Cannonade stared down the driver. "It's great to see good old-fashioned company loyalty at work," he said, trying - and failing - to hold back the sarcasm. "Huh. Don't think I see any personal effects. I mean, you'd think those would be important if some crazy person broke in and started tearing up the place. Then again, don't think you'd get that much for 'em at the pawn shop..."

He leaned in towards the chauffeur. "Anyway. Your boss. Heard he might be working with some out-of-town interests who've got some really interesting ideas for your drugs. Mainly involving the Terminus. Don't suppose you might have heard something about that? I mean, being so attached to his best interests and all..."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Look, that stuff isn't really my department..." The driver winced before adding, "But you guys got it all wrong. Listen, I don't even think the Terminus was ever really here!" She paused for emphasis, and added, "All I know is, the boss got this call from deep space or something, said it was a Stellar Khanate thing trying to see if they could make more T-babies on Earth for some kind of crazy harvester thing, seeing as how our genes all got pretty blasted back in '93. The boss wouldn't work for Omega, but make some people with powers, sure, why not? So they sent some supplies to here and some of the people who work with the boss, trying to see if they could make more T-babies. Who knew that would make you hero people go all crazy?" She shrugged. "Anyway, if you're looking for the boss's corpse or something, the lab guys dragged that off about the time you guys took off after your crazy friend."

"First, not my team," Renard commented. "Second, the rogues are being handled so I wouldn't worry your pretty head about it." The masked woman's postured changed slightly as she talked, becoming less confrontational. Eve knew the driver was frightened, and admittedly the implications stemming from multiple heroes having similar breaks from their usual behavior like Erin did unsettled her as well.

But that's something I'll have to leave to others, she thought knowing that whatever was happening at Grant Pharmaceuticals might get lost among the more flashier events. Let's try something different.

"What's your name?"

"My name is Grace Mercer," said the driver with as much dignity as she could muster under the circumstances. "I do things Mr. Grant needs done around here, most of the time, anyway. Anyway, listen, I've done some stuff in my time, but this crazy hero Terminus space stuff isn't really my scene. I'm more, you know, bodyguarding, acquisitions, the usual corporate stuff, none of this out of this world routine." She adjusted her tie, straightened her back, and added, "So if you're done with me, I'll just be taking my stuff and heading somewhere a little greener till you guys get this taken care of?" She bent down and retrieved her lost chauffer's cap as she spoke.

Cannonade could only imagine what "acquisitions" Grace had a hand in, and highly doubted they were "the usual corporate stuff." Eh, who the hell am I kidding. Given some of the crap I've seen bigwigs pull off, this probably could be business as usual for this crowd.

He took a step sideways towards the door - not enough to actually block it, but enough to offer the idea that he could easily do so if she decided to run for it. "So," he said, "this 'weird space stuff' you want nothing to do with, involving doping people up to make T-babies on demand. Don't suppose you'd know anything about what department would be handling that? And how your boss received a call from deep space?"