Silberman's Books. Wednesday, March 27th, 2019. 12:35 pm

It started out as a bit of joke, really, until the idea began to take hold in Lynn Epstein's brain. Then the more she thought about it, the better and better it sounded. Surely there were lots of people in 'the biz' who could this kind of service. And it wasn't like they needed the money; heck, they could do it for free! No need to discriminate against struggling, up-and-coming heroes; it could really give them a leg up! So she sent a message to the one person she knew who currently fit the bill in Freedom. And who knows, maybe they could eventually add more?

The changeling waited in her office, sipping mint tea as she waited for guest to arrive.

Miss Grue

Daphne was in a good mood today and as she walked she broadcast her happy thoughts among the people she passed. Hopefully, she’d brighten some people days today. Her studies were going well but she was still looking for something else beyond just the standard superheroing.

She sauntered into the bookshop with a friendly wave to the person on the desk, who only scowled back. What a complicated mind she had it was like looking into a mirror.

“Hi there I’m here to see Lynn, I think she’s expecting me!”

Merge was dressed as outrageously as ever, but for whatever reason she was not in the mood for perky today; maybe one of her had a headache? Instead, she indicated the office door with a nod, and made a knocking motion in the air.

"Come in," a pleasant voice called out in response to Daphne's rapping. The office was small and cozy, crowded with bookshelves on all four sides. A massive wooden desk dominated the space, and behind it sat a petite woman in her early thirties that the Grue instantly recognized the shopkeeper, who stood up and reached over to shake her fellow shapechanger's hand. 

"Hi! I think it's safe to say that we've met, but never been properly introduced. I'm Lynn Epstein, aka Grimalkin. Please, have a seat!" She motioned towards an overstuffed leather chair, then returned to her high backed one. "Can I get you anything from the bar? Coffee, tea or a pastry?"

Miss Grue

Daphne sunk into the chair and enjoyed it for a few moments, she liked to enjoy the simple things sometimes.

“Daphne Celeste, aka Ms Grue, aka Ms Red I thinks that everyone! And a pasty would be fine, I’m not allowed caffeine it makes me far to hyper!” she was her normal bubbly self, it would probably be much worse if she was on caffeine

“Thanks for inviting me here, though you don’t have to be psychic to know this isn’t just a chance to catch up! Though I’m totally fine with that first, it’s always nice to catch up with old friends!”

Posted (edited)

The changeling laughed out loud. "I hadn't thought of that, but that's a good point! Good one you for knowing your own limits." She picked up her phone and called out to the front. "Hi Lance. Can I have a medium virgin mocha and one of those double chocolate donuts with the sprinkles brought back here for our guest? Thanks." She waved a hand to dismiss any possible concerns. "Don't worry; 'virgin mocha' is just our way of saying 'fancy hot chocolate' around here. No caffeine."

The two shapechangers chatted amiably while they waited for Daphne's order to arrive, talking 'the biz' like the seasoned prows they were. In short order, tall handsome Lance the barista brought in delightful looking donut and the previously described virgin mocha, both of which smelled truly wonderful.

"Excellent, thanks Lance! Now, I'd like to move on to the semi-serious idea I wanted to float by you. I will admit that at first, my interest was purely selfish, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized this thing could possibly help the whole heroic community here in Freedom. Now, let's say hypothetically that Daphne Celeste was, I dunno, invited to the mayor's annual Christmas ball or something. Daphne Celeste, not Ms. Grue; that's very important. But then, you get a hot tip on some case you've been working on, and Ms Grue has to be at the docks to intercept a shipment of stolen weapons. What do yo do?'

Lynn made a dramatic sweeping gesture along the length of her body, and as the swirling vapors passed over her, she was suddenly transformed into Ms. Daphne Celeste, wearing a lovely formal gown with her hair up and a string of pearls around her graceful neck. "You ask you friend Grimalkin to cover for you for an hour or two while you round up the bad guys!" Lynn resumed her original form with a shrug. "But then what if we could take it a step even further; what if 'Captain Colossus' gets invited to the same party as his secret identity, millionaire playboy Carl Connors? It's important that both men are seen at the event to help create the illusion that they're two separate people. They don't have to both stay there whole time, just long enough to sell the idea and appear together in a few photographs."

It was clear the idea was very exciting to Grim, although her motivation was less clear. "This is a service that we and other shapeshifters could provide, free of charge within our community; people always think of us as being shifty or sneaky, but this could be a way we could really give back!" She finally paused to catch her breath and run her hand through her hair. "So whaddya think? Good idea, or am I just going crazy?"

Edited by Heritage

Miss Grue

Daphne decided not to mention that sugars might be almost as bad, Grue physiology could be weird like that sometime. She listened intently as Lynn made her pitch, it sounded interesting but the sight of her own face made her think of something.

“You know I think I did a good job on that face,a little more mature but not to much! Cause of my unique nature I naturally default to my sixteen-year-old self, it helps with the whole secret identity thing but makes everything else much more complicated.” she smiled a little guilty

“I’m lucky that I can do that whilst others can’t, so if I can help I’ll do what I can. To be fair I help where I can, it’s kind of on my nature really. So what have you figured out so far?”

Lynn looked slightly puzzled as she scratched the back of her head. "What have I figured out? Uh...this is about as far as I've gotten, to be honest. I mean, I started to compile a list of shapeshifters who are active in the Freedom area, but it's far from complete." A paper list suddenly appeared in her hand, and a pair of reading glasses manifested on her nose. "Let's see, there's me and you, Pseudo and Set...is that it? I feel like there have to more I don't know about...which makes sense, since we are talking about people who are naturally sneaky." She handed the list over to Daphne. "I mean, if you can think of any others, please let me know!"