The Midnight Society

Thevshi

Adam Kirk

adam.jpg

Adam answers without losing a beat, "Money." He's looking directly at megan as he talks, his facial expression seems to relate the saying, 'it's such a shame'. "Money is nothing more than humanity's way of diving people into classes. Little bits of paper, or worse, electronic numbers that have no actual basis in reality that give people an inherant value. The whole system is..." he trails off, his breath escaping in a frustrated sigh, but he never stops dancing, "I realise what it must sound like for me, standing here, to be saying this, but it's the way I feel." His eyes, which were previously employed dancing around in their sockets, complimenting Adam's speech where they could, suddenly become very focused, "But don't worry, it won't always be like this." With that, the beat of the music rises a little in tempo, and Adam stays with it, turning Megan around as they're drawn deeper into the sea of waltzing bodies.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Kirk

adam.jpg

Adam answers without losing a beat, "Money." He's looking directly at megan as he talks, his facial expression seems to relate the saying, 'it's such a shame'. "Money is nothing more than humanity's way of diving people into classes. Little bits of paper, or worse, electronic numbers that have no actual basis in reality that give people an inherant value. The whole system is..." he trails off, his breath escaping in a frustrated sigh, but he never stops dancing, "I realise what it must sound like for me, standing here, to be saying this, but it's the way I feel." His eyes, which were previously employed dancing around in their sockets, complimenting Adam's speech where they could, suddenly become very focused, "But don't worry, it won't always be like this." With that, the beat of the music rises a little in tempo, and Adam stays with it, turning Megan around as they're drawn deeper into the sea of waltzing bodies.

Adam Kirk

adam.jpg

“You really think its just money?†Megan asked as the danced. “I know money does do a lot for those that have a great deal of it, but there are plenty of people with lots of money, ore even more, than most actors, actresses or directors, but who are still not given to the outlandish behavior many of them carryout.â€Â

â€ÂI would think the there is something to be said about the attention they, and professional athletes, get from the media that adds to the feelings of importance and leads them to believe they can behave in ways that we would not accept from most people.â€Â

“You really think its just money?†Megan asked as the danced. “I know money does do a lot for those that have a great deal of it, but there are plenty of people with lots of money, ore even more, than most actors, actresses or directors, but who are still not given to the outlandish behavior many of them carryout.â€Â

â€ÂI would think the there is something to be said about the attention they, and professional athletes, get from the media that adds to the feelings of importance and leads them to believe they can behave in ways that we would not accept from most people.â€Â

Adam Kirk

adam.jpg

His face is still as Adam listens intently to everything Megan says. Once she has finished he nods, turning over what she's just said in his mind, "True enough." He considers for a moment more, "But then again, strange people live everywhere - rich or poor. One of the ladies who worked for my parents used to tell me about a woman she knew as a child. This woman would only allow one of her seven children in each night - the one who had behaved best. If Angelina Jolie did this, the whole world would know about it, and would more than likely be up in arms about it; as it was, this woman came from one of the poorer towns in Ecuador, so it's a truth very few people in the wider world would ever know." The song ends. Adam releases his grip on Megan to applaud quietly with many of the other dancers. Side on to her, Adam turns his head to look at Megan, "Money means power, power means choice. Too much power given to one person is a dangerous thing - too much freedom can be a real problem. I realise that may not be a popular thing to say, especially in this city, but I still think it's valid." He turns fully to Megan, "Take the super-powered community for example. Random twists of fate seem to give some individuals automatic power over others. Many choose to use these powers for their own ends, and even for those that don't, how long do you think it will be before they realise that they aren't bound to the laws the rest of us are? I'm not saying that Captain Thunder is going to make a move for world power, but I'm certain he doesn't pay his taxes like Joe Schmo who has to work a nine-to-fiver every day." Adam speaks with a certainty that comes from well practiced conversation in the area. The music begins again and he raises his arms, physically asking Megan to continue their dance.

Adam Kirk

adam.jpg

His face is still as Adam listens intently to everything Megan says. Once she has finished he nods, turning over what she's just said in his mind, "True enough." He considers for a moment more, "But then again, strange people live everywhere - rich or poor. One of the ladies who worked for my parents used to tell me about a woman she knew as a child. This woman would only allow one of her seven children in each night - the one who had behaved best. If Angelina Jolie did this, the whole world would know about it, and would more than likely be up in arms about it; as it was, this woman came from one of the poorer towns in Ecuador, so it's a truth very few people in the wider world would ever know." The song ends. Adam releases his grip on Megan to applaud quietly with many of the other dancers. Side on to her, Adam turns his head to look at Megan, "Money means power, power means choice. Too much power given to one person is a dangerous thing - too much freedom can be a real problem. I realise that may not be a popular thing to say, especially in this city, but I still think it's valid." He turns fully to Megan, "Take the super-powered community for example. Random twists of fate seem to give some individuals automatic power over others. Many choose to use these powers for their own ends, and even for those that don't, how long do you think it will be before they realise that they aren't bound to the laws the rest of us are? I'm not saying that Captain Thunder is going to make a move for world power, but I'm certain he doesn't pay his taxes like Joe Schmo who has to work a nine-to-fiver every day." Adam speaks with a certainty that comes from well practiced conversation in the area. The music begins again and he raises his arms, physically asking Megan to continue their dance.

Adam Kirk

adam.jpg

His face is still as Adam listens intently to everything Megan says. Once she has finished he nods, turning over what she's just said in his mind, "True enough." He considers for a moment more, "But then again, strange people live everywhere - rich or poor. One of the ladies who worked for my parents used to tell me about a woman she knew as a child. This woman would only allow one of her seven children in each night - the one who had behaved best. If Angelina Jolie did this, the whole world would know about it, and would more than likely be up in arms about it; as it was, this woman came from one of the poorer towns in Ecuador, so it's a truth very few people in the wider world would ever know."

“Well, now your broadening the discussion some.†Megan said with a smile. “For that brings in the differences between two countries. If someone did that here, it is very likely social services would find out eventually and the children would be taken away from the woman. But you are right, there are strange people everywhere, I was just saying that money mixed with fame can lead to people changing how they act and behave.â€Â

"Money means power, power means choice. Too much power given to one person is a dangerous thing - too much freedom can be a real problem. I realise that may not be a popular thing to say, especially in this city, but I still think it's valid." He turns fully to Megan, "Take the super-powered community for example. Random twists of fate seem to give some individuals automatic power over others. Many choose to use these powers for their own ends, and even for those that don't, how long do you think it will be before they realise that they aren't bound to the laws the rest of us are? I'm not saying that Captain Thunder is going to make a move for world power, but I'm certain he doesn't pay his taxes like Joe Schmo who has to work a nine-to-fiver every day."

As the music began once more, Megan showed no signs of slowing down, still dancing as she smiled at Adam’s last comment. “I would hope he does, after all, Al Capone learned to his misfortune that the IRS is not to be trifled with. After all, it is the law that even illegal income is to be reported on your tax form.â€Â

“While it is not quite true for Captain Thunder any longer, don’t forget that the law recognizes the identity someone with superpowers uses as a separate legal entity, sort of like a corporation. That entity can engage in commerce, testify, even be sued. So any superhero that is making money should be reporting it as income and paying taxes on it, just like anyone else.â€Â

His face is still as Adam listens intently to everything Megan says. Once she has finished he nods, turning over what she's just said in his mind, "True enough." He considers for a moment more, "But then again, strange people live everywhere - rich or poor. One of the ladies who worked for my parents used to tell me about a woman she knew as a child. This woman would only allow one of her seven children in each night - the one who had behaved best. If Angelina Jolie did this, the whole world would know about it, and would more than likely be up in arms about it; as it was, this woman came from one of the poorer towns in Ecuador, so it's a truth very few people in the wider world would ever know."

“Well, now your broadening the discussion some.†Megan said with a smile. “For that brings in the differences between two countries. If someone did that here, it is very likely social services would find out eventually and the children would be taken away from the woman. But you are right, there are strange people everywhere, I was just saying that money mixed with fame can lead to people changing how they act and behave.â€Â

"Money means power, power means choice. Too much power given to one person is a dangerous thing - too much freedom can be a real problem. I realise that may not be a popular thing to say, especially in this city, but I still think it's valid." He turns fully to Megan, "Take the super-powered community for example. Random twists of fate seem to give some individuals automatic power over others. Many choose to use these powers for their own ends, and even for those that don't, how long do you think it will be before they realise that they aren't bound to the laws the rest of us are? I'm not saying that Captain Thunder is going to make a move for world power, but I'm certain he doesn't pay his taxes like Joe Schmo who has to work a nine-to-fiver every day."

As the music began once more, Megan showed no signs of slowing down, still dancing as she smiled at Adam’s last comment. “I would hope he does, after all, Al Capone learned to his misfortune that the IRS is not to be trifled with. After all, it is the law that even illegal income is to be reported on your tax form.â€Â

“While it is not quite true for Captain Thunder any longer, don’t forget that the law recognizes the identity someone with superpowers uses as a separate legal entity, sort of like a corporation. That entity can engage in commerce, testify, even be sued. So any superhero that is making money should be reporting it as income and paying taxes on it, just like anyone else.â€Â

Adam Kirk

adam.jpg

Adam smiled broadly - it had been a long time since he could have a conversation like this with anybody. He was normally surrounded by 'yes' men, or 'no' executives, people who were only concerned with how much money they could make, not how much that very thing was ruining their lives. Keeping in time to the music, Adam suddenly goes quiet, his face turns contemplative. "Megan, I'd like to see you again..."

He's interrupted when bumped, rather forcefully, from behind. He lets go of Megan's hand, but keeps his other hand on her back as he turns and looks straight into the face of an older gaunt woman with a stern look on her face...

Anderson.jpg

...Adam speaks. His voice has become overly plesant and false, "Mrs. Anderson, how are you?" He gives a quick look around, "And where's your husband?". Mrs. Anderson speaks coldy, "Never mind that Adam..." She directs her wintery gaze at Megan and smiles icicles, "Good evening madam, I don't believe we've met."

Adam Kirk

adam.jpg

Adam smiled broadly - it had been a long time since he could have a conversation like this with anybody. He was normally surrounded by 'yes' men, or 'no' executives, people who were only concerned with how much money they could make, not how much that very thing was ruining their lives. Keeping in time to the music, Adam suddenly goes quiet, his face turns contemplative. "Megan, I'd like to see you again..."

He's interrupted when bumped, rather forcefully, from behind. He lets go of Megan's hand, but keeps his other hand on her back as he turns and looks straight into the face of an older gaunt woman with a stern look on her face...

Anderson.jpg

...Adam speaks. His voice has become overly plesant and false, "Mrs. Anderson, how are you?" He gives a quick look around, "And where's your husband?". Mrs. Anderson speaks coldy, "Never mind that Adam..." She directs her wintery gaze at Megan and smiles icicles, "Good evening madam, I don't believe we've met."

Adam Kirk

adam.jpg

Anderson.jpg

Megan looked over at the elderly woman that had interrupted her dance with Adam, giving the woman a warm, friendly smile despite her cold gaze and smile. “Megan Howell ma’am.†She replied in a confident and friendly tone.

Megan looked over at the elderly woman that had interrupted her dance with Adam, giving the woman a warm, friendly smile despite her cold gaze and smile. “Megan Howell ma’am.†She replied in a confident and friendly tone.

Anderson.jpg

Mrs. Anderson tilts her head to one side, accessing her memories, "Howell, Howell, Howell..." her eyes don't leave Megan the entire time, "Your father's with Hartford, Grayson & Cole, correct?" She doesn't wait for Megan to respond, turning instead to Adam, "Lawyers, Adam. Money, money, money." She turns back to Megan, "Such a shame, isn't it?" Her voice is cool and her icy smile remains, "Not to cast any aspersions, dear."

adam.jpg

Adam meanwhile shifts half an inch closer to Megan, "Actually, Mrs. Anderson," Adam is still smiling warmly, his hand still on his dance partners back, "Megan has shown herself to be quite cpmpassionate, and I wouldn't expect anything different from her father. In actual fact," he turns to Megan, catching her gaze, "we were just off to meet him, weren't we?" Adam's face seems to continue the statement with a 'right?'

Anderson.jpg

Mrs. Anderson tilts her head to one side, accessing her memories, "Howell, Howell, Howell..." her eyes don't leave Megan the entire time, "Your father's with Hartford, Grayson & Cole, correct?" She doesn't wait for Megan to respond, turning instead to Adam, "Lawyers, Adam. Money, money, money." She turns back to Megan, "Such a shame, isn't it?" Her voice is cool and her icy smile remains, "Not to cast any aspersions, dear."

adam.jpg

Adam meanwhile shifts half an inch closer to Megan, "Actually, Mrs. Anderson," Adam is still smiling warmly, his hand still on his dance partners back, "Megan has shown herself to be quite cpmpassionate, and I wouldn't expect anything different from her father. In actual fact," he turns to Megan, catching her gaze, "we were just off to meet him, weren't we?" Adam's face seems to continue the statement with a 'right?'

Anderson.jpg

adam.jpg

Megan retained her warm smile on her face, though she inwardly wondered how exactly Mrs. Anderson could cast any judgment about any aspirations Megan’s father might have given where they were, as well as Mrs. Anderson’s background and her husband’s business. When Adam asked his question, the young blonde nodded in agreement. “Yes, we just were.â€Â

“Very nice to have met you Mrs. Anderson, my mother always speaks about how much you have done for so many charitable causes. I greatly enjoyed the production of Les Misérables you recently sponsored.â€Â

Megan retained her warm smile on her face, though she inwardly wondered how exactly Mrs. Anderson could cast any judgment about any aspirations Megan’s father might have given where they were, as well as Mrs. Anderson’s background and her husband’s business. When Adam asked his question, the young blonde nodded in agreement. “Yes, we just were.â€Â

“Very nice to have met you Mrs. Anderson, my mother always speaks about how much you have done for so many charitable causes. I greatly enjoyed the production of Les Misérables you recently sponsored.â€Â

adam.jpg

"Good night, Mrs. Anderson." And with that, they're gone. Adam, his hand on Megan's back, tries to gently glide her through the crowd, moving faster than was usual. He doesn't look back - the whole scene has something in it from the Tyranosaurus chasing the jeep in Jurassic Park. Eventually they came to a stop just around the corner of the main hall where their footsteps echoed in the vacant space around them and up the empty staircase before them. They could see quite well here as, though there were no lights, the room stole much of the escaping light of the ballroom. Adam looks pack around the corner to the party, and then turns to Megan, he leans his back against the wall. "Thanks for that back there," he smiles, and narrows his view, "You were marvellous. Is your mother really charitable?"