Irregulars Revelations

Semi-Autogyro

Claremont Academy,

February 3rd, 2012

John rubbed his temples to alleviate the minor headache that was buzzing in the back of his head before looking at this watch. He blinked twice at the time shown, as he had apparently missed lunch while going over the redacted files that Mister Daedalus had sent him that were from a recently hacked SHADOW database. Nothing remotely associated with the project that had created him lied within; it was yet another dead end. Sighing as he stood and looked out of his window of his dorm room, his thoughts came back to the persistent thoughts of late that he should reveal his true past with his friends. It was getting more and more difficult to obfuscate the truth from them, and Miss Etain did know his secret but he was unsure if she understood the full ramifications of it at the time.

Truth be told, he was afraid of their potential reactions. They fought alongside him, trusting him to watch their backs. Based on just that fact, they deserved to know the fact of the matter. He had to see Headmaster Summers anyways to return the files, so he might as well tell others and then inform the Headmaster. He placed the files back in their folder before leaving his room and shutting out the lights, all the while hoping that he would still have friends after tonight.

"It is no wonder you conceal your face so fully, your expressions give away so much."

Etain was there. Her footsteps gave no sound, and there was no russle from her long skirt or sleeves. She was just there like she appeared out of thin air. Which may of been the case, not that John would of noticed so lost in thought he was. Her classes had just gotten out to the last few periods which of that day were occupied by two study halls and she spotted him as he left the boys dorm. Looking at the file she did not ask about it but gave him a little look,

"What is it that is concerning you presently John?"

She asked with a gentle voice neither prodding nor judging, but friendly as she kept up with her hands behind her back as she continued to keep pace with his walk.

John noticeably stiffened when Etain showed up his mental senses not catching her presence due to his mental ruminations. "Ah. My apologies. I was unaware I was being watched, so I was not focused on concealing my tells."

He looked around for any nearby students before continuing. John then raised his glasses up so they rested on his forehead and turned to face Etain. "I have finally made my decision to inform the others of my circumstances, and answer all the questions presented to me. I am troubled as to what their potential reactions will be. As such it has been weighing heavily on my mind as of late."

Etain's face softened into a smile,

"You are an excellant combatant and a good friend, so place your worries elsewhere."

She looked forward at the direction they were walking, which was towards the offices,

"So where are you going to do this then? Not that it would matter terribly, no one you wish not to hear this will have any sound reach their lingering ears, and those who wish to intrude through force would find themselves quite alone."

Her tone was jokingly as they passed, pushing her voice into a rhymnic pattern instead of the usual conversation form. She could talk normally, her lessons had provided her with the means but she liked to sound out the words and make things longer, it sounded more interesting and more natural.

"Thank you for your honest opinion of the matter. I was thinking of telling the others by the tree that seems to have an affinity for Mister Morgans various appendages, since we planned to all meet there today for lunch. " John glanced downward at the file in his hand. "It is my intention to keep the knowledge of the matter limited to those I feel should know, as per my agreement with Headmaster Summers. So I will take your offer to circumvent anyone from overhearing the discussion later."

He gestured with the file towards the Administration building. "If you will excuse me, Miss Etain, I have to drop this back off. I will see you again at lunch, and if you do see any of the others please tell them I have something important to talk to them about when we meet later today."

Vicky sat under the tree, tablet computer and stylus hard at work as she worked on one of her graphic novels. As she worked she found herself hardly noticing the winter chill in the air, getting lost in the page she was coloring. When her stomach growled for the fifth time she looked from her project to the clock. Noticing the time, she saved and shut down the computer.

Just as she put her equipment away she saw John walking briskly towards the administration building, a folder tucked under one arm. Slinging her bag over her should she waved and called out, "Hey John!"

John had just waved goodbye to Etain not a minute ago before spotting Vicky calling to over him and beckoning him over. He stopped and waited for her to catch up to him. "Good Day Miss Victoria," he greeted her when she got next to him. "It is fortuitous that I ran into you before we met for lunch today." He raised his glasses to his forehead again, so he could look her straight in the eyes. "I have a important matter I need to discuss with you and Mister Brian when we meet for lunch today. I have already informed Miss Etain. I would have liked Mister Morgan to be here for this as well, but I will talk to him privately on the issue later whenever he returns to campus." Johns' words rang with a hollow inevitability, like a man consigned to his fate.

"I have to return these back to the Headmaster, at the moment." He indicated the folder under his arm. "But before I do that, was there something that you needed?"

A red glow in the distance heralded the arrival of the final member of the Irregulars, at least as long as Morgan was away. Brian descended quickly to the Claremont grounds, his leather jacket flapping in the breeze as he shed speed. He touched down lightly, the ruby glow fading from around him as he let gravity take over again. He walked a few paces, feeling the ground solid underneath his feet, before noticing his friends and teammates. "Hey there Vic, John!" He waved and jogged over to join them. "What's happening?"

Vicky shrugged, "Nothing in particular. I'm just a little cold and kinda bored out here." She was a little surprised about an impromptu revelation being added onto the lunch agenda but she figured it was something it was something serious.

She was about to comment when Brian walked up to join them. "Hey Brian. Nothing much, I was just about to head into the admin building with John to warm up while he spoke with Mr. Summers," she answered before holding her cupped hands to her mouth and blowing into them.

Paf.

A distinct sound and impact was heard and felt on the back of Glowstar's head. A tiny bit of cold snow fell down to his collar, and down the back of his shirt. A snowball had flown from a very particular tree to impact on his head. A snowball in one of the driest winters Freedom had seen yet.

Eyes following the arc the snowball had described would see a figure sitting on one of the bare tree branches. A bare tree branch that usually saw a figure hanging from it, instead of sitting on it. A figure in a ragged longcoat, with a couple of holes punched in it here and there. A figure who was sporting a new, somewhat scruffy early teenage beard. A figure who was dusting snow off of a pair of new gloves, sporting metal plates on the back of them.

Morgan Crowe shook his somewhat longer-than-normal hair out from in front of his face, and waved at the rest of the Irregulars.

"Hey."

Vicky looked up into the tree and saw her boyfriend, her face splitting into a massive smile before she vanished in a cloud of crimson and white smoke, reappearing in another such cloud in front of Morgan. She grabbed the lapels of his tattered coat and pulled him into a kiss. When they broke for air she looked him dead in the eye and said in a low voice, "God I've missed you."

A few seconds later they were back on the ground, Vicky carrying the runemaster in her arms and showing all the strain of holding a gallon of milk.

There was Etain again, smiling at them. She had shown up more or less right before Crow had made his entrance but she didn't announce herself much.

"I see you have finally mastered your grappling match with the tree, however it seems you cannot compete with senient opponents as of yet. I am sure Victoria will help you with that soon however."

She smiled as she glanced around and everyone else around them simply forgot they were there. They still saw them, out the corner of their eyes, a side glance but nothing about this was interesting enough to pay any attention too.

"You seem well Morgan, I am singular excluded from your training exercises so maybe later you could do a proper spar with me to assess your progress. I can assure you I will not use my powers if it will set you at ease, it is not very fun like that after all."

Brian started when he felt the snow impact the back of his head and spun around, floating a few inches into the air and letting power pool in his fists. As soon as he saw who it was, though, he touched down again and recalled the energy; normally he'd just let it dissipate into the environment, but ever since finding out what kind of energy he was using he was more wary about that. "Dude! Morgan! Where have you been, man?" He walked over and ruffles the shorter man's hair, before pulling at his beard. "Nice chin fur. You end up tossed to Scandinavia or something?"

"Much further then that. I hope you did not pertake of that countries alcohol, I know the legal age is lower, but it really was not made for human consumption."

Her eyes set upon the gloves,

"Ohh, those are lovely, a nice little pattern to set upon a craft. I am sure you will think of something nice. But now then, it is good you are here. I am not sure if you heard, but John has something he would like to share."

She smiled folding her hands as she looked at John.

John stared at the happy reunion of his friends, a small voice of reason shouting in the back of his mind that it wouldn't last long due to his upcoming bombshell. Mentally suppressing the voice as he walked forward to greet his absentee companion, he walked around the rune-master as if appraising a vehicle or item at auction. "I was not aware that your magical training included the requirement of successfully impersonating a vagrant..." He stopped when he was in front of Morgan, "But I am glad to see you doing well, my friend." He smiled fully, clapping Morgan with a companionable grip on the collarbone. The smile changed into a slight grimace before being replaced by the normal impassive look John usually adopted as Etain mentioned the business he was here for in the first place.

John released Morgans' shoulder, and hung his sunglasses from the collar of his shirt. Glancing over at Etain he asked her, "Would you kindly put up your ward?" When she had affirmed it was up he turned to face the others. "First I want to thank you all for allowing myself to be called your friend. While I am sure that all of you might have had questions about my history prior to coming here at one point or another, you did not pry or try to investigate. You have shown me so much of this world I was not aware of, and stood alongside of me on the field of battle. You have placed trust and faith in me, and while I have returned those to the best of my abilities, I have kept the truth of my identity from all of you."

John stood at attention in front of the others. "My name is not John Smith. I am in fact a clone of Wilhelm Kantor, who is the leader of SHADOW; also known as Overshadow. I was intended an experiment in advanced eugenics by SHADOW in order to create a new super-soldier, and as better container for Kantor who uses clones as his body breaks down. My full designation is clone number RC-1207, and I was one of fifty experimental clones. I was the sole survivor of the advanced training and experimental procedures. "

The words, practiced in his mind came easily. "I was taken from SHADOW Complex AA-12 after its destruction by The Raven and Daedalus, and later the decision was made to place me here at Claremont. It was hoped that this would allow me to integrate into modern society, since at the time I was a created a little over 4 years prior."

John relaxed a bit, the weight of matter off of his chest but maintained eye contact with all present. "I am sorry I had to obfuscate the truth from you all, but the knowledge of my existence is extremely hazardous. It was for your and my continued safety, as SHADOW will go to great lengths to re-acquire me if they knew if I was still functional. If you have any further questions, I will attempt to answer them to the best of my abilities." He looked downward to hide his nervous swallow before looking at the others again.

Brian dropped his hand from Morgan's face as John started speaking. He was used to his friend's serious, deadpan tone, but this sort of information... A Nazi. More than a Nazi, the clone of a man who had kept fighting the second World War for decades after Hitler and Japan had given up. It was a sobering thought -- but on the heels of that, came the realization that he himself had something to share.

He cleared his throat and glanced around at the group. "Well. John told us about him, so I think it's fair that I let you all know. I'm a, well, a Terminus Baby." He clenched his teeth as the silence stretched. "I didn't really know until a few months ago, but I got checked out and ArcheTech confirmed it. All of my powers -- I'm not throwing around some generic cosmic energy. It's entropy."

Vicky eased Morgan back to his feet after John and Brian finished speaking.  Her tone showed she was a little nervous, "Well, since we're revealing our dark secrets...  I guess now is as good a time as any to admit my own energy blasts and super-strength are a result of a KGB backed experiment my mother was involved in.  The end result altered her DNA and has effectively made her biologically Superior's daughter."

She let that sink in for a second before putting a reassuring hand on John's shoulder, "Your secret is safe with me John."

"Both of you, it's not where your powers come but what you do with them that matters."

Morgan took Wisp carrying him with considerable aplomb (the fact that his legs felt like rubber right there was a bit handy; he hadn't considered precisely how he'd have gotten down from the tree afterwards), letting a genuine smile, one that he hadn't shown in months, crease his features. Then the confessions started coming thick and fast, and his head kept turning to face one after another of his friends, eyes going wider and wider, right up until Wisp put him down.

He looked at each of them again in turn, several different emotions crossing his face; confusion, surprise, sympathy. Then a low chuckle escaped him. He put his hand over his mouth, eyes going wide. Then Morgan's shoulders started fairly shaking with mirth. And, rather involuntarily, he actually let out a full-bore laugh. The young man let his hands drop,clutching at his sides; tears even began going down his cheeks. Given the situation, laughing was all he could do. It only lasted for a few moments before Morgan managed to clamp his hands over his mouth and let his shoulders stop shaking, then leaned back and gave an incredibly apologetic look to his friends and comrades.

"Sorry, really. I just...couldn't stop it; it was either that or go a bit crazy. So, just to be clear - we've got a clone of Overshadow, a T-Baby, Superior's daughter, and...what the hell, Vickie and John know already. I'm the son of the Morrigan. Irish goddess of war and death...we really are a strange crew, aren't we."

He still smiled warmly at John and Brian, throwing an arm over Vickie's shoulders. Frak Overshadow, Superior could go take a flying leap, and stuff the Terminus; they were his friends.

"I'll second what my better half here said; three words. You're. Good. People. End of story."

"Yes, you are."

Etain smile never faltered during the conversation,

"And the details do not matter. You all have questioned me very little about my being, about my qualities that make me so different from everyone else. I do know something that might be of interest to you all."

She held out her wrists she without faltering the ward against their conversation made visible a pair of ringlet circles on each of her wrists,

"I am not sure if you recognize these Morgan, these are not usually visible but they are very real. The school does not trust me, when I came here they put this spell that directly limits my powers. Originally it would make it so my illusions only covered the more immediate area around myself, I however pushed against the boundaries through force to make it something like five room lenghs. There is also some details about my powers you may not have thought to question. I cannot give you the whole truth about who I am, and where I am from, though I suspect Morgan may have some inkling of the sort, but please, if you are curious ask me about my powers. They are by far the most mysterious thing about me, especially since naturally I cannot use magic on my own."

John watched the others reactions intently, mentally preparing himself for the worst case scenario. Instead, they all were accepting of the fact and even exposed their skeletons lurking the closets. Their reasoning was baffling as well. John had never thought his powers were intrinsically horrible, but their originally intended use was. However, he was currently stupefied at their assertion he was indeed a good man. Something he questioned every time memories that were not his made themselves known as a sort of perverse déjà vu, like the remembrance of smug satisfaction and innate superiority while looking down into a prison camp. His face took on a expression somewhere between quizzical and disbelief, echoing the the thought that went racing through his mind: what the hell did I do to deserve any of them? The realization of the warm weight of Victorias' hand on his shoulder and the madcap laughter of Morgan brought him out of his reverie, and a small smile to his face.

"It would explain why we have wound up meeting each other and forming this team. As you have pointed out, Morgan; we are not considered exactly regular by most Claremont standards." John shook his head in dismissal at Etains' offer. "I do not know much about the nature of magic, but it has been my experience that such secrets have a reason for remaining so. In any case, I would not want to take away your enigmaticism, Miss Etain."

Brian looked around at the group, frowning slightly. Then his lips curled up, his expression cleared, and he laughed loudly. "This is great," he said. He turned to face each member in turn, pointing at them as he called them out. "A Nazi science project. A Soviet science project. Death's kid. A Terminus Baby. And whatever Etain is, she thinks it's too weird and wild for us to even handle." He shook his head, smiling. "I move we change our name to the Amazing Monster Squad. All in favor?"

Etain laughed, it was a delicate dainty laugh but a geniune one. She waited a few seconds before saying,

"Irregular we may be, but not so much that anyone would consider us to be an image of what is a monster. Given the definition of such is one distorted so much. Like for example how people assume Custos is monsterous so much so I usually have to conceal him so as not to rise panic, and he has hurt far less people then myself, especially since as a guardian he cannot pre emptively strike anything human."

She honestly didn't understand why Custos frightened people, why people didn't identify with their guardians immediately even if they did not look like themselves.

Vicky turned to Brian. "Yeah, and my dad's a retired CIA operative too. Thinking too hard on my family makes me feel like something out of a James Bond film. But, no. The Irregulars is a good name for our merry little band of dysfunction," she commented with an easy smile.

An idea sparked in her mind and in seconds she was pulling out her tablet, the screen already lighting as it powered up. "Well, now that we've got the band back together, anyone for a group photo?"

Morgan was quite cheered by his compatriots' various reactions - this was bringing them closer, instead of driving them apart; a fear he'd harbored, albeit buried deep. He shook his head, quirking his mouth slightly self-depreciatingly. Heh. Good people. Good friends, and good people. Of course he had some suspicions about Etain - he'd mentally referred to her as a thoroughly fey individual before, and he suspected highly now the term might have been far more literal than initially expected. Still, that was her buisness. Though one of these days he really should ask her if she knew about Branagh or the Lady at all...

Crow shook off the reverie and brought his attention back to the real world, raising an eyebrow at Etain as she mentioned the gargoyle she had for a pet. Charming guy, real rock-solid, but a bit too grave-l for his taste.

He facepalmed. That inner pun was too much, even for him. "Uh, Etain...no offense, but most folks aren't used to seeing flying statues. Especially ones that enjoy reality TV...have you tried introducing him to sitcoms?" It was at that point Wisp broke out the tablet, and he grinned, making a motion to each of the others.

"Hee, what the heck; something to remember ourselves by, yeah? Best years of our lives and all that jazz?"

John looked more relaxed than he had in days, the millstone that burdened him being cast off. "That sounds like an excellent idea, Victoria." He blinked, realizing that he had just addressed Vicky so familiarly. Later in the day, Headmaster Summers would point out to him that it was probably a sign of his now complete trust in his friends. Based on the fact that they no longer could be defined with a mere title in his rigidly military mindset anymore.

"In that case, where would you like us to move?" He looked around and pointed at the tree where he had first met both Morgan and Vicky. "Perhaps under the tree? I think it would be an appropriate backdrop for the photograph."