Meet the Irregulars (IC)

Dariusprime

Wednesday, February 8th, 2012

Claremont Academy

6:45 am

High above the clouds blanketing Freedom City, the superheroine Fulcrum basked in a bit of the dawn sunshine. Soon however her phone went off, the alarm alerting her about the upcoming meeting. A meeting specifically involving Vicky and her team mates, the Irregulars. Pocketing the phone, she dropped into free fall toward the city below. With any luck Bayview would soon emerge from the cloud cover.

Mona was still a little...tentative...about meeting the Irregulars. Nothing about them, no. No, she was a bit leery after her first experience with Wander and her team, Young Freedom. Thankfully, her second try at mentoring had gone much smoother, and as a result, her confidence to meet this new team was much higher. Bolstered by that thought, and her genuine interest in meeting new heroes, she smiled in anticipation.

The arrangements were simple enough. Wisp had been assigned Fulcrum as her mentor. The two spent time together, Fulcrum helped her out however possible, and scheduled supplementary training sessions. Early meetings, however, frequently brought up her team. Given the team name and the high regards with which Vicky held them, Fulcrum couldn't wait to meet the crew.

Which is why this Wednesday morning, the Irregulars' normal morning training would have a guest. While Fulcrum wondered if her arrival was hush hush, she did wonder if Vicky would surprise her team mates...

In any event, Fulcrum landed softly next to the gym entrance, ie the arranged meeting spot for the team.

If Fulcrum adjusted her normal to angle about five feet downward and four feet to her left there was Etain, sitting in a walking suit of pale blue pattern. Her dark curly hair was tied up into a high knot held in place by a silver hair clip with blue flowers. Her face was naked of make up and completely focused on Physics text book held onto the lap of her skirt with one hand covered in a white gloved hand while the other was holding a pencil at the ready over if she saw next to her an exercise sheet that was halfway filled out with very neat hand writing. She was engrossed in the assigned exercises for all of three seconds before her hazel eyes moved up to meet the gaze of the larger females. She took all of three seconds to return to her work, even if she was curious it seemed that she wouldn't ask questions for the moment as she needed to finish the assignment at her side before she attended the class she had for the period immediately after this training session.

Sitting on the roof of the gym, Vicky was hard at work writing a paper for her history class on the metahumans of the second world war. The parts involving Ubermench left her feeling more than a little uncomfortable. How wonderful it is having this monster's genes in me, she mentally grumbled as she read from her text book and wrote out her notes for the actual paper proper.

A few minutes into reading about Tank and Gunner she heard the wind rustle and looked up to see Mona descend towards the main entrance. Closing her book and notebook she shoved them into her bag and vanished from the roof, leaving only quickly dissipating smoke in her wake.

"Hey Fulcrum," Vicky said with a big smile as she reappeared a few feet away from the gentle giantess, "Thanks again for coming."

Ever since Morgan had arrived back on campus, the pair had resumed their morning run/cardiovascular workout around campus. John was wearing his usual set of exercise clothes, a pair of BDU pants with a t-shirt and patrol cap. Due to the slight chill of the weather he had added a hoodie to his normal ensemble along with his omnipresent sunglasses. The duo kept pace along side each other as they approached the Gym for their morning training session.

As the pair approached the gymnasium, one could tell they were talking to each other as they ran. Snippets of a conversation could be heard if one listened close enough, and could easily be understood once they got within earshot. "...and that is the reason why currently Headmaster Summers refuses for me to program Doom Room training scenarios for personal training purposes without staff supervision." John said to Morgan, the strings to his hood bouncing in sync with his gait.

He glanced back towards to their rapidly approaching destination, and saw Miss Etain, Brian, and a pair of legs visible hanging off the side of the roof that could only belong to Victoria. But that was not what caught his attention the most. Landing near the gym, was a statuesque woman who John identified from the time he saw her in Tian; Fulcrum.

John elbowed Morgan lightly in the arm and pointed out the new arrival. "It appears that we will have a visitor today." he said as they stopped in front of the gym and caught their breath before addressing the other nearby team members and the visitor. "Good morning everyone. How are you all doing today?"

Brian Harris was seated opposite Etain in a half-lotus position. Balanced on his knees was a huge, square-book, an art-book featuring some of the most famous architecture in the world. Arches and castles and fortresses and pagodas all graced the pages with vibrant color, and the young man studied each one intently. Every so often he raised his hands and a roseate glow suffused him. Energy would pool off of his body and form into a three-dimensional shape in the air, growing more complex and more detailed as he bent his will to the task. Inevitably, it would begin to resemble something in the book; then sweat would break out on his forehead; and in moments the details would wobble, then crumble, then the whole thing would fade away.

Brian set the art book aside and rubbed his temples. He was trying to learn to better control his powers, and at Brian Hughes' suggestion had started studying art, but he never seemed to be able to form a specific image for more than a few moments before it slipped out of his control and dissolved. He glanced up as he sensed someone approaching. For a moment he felt a sense of vertigo as his brain tried to fit the caped woman's dimensions into some sort of sensible scale, and then threw up its hands and admitted that she was just that tall. He stood, disentangling his legs from each other, and offered the woman his hand. "Hi there." He glanced over at Victoria. "Um. Fulcrum?"

Crowe kept pace with John quite nicely, dressed in a hoodie and pair of sweatpants; the bag which everyone of the small crew knew contained his coat slapped against his side in a rhythmic cadence with his feet. As John finished the anecdote, he shook his head and chuckled, his shoulders shaking slightly.

"Mate, that right there? That was messed up. Awesome, but seriously messed up."

He shook his head again, taking note with immense pleasure that everyone was bang on time (even Brian!)...except there was someone new here. The costume was unfamiliar, but after a moment of racking his memory, and a description Wisp had given him sprung to mind. His eyes went somewhat wide, and Morgan barely resisted the urge to let his jaw drop.

"Whoa. Fulcrum? The Fulcrum? Here?"

Etain smiled as she finished the last of her problems then closed the sheet inbetween the pages of her book for safe keeping. Standing up she dusted off her skirt absently and smiled at the arrival of the others,

"Good morning Morgan, good morning John."

She turned her head and continued,

"And good morning Victoria. Miss Fulcrum, it is very nice to see you again after, I see you are well after that nastiness at the Jade Arenas. I do not think Victoria mentioned to me that you were coming by, or I may of been distracted, that does happen."

She had greeted Brian earlier when he asked if she had any books on art so she left that part unsaid as she walked over to Brians side. She looked up at Fulcrum like she did many people because of her stature, though it seemed to surprise Brian as he was not normally comparitatively a small person.

"Sorry if I did not greet you earlier, I have quite a lot of homework which if I let my attention falter it will multiply to the point where I would not be able to leave my room for several days. Anyway, will you be joining for this mornings exercises?"

Before Fulcrum could much look around, the familiar sounds of Wisp's teleportation turned her attention to the young heroine. She returned the smile and playfully tapped Vicky on the shoulder, "Anytime. Thank you for inviting me. I look forward to meeting your friends."

At which point the others arrived, or in Etain and Brian's case, drew her attention. "Good morning. I'm well. How are you all this fine day?" Offering a handshake to each of them, she added, "Yup, it is me in the flesh. You can call me Mona if you prefer. A pleasure to meet you."

She paused for a fraction of a second, considering Etain's words and tried to match her with all of the personalities and costumes she memorized in Tian. After a moment, she nodded and replied, "Yes, even in the Heavens villains pop up. Good to see you as well."

Addressing the group as a whole, she said, "Yes, in fact I am here for your morning sessions. Since I've been mentoring Wisp, she invited me to meet her team. She speaks very highly about all of you. Mind if an old hero tags along?" At the question, she smiled warmly.

Brian glanced at the other members of his team and shrugged with one shoulder. "As long as Mr. Archer or Headmaster Summers doesn't object, I'm fine with it." He turned and started leading the group towards the security office. There were entrances to the underground corridors all over the campus, but he didn't know what connection Fulcrum had to the school. Vic and Etain seemed okay with her, but the secrets of Claremont weren't Brian's to tell, so he decided to simply use the most obvious entrance to the training facility and avoid showing Mona more than was necessary.

Morgan grinned and chucked John on the shoulder, hastening to keep up with Brian. Tak about awesome; a full-time hero, someone inspired by Centurion himself, coming to watch their training, give them pointers. If he didn't have his dignity to maintain, he'd be doing cartwheels!

"Be a right pleasure having you around, Ful-err...Mona, sorry. Wisp's told us a lot about your meetings, talked our ears off actually." A wink at Wisp on that one... "Anyway; we're hitting the DR this session, new training program to test some of the combinations and group tactics we've been drilling into each other's heads."

After exchanging pleasantries, John shook the heroines' offered hand while idly noting how much it dwarfed his own. "It is a distinct pleasure to make your acquaintance, Ma'am. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to ask." He replied to her, deciding to err on the side of treating her with a healthy modicum of respect instead of casual familiarity for their guest. It appeared that she was already familiar with both Etain and Victoria, so he decided to finish the introductions. "Brian, also known as Glowstar." He indicated each hero in turn. "Morgan, referred to as Crow." Then he gestured to himself "I am called John, or Myrmidon while in the field."

John held open the doors as the group went inside heading for the security office, where he gave Brian a nod of approval when he happened to look in his direction again. After all, they didn't know if this was an approved visit or not. He slowed his pace to fall into position behind them out of habit. He sincerely hoped that today would go better than the last time a hero paid them a visit, while watching the others. Morgan was practically ready to bounce off the walls in excitement, which elicited a small sigh and resigned shake of the head from John.

"Thank you," replied Mona with a smile. Walking slowly with the group, and after thanking John for holding the door, she said, "Mr. Summers approved my visit, and my mentoring gave me a level 2 clearance, including the Doom Room. Which means I can see the 'basic' secret stuff."

"Of course if you would like to check my clearance, please feel free."

Looking around the office, she continued, "I'm looking forward to seeing your styles as a team and individuals. From what I've heard the Irregulars are quite the problem solvers. Not to mention how your simulator works. Since the League's is down for repairs and the Interceptors' is, well, scrap, yours is the only game in town."

Overall a look of interest and amusement kept her focused. Perhaps Morgan's antics were part of the reason, and perhaps she enjoyed their obvious talent and enthusiasm. Either way the giantess looked all too happy to be with them this morning.

"What will this new program entail this morning?"

It was at that point the telephone in the security office rang, and John being the closest picked it up. "John here." His posture immediately straightened, exactly like a soldier at inspection as he turned to face the security camera in the corner. The conversation consisted mainly of "Yes, Sir"s, "No, Sir"s, and was concluded with a "I understand, Sir."

He hung up the phone and turned to Fulcrum. "I am sorry, Ma'am. We were uninformed of your security clearance level, a oversight that Headmaster Summers just corrected." He closed the door to the small office, it seeming all the more crowded with Fulcrum in their midst, as he punched in a code to the alarm box by the door. A few seconds later a hidden door on the wall by Morgan and Brian opened upward, showing a set of stairs that descended downward.

"Since you are here to get a feel for us as both a team and individuals, it would probably be best to probably forgo our normal training to better showcase our abilities." He gestured to the door. "After you, Ma'am."

Etain followed behind and watch John get confirmation. Not that they needed it, Fulcrum did not seem the type to fact that sort of thing afterall. As she looked at the door she thought of something,

"Well, I am not sure about teams but if one were really wanting to see how our individual styles work one on one matches would be most appropriate. Full contact, but no actual damage, I am sure the room could generate such a set up. Or perhaps we could spar each other. Though the match up is uneven."

She put a gloved hand to her lower lip balled into a careful fist,

"What do you think is more appropriate, simulations are nice, but I rather prefer the former myself, if only because I have not received the chance to properly spar most of you myself. But that can always be arranged for a later date."

Fulcrum gave the camera a little wave, knowing full well who was watching. She nodded and replied to John, "Thank you, sir." after which she ducked through the door and down the stairs.

"No need to apologize. I'm sorry for springing this visit on you," said the giantess as they descended. "Please don't change your routine on my account. Not like I'm here for some sort of inspection. I'd really enjoy getting to you as individuals as well as heroes."

Once the room opened up, she stood her full height and looked around the area. "So my next decision is what to ask first: about your abilities or your lives at Claremont. I'll go with school. How is the school year going?"

Vicky followed her mentor and her teammates into the gym, a pleased smile on her face at the reaction of everyone to Fulcrum's presence. She adjusted the bag that contained her books and the clean gym clothes she'd packed for today. "I had thought about warning them but I thought it'd be more fun to see the others speechless for once," she said with a small laugh.

When Mona asked her question, the white haired teleporter held her tongue and let the others answer. She'd already made plenty of comments to the giantess at the office when turning in comics.

Brian lead the group towards the Danger Room; except when Morgan's swinging arms let him grab the lead for a moment. The two kept increasing their pace until they were half-running when they hit the doors together, and held them open for the rest of the group. He grinned and touched his ring, and the silver threads leapt out to contain him in his costume. "School is... going okay, you know." Glowstar fluffed his cape a bit, unsure of how to proceed. Talking about his studies was never his favorite past time, but in truth his grades were actually on the upswing. Not having to sleep meant eight more hours to study, after all.

Strangely, the closer they approached the Doom Room, the more Morgan's excitability was being exchanged for a more cool professionalism (or at least, the best he could do regarding that as a teenager). Not that he didn't still hurry to keep up with Glowstar; he shot him a bit of an envious look at the costume change, though. He had to keep his in the duffel bag against his hip. Dangit, get your head in the game, M. Head in the game. Team's going to need you on top form. Got a lot of new toys to try out.

The teen shrugged at the question regarding studies; "Fairly decent, lost a couple of months thanks to time-space portals, but catching up quick. Latin's still giving me all kinds of stick, tho'..."

Etain let the subject lay as they decided to stick to the routine. She trailed behind, though somewhere between the benches and the door she had already changed without anyone noticing. It was her new costume as well, that was still neat and pressed like new through the efforts of Millie who was just excellant at laundry machines and irons even if she predated them by at least fifty years (Etain herself found herself avoiding the laundry room completely because of the fact that every single surface of any machine they found was coated in steel). The only part which she hadn't added was the mask which she slipped onto the bridge of her nose as she spoke,

"It has been a bit difficult as of late. I am to be graduating when the semester ends, so there are many projects."

She looked over at Morgan and smiled when he mentioned Latin,

"Do you have Misses Logan? I was in that class when I first came to Claremont but she had me switched into the one of the French classes because she was getting a bit annoyed with me correcting her speaking grammar so often."

At the time she didn't think she was being rude, but then again she had just gotten to earth.

John kept pace in the rearguard position behind the others, shedding his hoodie and patrol cap as they walked. Once he returned his focus back to the group both Brian and Etain had swapped to their field attire. He thought how to phrase his response after their guest had asked about their school. On one hand, she was their guest. On the other, John did not know what exactly her clearance entailed; i.e. whether or not she was aware of their complete dossiers.

Deciding to err on the side of caution he added to the discussion. "The summary of my last comprehensive report that I was privy to indicated that I was exceeding expectations." It was no secret that John did not have a class schedule like most students. Due to his lacking experience in social skills and knowledge, he had a special curriculum to try to bring him up to speed. It entailed crash courses in subjects like popular culture mixed in with the occasional classes he attended with other students such as economics and history.

Fulcrum kept her mouth shut and simply observed the various replies to her question and their interactions. All of the Irregulars were wonderful in their own ways, and every moment she was more-and-more pleased about the visit. Like any group of young people (was she really that old?), their interests and performance in school varied considerably. Which made them very endearing. She smiled. After all, she processed this information far, far faster than most people.

"Graduating? Do you have any plans?" she asked Etain as they walked along.

When Brian and Morgan hit the doors together, she giggled quietly, slowed down and looked into the Doom Room. "What routine will be running after all?"

"Please don't mind me. Run whatever simulation you want. Sparring, the new routine, team exercises. I'll just be an observer."

Interesting...

Morgan rubbed his chin, racking his brains to remember what routine had been planned. Normally Archer (MR. Archer, gotta remember that...) tended to surprise them, keep them on their toes when not doing the straightforward sparring sessions - today, though, was their choice of session. He answered Etain somewhat absently as he pondered.

"Mrs. Logan? Yeah, she's been giving me grief over my last essay; fact is, when most of the Latin you've got is learn-on-the-fly from old spirits and sidhe, means half the time what you're writing isn't exactly standard textbook stuff. Pronounciation and spelling, I mean. Annoying as heck."

He rolled his eyes; he -still- didn't even have enough Latin to carry on a conversation, despite his best efforts. The bulk of the time he needed a tome at Parkhurst translated, he had to run to one of Rene's paintings for it. He liked the old painter, though; pestering him consistently for translations was not something he wanted to keep doing....focus, Morgan. The teen shook his head and returned to pondering today's routine, eventually raising an eyebrow at John.

"We've got our pick today, and a guest...thinkin' something simple and straightforward, maybe the obstacle course or the classic five-v-five? Us versus five opponents of either our choice or random." He added the last sentence for Fulcrum's benefit, mentally facepalming. Mental note, think before you speak.

Etain looked at Morgan for a second before saying,

"Ego possunt te cum excellant monere de tenens colloquia in Latine tibi eligere Morgan. Ego possunt te cum excellant monere de tenens colloquia in Latine tibi eligere Morgan. Opus intueri licet intueri amet consectetuer adipiscing sermonibus artem. Solent ipsa miris proferétur ut esset lucrum alienis voltus cum usura langauge se."

Smiling she looked over at Fulcrum,

"I would prefer random myself for the five versus five, it is much more fun that way because there is so many different types of opponents programmed."

She had used it a couple of times, usually she found the delay time a little off, but sparring with the simulations did provide good practice even if she prefered real sparring partners.

Glowstar walked a little behind the group, fiddling with the cuffs of his outfit. It wasn't fitting quite right; maybe go back to get it tailored again? How did one fit a set of clothes made of morphic molecules?

"There's lots of old groups programmed into the computer," he pointed out. "We could do a real blast from the past. Say, the last Crime League?"

When the group arrived in front of the changing rooms John spoke up. "Might I field a suggestion?" John asked to the group, continuing speaking when he had the groups attention. "A proper demonstration that would show the extent of our skills would be both individual and team-based. Since Miss Fulcrums' intent is to divine further information on us based on first hand experience, I suggest that we do individual solo runs in the simulator and follow that with a team based exercise. A simple and mundane test scenario should suffice, for example a bank robbery by non-metahumans or another trial along those lines. In this manner we can showcase our individual skills that sometimes do not come up in team scenarios."

"Our choices for the trial would give further insight into our strengths and limitations and therefore be a much more effective demonstration tool in the matter. For example, the individual training scenarios that I routinely run are markedly different from the other Irregulars' choices." The last statement was directed at Fulcrum.

"Now, by your leave the members who have to attire ourselves normally can change while the others can direct you to the observation and control room of the combat simulator. We will catch up when we are finished there and then we can begin at your leisure, Ma'am." John indicated the changing rooms with a slight nod of the head in their direction.