Earth Victoriana: The Brit Machine (IC) (GM)

GM

Hyde Park: Cannonade

Cannonade stood at the rear of Speaker's Corner, trying not to be noticed as he held the calibrator up. More fire, less facts, he thought to himself. They've got a raw deal, that's sure... but I need to see what going on in the factories to see how I need to talk to 'em. Figure out what the bosses are doing from the floor, see what these machines are.

As the Calibrator spun and whistled, the speaker continued "And why do you think it is so cold this summer? I shall tell you, noble and gentlefolk. The machines are using up all the heat! whats we to do about it? Smash the machines!"

This drew some applause, and a few shouts of "You tell 'em Cap'n Nedd!"

The speaker, Captain Nedd, seemed to notice Cannonade at the back of the crowd. Sharp eyesight. "Ho there, young fellow! come to help out! what's that you have in your hands?"

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

Tower of London: Grimalkin

"I am fae, true enough. I'm called Grimalkin, the Mistress of Mystery. Who are you, who sings of distant Avalon?"

The bearded and bedraggled fellow peered out of the barred window, as the copper tube started to pipe and rotate.

"My name is Blake, Mr. William Blake. Some called me mad, and locked me up in this tower for two centuries or so. Two centuries of torturous dreams and visions, calling of angels and beasts, and visitations of things both foul and fair!" he was half ranting, half reciting. He was neither poet nor madman, but a little of both - and wonderful besides.

Peeking into his cell, there were sculptures, paintings, and realms of scrawled notes. Books lay open all around the floor and on bookshelves, and half eaten food was scattered everywhere. Wine was in abundance, as were wine stains. Imprisoned he may be, but he did not seem to want for anything.

With a half jig and pirhoutte Blake started laughing "mad mad mad pixie of m'stry! magic and fey! fey and magic!" and as he did so, several of his paintings started to animate and play out scenes of light, fire, and intoxication.

Calming down a little, he continued "can I paint you?"

Looking at her own wool coat then too the furs she glanced over at the cold. As tempting is it was, furs would probably draw attention to herself. Even in this cold it was still a symbol of status and wealth that instantly drew the eye. Still it was freaking freezing. Glancing at it again she ventured a feel. She could probably just give it to Ms. Wells when she was done since there was no way she could bring it back to Freedom if only for the fact that half her friends would kill her for owning a fur coat(and she heavily doubted that it was faux).

Glancing at it then at the pouch Ms. Wells had given to her nearly jumped as another cold wind made made her teeth chatter,

"I guess I could try one on, which is the cheapest?"

GM

Camden Market: Carrie

Glancing at it then at the pouch Ms. Wells had given to her nearly jumped as another cold wind made made her teeth chatter,

"I guess I could try one on, which is the cheapest?"

The saleslady frowned slightly at Carrie's statement of frugality but nevertheless showed her the collection of wares. The cheapest fur coat was rather ragged and of poor workmanship, but was still wonderfully warm. Of course, there were lots of other clothes of rather bohemian nature inside, including fine wool cardigans and the like.

"For you my love, just a pony"

Meanwhile, the ragged urchin was stealthily creeping towards a pair of fine fur hats whilst the saleslady was engrossed in her pitch...

GM

Greenwich Observatory: Edge

"Cabbsy" gave an interesting chat about all and sundry on the ride up Blackheath and into Greenwich park. Apparently he had six kids, two ex wives, and times were hard. He had several serious diseases, his mother was dying, and dear old Mrs. Muggins across the road was about to be kicked out by her landlord. All very tragic.

"Anyway guv'nr. He were are, at the royal observatory. Most impressive it is. Fine view of the city. Anything I can do for you, you just let me know. At your service, for a fine gent such as your self. Shall I keep the meter running?" he asked, pointing at the steadily turning mechanical readout indicating the fare.

It was gently snowing at the observatory, but still there were a fair number of rich folk, usually well educated types, wandering around the grounds, some with families, some in couples or alone. And the view was quite impressive.

A four piece string quarter, dressed in black tie and looking blue from the cold, were playing admirably well despite the terrible frost and snow.

GM

The speaker, Captain Nedd, seemed to notice Cannonade at the back of the crowd. Sharp eyesight. "Ho there, young fellow! come to help out! what's that you have in your hands?"

Aw, crap.

Cannonade deftly attempted to slip the calibrator into his pockets.... and felt it slide right out of his hands and onto the ground. There's no way in Hell this is gonna go good, he thought, unless...

He picked it up. "It's a calibrator," he said, "meant to trace the chill problem that's gripping London. It's a tool -- plain and simple. Probably a lot different from the machines you men are dealing with. But a tool depends on the hands wielding it. Ask yourself, who's wielding the tool that's putting you out of work?"

GM

Cannonade deftly attempted to slip the calibrator into his pockets.... and felt it slide right out of his hands and onto the ground. There's no way in Hell this is gonna go good, he thought, unless...

He picked it up. "It's a calibrator," he said, "meant to trace the chill problem that's gripping London. It's a tool -- plain and simple. Probably a lot different from the machines you men are dealing with. But a tool depends on the hands wielding it. Ask yourself, who's wielding the tool that's putting you out of work?"

The timing could not have been worse. Just as Ludd pointed at Cannonade, the crowd went silent, and almost in slow motion, in fine detail, the copper tube slipped from his hands and landed on the pavement with a deafening clunk. It spun and whistled like never before as if announcing to the world "LOOK AT ME, I'M A MACHINE AND PROUD OF IT!". Cannonade could have sworn that the sun dimmed and a spotlight shone on the offending article...

Cannoande's verbal backpeddling was an impressive display of cool after such drama. Indeed, without it, he would probably be facing a mob. As it was, the crowd, remained silent looking at him with shock and disbelief.

Nedd strode through the crowd, accompanied by an impressively large, seven foot man dressed in workers overalls that identified him as a railway worker.

"So, we have a machinist here do we. Well, let me introduce me to my friend Thomas. He used to work with machines, till they spat him out. Now, he's not so keen on them. Thomas the tank, we call him. What do you think of that there machine, Tom?"

Tom's grin turned slowly from an upturn to a downturn. He lifted a boot ready to crush the spinning and whistling device...

Only half listening to the woman she started to look at the coats more closely. Several of them were in fact very fine furs that would sell for several hundred dollars back home. However the pricing was off,

Too good to be bootlegs, stolen? Probably.

She greatly suppressed the urge to call this woman out on moving stolen goods. It was wrong, but these were nessicities in such cold weather. "I'll take a one of the cardigans you've got hidden back there, as well as some gloves and a scarf if you have em."

GM

Camden Market: Silhouette

"I'll take a one of the cardigans you've got hidden back there, as well as some gloves and a scarf if you have em."

"Certainly my dear" replied the saleslady, all smiles, but not completely hiding her irritation at not selling the high end stuff. Nevertheless, the wool cardigan was of superb quality, handmade, luxurious and rustic at the same time - as was the scarf. And some beautiful fur lined Russian gloves were equally cosy. Ms. Wells cash easily covered the cost; quite a bargain - and not the kind of stuff churned out of factories on earth prime.

Mark did as promised, giving the cabby what he was confident was a generous tip in pure gold, before he headed out to gather up the snow. "Leave the meter running!" he called, heedless of money in this place where he could pay his bills with the snap of a finger. "I'll just be a few minutes!" And with that he set to work gathering up snow, mindful of its falling patterns as he wended his way through the observatory grounds. To passersby, he offered the simple explanation "It's for a scientific experiment upon which the fate of the entire world might stand!"

Tower of London: Grimalkin

Grim had heard of William Blake, but didn't know too much about him; she was pretty sure he'd written that 'Tyger Tyger Burning Bright', and Ralph Fiennes went crazy and ate one of his paintings in Red Dragon (aweomse flick but creepy as hell!), but that was about it. She felt sorry for him, locked away in his madman's studio...

"mad mad mad pixie of m'stry! magic and fey! fey and magic!"

However, it was super-freaky to see his paintings join him when he danced! Wait, didn't he just say he was two hundred years old? Was Blake fae-touched in this world, a wizard or what? Could he help them, or was he part of the problem.

"can I paint you?"

Aww! The way he said it really touched her heartstrings, even though he also kind of freaked her out; however, time was of the essence!

"Tell you what, Mr Blake. I don't have much time, but if you want to sketch me, like in charcoal or pastels, I will model for you, but first you need to tell me what you know about the crazy weather this summer. I'm trying to help Ms Wells and my friends fix things!"

She zipped between the bars (yikes!), then landed on the floor in the farthest corner and resumed her normal size, adopting sort of Victorian version of her regular outfit, with fancier stitching and more of a Mardi Gras look to her mask.

"Which size do you prefer, jumbo or tiny? Well, as jumbo as I'm gonna get anytime soon, anyways..." ;)

GM

The Tower of London: Grim and Blake

"Tiny is magnificent. Like the ghost of a flea!" wailed Blake, and proceeded to set about, at astounding speed, painting Grim. It wasn't entirely painting in the conventional sense. It was almost as if the paint flung itself to the canvas at the call of his strange mind.

"Cold it is indeed. Purity for the head but hard on the heart. From whence it comes I know not. "

"But not of this world, and not of this universe, I can tell you!"

And with that he set about furiously painting and mumbling some inaudible latin prose.

Within minutes, he produced what could only be called a masterpiece in the normal Blake style, honed by 200 years of experience. Beaming with happiness, he presented it to Grim "a present from Blake!" he exclaimed.

Not too seconds after handing the woman the money Carrie caught the figure of the a kid making off with two hats.

Great,

She grabbed the coat and slipped it over her shoulders and put on the gloves as she quickened her pace to match those of the kid. More speed walking then anything she had a clear shot down the place since any and all people out were huddled to the side near the buildings or venders rather then near the center. With the advantage of her longer stride she eventually overtook the kid and passed him though she didn't act as if she was doing anything other then hurrying somewhere on her own. However, she did suddenly slow and placed her foot out ever so slightly as the kid made an effort to pass her.

GM

The urchin, who Carrie realised was actually a girl of about ten or eleven years old, went tumbling to the floor, one hat flying through the air.

"Owwww!" she yelled, and looked around with scared rabbit eyes, gripping on to the other hat.

"Don't tell no-one, missy! I'm so cold and hungry! I gots no family!" she wailed, starting to silently sob.

If there was any pity in her mind it didn't show on her face which held her usual half hearted scowl.

"So do a lot of people, doesn't change the fact that you're stealing."

Picking up the other hat, she kneeled down in front of the girl and looked her in the eye,

"You're going right to that stall and you're going to put the hats back."

Reaching out her hand to the girl, her face kept the scowl and her voice rung in a somewhat sardonic monotone,

"Then we're going to get you a proper jacket and some freaking gloves because hands and feet are always the first things to get lost to frost bite."

GM

The girl was still scared, but perhaps more scared of Carrie. She looked at her long and hard "are you going to get me warm clothes?" she asked, wiping away a tear. "My names Emily. I'm really cold. Thankyou, missy. "

She took Carrie's hand and walked with her back to the market stall, where a rather angry saleslady was waiting, giving the urchin a blazing look.

"Madam, I am so grateful for you apprehending this young thief. I shall call a copper at once to have this young lady taken to a workhouse. How can I repay you?"

"I wouldn't bring law enforcement into this if I were you, after all I might start asking rather inconvinent questions about the origin of some of the fine merchandise you have here. Now as for repayment a small coat and some gloves will do, cheapest you have if you like, doesn't matter long as they're plenty warm."

As opposed to talking to the girl she said all this with a bright smile big enough to show the white of her teeth. Her tone while pleasant had a slight edge much worse then the monotone that hinted that she was fully prepare to make good on her questioning if the police were to get involved.

GM

Greenwich Observatory: Edge

"It's for a scientific experiment upon which the fate of the entire world might stand!"

"Jolly good show"

"Bravo!"

"You boffins will sort it out, I'm sure!"

It wasn't long before Edge, combing the hill (with a particularly spiffy copper tube!) was the centre of much applause and encouragement, with various landed gentry and amateur scientists and astrologers come to offer their support and advice.

The four piece band soon joined the fray and started up a up-beat and slightly altered tune of "the Star Spangled Banner" with lyrics praising the glorious colonies of his mad'jsty in the new world. The lead, a handsome bass player with slightly scruffy hair who introduced himself as Paul came up to Edge and, in his Liverpool accent, mentioned "'evenin 'sir... always happy to play for you scientist types. I hear you are very generous and wealthy man, no doubt made your money in oil 'sir. We would be happy to play for you 'sir. Times are hard 'sir. At your service 'sir." and with a nod, the band redoubled their energy, volume, and - it seemed - tempo...

With a whistle and whir of cogs, the copper tube indicated its readings had been completed.

Cannonade sighed. This is only gonna get worse, isn't it? Moving quickly, he gave the man a solid uppercut before he could step on the calibrator.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" he yelled, stopping to pick up the calibrator and slip it back in your pocket. "Is this how you're gonna do it -- just smash blindly at every machine so you feel better and the bosses feel pissed? No matter who wields it, or why? Look, I know you're angry -- and I've been there, seen good friends tossed out on the street 'cause the guys in charge decided on 'efficiency.' But your fight's with them, not with their tools. And not every machine is one of their tools. You can organize, and you can fight for the right to employment, fight for the right not to be tossed on the street because of the latest scheme by the bosses. Or you just strike out -- but I can tell ya right now, that won't fix anything for you, or the workers who come after you. It'll just make you feel good... and make the bosses feel like they made the right choice."

It was around that time, however, that Cannonade actually looked down at the ground to see the man he'd just felled -- the man who had steam coming out of his ears, quite literally, and disjointed cogs. "Huh," he said. "That's... a hell of a thing right there."

GM

The crowds were gawping at the felled man.

"Thomas the tank...is an engine!!!" gasped one of them, reflecting the general sentiment.

Combined with Cannonades impassioned speech, the crowd were now thoroughly disorientated - and Nedd Ludd had all but lost them. He was giving Cannonade the evil eye, but mingling angry people blocked his path. Some of the crowd had been significantly swayed by Cannonades logic, a few called out "well said, man!" and asked for his name.

The slippery copper tube started whistling and spinning, indicating its data collection was complete, as the crowd started arguing amongst itself. The throng started to become passionate, with heaves and pushes, and it wasn't long before Thomas was the centre of a group of men tugging his body this way and that.

"I'll get you for this, young man!" yelled Ludd, above the Hubris. "ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE! TRAITOR TO THE COMMON MAN! ELITIST SCUM!!!"

GM

"I wouldn't bring law enforcement into this if I were you, after all I might start asking rather inconvinent questions about the origin of some of the fine merchandise you have here. Now as for repayment a small coat and some gloves will do, cheapest you have if you like, doesn't matter long as they're plenty warm."

"Hmph" said the saleslady. She looked Carrie in the eye hard, but she knew the game was up. She looked down at Emily, not totally unkindly, and brought out some obviously cheap but warm wear for her. "And what are we going to do with this little madam? she is only going to steal again, once she gets the chance! how far does your charity extend?"

This time Carrie's face wasn't smiling, her eyes were narrowed at the woman as she handed the girl the coat,

"Madam, look around you. The streets are covered in ice and the winds numb the mind and soul and it is only midday. What would happen if night fell and this child didn't have a jacket? Can you say you would honestly let a child freeze if you could readily prevent it?"

Letting out a sigh she let her face soften and her voice resume it's usual tone,

"I know that times are hard, and that you are not running a charity here, but you greatly underestimate what even a little kindness can do."

Kneeling down she placed a hand on Emily's head and said,

"Is it true, that you don't actually have a family to go home too?"

GM

"Is it true, that you don't actually have a family to go home too?"

Emily looked up to Carrie gratefully "Yes ma'am" she said, half sadly, but genuinely happy at her warm clothing that, despite not fitting her perfectly, wrapped her up completely and shielded her from the cold.

"Me mam, she was on the gin, went away with some French sailor last month. She was on the gin bad they said, but she was still me mam. I ran away, didn't want to go to the workhouse. I sold some family stuff, and bin livin smart on the street. But oim hungry and cold now miss, ever since the snow this summer. Thankyou ever so kindly for the clothes miss, they is awful warm."

Standing up she took off her cap and pointed it over at the booth owner,

"You don't have me to thank love, you have the madam here whom you so thoughtlessly stole from. You should really apologize to her. "

Slipping the hat back onto her hand, she started to reach into her purse and search through it's contents,

"Your mum was awfully irresponsible just leaving you like that so its not really your fault your on the streets. But when you steal stuff your hurting other people just as badly as your mum hurt you when she left. You don't want to be like her, do you?"

GM

Emily looked down to her worn shoes, and shuffled her feet. "No ma'am, I don't". Sheepishly she looked up to the storeslady, "Sorry lady. I didn't mean to steal from you. I means, I did, but I only didso 'cos I was cold I couldn't do anything else. " Once again, she was crying slightly, and held on to Carries jacket as she did so, hiding behind it slightly.