. 

"But I can see you with more than my eyes, my Dear..." he finished. 

The bolted door was stiff and heavy. Rutte must have been stronger than he looked. Of course, Velocity could shift it...but not whilst vibrating....

GM 

Meanwhile...down in the Cellar...

"Rutte? He is the head butler, ma'am! always at the Dukes side. He helps the Duke in everything...including down here..."

Another maid piped up. 

"We don't know what happened. Last year, he was a dying man. Some kind of wasting disease...you know, getting weaker all the time. The Doctors, they couldn't save him. And the Duke said he would help him. Now, he is fighting fit!"

"More than that" gulped a third man, nervous and jittery. "He is stronger than he has any right to be. Faster, too. I never seen somebody so strong, not natural, it is. Not for a man of his age. Not for a man of any age" he said, full of doubt. "And he spends hours down here, even when the Duke is away..."

The first maid took up the narrative. "But...we don't understand it ma'am...the Duke is never away. He might fly to America, on England, or even Japan, but he seems to have two lives. Either that, or he moves at the speed of light! I swear he is in two places at once!"

Grimalkin took in everything the servants were saying and tried to make sense of it, but it was challenging; the key points were the realtionship between the Duke and Rutte, and the nature of the Duke himself. She found herself wishing Dok A was here to help her figure it out, but that just made her feel worse. So for now, it was just her and Velocity to fiigure out this mess. What was the Sherlock Holmes line everybody quotes? 'When you eliminate the impossible, whetever else remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.' Of course, Conan Doyle didn't know about time travel or super-people when he wrote that, so the definition of 'impossible' was a lot harder to figure out nowadays!

After making sure that Robert and the other unconcous folk were comforatable on their leather couches, Grim shrunk down to pixie size and began to flit this way and that around the cellar, looking for any windows, gaps or air vents small enough for her tiny body to fit through.

Edited by Heritage