And Blackjack [IC]

alderwitch

Date: October XX, 2009

Despite her newly expanded closet, it was a little difficult to find something that was both acceptable for the parents as well as something she wanted to wear for the evening after with Jack. Although she had managed to dodge her parents while dealing with the imp problem, there was no way Taylor could wiggle free of seeing them for her twenty-first birthday. Nor had she really wanted to as she was very close to the large clan.

Taylor slipped out of the car on one sandled heel and smoothed her skirt down. In the end, she'd gone for a fun but definately flirty skirt and a fastened jacket over the shimmery top below. She was pretty certain that the jacket made it parent-appropriate. She was more certain that it showed off her tanned and toned legs. Priorities.

"They know we're doing a special dinner-thing, so it should be a food light party," Taylor flashed a smile up at Jack, her hands tucked behind her back as she waited for him to come around the car. "I'm not sure how many are here, though. It could be anything from just my parents to the entire clan."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack came around the car and slipped his arm around her waist, beaming down at her with a warm look in his eyes. "I'm sure we'll all have a fine time together." He kept his arm around her as they went, warm against the cold nights from things he had a feeling Taylor wouldn't want to know about. He'd wanted to make sure he was perfect for her and her family, after all. "Happy birthday again, by the way," he added with a smile. "I'm just glad they've never asked me how old I am."

"They're too enraptured with you to ask," Taylor said teasingly as she opened the door to the Chun's house only to be greeted by her closest brother - Jackson - standing there to greet them with, "Surprise!"

As Taylor stayed solid under his arm, it clearly wasn't that much of a surprise. She stepped forward to give Jackson an entirely limp wristed thump to the arm. Her brother ignored it and hugged her until she squeaked and squirmed free.

As Taylor straighted her skirt and jacket with a harrassed expression, Jackson turned his attention to Jack with a wide grin and an outstretched hand, "Hey, man, how you doing?"

"I'm doing just fine," said Jack with a big grin, shaking Jackson's hand firmly. "How's every little thing, man?" He clapped Taylor's brother on the arm, carefully stepping inside the house where he felt oddly like a giant amidst all these short people. Despite everything, he was really very happy among this bustling family. He gave a cheerful wave to Taylor's family as he stepped inside. "Hey folks!"

A chorus of greetings answered back as they both stopped to pull off their shoes and stick them in the cubby holes just inside the entry. Once they were deeper in the house, Taylor was swept up in a mixture of hugs and gentle scolding for being so busy lately. Out of deference to Jack, the conversation was mostly in English but the Chuns still had a tendancy to throw off the odd phrase here or there in Cantonese. Although Taylor recieved the brunt of the attention, being both the the family daughter as well as birthday girl, Jack was included in the noisy activity.

Jackson was nudged aside by his own mother who gave Jack a quick hug. It was from her mother that Taylor had inherited the dimples, although that and the height was the only similarity between mother and daughter. Mrs. Chun had tightly curled brown hair and bright blue eyes that smiled up at him. She didn't even come to Jack's shoulder as she pulled back to look at him and asked, "Did you lose weight? You kids, you work too hard. Come on in."

Not for the first time when dealing with Taylor's mother, the face of Jack's own long-dead mother flashed before his eyes. "I've been a little under the weather lately," he 'admitted', "but I'm doing much better today." He grinned. "Saving space for the feast I've been promised later." For all that he could have been an awkward giant among these people, Jack blended in with the perfect smoothness Taylor had seen from him almost everywhere. With the easy way he shook hands and exchanged greetings, he might almost have been part of the family.

"You're so pale, you might anemic. Supplements." She opinioned at him, giving him a final pat on the arm as she shooed him into the living room.

"Mom, quit poking. Not everyone is so enamored of vitamins," Taylor slipped back through the cluster of family to Jack's side once more as they entered the living room. Like most of the house, it had that comfortable lived in feeling to it. This was the living room that Taylor and her older siblings had all piled onto the couch to watch movies together, according to Taylor's stories at least. As they were close in age together, Taylor's oldest brother was only seven years older than she was, so the Chun household had always been a noisy one. That really hadn't changed, actually, despite the fact that all the children were adults.

"Everyone should be. I fed all you kids vitamins before it was ever 'the thing' and do any of you get sick? No! Not as often as the Marks kids were sick. One of them always out with the flu or some nasty bug but you were always healthy."

Jackson, standing near them lowered his voice and added in a tone designed not to reach his mother, "Of course, with doctors for parents we never got to fake being sick, either."

"Try it with accountants for parents," murmured Jack with a small smile even as he felt that usual inner twist. "Of course, then it was not being able to get out of math homework..." He laughed a little bit, circulating through the family before coming back to Taylor. "Everybody looks really happy for you," he murmured to her, happiness and awe in his quiet voice. "Are all your family events like this?"

Taylor tilted her face up to him, looking both young and happy. For once, she'd let herself relax and enjoy the time with her family. With everything that had gone on lately, it was a treat to be able to relax for once. She slipped an arm around his waist and gave a little shrug of her shoulders. "More or less. Although, the focus of the attention changes depending on the event. Wait until you see the wedding. That's got all the extended family coming over too. Dad and Mom have a handful of siblings each and they've all got kids. Not to mention the extended, extended family that's travelling out from all over China."

She paused to add, "I warned them that you had a work engagement you couldn't get out of for the ceremony but you're invited to the reception, of course."

Jack winced, almost imperceptibly. "It would be better if I skipped it," he admitted, not wanting to get into the fine details of his condition with his lover. "But I could make the reception, depending." He slipped an arm around her, too, the comfortable warmth of her body enough to get him to relax again. "So how far extended? Am I finally going to meet your famous uncle?"

"Uncle Huang will be there for certain. He's my father's uncle, technically, but we've always just called him uncle. He looks nothing like the cartoon." Taylor said with a fond laugh before she obligingly filled him in on the details of her extended family, which was apparently quite large and far flung. She had to take her hand from his waist eventually to tick them off on her fingers by the time Jackson was sent over to interrupt.

"Our fascinating family tree aside, birthday girl, you want to open some presents before you put your boyfriend into a coma?"

Taylor made a face at her older brother although she slanted a glance up at Jack to make sure he wasn't unconcious even as she let herself be pushed over to the couch with some good natured jostling by her siblings. Present-opening was another obvious family tradition. Jackson claimed his usual position as present maestro and handed them over with great fanfare and a good deal of ribbing from the rest of the family. By the time the presents were all open, Taylor had amassed quite a little stack of schlocky movies as well as a book or two.

Jack presented his own present last, a carefully-wrapped big box. "My big present to you comes later," he said, relaxed enough that he left himself open for the chuckles that remark earned from Jackson and some of Taylor's more playful relatives. The new DVD player inside was a prosaic enough present, but obviously top of the line; Jack had evidently done some shopping. "For all our late night movie pleasure," he said with a grin.

Taylor leaned over it to give him a quick kiss, ignoring the teasing catcall from Jackson. From the faint thumping, it sounded like her sister had taken over the responsibity of thumping Jackson on the shoulder to shut him up. "Thank you."

Blushing slightly, as she wasn't the most publically demonstrative of people, Taylor turned to thank her family as well before saying, "Speaking of which, we should probably go if we're not going to be late."

"I suppose we should, at that," agreed Jack, rising to his feet. He wound up getting a lot of hugs and handshakes as he went, the genuine emotion in the room sharp enough that for a moment or two he almost didn't want to leave. "Nice seeing everyone again!" he called as they left. "I'll visit again sometime!" When they were outside, he murmured to Taylor, "Thanks for inviting me to that."

"It was nice wasn't it?" Taylor said as they walked down the drive. Once they were out of sight of the house, she slipped the birthday gifts into the void to free up both of their hands. "My family is very fond of you. Of course, so am I."

The dimple flashed in her cheek teasingly as they reached the car.

"That's because you have excellent taste in men," replied Jack, something of a shameless flirt given their usual romantic practices. When they were back in the car together, he leaned close and kissed her warmly, his arm around her shoulder. "I think you'll like the party," he promised her. "Everyone who should be there will be there." Even the ones I want to punch in the face.

"Can't wait," Taylor agreed as she pulled back from him, her smile flashing. "Honestly, it'll be fun no matter who all can show up. We all tend to get suddenly busy with little warning. Although, if we end up running into a mugger or two it'll be a bad night for them, won't it?"

She sat back in her seat, fastening her belt for the short drive. It didn't take long to manuever the car from her parents house to the small bar that the super heroes were descending on tonight. Hopefully, with everyone in the civvies. Even that might prove a little problematic as a few of the guests were more than a little well known in Freedom City, but the bar was thankfully - and most likely deliberately - mostly empty except for their party. As far as places went, it was a nice place but out of the way enough that it was never all that popular. In addition to the traditional bar and ubiquitous pool table or two, there were several tables and in one corner a karaoke set taking up the far wall.

Stesha, ever prompt, was already sitting at the bar, drinking something tall and frozen and shockingly pink, with what looked to be about three spears of fruit garnishing it. It wasn't the sort of drink that exactly fit the mood of the venue, but she seemed quite pleased with it. As soon as Taylor and Jack walked in, she hopped down from her stool and made her way over. Skirting well clear of Jack, who she didn't even favor with a glance, she gave Taylor a hug. "Happy birthday!" she said enthusiastically. "I'm so glad we were able to come and celebrate with you. And you don't look a day older, either," she added teasingly. "Let me buy you the first drink. The bartender here does a wonderful berry daiquiri, if you beg enough."

Taylor returned the hug, laughing at Stesha's joke. She paused to shrug out of her jacket and drape it over the back of one chair before she dutifully headed over to the bar. Taylor didn't have to worry about the alchohol affecting her anymore than any other poison.

"Just don't get me anything that tastes nasty." Taylor pleaded, "I've heard that alchohol tastes bad enough as is."

Derrick walked into the bar, straightening his tie and jacket, a little late unsurprisingly. He walked over to his friends. "Good evening everyone. Happy Birthday Taylor! Congratulation," he said to the birthday girl first, as it was her event, before turning to Stesha for a kiss. "Hello to you as well." He ordered a glass of water from the bartender, looking around before noticing Jack. "Nice to see you Jack. How's it going?" He shifted slightly to address everyone. "Sorry for being late. I got hung up with...stuff."

Given Taylors propensity for apeing normalcy Ace arrived incogneto, No need to drag the assorted paparazzi down on all their heads. Choosing an alter ego that was both recognizable to his friends yet wouldn't give them all away was tricky to say the least. The answer serendipitously came to him as he passed a costume store in the form of the 'Urban Avenger' costume hanging in the window.

And so he arrived at the bar shortly after Derrick, revving the powerfull engine of his Harley, Ace never spared an expense when it came to a convincing disguise. He strolled smoothly through the door dressed the part. Black fatigues calf length combat boots and a heavy leather jacket over a black turtle neck. His features slightly altered to closely resemble Jacks own.

He pulled his gloves from his hands suffing them in a pocket as he crossed the room waving to Jack, "Hey little bro, thanks for the invite." He said with a mischevious grin, "And this must be the lovely birthday girl." He added as he snaked an arm around Taylors waist and laid a small kiss on her cheek. "Vince Farretti," he said in a low rumble, "Jack won't stop talking about you and now I see why." He said as he took a step back to take an appraising look at Taylor before calling for a scotch on the rocks. He pealed a hundred dollar bill from his billfold and added "And keep em coming form my brother and his friends." he said with a wink to the bartender.

Jack sighed. Geez, Ace. Bride at every wedding, corpse at every funeral. The mental images summoned by that line of thought gave him a perfectly legitimate smile, though, and so he cheerfully clapped Ace on the back and boomed, "Bro! Good to see you!" He threw his arm around Ace's shoulder and lifted him off the floor with the sheer force of his hug. "Man, we've gotta get you doing reps again. I think you know everybody. Hey Derrick, hey Stesha." He turned back to Taylor, still smiling. "See, I knew my brother would come through in the end."

Taylor blinked once as she was dragged in for a snuggle and a kiss on the cheek by some handsome stranger. As she knew perfectly well that Jack didn't have a brother, she narrowed her eyes at Ace.

"Very subtle," she informed him in a tart undertone. She returned Derrick's greeting with a smile as well and used Jack's bearhug of his 'brother' to catch up to Stesha at the bar. "Well, it wouldn't be a party without 'Vince'. Who else is going to be the first one up on stage?"

"Who's Vince?" Stesha asked blankly. She'd already ordered the second daiquiri, which was currently being blended by the affable-looking bartender. "I didn't even know Jack had a brother." The bartender came over and put the drink in front of Taylor. "It's her birthday," Stesha confided to him. "The big two-one." Obligingly, the bartender performed the ritual ID check, just to make it all official and legal. "I got you a present," Stesha told Taylor, "but I'll give it to you when you're ready to go home, so you don't have to lug it around."

Derrick paused as Vince arrived. He didn't know his friend exceptionally well, but Derrick wasn't aware that Jack had a brother. It took quite a bit of thinking and a furrowed brow before Derrick realized who 'Vince' was. Though Jack seemed to be playing along with the disguise. They were both much better at the social uptake than he was. He nodded to Ace however in greeting, even if he didn't understand the need for such a excessive and detailed disguise.

He paused and looked back at Taylor curiously as he registered some of the words. "Up on stage? For what?"