Upgraded Protection (IC)

Supercape

"I've got my golden chum, Protectron down here" replied Supercape to Dragonfly and Ms Americana.

"It's probably bet to meet face to face" he explained "but in principle I am proposing that Protectron is upgraded to full access to the Lab, and perhaps official member. Have a think about it. He has been a model citizen, so to speak. And from my discussions with him he has an excellent understanding of science and engineering. Probably a good thing, since he has to understand his own workings, I would imagine. To my mind, he ticks all the boxes, and has been bumbling about on the lower levels for too long..."

With that he turned of the intercom and gave Protectron a smile.

He turned back to switch the intercom on again.

"Oh, and he has a rather splendid design for the Lab logo..." he added as an afterthought.

Observation: Friend-Dragonfly's tone indicative of frustration and elevated stress. Context indicates problems with flying mechanoid.

Suggested Courses of Action

A] Interface with mechanoid to assist in ascertaining problem.

A.2] Friend-Dragonfly can do so on own, but may appreciate 'second opinion.'

B] Provide calmative agents; soothing teas and 'comfort food.'

"Respectfully, Friend-Supercape, you speak in error," the golden robot's flat voice announced, directed at the physicist. "The design for the suggested imagery was not mine alone, but rather a collaborative effort; you supplied the initial iconography, which I expanded upon."

"As for the security matter," it continued, turning just enough to face the monitors, "Friend-Supercape believes I am worthy of the responsibility of having expanded access to The Lab, and a commensurate increase in duties. I shall do my utmost to prove worthy of this trust, should the rest of you agree to the change."

Dragonfly's face (or, her helmet, at least) finally appeared on-screen as she sat back down in her chair; just visible on the edge of window was some manner of little drone - still mostly wires and circuitry - that was trying to inch toward the side of the desk. Its creator absently flicked it with one finger and it stopped. [bg=#555555]"Interesting idea. Protectron, I mean; icon is interesting, and probably overdue, but not my area. Worth seeing design ideas, though. Can be down soon. May need a minute to build a small cage."[/bg]

Observation: Imprisonment not conducive to furthering of organic-mechanoid relations.

Problem: Must work around Friend-Dragonfly's psychological issues in a way that does not cause offense.

"Friend-Dragonfly," the golden robot's quickly (but still flatly) said, "it would make me uncomfortable to know a fellow mechanoid is caged. May I try to communicate with it and attempt to 'talk it down'? If successful, you would not need to construct a cage, which means you could come down here sooner, and thus return to your work sooner."

Scanning construction... matching elements to known exemplars of Friend-Dragonfly's works... searching for appropriate frequency... awaiting go-ahead.

[bg=#555555]"What?"[/bg] Dragonfly looked up from the little metal cage she'd already started putting together; from the sound her her voice, her expression under that helmet must have been pretty blank. what does he-? - what? - oh! - no [bg=#555555]"No. Not necessary, I mean. Not intelligent - the drone, isn't. I don't make sapient artificial intelligences. Don't consider it ethical most of the time - unpredictable, sometimes unstable...obvious exceptions, of course,"[/bg] she added, gesturing through the screen at Protectron. [bg=#555555]"But can't guarantee results as excellent as you. This is just an autonomous security drone. Wall-climber. Has some kind of electrical problem, but no diagnostics - want to isolate it before shutting it down. Can't do that if it wanders off, and surges are making programming unstable."[/bg]

Supercape put his head in one hand and massaged his forehead. As far as he was concerned, Dragonfly had put an enormous boot in a clumsy mouth, and was then proceeding to dig herself into a bigger hole.

Not that, in his opinion, Protectron's social skills couldn't do with a software upgrade too. It was always polite, but in that flat tone, it had a tendency to just miss the target.

"*Ahem*" he coughed, intent on rerailing the conversation before it degraded any further "This might be better face to face, hmm? less chance of um, misunderstandings..." he left the word hanging for a fraction of a second.

"Lets meet in the conference room level 5 eh?" he suggested, and proceeded to that destination.

Observation: Human definitions of 'sapient' are often too limited.

Initiating contact with 'Autonomous Security Drone'...

... no appreciable response received. 'Drone' is, in fact, a barely-sentient drone; can only process a dozen verbal commands, some minor biometric scan-based command interfaces.

Note: Ask Friend-Dragonfly if she would be interested in collaborating on mechanoid intellect development projects.

Observation: Friend-Supercape has coughed. Indicative of infection? Shall add immune boosters to next meal package; schedule diagnostic on Lab air filters.

"Yes, the Level 5 meeting room would seem adequate for this meeting," the robot announced flatly, waving to the screens. "I look forward to seeing you all soon." It followed Supercape out.

A scrap metal cage to hold an unarmed surveillance drone was not exactly the most complex and intricate device Dragonfly had ever put together, but it still meant that a minute or two passed before she locked her office and made her way down to the meeting room.

Once there she forwent the chairs in favor leaning back against a wall, tapping a finger against her arm as she tried to clear her cluttered head of the projects she'd been working on. [bg=#555555]"Only major concern I have with giving Protectron greater access is his still...unknown origins,"[/bg] she offered. [bg=#555555]"Should add that it isn't related to his nature - your nature. Would have same concerns about a human with amnesia. But is my only concern; don't have any compelling reasons to doubt you."[/bg]

[bg=#555555]"Only major concern I have with giving Protectron greater access is his still...unknown origins. Should add that it isn't related to his nature - your nature. Would have same concerns about a human with amnesia. But is my only concern; don't have any compelling reasons to doubt you."[/bg]

Supercape nodded sagely before looking back at Protectron.

"I guess I agree, my golden chum" he said, addressing the robot. "You have proved most trustworthy, helpful, and so on. But your origin is still a complete mystery..."

He drummed his fingers on the table of the conference room.

"I don't want to pry, but on the other hand, there is some sensitive stuff in the Lab, as you know. Not least of which the particle accelerator on the sub levels. It would be great to have you on board, but there is still the trace of enigma about you. I for one would like to know, just to dispel the doubts...."

Observation: Mysteries of origin continue to unnerve Lab-Friends, as predicted.

Hypothesis: Present own concerns to show further 'common ground.'

"I do understand your concerns, Lab-Friends," it said flatly, "for they are ones I share. As far as I know, I came online at 10:00:01am Eastern Standard Time on January 1st, 2011, in an abandoned domicile in the Lincoln neighborhood of Freedom City, with no memory of anything prior to that. It is highly unlikely that I formed naturally, without the intent and actions of some intelligence, but whether that guiding intellect was some corporation, government, supervillain, superhero, alien, or some gestalt 'technospehre' is completely unknown to me. Though extraterrestrial is unlikely, given that all my components, while advanced, are not made from anything that could not be manufactured on Earth. It is a mystery I wish to unravel, and while time is a luxury I can afford to spend on my search, I would prefer finding answers sooner, and for that I would like to enlist your aid."

Its green-yellow optics continued to pass over the three, wavering only to adjust their focus, "I have allowed those of you who were interested to view my code -- my mind -- and you say you have found nothing that appears nefarious, no hidden trapdoor through which some agent could monitor or usurp control over me, or any subroutines hidden from my higher consciousness awaiting for some trigger to activate. It is my one great desire to aid organic life, and aiding superpowered exemplars of the dominant species appears to be the best way to do so; I get along best with you all due to our shared affinity for science and technology. I should like to continue working with you, so we may aid each other in our professional and personal projects."

Dragonfly tilted her head as she listened, lowering her arms to quietly tap a finger on the wall behind her. good answer [bg=#555555]"Good enough for me,"[/bg] she said, nodding. [bg=#555555]"Would have been more concerned if you had dismissed it outright. You know your possible limitations. A good thing. Have certainly had time to observe you, get to know you - we all have."[/bg]

She shrugged, turning to look at Supercape. [bg=#555555]"No objections to...mmh. 'Promotion?' Security clearance, at very least. Could probably clear out workspace for him upstairs if he wants private rooms. Can't predict others' opinions, of course, but...phrase...'he has my vote'."[/bg]

"You have mine too, then..." added Supercape, slapping his hand down (not too hard) on the table.

"It seems your origin and, er, manufacturer...are a mystery to yourself as much as us" he concluded "as for your Artificial Intelligence code, I can't say I have more than a basic understanding of computers...enough to know your system is more complicated than anything I have seen. But if Dragonfly vouches that you have no ominous sub-routines or hidden protocols that pose a problem, its good enough for me!"

He sat back, folding his arms loosely. "For my part, I think an upgrade is called for. Full time Lab member!"

"Private room," it repeated.

Observation: Need for shelter from elements minimal, need for privacy minimal, therefore need for private room minimal. If space can be put to better use by other Lab-Friends, space should be apportioned to them.

Hypothesis: Room was offered not due to my needs or desires, but for their own psychological needs. By offering me a room of my own, and by having a room of my own, I am seen as more like a person.

Conclusion: I shall take the room as offered. Can serve as tertiary store for nonperishable foodstuffs and other supplies. Or a place to practice assorted arts and crafts.

"I had not anticipated such an offer," it said after a moment, "but I do welcome it. What is our next step in upgrading my security clearance?"

[bg=#555555]"Theoretically nothing."[/bg] Dragonfly tilted her head back the other way, mentally running down the list of security protocols and the access required to change them. [bg=#555555]"Would just have to notify security, upgrade your security in the system. Latter's supposedly complicated - paperwork, minimum full member support, protocols - but founders have root access to Lab systems, so not that hard."[/bg]

[bg=#555555]"Mmh - probably good to notify other founders first,"[/bg] she added, almost as an afterthought and after a moment of tapping a finger. [bg=#555555]"In case they have objections. Doubt they will, but probably better to include them. E-mail should suffice."[/bg]