[Interceptors] Zombie Powder is a Helluva Drug [IC]

"Ech Eh-hack- huufh" Colt coughed through the smoke. "I got possible enemy contacts! Rooftop across the street." Colt pressed his eye to the scope of his rifle. "Hold yer position. This'n's mine!"

Colt considered himself lucky he'd had the foresight to load his gun with rubber bullets. He didn't want to risk casualties from mere misunderstandings, after all. The shots he'd be firing wouldn't kill anyone, but they would sure pack a punch.

Colt quickly stowed the rifle on his back. Charging through the cloud of smoke, he dove off the roof. In the middle of a front flip, Colt drew the large pistol from it's holster against his leg. He quickly took aim and fired a shot as he fell. It was a pot shot, but if the bullet went where he aimed it, his quarry's lower back would feel like it just got hit by a truck. Fractions of a second later, his feet touched down on the sidewalk and he tucked into a ball and rolled, planning to quickly give chase.

"Reckon y'all outta stop right there if'n y'all know what's good fer' ya."

Don't run. Please don't run. Colt thought to himself. He wouldn't have time to both chase the fleeing smoke bomber and cover his comrades in the apartment across the street.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colt's aim is true as ever, but the mystery man is no slouch himself -- a combination of armored clothing and keen reflexes protect him form most of the damage, and the shot only wings him in the shoulder. But that's enough for the neural overloaders to work their magic, and he falls, paralyzed.

And then Colt was momentarily blinded, as a series of firebombs ignited under the apartment across the street, the apartment that held their next lead, the apartment where Grim and Jack were. Flames and smoke were quickly rising, and it would not be long before the entire building was engulfed.

Grim and Jack both felt the explosions beneath them, and could immediately smell an acrid tang in the air.

Hey, a fan! Nice, Jack mused as the enthusiastic girl gushed. Gotta get some of that 'he who singlehandedly' stuff on my business cards. With a deep bow that was equal parts modest and melodramatic, he tapped the side of his head wryly. ""

The swordsman was cut short by the sudden explosions, reflexively trying to push the heat away with his minor talent for energy manipulation. The force of the flames crashed back upon his will like a sledgehammer, nearly knocking him off his feet. "...well, nertz," he muttered under his breath before turning back to the startled young woman. ", guapa," he told her, firing his grapple at the ground a good distance away and tying the cord to the balcony's railing, creating a zip line to safety. ""

"

Grim was about to provide the addresses of the last two locations they saw devastated by attacks when Colt started chattering excitedly over his comlink.

Trying to keep up the act proved to be rather difficult for the changeling when she didn't know what sort of threat her beloved teammate was dealing with outside. She started sneaking glances towards the window as she inched in that general direction.

""

Suddenly it felt like the whole building lifted a few inches in the air as she felt the shock of the blasts travel up her legs.

Oh God, Colt! :o

ChicaGrim rushed to the window, but the glare of the flames made it hard for her to see clearly in the dark; there was however no doubt that the building was ablaze and they were all in jeopardy.

"No no no no no...!"

She turned and pointed at the back door as she bellowed in her most commanding Spanish.

""

Then she headed for the back stairs herself to make sure the path was clear

Colt tucked and rolled as he hit the ground, coming to his feet just as building across the street exploded in a fiery torrent.

"No..." Colt's voice nearly caught in his throat.

He allowed himself only a moment's hesitation, staring into the flames. Still in a crouch, he spoke directly into the radio transmitter that kept him in communication with his team. "Grim! Jack! Report!"

Colt spared a sideways glance at the paralyzed form of the person he was pursuing. Then he scrambled to his feet and rushed straight towards the fire.

As he sprinted across the street, he holstered Jericho, and un-slung Marlin from his back. As soon as he was in position in front of the building, he fished a small blue cartridge out of his coat pocket, and loaded it into the chamber of the rifle. Colt flicked the lever forward, and backward; then pulled the trigger.

The temperature around the base of the building dropped significantly. A massive cone of cold air rushed into and around the base of the structure, but left it undamaged. With any luck, the special ammunition would spell the end of the fire.

Despite Jack's and Colt's best efforts, the flames raged on. Though they were still confined to the basement, it would not be long until they leaped up to the first floor, though before that happened the thick smoke and fumes from who-knows-what was burning down there could incapacitate the people above. And if there's a boiler or gas main down there, well, that'd just turn the entire place into a neighborhood-shaking bomb! And to top it off, the damage it was doing to the structure could weaken floorboards and cause parts to collapse at any moment. Burning, suffocation, or falling -- lots of nasty ways for someone to meet their end in here.

Oh, and being trampled to death by the panicking mob.

Jack barley noticed the thin trickle of blood from his nose. The fire was bigger than anything he'd tied channeling before, and it reacted almost as if it carried some of the blind hate of the one who set it.

"" The young girl was panicked, but waffled between running downstairs (which were quickly filling with dark gray smoke) and trying her luck with Jack's zip-line. She opted for the latter, clumsily making her way down, and getting lots of grass stains on her clothes.

Jack hear a soft rumble above him.

Chica!Grim had to wade through the crowd of partiers to get to the window to see Colt, so when she told them to evacuate she did not have to worry about being between the mob and the exits. Most went out the back door -- and did so with surprising efficinecy, as if the place had been evacuated more than once before -- down the open stairs she'd come up, but a few made for the inner door, the one leading to the interior stairs... where Jack was.

Colt saw Marlin's blast had a tiny effect, but the fire quickly raged to recover what ground it had lost. If he could get in a better position, maybe he would have a better chance at snuffing the flames.

"" Jack shouted to the panicking crowd, leaping up onto the balcony railing to address them, the flickering light of the fire below illuminating the edges of his greatcoat. "" His usually melodic voice carried a note of firm confidence, carrying easily over the din about him. Scanning the crowd, he looked for anyone incapable of making it down the line on their own.

"Jack! I shure's hell hope yer gettin' them folks out safe!" No sooner had the words started to leave his mouth when the first of the building's residents began swinging to safety on Jack's zipline.

"Talk t'me, Grim! Where are ya!" Colt opened the chamber on his rifle and expelled the special cold blast cartridge that had failed to work. He dug in one of the many large pockets of his coat and fished out another. placing the round in the chamber, he strayed closer to the fire. "If'n I c'n just git this here fire under control..." Colt fired another round of his special ammunition into the blaze. This time, the blast worked like a charm. The strange ammunition succeeded in dousing a large area of flames in front of him. "Aw'right!" Colt cheered.

When she saw a gaggle of folks heading for the inside stairs, Chica!Grim angrily stomped her foot.

""

Using all of her adrenalized strength, she yanked open the window, slamming the sash so hard some of the glass panes cracked. The changeling stuck her hand out the window and conjured up an evacuation slide like she’d seen on TV and in movies. Looking over her shoulder, the faux Latina yelled at the crowd.

""

"Talk t'me, Grim! Where are ya!"

Reaching up to her earpiece, Grim at first forgot to change languages as she shouted over the mayhem.

""

She cleared her throat and continued; the voice didn’t sound like Grim, but her distinctive inflections and cadences were very much in evidence.

"Okay, I’m back and I’m using English! Can you see my slide? I’m trying to avoid a stampede on the stairs!"

"Good, baby!" Colt replied over the radio, "Keep them folks safe. An' yerself too! I'll work'n get'n this here fire under control." With the fire partially extinguished from his earlier shot, Colt decided that he could spare a few seconds to secure the man that he'd knocked out earlier. After offering his assurances, Colt turned and ran to the man on the sidewalk that he had shot. He placed a pair of handcuffs on the man, and a nearby lamp post.

"Jack, Grim!" Colt called through the radio again, "Y'all got eyes'n th'street? Should be'a man passed out'n the sidwalkl 'cross'a street. Reckon I got'em good when'e tried'ta make'a break fer't. Keep'em in yer sights if'n ya c'n." Colt charged back towards the burning building and the fire.

Colt's second blast did succeed in smothering some of the flame, but he could see it still raged in places.

Grim's directions get people away from the interior door and either to her evac slide or to the stairs out back, but a few had already gone down those interior stairs. It would be a few more seconds before everyone was out.

Jack of all Blades was busy getting folks out (all of whom, mercifully, were able-bodied adults or teens, all reasonably willing to listen to his orders), when a guy and two girls raced down from the apartment above, panicking and shoving their way through. Jack could also hear Grim's voice coming from the apartment above.

Colt turned to the man he'd paralyzed and saw... that he was still there. And still quite limp when he handcuffed him to the lamp post.

• 2 weeks later...

Jack of all Blades nimbly dodges out of the way of the panicked trio of partygoers, and he and Grimalkin manage to get everyone out; the worse damages are minor smoke inhalation. Colt fires two more cryoshells at the blaze, and it is extinguished, though bits still smolder here and there. Significant damage had been done to the basement, though, and possibly to the foundation and supports, so these unfortunate people may have to find temporary lodgings elsewhere.

Going back to check the handcuffed sniper/bomber, Colt found... empty handcuffs chained around the post.

"Well I'll be'a ..." Colt breathed a heavy sigh upon seeing the empty handcuffs, "Damn!" He swore, kicking at a nearby piece of smoldering wreckage. He stooped to retrieve the handcuffs from the pole.

"Jack, Grim," he spoke into the communicator, "I reckon we got'a problem. Our number one suspect jus' ran'a way. Meet up't th'MAVERIC. We'll see if'n we can't track'em down. Th'thorities'll be here soon. I'm hopin' they c'n get this lot under control. We need'ta get to th'bottom'a this."

On her way down her own safety slide, Grim resumes her normal form, trailing vaporous glamour as she goes; on ce she got to the bottom, she dismissed it with a wave of her hand.

"Jack, Grim," he spoke into the communicator, "I reckon we got'a problem. Our number one suspect jus' ran'a way. Meet up't th'MAVERIC. We'll see if'n we can't track'em down. Th'thorities'll be here soon. I'm hopin' they c'n get this lot under control. We need'ta get to th'bottom'a this."

Grim looked around sharply as she activated her comlink. "Okay, well I should be able to track him; show me where to start and I'll start with the sniffing." She stopped in her tracks and winced. "That just sounds so wrong, doesn't it?"

Shaking her head, the changeling quickly headed for the MAVERIC.

Jack collected his grapple and swung himself over the railing, dropping nimbly to the street below. "Well, that went sideways in a truly embarrassing way," he fumed over the comlink in his greatcoat's collar as he closed the distance to the MAVERIC. "Guy set fires in my neighbourhood, Colt; I want his butt in a sling yesterday." Evidently ignoring any unfortunate wording on Grim's part, he swung into his seat and closed his eyes, trying to feel for anything useful against the background of prickly heat from the fire's diminishing energy signature.

Grim gets a few good snoot fulls, and is fairly certain she's got the man Colt had cuffed. He smelled of cigarettes and cheap coffee, gun oil and gunmetal, salt and silver and water... and cold iron. He was a monster hunter, a well-equipped one at that. A vehicle of some sort had stopped here recently -- one loaded with more monster hunter gear -- another (who smelled of) got out, then both got in and sped off, south.

Jack reached out with his senses, and picked up something of interest: a faint trace of magic at the lamp post the perp had been cuffed to, as from an inactive magic item that had been near it for a few moments. The trace was already faded by the time he focused in on it, but he did 'see' it enough to determine it was not at all like the magics he'd sensed at the other sites.

"South?" Colt confirmed, "Got't. Mount up, Interceptors." Colt called as he hoisted himself into the MAVERIC. He fired up the engine, and the big vehicle roared to life. The sound of the engine was enough to get the attention of the surrounding citizens, and enough to get them to warily back away.

"I reckon we're real sorry we can't stay'n chat, gang." Colt announced over the vehicle's loudspeaker. "But y'all c'n rest'a sured't 'mergency services's on'er way. In fact, I reckon that'd be them flashin' lights down the road'a ways. Now y'all're more'n likely wonderin' who it was't gon'n done this here crime and burn all'a yer homes. Well, the reason we ain't stayin's cuz we aim't find out." Colt hung up the handset with a vindictive "click".

"Mount up, Interceptors!" Colt called to his teammates, "I reckon we got ourselves'a few cattle't poke." When the team was loaded up on the truck, he asked, "I sure hope you two c'n track'em while'm drivin'. 'Cuz I don't know 'bout you lot, but I ain't plannin' on slowin' down 'til we catch them rottin' flea bitt'n bastards what done this." Colt floored the throttle, and cranked the wheel. For a full second, maybe two, the engine overpowered the truck. It spun the wheels so quickly, the succeeded in going nowhere. But then the wheels started to grip the road, and as they peeled out, the back end of the truck swung around into position, and the MAVERIC began to roar away towards the southern part of the city.

"I sure hope you two c'n track'em while'm drivin'. 'Cuz I don't know 'bout you lot, but I ain't plannin' on slowin' down 'til we catch them rottin' flea bitt'n bastards what done this."

In order to stay on the scent, Grim had her head stuck out the window like a dog; if the situation wasn't so dire, it would be comical. She practically had to shout to be heard over the ice-cold wind rushing into the MAVERIC.

"This bad boy is packin' cold iron, which means he knows enough about magic to hurt someone like me, plus all the standard vampire and demon hunter crap, and he has an accomplice! So if he is our perp, what's his motive? Why would a monster hunter want to make more zombies? Or is there someone else involved that we don't know about?"

Colt knew that Cold Iron was one of the few things that seriously endangered Grim. Crap. Colt's eyes were locked on the road, but he turned his head slightly towards Grim, using his peripherals to watch the road. "Grim, we cain't have ya gettin' hit by that stuff. If'n he don't know yer actually wit'us, it'd be better if'n we keep't that way." Colt jerked a thumb towards the swordsman sitting behind them. "Jack'n I'll distract'em. That'll give ya'a chance't hide. If'n y'all c'n attack'em from the shadows, it'll be'a bigger help considerin' we won't have't worry 'bout you gettin' seriously injured. Special bullets don't hurt'us no more'n regular ones do, after all." Colt turned his full attention back onto the road. At Grim's further direction he took a sharp turn. "Hold on'ta yer hats!" The MAVERIC squealed left around the corner, rising onto only the three wheels on it's right side due to the momentum. The interceptors were cooking. They were in their element now.

"Pfft, yeah, it's not like they can shoot us extra dead," Jack agreed, his tone bone dry with gallows humour. Cracking his knuckles absently, he continued, "Don't think this guy is our zombie maker. Whole other kinda juju he's using than the Powder. Feeling more and more like we're coming in late to this party." There seemed to be a lot going on that they weren't aware of, and the deeper they dug the bigger the conflict seemed to become. After seeing the civilians of his neighbourhood caught in the crossfire, however, the swashbuckler was inclined to take everybody involved down hard and sort it out after the fact.

It was not long before the team caught up with the van, a beat-up and nondescript number they'd easily miss if not for Grim's heightened sense of smell. It sped through red lights, down side roads, and tried shaking the heroes off, but Colt stuck on him.

Suddenly, the back doors of the van flew open, and a man in a camo-patterned flak suit and big game hunter-style ammunition vest -- the very man Colt had seen and shot -- was there, connected by a harness to the sides of the van so he'd be steady enough to get off a shot with the large sniper rifle he had out! Before the heroes could react, he got off a shot... right at Grimalkin's head! And as the bullet sped towards her, she could feel the gut-wrenching sensation of cold iron coming at her at 2300 feet per second!

The grim pleasure on the shooter's face quickly faded as the person driving the van, perhaps distracted by the gunfire, swerved and rammed into a corner cafe!

BOOM!

Jack and Colt were horrified to see their teammate's head snap violently back as she slid back into her seat, blood oozing from her throat. Grim feebly reached up to clutch the side of her neck as her life seeped through her fingers.

"Aaaah, God! What.....?"

She slumped forward and hung in her safety harness, her knuckles white as her breathing became ragged.

"GRIM!" Colt screamed, as the bullet tore through the pixie in the passenger seat.

The next few seconds were a chaotic mix of shattered glass and squealing tires. Colt threw his arm across the gap between the seats, desperately reaching out to her. But at the speeds they were traveling, one hand was not enough to control a multi-ton assault vehicle. As the MAVERIC began to swerve like the van in front of it, Colt retracted his hand to the steering wheel once more. He couldn't risk the rest of their lives with his driving as well. Both hands on the wheel, gazing straight ahead, his face was a mixture of grim determination and helplessness. With split second timing, a massive effort of willpower, and some miraculous maneuvering, Colt managed to get the massive vehicle back under control.

They swerved, and barely missed crashing straight into the van in front of them.

Another swerve brought them to a screeching halt on the side of the street opposite the van they had been perusing just as the engine stalled from the extreme strain it had been placed under. There was little damage to their surroundings save for a few trash cans knocked over. A testament to Colt's incredible command of motor vehicles.

"Grim!" Colt yelled again, finally able to go to her aid. He punched a button on the console with his right hand even as he tore at his harness with his left. The glove box dropped open and Colt seized the first aid kit within before he even knew what he was doing. Tearing at it with both hands he removed a wad of gauze from the wrappings. He applied the gauze to Grim's neck and began wrapping it. He could see she was barely conscious, but he spoke to her anyway, "Yer gonna be OK. I reckon the bullet passed right through." he soothed. He placed Grim's own hand on the bandage to steady the rushed job.

Colt jabbed at the console once more with blood soaked hands. The distress beacon activated instantly. It would advertise their location to any nearby emergency personnel. He only had to hope that they weren't all being used for the fire at the apartment building.

Finally, Colt had time to look out his drivers window across the street towards the wreckage of the van they had been chasing, "Bastards," he cursed. Colt kicked the door open and hopped down from the MAVERIC.

As he gazed across the street, his eyes filled with unbridled hatred and rage.

"GRIM!"

She heard her lover's voice, muffled by the warm crimson fog that filled her head. She felt the movement of the MAVERIC in her gut as Colt frantically manouvered the great beast down the icy streets in pursuit of their prey.

"Grim!"

There was frantic movement all around her, tuggings and jerkings and the harsh screech of a bandage torn out of its packaging. She felt the warm breath of her lover on her face, so close and yet out of reach, and drifting farther away every second.

"Yer gonna be OK. I reckon the bullet passed right through."

His hand on her hand for a brief moment, slick with her blood.

I'm dying. I'm dying now.

"Bastards,"

And it was that one word, barely at the edge of her conciousness, that pulled her back. Her lover had Death in his voice, and he was about to kill for her.

No. Not even for me, Colt.

Grimalkin forced her eyes open, and slammed back into a world full of pain and confusion. Her red sticky hands fumbled at her quick-release belt buckle; weakened by bloodloss, it seemed almost an impossible task. The door of the MAVERIC was a bit easier, equipped with a large slappable red button designed to allow quick escape in case of fire or total submersion. The shapeshifter stumbled out into the street, feeling like a drunk on stilts as she careened this way and that.

“Colt… Colt…â€

Her voice was a wet whisper, her lips sticky with salt. And then her eyes found her would-be killer sprawled in the back of his, and she remembered a name.

Witchfinder.

It was a struggle to keep her eyes open, but she had to see his face; see his bigoted hated-filled eyes go wide as her hand once more found her wound, and a heat like a hot poker shot through her neck, searing it closed as the warmth spread through her whole body.

Huh. I didn’t know I could do that.

Then she spat blood onto the damp street and smiled a mad, ruddy grin.

“You failed. Magic wins again.†:twisted:

When Colt's feet hit the pavement, he stood solid as a rock before the MAVERIC. A stare as cold as the grave emanated from beneath his hat and pierced the distance between the two vehicles. Witchfinder - Jeremie Blaine. Psychotic supernatural hunter of good guys AND bad. Traumatic past. Magic nullification gauntlets. One hell of a shot.

Briefly, Colt considered what would happen if he were to simply draw his sidearm and shoot the man dead right there and then. Then something happened to pull him back from the edge. There was a rushing sound, followed by a slam as the door to the MAVERIC shot open, and out tumbled Grim.

“Colt… Colt…â€

Her voice was a wet whisper, her lips sticky with salt.

Colt drew his pistol and took aim.

It was a struggle to keep her eyes open, but she had to see his face; see his bigoted hated-filled eyes go wide as her hand once more found her wound, and a heat like a hot poker shot through her neck, searing it closed as the warmth spread through her whole body.

Then she spat blood onto the damp street and smiled a mad, ruddy grin.

“You failed. Magic wins again.†:twisted:

Colt breathed out a heavy sigh. With it, he expelled a world of sadness and pain. He breathed out his troubles and fears. He let go of the hatred that had been about to snap him like a twig in a hurricane only seconds earlier.

Colt glanced down at Grim only briefly, she could see all of the doubt in his eyes melting away under the sweet relief of having her alive. Then she saw him set his jaw and turn back to face the man across the street. There would be time for tears later.

"JEREMIE BLAINE!" Colt called across the street, lowing the pistol only slightly. "Word on'a street is't y'all cain't stand them what's got'a few powers. Lot'a people're sayin' y'd die, jus't see'em suffer. Well, that don't comfort me none, so I reckon y'all better come wit' me. Dead or Alive them wanted posters say. A sec'n go I got ta thinkin' it wouldn't make no difference t'me on'a count'a that shot ya done pulled off." Colt jerked his head toward Grim to indicate the victim. "Which means't ma notion is't in this here particular case, y'all should be happy she lived. Cuz now y'all're gonna come wit' me..." Colt aimed his pistol once more, "But y'all git't keep breathin'." he fired two shots.