The Break-In (OOC)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Initiative count 18, The Scarab takes 3 Free Actions. She re-activates her Flight and Force Field, and switches her array over to her Mental Stun. Then takes a Full Action to use Stun against Sister Sixtus. Perception-Range, so no attack roll. Sister Sixtus has to make a DC20 Will Save.

20+: No effect.

16-19: Dazed. Gets a new save every round to recover, with a cumulative +1 bonus.

11-15: Stunned. Gets a new save every round to recover, with a cumulative +1 bonus.

10 or less: Unconscious. Gets a DC10 Constitution check every minute to recover, with a cumulative +1 bonus.

Just so's we're all on the same page here:

Name - Initiative - Health - Hero Points - Location

Avenger - 19 - Undamaged - 2 HP* - Outside w/ Cultists & Belphegor

Dark Star - 19 - Undamaged - 3 HP* - Inside w/ Sister Sixtus

Scarab - 18 - Undamaged - 2 HP - Inside w/ Sister Sixtus

Sister Sixtus - 15 - Undamaged - NPC Villain - Inside w/ Dark Star & Scarab

Belphegor - 10 - Fatigued** - 1 HP* - Outside w/ Cultists & Avenger

* Avenger, Dark Star and Scarab got an extra HP because the GM let Belphegor overhear Scarab's mental postcognition findings.

** -2 penalty to effective Str and Dex, -1 penalty on Attack and Defense

Oh, my -- Belphegor crit'ed Avenger. :shock:

Avenger needs to make a DC 29 Toughness save. And if he's stunned (or worse) by it, he's knocked back (14-5=9) 500 feet! :shock:

(And in regards to Triple Murder in Riverside, where Avenger & Scarab are/were working, I'm just going to assume neither of them ever saw Belphegor in his demonic form, and he never saw either of them in their costumed forms. Which should be easy enough for me to finagle. ;) )

H'okay,

Belphegor hits Avenger. Avenger is blasted through the window and makes his Toughness save for the knockback damage. Avenger is, however, bruised and stunned. Avenger spends his two extra hero points on not being incinerated by a terrible Toughness roll and on shaking off his stun)

The Jumped-Up Dabbler automatically passes Dark Star's attack, given her Impervious Toughness of 18. She actually failed her first Will save vs. Scarab by rolling awfully, so I spent one of her Luck points for a reroll. She then tried to hit Avenger with the staff and missed, then spent her second Luck point to surge for another attack.

This attack is Strike 12 (Burst Area, Fort Save) "Greater Name of Death." I need a DC 22 Reflex save from Scarab and Dark Star for half-effect, and then a Fort save for either DC 27 (if you fail the reflex save) or DC 13 (if you pass the reflex save.)

Also, I need a Notice check at this juncture from Scarab and Dark Star.

Belphegor hits Avenger. Avenger is blasted through the window and makes his Toughness save for the knockback damage. Avenger is, however, bruised and stunned. Avenger spends his two extra hero points on not being incinerated by a terrible Toughness roll and on shaking off his stun)

Eh?

The stun from a damaging attack isn't shaken off by Will, it's just shaken off by not failing the Toughness save by 5 or more. But it only lasts for one round -- until just before the attacker's turn in the initiative order on the following round -- it's not a lasting thing like the Stun power.

This attack is Strike 12 (Burst Area, Fort Save) "Greater Name of Death." I need a DC 22 Reflex save from Scarab and Dark Star for half-effect, and then a Fort save for either DC 27 (if you fail the reflex save) or DC 13 (if you pass the reflex save.)

Not quite. For Area attacks, a successful Reflex save doesn't reduce the entire DC by half, just the DC modifier, i.e., the power's rank. So if they fail the DC 22 Ref save, it's then a DC 27 Fort save, but if the make the Ref save, it's a DC 21 Fort save (15 + 1/2 the Strike's rank).

(Not that it matters in Dark Star's case since he failed the save....)

Don't think my roll helped though! :)For save take 2 (used hero point as I rolled a _1_ the first time) (1d20+4=8). Assuming a 1 would be a terminal failure

Take heart! Using an HP to re-roll something means you add 10 to the roll if the result of the die roll is less than 10 (so spending an HP to re-roll means you cannot get a die result less than 11). So your actual total for the Fort save is 18, not 8!

Notice Check: 32. It's what I do.

Reflex Save: 11. Not even close.

Fortitude Save: 7. So very not good. That would render me unconscious or dying, depending on whether this is lethal or not. I'll burn a Hero Point to re-roll: 18. Much better. I believe I'm Bruised (Injured?) and Stunned for 1 round, and just narrowly avoided being Staggered (Disabled?).

(And in regards to Triple Murder in Riverside, where Avenger & Scarab are/were working, I'm just going to assume neither of them ever saw Belphegor in his demonic form, and he never saw either of them in their costumed forms. Which should be easy enough for me to finagle. ;) )

Maybe we never saw him in this demonic form. I mean, we'll feel pretty cheated if we don't get to fight a demon at some point in that adventure.

Eh?

The stun from a damaging attack isn't shaken off by Will, it's just shaken off by not failing the Toughness save by 5 or more. But it only lasts for one round -- until just before the attacker's turn in the initiative order on the following round -- it's not a lasting thing like the Stun power.

I'm aware of the rules you cited; Avenger spent his HP so he could act before Belphegor's action on the next turn. I don't think Will saves came up in the previous conversation.

Not quite. For Area attacks, a successful Reflex save doesn't reduce the entire DC by half, just the DC modifier, i.e., the power's rank. So if they fail the DC 22 Ref save, it's then a DC 27 Fort save, but if the make the Ref save, it's a DC 21 Fort save (15 + 1/2 the Strike's rank).

(Not that it matters in Dark Star's case since he failed the save....)

I thought that seemed awfully favorable vis a vis the rules. OK, that's a DC 22 Ref save followed by DC 27 or DC 21. But it looks like that iddn't do much for either of them.

Take heart! Using an HP to re-roll something means you add 10 to the roll if the result of the die roll is less than 10 (so spending an HP to re-roll means you cannot get a die result less than 11). So your actual total for the Fort save is 18, not 8!

Yay Dark Star!

I'm aware of the rules you cited; Avenger spent his HP so he could act before Belphegor's action on the next turn. I don't think Will saves came up in the previous conversation.

Wasn't one of the rolls you made a Will save? I thought you were using that to shake off the stun.

Must've been mis-reading. Carry on!

OK, our current stats are

Name - Initiative - Health - Hero Points - Location

Avenger - 19 - Injured - 1 HP - Grappling with Sister Sixtus

Dark Star - 19 - Injured and Stunned - 1 HP* - Inside w/ Sister Sixtus

Scarab - 18 - Injured and Stunned - 2 HP - Inside w/ Sister Sixtus

Sister Sixtus - 15 - Undamaged - NPC Villain - Inside w/ Heroes

Belphegor - 10 - Fatigued** - 1 HP* - Outside w/ Cultists

I think I should have 2 HP left right? Start with my 2 plus got one from you. (keep in mind I'm on 2 hours sleep here so...)

Not sure what stunned means. If I need to spend the HP to do my action, then I will. If not, will save it...

Stunned (from damage) means you lose any Dodge bonus to Defense (i.e., you're flat-footed), you take an additional -2 to Defense, and cannot take any actions other than reactions. It lasts until just before the attacker's turn in the initiative order on the following round.

Which effectively means you do nothing this round but look at the stars circling around your head. ;)

Concentration checks to maintain Sustained effects while Stunned:

Flight: DC13. She got 18.

Force Field: DC22. She got 23.

The Scarab will burn her last Hero Point to shake off her Stunned condition so she can act normally. Then, while DarkStar uses his gravity control powers to bring down the house, The Scarab will try to shield her comrades. She'll Delay her action until DarkStar collapses the roof, she'll take a Move Action to fly over to Avenger, and a Standard Action to use Extra Effort to power stunt the following effect off of her "Vast Psionic Powers" Array:

Create Object 10 (Telekinetic Force Construct, Feats: Selective, Extras: Impervious, Movable)

31PP

A Created Object can support weight as if it had Strength equal to [Power Rank x 5], or STR 50 in this case. Combined with Impervious Toughness 10, this should protect them from the collapsed roof.

She'll shape the area in such a way as to provide the minimum possible cover for herself and Avenger, without shielding Sister Sixtus.

This will Fatigue her. She has no Hero Points left, so she has no choice but to suck it up.

ouch, that's rough! Guess I just drool then. ;) I'll go edit the post in a bit and delete out his action.

Or you'll just burn a Hero Point from your pile to shake off the Stunned condition and bring down the roof like Avenger told you to so we can salvage some kind of victory here. :D Just a suggestion.