High Towers (IC)

Supercape

"Drug scandal?" Kristin sighed as she rolled her eyes. "Jackson I might get a little bit of a sugar-rush from my icecream but that's hardly a drug scandal!"

Behind the exasperated expression her mind was racing. Jackson thinks that... Hanks Sports Emporium is mixed up in drugs then? Wow and Towers just gave Hank a big wad of cash. I wonder if he's on something new that the drug testers haven't picked up yet?

She glanced at Jennifer and shrugged, then looked at Jackson again. "Okay, so at least tell me why you think I'm involved in.. what was it? Max and Whizz? Super drugs are they?"

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jennifer held a hand directly in front of the lens of Jack's backup camera, though making sure to avoid physical contact with the man or his equipment. "That is an interesting theory, given the only thing she purchased was a mouth guard and a pair of MMA gloves." Thinking of her sister working on her law degree at Harvard she added, "And do be careful with how loud you yell such things, there are still defamation laws."

The ebony scientist's attention had been grabbed by the mention of Max and Whizz, the former she'd heard of and even broken up a few sales of in her costumed identity but the latter was a new one to her. Maybe it's a new variant of Zoom? she wondered to herself.

• 4 weeks later...

GM

"Okay, so at least tell me why you think I'm involved in.. what was it? Max and Whizz? Super drugs are they?"

Jack Jackson rubbed his sore rear, looking at Kristen suspiciously.

"You aren't involved?" he asked, almost believing it.

"I find that hard to believe" he continued, waggling his eyebrows as his brain tried to process the new angle. "You pesky kid always gets into the worst kind of mess!"

"But say I believe you this time, which I don't...but say I do..." he said, leaning in more conspiratorially.

"Towers, the word is he is taking Super drugs, like Max or Whizz. But he is always clean. He's been tested for mutant powers, but again...clean. Nobody knows how he does what he does. And then, Hank's here...well, I got a tip that he was selling those drugs on the side..."

"Put two and two together, Towers here...I bet you he is getting supplied by Hank...."

Kristin raised an eyebrow as she looked at Jackson. "I think I remember reading about all the tests they've been giving him for those though?" she asked. "And they do have tests for the common super-drugs, so he can't possibly be on either of those right? I know he's a freakish athlete but everything so far says he's clean..."

Except the bit where you just saw him hand Hank a fistful of money...

"Doesn't sound like you have all that much but random accusations?" she noted. "But hey, that's still pretty good detective work you've got going there Jack, keep it up and you'll be a real journalist one day!"

GM

"But hey, that's still pretty good detective work you've got going there Jack, keep it up and you'll be a real journalist one day!"

Jackson gave a snarky frown back at Kristen, almost tempted to stick his tounge out at her.

"Keep up your disasters, and you might be a real super-villain, kid!" he retorted. "I've got my eye on you! one day I'll make my fortune with an expose!" he added, framing his hands in front of him, lost in his own little imaginary world of the perfect headline.

"And yes, that's the mystery. Towers is clean as a whistle, but he is passing off money to a dealer. So what's the story, huh?" he asked.

"I intend to find out! even if it kills me!" he said, stamping his foot with anger.

And with that he spun around and, with a hunched and sneaky gait, waddled back into Hank's sports store....

Jennifer had to bite her tongue, and hold her hands behind her back. The more Jack spoke, taunting Kristin and droning on and on about his dream expose, the more she wanted to pull out her web shooter and hang him upside down by his ankles. Taking a deep breath she made a note to bring these thoughts up during her next therapy session.

Watching him skulk away back into the store she almost let out a grim laugh, "If he thinks that walking like that is going to help him remain unnoticed while he snoops around, it just might kill him."

Kristin winced as Jackson started heading back towards the sports store. "Yeah I just can't see that ending well," she admitted. "He doesn't exactly have the ninja-stealth thing going on there. Hopefully he doesn't get kicked out too hard, he might go back to safer things like hounding me again!"

The Aussie teen went back to her icecream as she feigned disinterest in Jackson's infiltration of Hanks emporium, doing her best to make idle small-talk. It was pretty obvious however that her gaze kept flicking back over towards the shop. Jackson why did you have to pick here and now to grow a set? I really really don't want to have to come and save your ass. Getting into costume from here would be a nightmare!

Jen enjoyed her frozen treat, enjoying the idle chit-chat with the younger girl, though she caught the frequent glances back towards the sporting goods store her nemesis had snuck back into. "I suppose we should go back over there, if Towers really is doping and Hank really is supplying him then the chances of violence breaking out when Jack's discovered seem distressingly high."

He might be a jerk but he's at least pointed towards criminals now, she thought, as she tossed her balled up napkin into a trash bin effortlessly from five feet away. As she rose she glanced into her purse, seeing the web shooters tucked inside.

GM

Jackson's feeble attempt at stealth was predictably ineffective. He crouched, ran, hobbled, and finally straightened as his back gave way.

"Gnnngh!" he groaned, reaching for his lumbar region in agony. Several muscles went "twang" almost audibly, thanks to his contorted "stealth" posture.

"You again!" said one of the broad meat houses that acted as Tower's security.

"I told you to get lost!" he hissed, before giving a look inside Hank's emporium...unfortunately Towers and Hank had gone into the back room. He pondered the matter for a moment, his eyes screwing up with effort. Clearly intelligence was not on the menu for Security recruitment, at least in Towers' eyes. No, what mattered was muscles and the will to use them.

"I'm gonna bust your ass so good!" he said, deciding on the matter with a grin. He slammed one fist into the other and proceeded to the hapless reporter...

Kristin's eyes tracked the napkin automatically as it sailed past her and landed neatly in the rubbish bin. Nice shot! she noted, then turned back towards Hanks Emporium just in time to see the meathead security guard advancing on the apless reporter. "Oh for crying out loud!" she hissed in frustration, then glanced at Jen. "He might be a nuisance but I'm still not going to let him get beat up," she said. "Thanks for the icecream!"

With that, she scooped up the bag containing the mouthguard and gloves she'd picked up earlier and dashed back towards the sports goods store. Feigning ignorance about the impending violence she stepped squarely between Jackson and the bodyguard and held up the still-packaged mouthguard. "Hey you!" she shouted at the advancing man, putting on her best 'angry customer' voice. "I just bought this like ten minutes ago and the packaging's all torn! Why are you selling me damaged gear?"

Operation confuse the stupid guy... I hope!

GM

"I just bought this like ten minutes ago and the packaging's all torn! Why are you selling me damaged gear?"

The dark, heavy set man frowned as Kristen approached. He towered above her, and was just as big sideways as lengthways.

"Packaging?" he asked, incredulous that the girl had asked him about goods.

"I..uh..." he stumbled over his words, not knowing how to respond, and desperate to continue giving Jackson (who was moaning and whimpering) a good hiding.

His brain clicked into gear slowly...

"Inside...speak to Hank..." he grunted, giving her a thumb to the store. "I just gotta...um...sort out some customer problems...." he muttered, giving his knuckles a crack, although he looked a little off-stride from his discourse with Kristen...

Jennifer watched Kristin go back into the store and start yelling at the hired goon. I'd better get over there and make sure nobody gets hurt. If I'm recalling the new stories right she can throw a car with her mind and Towers' security goon is a complete unknown. If it comes to powers, this could get messy, she thought as she gathered her own bag up.

Once she was within earshot of the store she stepped out of the walkway and pulled out her phone, pretending she had just gotten a txt message and began typing on the screen as if replying.

"Hank's in a meeting," Kristin insisted as she stayed firmly planted in front of the heavy, her hands on her hips as she took on a more obstinate expression. "And as far as I can tell I'm the only customer in here with a problem. So stop cracking your knuckles - that's bad for you by the way, you'll get arthritis - and do something about it!"

Another idea came to mind, and she wheeled on Jackson. "And will you stop following me around?" she demanded, hoping that the reporter would take a hint and leave before he got himself into any more trouble.

GM

The brute seemed quite befuddled by the fiesty young girl in front of him. He was torn between her and his urge to give Jackson a taste of his boot.

"Err..." he mumbled, scratching his head.

"The boss is busy...can't be bothered..." he explained giving an awkward shrug whilst keeping half an eye on Jackson, and an angry eye at that.

"Look...little missy...I don't work here...I just look after the boss. Towers, you know, the basketball player? he is with Hank right now, and they can't be bothered. By anyone...you see? He's getting his stash...I mean his...ummm....equipment. Yeah, that's right, his equipment ..."

He babbled, looking around to see if anyone had overheard him.

"Yeah man, guy like him needs his equipment to stay top of his game...." he said, with increasing confidence and a grin.

"So look, why don't you get going and come back later, missy?" he pleased with the young girl.

Sticking her phone back in her purse Jennifer walked over and asked in a voice loud enough for anyone passing by to overhear, "And what kind of 'stash' is Coby Towers busying buying from Hank exactly?" The young African-American woman stood next to Kristin, feet firmly planted and a look on her face daring him to keep up the tough-guy act with her.

"If he's using anything with manaka root in its composition, he should be careful. Studies have linked the improper mixing of it and certain other chemicals to tooth decay, hairloss, and erectile disfunction. And that's just poorly mixed Max. The side-effects of Whiz and Max are even worse."

GM

Jennifer and Kristen could almost swear the thugs eyes crossed slightly at the barrage of scientific information that hit him.

"...uhh....." came the rumbling slow and drawn out response.

He stamped his foot in frustration and lashed out at the two girls. "Look I don't know what you are razzafrazzin talkin' about! Da boss ain't mixing mak-na-nah roots with no erectile decay...err...he got a doctor for that...he mixes out Whix and Max just like the ...hold on...are you with Jackson...what..." he stumbled, confused by his own ramblings.

"You are schnizzlin' my melon!" he said, talking in made up street slang. His eyes uncrossed slightly, and his face started to explode with rage, all popping veins and steaming ears.

"I don't care how old you are, I'm gonna kick your ass just like Jacksons!" he yelled, aiming a heavy boot at Jennifers behind...

Jennifer dodged most of the hired bodyguard's kick, taking only a glancing bit on one thigh before she caught the man's ankle while he tried to pull his leg back. Instead she yanked forward, pulling the thug into an uncomfortable split before slamming the heel of her hand into the side of his head, causing his eyes to roll back into his head. She let the man fall over in an unceremonious heap.

Turning to Kristin and Jack she pulled out her cellphone and pressed three keys, "I think the authorities will be rather interested in hearing about what kind of 'equipment' Towers has been taking into his games. Either of you want to help make sure he and his dealer don't scurry away?"

Kristin blinked in surprise as the bodyguard lurched at Jennifer, then gasped "Huh!" as she summarily disposed of him. "Alright, that was pretty awesome," she noted, then turned towards Jackson. "And if you write that this had anything to do with me I'm gonna get her to hit you too!"

She glanced at Jennifer as the other woman dialed her phone. "I think I'll just stay out of the way if you don't mind, I'm not quite such a dab hand at knocking out bouncers as you apparently are!" she chuckled.

Not while I'm out of costume and standing in from of Jackson anyway.

GM

"I think I'll just stay out of the way if you don't mind, I'm not quite such a dab hand at knocking out bouncers as you apparently are!"

Jackson blinked at the sight of the young girl trouncing the much heavier man.

"I see you have your own bullies!" he replied to Kristen "You probably need some protection, the amount of damage you cause...although I would have thought a superzero like yourself would prefer to use your powers of mayhem instead of getting some crony to do it"

He hobbled to his feet and brought out his camera to whip up a few snaps.

"Shame I didn't catch your glow on film" he muttered at Kristen, but he seemed satisfied with his pictures as he checked his digital camera.

"But at least I have something to report for my bruised behind! ohohoho! Towers is going to be mad at you when he comes out...!"

"Jackson," she called after the retreating man, "If the story so much as hints of liable or undue bias, I want you to remember the kind of legal team I have access to."

After pressing send send, she held her phone to her ear as she walked to a point where she could keep an eye on the office Coby and Hank had dissapeared into, "Hello, nine-one-one? I'd like to report a drug sale in progress in Hanks Athletics. I have reason to believe it's a hybrid compound with the properties of Max and Whiz so, if you have anyone available able to handle perpetrators of those drugs, it might be best to send them."

This is so going to get ugly when Hank and Towers come out of that office and find out that someone's tipped off the cops and flattened that bodyguard guy...

With Jackson's attention on Jennifer, the hired tough down and out and the other woman on the phone, Kristin eased her way carefully towards the change rooms while doing her best to not draw anyone's gaze. She didn't however duck inside straight away, instead leaning against the doorframe where she could watch the door to Hank's office and most of the shop floor.

GM

Bill (Barrowman) and Ted (Turing) where well known in the mall. Particularly the donut shops, where they were now seated, eagerly devouring some Golden Fried Cream Special [TM] donuts.

The two friends had been on the beat for years, and had come to patrol the mall on a regular basis. They were well known, and generally well liked, although the state of their girth was not, as they said, fit for purpose, when it came to chasing down shoplifters.

"Yeah dispatch, we'll check it out!" replied Bill to the call, giving Ted a nod. The pair lifted off their seats and towards Hanks Emporium, only two dozen yards away.

Bill looked back, and reached out his hand for just one more Golden Fried Cream Special...

A few minutes later...

"Calm down folks, police...." said Bill striding into Hank's whilst brushing away the last of the Golden Fried Cream Special crumbs from his shirt.

"Holy Schmoley! what have we here?" he asked, observing the beefcake that had been expertly dispatched by Jennifer.

"Razzafrazin Kids....those girls...they whupped my ass...." moaned the semi-conscious thug, not realising what he was saying (from the perspective of male ego...)

"Those girls did it, officer..." he said, shaking his head ineffectively to rid himself of the cobwebs that presided therein.

"I saw it all!" said a smug Jackson, stepping forward with a rather painful limp.

Jennifer watched the cops lumber up, inwardly facepalming. I ask for officers qualified for Whiz and Max junkies, instead they send a pair of fat slobs with donut filling on their uniforms, she inwardly grumbled. Standing with her shoulder squared and her back straight, she put on a forced smile for the cops. And then Jackson and the rent-a-though started talking. Next time Jackson, I let the jerk pound your face!

"Officers? I'm glad nine-one-one was able to send somebody so quickly. This man here," she pointed towards the barely conscious thug, "Attempted to assault me when I inquired into what kind of 'equipment' his boss, Coby Towers, had in his 'stash' to give him the edge he needed. When he let slip the names of two illegal substances, I mentioned some of the side-effects. This apparently enraged him enough to attempt to kick me. He's in his current position on the floor because I acted in self defense. I will be pressing charges."

GM

"Officers? I'm glad nine-one-one was able to send somebody so quickly. This man here attempted to assault me when I inquired into what kind of 'equipment' his boss, Coby Towers, had in his 'stash' to give him the edge he needed. When he let slip the names of two illegal substances, I mentioned some of the side-effects. This apparently enraged him enough to attempt to kick me. He's in his current position on the floor because I acted in self defense. I will be pressing charges."

"Coby Towers....the Coby Towers?"

"Illegal substances?"

"Kick you?"

"Self-Defence?"

Bill spoke, Ted licked his pen and wrote it down faithfully.

"Excuse me ma'am" said Bill "are you saying that you" he jabbed a finger at Jennifer "used....self-defence....on him?" he asked, somewhat incredulous. "That must be some kung-fu class you go to..."

He scratched his head. "I don't know what to make of this. I suppose we should take you both down to the station...and you, Sir, as you are a witness...." he said, to the eager-to-help / harm Jackson, who beamed with delight.

"Oh and there was another one here officer...a young mutant called Glow. She has quite a track record. I wouldn't be surprised if she has something to do with this! that would explain how this man here was beaten so soundly!"

Bill nodded slowly, pursing his lips and licking off a last crumb of donut. "I guess that would make sense...." he said more to himself than anybody else.

"Jack, the fact Glow was around has little to with my taking care of a guy hired because he's good at kicking reporters and breaking their cameras," Jen said, her mouth spreading into a smile containing nothing but disdain as she finished.

Turning back to the officers, "As for the some kung-fu comment, no. Actually I take Krav Maga lessons. But that's besides the point. Coby and Hank are in the manager's office mid drug deal. I'm fairly certain it would be deriliction of duty if to ignore what a nine-one-one call was placed for."

"And even if you focused on this current case, I'm sure you'll want the security footage even with witnesses. I know I do."