Fresh Plots (IC)

"What's a psychopomp?" Fleur asked curiously, even as she walked along the rows of graves. Weeds that had sprung up wilted and melted away, while flowers bloomed and spread wherever she walked. "I've never heard that term before. Is it just someone who can talk to ghosts, or is there more to it than that?"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So what do you do with poltergeists and such? Do you have to send them to the other side, or what?" KC said, his eyes full of interest. "...Are you a Ghostbuster, Nick? KC suddenly changed moods as he began singing the theme aloud. "Who you gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!"

KC coughed. "Sorry. So are you a psychopomp of some sort?"

"Well, first off to answer the question from you and Fleur," Nick said, "I'm not technically a psychopomp. A psychopomp's the term for a mystical entity that leads a person onto their final judgment -- be it to the scales of Ma'at or the rings of Purgatory. I just... help send people along their way." He cracked a grin. "Besides, I've run into a few true psychopomps, and let me tell you, they've got some vicious union reps."

"As for the poltergeist situation... well, if I can't get through to them, then yes, I do sometimes have to resort to an exorcism. It's just... well, it's sometimes easier to get a ghost to let go than try to break its chains. But then again, there are some nasty sons-of-dogs who stick around on this mortal coil, and some of them aren't exactly willing to let go. It's not like I have the thing on speed dial, though -- most exorcisms require time and effort to pull off right. Last thing you want is a ghost going truly unfettered without getting the attention of something to lead it on."

He paused, then turned to Kid Cthulhu. "But hey, enough about me," Nick said. "How're you handling your line of work? I'll admit I haven't seen much representation of... them... around."

He paused, then turned to Kid Cthulhu. "But hey, enough about me," Nick said. "How're you handling your line of work? I'll admit I haven't seen much representation of... them... around."

KC scratched his head. "Well, you know how people say don't go messing with mysterious books of mystic power? Yeah..."

He looked up, and continued his explanation. "I was given a copy of this old book as an inheritance, and when I tried out a mystic ritual, well, bad things happened. I don't know who or what came in my room, but whatever they did, they left a mark on me. The good news is that I can change back to human anytime I want, but I have to keep the squid form on in order to use my magic. But I try to defend Freedom City the best I can. Regardless of how many stares I get.

"That's pretty lucky," Fleur said, sprucing up the trees around the edge of the cemetery. "Mystic rituals can be very bad news for anyone who doesn't know what they're doing. I have a friend who studies those things, and she's told some pretty horrific stories about what can happen to people who do those rituals unawares. It's great that you're using your new powers to help the city. How long have you been doing hero work?"

"Yeah. Fleur's got the right of it," Nick said. "Magic can be especially tricky. Especially in cases where you're trying to compel stuff from entities -- you put on a poor show, and well, they're not gonna be happy. I'm just surprised things worked out okay for you. I mean, for the stories I've heard about those guys, things can get... weird." Nick then looked over the high school kid with skin an unearthly shade of green and tentacles where most men would have beards and said, "Well, uncomfortably weird, is what I mean."

[...."Well, uncomfortably weird, is what I mean."

At the necromancer's words, there was a flash of pure white light and trumpeting of the divine as the angel of Freedom appeared in a glow of Heavenly power. "Wretched sinners, the- Oh, it's you, Fleur." Freedom Angel landed on the ground near the small group of heroes, nodding a cordial hello to Kid Cthulu and Fleur de Joie, who he already knew. He gave the other man a close look, but sensing no taint of the infernal on him, he said, "Good evening. My apologies for the rude arrival, but we've had some trouble with vandalism this week." He shook his head sorrowfully, then added, "Why are you all here?"

Nick had prepared for this. He knew Freedom Angel made this cemetery his stomping grounds. He's done research on the guy. But still, that made no difference when an emissary of the divine appears before you in a flash of light.

You've heard Nidhogg gnaw at the roots of Yggdrasil. Baron LaCroix has offered you fashion tips. You ran ahead of the Wild Hunt in Mag Mell. Charon himself told you not to drink the tap water. You've seen a lot of things on the other side, this is not any different...

Nick tried to tell himself this. But it didn't help that the part of him, the little kid who got great marks in Sunday School, is screaming with joy and fear, that he was standing before a freaking angel.

So he told the kid to sit in the corner for a while, and stuck forward his hand, as confident as he could be. "Name's Nick Cimitiere," he says. "May I just say it's a pleasure to meet you..."

Emissary of the Host? Gloried of the Seraphim?

"...sir."

Fleur looked up in surprise at the announcement from above, then laughed delightedly when she saw who it was. "Hello, Freedom Angel," she said, setting aside her work for the moment to come over to him. "That was very impressive! If I were a teenage vandal, I'd probably be breaking land-speed records. But you know how Lantern Hill can be. One superhero goes somewhere and everyone else stops to see what he's doing."

"No kidding...it's a regular party up here. How've you been, Freedom Angel?" Although ghosts were a new sight to KC, he knew the angel from a previous meeting. He no longer feared that he would be smitten, despite his less than savory origins.

He smiled at Nick's reaction. "Nick, you look a little pale."

"It's a pleasure to see you again," said Freedom Angel, opting not to use anyone's real name since they were all there in costume. Another hero of his glowing nature might have been ill at ease in a cemetery at night, but the angel looked like he belonged there; indeed, that he belonged everywhere. "All of you. It is reassuring to know how well-guarded this realm is, even in my absence." He studied the necromancer closely, the angel's eyes not probing so much as easily gazing approvingly into the man's soul. "Please, call me Freedom Angel. Or Heyzel, if you'd prefer to use my given name. I deserve no titles. As for you, I shall give you the one you deserve, Mssr. Cimitire. What brings you to my neighborhood?"

He smiled at Nick's reaction. "Nick, you look a little pale."

"It's the makeup," said Nick. "It fools everyone."

Nick turned to the angel. "As for what I'm doing in Lantern Hill," he said, "I'm somewhat new in town -- I mean, I've been in Freedom before, but never active in Freedom before. Understand? So, I'm trying to get the town under my feet -- get the feel for the territory, meet some of the local ghosts, maybe run into some of the heroes as well." He looked right into the eyes of Freedom Angel. "I've gotta say, Heyzel, meeting you in person is one interesting experience. I mean, I was kind of expecting to run into you at some point, but... yeah."

"Freedom Angel keeps a good eye on Lantern Hill," Fleur said affectionately. "If you run into trouble, he's a good guy to call on in a pinch. We're on the League together," she explained, "and he's a good person to have at your back. Nick speaks to ghosts," she told Heyzel, "and helps them move on past the things that are holding them down from their mortal lives. Sort of like what Dead Head does, but not exactly the same. Hes' a good guy." There was no real way Stesha could be sure of this after such a short meeting, but she sounded perfectly confident nonetheless.

"Freedom Angel keeps a good eye on Lantern Hill," Fleur said affectionately. "If you run into trouble, he's a good guy to call on in a pinch. We're on the League together," she explained, "and he's a good person to have at your back. Nick speaks to ghosts," she told Heyzel, "and helps them move on past the things that are holding them down from their mortal lives. Sort of like what Dead Head does, but not exactly the same. Hes' a good guy." There was no real way Stesha could be sure of this after such a short meeting, but she sounded perfectly confident nonetheless.

"Yeah, Nick's alright. So don't smite him or anything." KC said with a big grin. "It really is strange how many of us are meeting up here. So Nick, did you apprentice under Eldritch? I've always wanted to meet the guy, maybe have him show me a few new magic tricks. My source of power isn't exactly...kosher among magicians. Should I contact him on the astral plane, or does he have a Twitter page?"

KC stopped for a moment, and contemplated one of Earth's most powerful mages having a Twitter. He made a mental note to look for it later.

"I'm familiar with Dead Head," said the angel, not sounding terribly thrilled at the notion of the walking abomination. "As for your work, it's a noble task. Many a soul has passed through the Pearly Gates after the aid of another to leave the last remnants of their mortal life. And as for you," he said, gesturing to Kid Cthulu, "be mindful that men may not see that your heart and soul are pure where your body isn't." He smiled. "In other words, let him know I sent you. It'll clear up any lingering issues about the source of your power. Be mindful that, as long as it doesn't come from the Adversary, what matters is your soul, not the trappings outside."

"Yeah, Nick's alright. So don't smite him or anything." KC said with a big grin. "It really is strange how many of us are meeting up here. So Nick, did you apprentice under Eldritch? I've always wanted to meet the guy, maybe have him show me a few new magic tricks. My source of power isn't exactly...kosher among magicians. Should I contact him on the astral plane, or does he have a Twitter page?"

KC stopped for a moment, and contemplated one of Earth's most powerful mages having a Twitter. He made a mental note to look for it later.

"I'm pretty sure he's on Facebook," Nick cracked. "As for the whole... Old Ones... thing, I'm sure he'd accept it. He helped me out with the whole necromancy thing, and I know the image folks have of that. Thin men in black robes and too much eyeshadow, sacrificing kittens and raising zombies for the next Romero flick, live and in 3D. If he gave me a hand, I'm sure he'd be willing to give you one."

"I'm familiar with Dead Head," said the angel, not sounding terribly thrilled at the notion of the walking abomination. "As for your work, it's a noble task. Many a soul has passed through the Pearly Gates after the aid of another to leave the last remnants of their mortal life. And as for you," he said, gesturing to Kid Cthulu, "be mindful that men may not see that your heart and soul are pure where your body isn't." He smiled. "In other words, let him know I sent you. It'll clear up any lingering issues about the source of your power. Be mindful that, as long as it doesn't come from the Adversary, what matters is your soul, not the trappings outside."

Nick exhaled briefly. Well, I guess if I had any existential hang-ups left about this, that'd take care of 'em

"Thanks, Heyzel. I'm glad to hear it. Hope you don't mind if I ask about trade stuff, but... you ever run into Azrael?"

"My work's about finished here," Fleur said with a smile, "so I'll bow out now and let you all talk shop. Dark Star's waiting for me at home. Here..." She reached into yet another pouch and withdrew a card with her code name and a phone number on it and handed it to Nick. "Here's my number, in case you ever need a hand with anything. We all need to help each other out in Freedom City. It was nice meeting both of you."

"Yeah, it's getting pretty late. I really ought to be heading back now, I've got classes in the morning. Maybe I'll see you around, Nick. Tell Eldritch hey for me." KC knelt down, extending his reptilian wings, and took off. He flew towards the big city, and the sound of his wings grew more and more distant as the mystic hero left the scene. KC looked back and smiled. Freedom City had some odd folk.

As Kid Cthulhu flew off, another weird figure approached. This one was known to both Nick and Fleur, the former by reputation, the latter by shared work experiences.

Thought Squid-Face'd never leave. Man, that guy gives me the willies. Wish I knew why! 'Course, th'Angel's still there... eh, one thing at a time.

"Hey Fleur!," Dead Head's gravelly yet cheerful voice called out. He shambled into view, waving, wearing old sneakers, worn dark slacks, and red cardigan zipper sweater with what looked like a light blue shirt underneath. In place of a tie, he wore a small length of rope knotted into a noose. In short, he looked like a demented version of a kid's show host.

He gave a curt nod to Freedom Angel, then turned to Nick and thrust out one hand. "Hey there!," he greeted, flashing as warm a rictus grin as he could, "Fleur an' the Angel ain't runnin' from or beatin' on ya, so I guess that means yer an okay guy."

"That I am!," the zombie drawled cheerily, "an' based on yer name, an' what I saw 'tween you an' Anastacia, I can guess what kinda 'work' you do. Always good ta have another guide on hand!"

And at that, his hand snapped off in Nick's. He did not seem to notice.

"Seems we got more'n our callin's in common, though -- is that a bit of a Southern drawl I hear in yer voice? 'Cuz if so, thank the lawd!," he cackled. "I been up ta mah neck in Yankees!"

"Well," Nick said, "I got my start in Savannah -- and you know how the South is. It gets into you, and it goes everywhere. It's been my beat for years, but... well, I've come back to Freedom." He shakes his head. "But, yeah. You can leave the South, but it sure ain't gonna leave you."

"This is my place," the angel assured the necromancer. "You have my backing." Freedom Angel didn't like dealing with Dead Head, but he also knew the zombie had a good soul: indeed, had a soul at all. That unsettled him, but rather than try and make the undead uncomfortable, he flew to a nearby mausoleum, studying the weeping cherub there with a pensive expression. "Too many children are in Heaven already."

"Yeah, I know," Nick said. "Dealing with the child ghosts is the hardest. Most of the time it's just accidents, and they seem okay -- even if they've already realized they're dead, some of them try to treat death like the next great adventure. No rules, no grown-ups, no bedtime -- even if you miss your mom and dad, you're still one of the Lost Boys."

Nick shook his head. "But then you get the ones who didn't go simply, or by accident." Fury licked out beneath the grim tone of his voice. That seemed to say everything.

"Oh, man, yer preachin' to tha choir!," the zombie replied to Nick. Hearing it speak was somewhat odd, since undead 'together' enough to think and talk usually looked fairly preserved, not like this rotting-and-regenerating thing. He then turned to Freedom Angel, opened his mouth as if to say something, then shut it and turned back to Nick.

"So, been at this long? Born with a caul over yer head, seen ghosts since ya was little? Or'ja have a near-death experience an' gain tha second sight after ya came back?"