Certain Flaws [IC]

April

Mara shot Jill a concerned look, squeezing her hand but letting things go without comment. ask her later In the meantime, the parts of her brain not worried about her girlfriend were trying to run the math on the mechanics of transporting the whole group (whole room? - literal piece of the building? - unclear - mmh) en masse across the ocean. energy requirement would be - no one seemed surprised - who - what - how - 'been practicing' - not inspiring confidence "Probably...best to plan, anyway. Supplies, itineraries, chance to...phrase." She ate a bit of roll, frowning. "Mmh. Put things in order, in anticipation of being gone for a while."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Yeah...yeah." Suitably chastened, Mark ate his food. He was a little disappointed no one had gone along with his scheme, but he was used to his friends preferring to plan things out where he preferred to jump in and let the chips fall where they might. "We'll do it another time. I've got a lot on my plate. My mom is out of therapy," he offered, mostly for the benefit of the friends who'd been there when she'd gone in. "And she wants me to move back into school."

"Heh," Trevor made a short sound somewhat analogous to a chuckle. "Probably end up in Seattle again, anyway," he noted with subtle smile in Mark's direction. The look turned sober at the mention of his friend's mother, and the lean youth offered a slight nod. "Good to hear." The tremendous ordeal Mrs. Lucas had been through over the past year had left her fragile, and the psychological damage had been obvious.

"That's great, Mark," Erin said with sincere enthusiasm. "Glad to hear she's getting better." It was weird to see the happy-go-lucky reality controller ever upset about much of anything, but his mom had really been worrying him since the spring. Maybe she herself thought it was a little strange that Mark and his mom had been so profoundly affected by his dad basically moving out, but she didn't like to try and judge anybody else's pain. The fact that Mrs. Lucas was recovering was a victory. "Are you going to get the same room assignment? I thought I heard they reassigned your slot while you were living off campus."

--That really is great to hear Mark,-- Eve said, offering her friend a warm smile. --And if you and your mother need anything, let me know, OK? We'll take care of you.-- The telepath put her fork down and folded her hands in her lap, taking a moment to look at each of her friends.

--As most of you know,-- Eve hesitantly started, a thread of nervousness woven into her mental voice, --I tend to do things deliberately, and often my words or actions would have more than one meaning behind them. Today is one of those times where an action has more than one purpose.--

--I've been thinking a lot of about what Alex did last June, when she went public as Psyche,-- Eve said with a frown, abruptly shifting topics. --My circumstances are slightly different; far too many people already know that I'm... not normal. And it didn't take a genius to connect the white-haired, green-eyed mute Eve Martel with the psychic named Sage who showed up in the middle of the grue invasion last year with identical features.--

The telepath shook her head slightly. --I'm not going to go completely public, of course. But you all deserve to know who I am, who we are. Because of SHADOW, because of what they know about me and my family. And because knowing me puts yourselves at risk; especially you three,-- Eve said, shooting a look at Erin, Trevor and Mark.

--I've kept you all at arm's length because I thought that would be best; for me and for each of you. But wonderful friends that you are, you've battered that notion aside. So, umm,-- the psychic added, voice going quiet, --I thought I'd let you in.--

"Oh, okay," said Mark, getting the same baffled look he got anytime someone suggested giving away their secret identity. I just don't understand that? Why would you do that? He'd watched Alex's explanation about giving away her own secret ID a few times, but truthfully he'd just sort of wandered off around the time she started talking about the common purpose of humanity. "If that's what you choose to do," he told Eve, "we're your friends, and we'll have your back, however you choose to live." Did that sound weird? I thought it sounded weird...wait a minute! Psychic...high school senior...no secret ID... Mark put his hand over his mouth, his eyes going wide. "But Eve...Eve...does this mean you're a Terminus Baby!?!"

Dragonfly frowned, glancing around the table at the varied reactions. She vaguely remembered something about Psyche going public - her memory was good, but couldn't help her with things she'd barely paid attention to in the first place; as she recalled it'd made quite the stir, but she'd had other priorities at the time. She could only assume there was some greater importance at play here, too, somewhere under the static-filled telepathic explanation and the looks on peoples' faces, but without proper context - which she made a mental note to ask Ellie about later, if it didn't come up before then - she resorted to sitting quietly in her seat, listening attentively, quietly popping a grape into her mouth with the hand that wasn't more pleasantly occupied.

--While there are similarities between me and Alex that is not one of them,-- Eve projected while smothering a bubble of laughter with a shake of her head. --But thank you Mark, your words and continued kindness mean a lot.--

Looking a little worried, the gymnast brushed a hand through her hair. --With you all graduating soon while I still have a year to go yet at Claremont, I'm worried that we'll grow apart. To that end I would like to invite you all here at least once a month so we can stay in contact.-- Eve shot a smile at Mara, --And while I know you don't know me from Adam, you're more than welcome too.--

Jill gave Eve a broad smile despite still being a little shaken. She was glad that the telepath had chosen to open up to her friends rather than retreating further into herself after such a traumatic experience, and glad that her first semi-public outing with Mara - pun intended - was going so well. The small brunch had been something of a calculated risk, but it had clearly paid off. "Well, the biblical jokes alone'll keep us coming back," she assured Eve dryly, unconsciously leaning a subtly closer to her date as they held hands under the table.

As the more sociable kids settled into a conversation, Hope gave Trevor an apologetic look and said, "I'm real sorry if I weirded you out, earlier, honest. It's just, well, Midnight's a pretty big deal where I come from." Sobering up a little, and letting the jokey manner that was an affect from other teens slip, she added, "I guess that's why I haven't said anything to you before. When you spend your whole life hearing stories about someone, trying to live up to their legacy, well...it's a little intimidating meeting him, or at least his heir, in the flesh."