Downloading Uptown (IC)

Dragonfly pondered for a moment, tapping a finger on her leg. "Haven't done too much programming lately. Mostly been doing engineering...could show him one of my control systems. Mmh! And I brought my pet for some tuning. Have been adding to his 'brain' off and on." She shrugged. "Not exactly a super-computer, but isn't supposed to be. Trying something new with layered systems."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharl was a good guest as he walked with the science heroes through their various labs, asking occasional questions but mostly just watching. For all that he was a computer program himself, the young man (if you could call him that), was clearly no scientist, asking the sorts of questions that an enthusiastic if not terribly bright amateur might inquire about. Despite his own status as an artificial intelligence, he showed very little interest in questions of that nature, instead focusing on what was evidently his passion: aliens. "As long as I can remember," Sharl told his guides truthfully, "I've always thought aliens were really neat. They seem so exciting." He hmmed at that, and murmured to Dragonfly and Miss A. "Do you think that, er, Protectron might be an alien robot?"

Observation: Sharl expresses interest in extraterrestrial organic life. This is another point of commonality between us. Probability of 'Lasting Friendship' increasing.

Query: Am I of extraterrestrial origin?

"I do not believe I am of extraterrestrial origin," Protectron replied flatly. "My humanoid form implies creation by entities of a similar shape. However, my research has lead me to discover the existence of humanoid life forms from other planets, such as the Farsiders, and the Lor, so my form alone does not preclude a non-terrestrial origin. It is my operating systems that lead me to believe I am of terrestrial origin. Though much of my logs and knowledgebases have been wiped, the ease at which my systems can interface with all existing computer networks implies I was created by agents with intimate knowledge of those networks."

"I would be very interested in meeting extraterrestrial organic life," it continued in its electronic monotone, which did not convey any sense of interest. "Particularly non-humanoid life forms, and life forms from environments radically different from that of Earth, to see the many ways organic life thrives."

"Speaking of aliens, have you ever heard of the Curator?" Sharl asked his three guides as they reached the public rooms. He'd already had a conversation something like this with Gina, and devoured everything he could find online, but the alien despot (or so he figured him to be) who was responsible for the current state of Tronik wasn't a very famous figure among the common media of the world. He assumed that so big a threat had to be kept secret, so no one panicked. "A very powerful alien machine intelligence," he explained. "The Freedom League has fought his robots."

Dragonfly frowned and shook her head. mental note - look up later - curious "No. Name is vaguely familiar, but don't know anything...spend most of my time fighting lower criminals. Arms dealers. Organized crime. Freedom League-level threats are....likely to be beyond my experience. Or ability to combat." for now "Curious - why do you ask?"

"Just curious," said Sharl with a little shrug, perhaps a little too artlessly. "I've learned about the Grue and the Lor from Miss Americana," he said, "but there are so many other kinds of aliens out there I'd like to learn about. The universe...the universe is much bigger than we can imagine." He seemed to find that amusing, and had a little smile on his face through the rest of the visit. When he was done, and back near the elevator with Miss Americana, he said, "Thank you all so much for having me here. I've learned a lot about computers and science, and it was a real pleasure to meet all of you. You're my first real people besides Miss Americana!"

Audio playback: "A very powerful alien machine intelligence"; "The Freedom League has fought his robots."

Observation: It sounds as if this machinekind is hostile to organics. Shall add to list of subjects to investigate.

Analysis: Sharl's parting words give opportunity to practice 'joking.'

"I do not believe that is correct," Protectron said flatly. "Latest astrophysical measurings and calculations indicate the universe is a sphere with a radius of approximately 46 billion light years, approximately 13.73 billion years old, and containing an estimated 300 sextillion stars. Number of planets is, however, unknown. As imagination is defined as 'the ability of forming mental images, sensations and concepts, in a moment when they are not perceived through sight, hearing or other senses,' and since much of the findings of astronomy is based on supposition and extrapolation, it could be said that the findings of astronomy are mostly imaginary."

Observation: Wordplay not as well received as anticipated.

Seeking appropriate 'social defusing' response....

"It was a pleasure to meet you as well," it added, extending one hand to the program.

When the parting pleasantries had all been exchanged, Miss A rode back to the roof with Sharl and took his projector again, preparing for takeoff. "Did you enjoy your time at the lab?" she asked him. "It looks like your batteries are running a little bit low, lower than I'd like to see. The zoo and downtown will wait for another day. I, or rather, your other friend, will have to work on extending the battery life in the projector before you go on longer adventures. But this was a good first step."