Some Things Should Never Be Found (IC)

GM

As Cho and Gene remained in their places, Cho looking through the thick foliage for the source of the sound, Zandar and his daughter both also blended into the jungle around them. Kit decided to take a more proactive approach, concealing herself before starting to retrace their steps. But she had not moved far before the sounds behind them grew louder, the footfalls of numerous individuals, moving forward quickly.

Kit had to draw up short as a line of nine men wearing banded metal armor and helmets emerged from the jungle foliage. Each carried rectangular, if slightly curved, shields in one hand, and a long javelin in the other. They were the spitting image of a Roman legionnaire from so many Hollywood movies. A second rank of legionnaires followed immediately behind the first, the group moving forward at a quick march, advancing on the location where the others were.

Off to either side, Kit saw at least another dozen men moving quickly along the flanks, forming a U shaped formation. She had to make a quick decision, either fall back away from the advancing wall of shields, or quickly slip through the spaces between the main wall and the flanks on one side or the other.

The others saw the Roman legionnaires not long after Kit, as the wall of soldiers continued to advance forward. Following along to one side of the center wall of men was another Roman who was riding on a huge two legged feathered dinosaur with large claws on its feet. The man wore an armored chestplate that was more elaborate than that worn by the legionnaires, along with a red cloak and a red plumed helmet.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"R-right. Romans. On...dinosaurs." was all Cho could really say about this surreal situation. Romans, somehow still existing in the 21st century and riding frickin' raptors! It almost seemed like something an eight year old would come up with, right there with robot cowboys fighting alien samurai. Still, to Cho they certainly weren't a threat, as she figured she could probably wade through them like a certain famous french comic character.

"So, what do we do now?" asked the teenager.

Polarity stayed crouched low. She turned, put her back against the tree and let herself attempt to just blend in with the background. She saw the rows of soldiers, heard their boots clanking rhythmically against the dirt. She didn't know how many of them there were just that she didn't like it.

She stayed silent as the men drew closer to them. Her lips mimed the words 'What the he-' but kept her voice caught in her throat. She couldn't risk giving them away. She had no clue what would happen if these men found them, though something gave her the idea that it wouldn't be pretty. It might have been the... commander? The one that was riding around on a dinosaur. Ooooh she was jealous. She wanted to ride on a giant raptor. They were scary cool dinosaurs....

But she couldn't let herself linger on the thought. She needed to keep it together. Carefully Juno reached into her belt, pulling out her goggles and clipping them on. If this turned into a fight she would need to be ready.

Gene watched the marching Legion approach, their armor and banners making a glorious and unexpected sight against the primeval jungle. And then what he could only assume was their commander showed himself, perched on top of something that look halfway between a chicken and an effect from Jurassic Park. If chickens were eight feet tall, that is, or the Jurassic Park involve man and dinosaur working together to fight... what? Zandar had mentioned that there was a Roman village around, but were the humans really at war with each other when there were huge dinosaurs to fight off and an entire world to explore and expand into?

GM

As Cho stood her ground, with Gene just a short distance away, the Romans moved forward until the wall of eighteen legionnaires had stopped about twenty feet from the pair.  They had their shields held ready, but had not yet readied their javelins, although they likely could at a moment's notice.  The two flanking groups of legionnaires, a dozen to either side, had moved up to form a single file line on each side, almost completely enclosing the teenagers.

From where she had moved to, Sam was in position to see that behind the main Roman shield wall were a man and a woman who looked very much like some of the tribesmen that were Lord Zandar's subjects.  Each had a bow in hand, a quiver of arrows on their back, although they did not yet have an arrow nocked.  They were following a bit more slowly behind the Romans, keeping

The Roman riding the massive Raptor moved up alongside the main wall of Roman's looking out at Cho and Gene.  He shouted out something to the pair, but none of the Claremont students could understand it, although most could recognize that it was Latin. 

Lord Zandar then stood up, reveling himself and stepping in closer to Cho and Gene, as he gave a deep, but calm response, also in Latin.

The Roman commander turned his mount to one side, focusing on the Jungle Lord for a brief moment, before he spoke once more in heavily accented English.  "My apologies Jungle Lord, we did not see you."

The man swung himself down from the saddle of the raptor, taking the rains and handing them to one of the Roman's in the main shield wall.  He then stepped forward, reaching up to take off his helmet, which he tucked under one arm.  He was a good looking young man, not more than nineteen years old, with short light brown hair and brown eyes.  "I am Military Tribune Gallus Septimius."  He stated with a small bow.

Zandar was leaning almost casually on his spear as the tribune introduced himself, giving only a slight nod of his head in return to the young man's greeting.  "You are far afield from Nova Roma tribune."

"There have been reports in some of our outlying settlements of strangers causing problems.  My men and I were dispatched to investigate and have been tracking these strangers for over a day."  Septimius responded, standing up straighter and seeming slightly insulted at having to explain his presence. 

"I can assure you tribune that my guests have been nowhere near your lands.  Just before you arrived, I had happened upon the tracks apparently from those you have been following."  Zandar replied.

With the situation apparently defused and Lord Zandar conversing with the tribune with no apparent concern, Giang moved back into the open and towards Cho and Gene.

"How many outworlders are you hosting Jungle Lord?" The tribune stated at first, before his eyes narrowed slightly as he focused on Giang. "I…I know you. You were among the outworlder youth that came to Nova Roma last year and reveled the schemes of the Serpent People!"

Giang gave a small nod in reply. "Yes tribune, I accompanied several of my classmates to your city to help stop the Serpent People threat." She replied simply.

"I recall you particularly." The tribune continued. "I was present at the Senate assembly when you dramatically reveled that the Serpent People had infiltrated our city, by smashing one across the Senate floor with the stream of water you conjured out of thin air."

The Asian teen's demeanor remained neutral, but she gave another small nod. "Yes, that was me."

Listening to the deliberations between Zandar, Giang, and the Roman (an actual Roman Legion!) commander, Gene started feeling a blush creep over him. He didn't dare to interrupt, so instead the teen sidled over the Kzara, whispering to her. "The Roman city is pretty far away, right," he asked, his voice full of trepidation. "And they're not by any mountains, or anything? There's absolutely no chance my little, uh, morning explosion would have bothered the city?" Even if it hadn't caused an avalanche into the town square, he worried if the Romans might not have taken it as an omen of some kind. Distant beat of war drums, perhaps, urging them to conquest?

GM

Kzara had moved out from cover as well once it became apparent that the legionnaires were not just going to attack. She stood slightly off to one side, eyeing some of nearest legionnaires as she half listened to what her father and the tribune were talking about.

When Gene came over and whispered to her, the girl turned her head back to regard the teen for a moment before she shook her head and gave him a small smile. "No, as loud as you were, you could not have bothered them in Nova Roma. It is many leagues away, well over a day's travel." She replied. She then turned her head back to study some of the Roman soldiers once more. "Whoever it was that bothered them, they have come a long way."

"Um..." With nothing to say, especially since she had absolutely no context about the Lost World and no previous knowledge of it. In a rare moment of wisdom, she simply chose to remain silent and rather just look at the romans, since seeing actual romans was definately not something one would see every day, even less so romans riding dinosaurs! Yes, definately not something seen every day down the street, that was absolutely certain.

Polarity didn’t break cover lightly. She had no idea what was going on. No idea what to expect from these soldiers.

Why the heck are there Roman soldiers here! This place makes no dang sense!

She kept herself hidden until Lord Zandar spoke to the… commander? The dude in the shiny armor who was obviously in charge. She had the element of surprise and didn’t want to waste it.  Not if it might save them. However when she saw that the Lord was on good terms with them, she finally stepped out from behind the tree. However her posture didn’t relax. She stayed on guard, walking lightly as she gathered with the rest of the group.

Everything seemed easygoing enough but… who else was here? Why would there be others in this place? It didn’t make sense. 

GM

After confirming Giang's identity, Septimius focused back on Lord Zandar. "Jungle Lord, seeing as we have encountered one another, perhaps you and your charges would be willing to assist us in tracking these unknown outworlders in order to determine if they pose some form of threat?"

Lord Zandar had a cool expression as he considered the tribune's words. "Allow me a moment to converse with my young friends." He stated, gesturing for the Claremont students and his daughter to join him off to one side away from the Romans. Septimius gave an acknowledging nod and moved back over to check his mount for a moment while the group gathered together.

"The pathway through which I brought you here is but one connection the Lost World has with yours, though most of the others are more unstable and not always open. It is possible whomever these unknown outworlders are, they could have wondered into such a portal by accident. But on the other hand, they apparently moved along the edges of Roman lands, and instead of heading towards the signs of civilization, instead have moved out into the wilderness." The Jungle Lord began in a low voice. "We are also near a valley in which lie many old ruins, and the tracks appear to be heading in that direction."

"It may well be appropriate to accompany these legionnaires, but I would not do so without your agreement."

"Right, well I-I...I think I got an idea about what they might be doing here. It's just a theory." Cho said, speaking up. She hoped it wouldn't sound stupid. It was probably better that she spoke right now, before they got going rather than wait for it and speak about it later. "I mean, we know they're looking for something if they're avoiding civilization. What if they're not lost at all and know well what this place is? What if they're..." She took a moment to rethink about it, making sure the idea wasn't utterly silly after all.

"Poachers. I mean, dinosaurs and prehistoric beasts are probably worth a lot, no?"

Giang looked over at Cho as she spoke up.  "That is a possibility."  She acknowledged.  "Although I am not sure it is as simple as poachers.  Thus far, the only evidence we have of these outsiders indicates that they are on foot, which provides some limitation on what they can carry out from anything they kill.  Additionally, it sounds like they have already travelled a fair distance without killing anything yet.  But still, certainly something to keep in mind and consider."

The Asian teen turned her attention back to the Jungle Lord.  "Lord Zandar, regardless of why these outsiders may be here, we are certainly willing to help in tracking them down and discovering what their intentions are."

Sam rejoins her merry little band, hopping into the huddle as she emerges from hiding. These Roman dudes may be a bunch of stiffs, but really, they don't really have their measure.

"Well if you ask me, you all know the old saying. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. And since we don't know the score with these guys, lets err safe and go with closer. Help 'em out until we see what's up. Easiest way to learn what's up. And if they're doing something shady, we stop 'em."

She makes an open gesture, inviting any dissenting opinion, though not expecting any against her sterling logic.

Juno nodded, eyes staying focused on the ground. Her expression was tight, as if in thought. She didn’t understand why other people would be here. Sure, dinosaurs would probably be worth a pretty penny but… there wasn’t any evidence of poaching so why?

“What if we sent a few scouts ahead? I’m not saying to split up, but it might be best if we can catch these visitors off guard. See what they are up to when no one is watching. Or rather when they think no one is watching. They could try and save face if we approach them directly. Not to mention that showing up a Roman legion sort of screams 'We are going to attack you'.†She stepped up, looking at lord Zandar. “I’m not suggesting we attack. Just… observe.†She her eyes scanned over the group, finding another who might be good for the job. “Sam. You’re light on your feet too. We could go ahead a bit, see what we can see. We would need someone who could track though. I’m not exactly at home here in the wilderness.†She looked back at the group, realizing that she had drawn a bit of attention. It caused her to shrink a bit, face going red. “That is, if that didn’t sound like a stupid plan and everyone is cool with it.â€

“Yeah!†Gene piped up, moving to join the other Claremont teens. “There’s no reason to think that we have to fight these new people. Maybe they just wandered into the Lost Wo--into this world,†he continued, realized at the last moment that a name like ‘the Lost World’ could be offensive to the people who actually live here. “Maybe we can find them and explain ourselves. And then nobody has to get hurt!†He looked at the Romans, and their gleaming armor and proud standards. “And that’s a good thing,†he added.

"Well, whatever works." Cho says, not sure how to weight in on the situation. "I'm going to stay out of the scouting part, I-I'm...well, I'm sure we got people who could handle the job better." She wasn't the fastest in the bunch, or the most agile and certainly not the most stealthy. Not by a long shot.

"I'd rather stay behind for now." No need to bring out the big guns and punch someone across the Lost World unless it was needed.

GM

Zandar listened to the Claremont students as they discussed the situation and ideas on possibly trying to scout ahead, smiling slightly as none of them hinted at wanting to avoid getting involved. When they had finished, he gave a small nod. "Then we are agreed, we will accompany the Tribune and his men in investigating these unknown strangers."

He then focused on Juno as he continued, "but for the moment we should all stay together. From what I can tell, we are still a fair distance behind whomever these strangers are and we are not yet certain of their destination. Instead of letting some of you get too far from the rest of us, we shall try to close the distance some and then see sending out some scouts."

Turning back toward where Septimius was talking with some of his men, the Jungle Lord called out. "It is agreed Tribune, we will join you in tracking these outworlders in order to learn the reason for their presence here."

"We are most grateful for your assistance Jungle Lord." The young Tribune replied, giving a small bow before he looked over at the Claremont students and gave them a small nod as well. He then turned and called out loudly to his men in Latin before striding back over towards his raptor mount and climbed back up to the saddle. The Roman legionaries formed back into two lines for the march.

"Whenever you are ready Jungle Lord." Septimius stated as he fixed his helmet back in place. "With your legendary tracking skills, I am confident it will not be long before we find our quarry."

Polarity nodded. It would be best for them to all stick together for now at least. She hoped they didn’t end up walking into an ambush or something. If she had her way they would have a scout ahead at all times. She didn’t like not knowing what was ahead of them. The fact that there were people there that shouldn’t be….

She really needed to buck up if she was going to last at this whole hero gig. She was still getting used to it. Still, she was trying her best. So Polarity fell in with the group, ready to follow with the Romans until the time came to scout ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

GM

With Zandar and the Claremont students taking the lead, the now much larger group started off once more after the tracks that led deeper and deeper into the jungle. The Roman legionnaires kept a steady, disciplined pace behind them, with Tribune Septimius riding alongside on his large velociraptor. The going was not easy, but there were at least somewhat regular stops, as the Jungle Lord had to stop and search for the tracks, which he admitted were not always easy to find.

"I believe there is one among this group that is skilled at concealing his or her tracks, and is also trying to help obscure the other tracks as well." Zandar stated at one stop, as he knelt down to indicate some tracks he had managed to find. "I have identified at least four individuals in the group, three males, one female. That likely means a group of about five." He stated, standing back up and starting off once more.

After about an hour, the terrain had changed considerably, the jungle seeming to close in some, as they began moving down a slope. To their right, there was a series of cliffs and steep hills/low mountains, just visible through the trees. To their left, the river ran below them, the current much fast now, as it had narrowed, with more cliffs/low hills along the river's left bank.

As the group stopped to take a small water break, Zandar moved over towards the hot and tired Claremont students. "We have now entered the valley I mentions earlier. Further down this way are ancient ruins I mentioned earlier."

TNTeen was grateful for the stop. This day had a lot more physical exertion in it than he was used to, and his legs felt like rubber bands after marching for so long. He'd tried a few long jumps, but it was hard to choose his landing area too precisely, and besides he didn't want to get too far away from the group. All of that meant a loooooooot of walking, in air that felt that it was squeezing his chest with humidity.

The young man glanced down their path, to where Zander indicated their destination was. "So, these guys went to the ruins, then?" It was hardly a genius deduction, but Gene felt it needed to be said. "Is there something special there? Something valuable?"

• 3 weeks later...

GM

"It certainly appears as if they have made their way down there." Zandar replied to Gene's question. "There is little else down there but the ruins, and no other means of exit." The Jungle Lord paused a moment then said with a small smile. "Well, no other easy means of exiting the valley. I suppose it could be possible, if extremely difficult, to climb out, or exit by other means." He looked over toward Sam and Juno as he spoke.

"As for what lies in the ruins down there, I cannot say for certain, for I have never explored them. But I can say from experience that ruins here are better left alone."

• 3 weeks later...

Giang took a drink of water from a waterskin as she listened to Lord Zandar explain where the trail seemed to be leading them. Glancing a moment over at the Roman legionnaires, who were resting in the shade of the jungle after the long march, she looked back at their host and her friends and classmates. "It is seeming less and less likely that whomever these strangers are, they did not accidently wander through the portal that brought them here."

"After initially encountering signs of civilization, they did not follow those signs toward possible help, but instead made their way further into the wilds. Then their path has all but led them straight to some ancient ruins. While they may not be hostile, so far they have sought to avoid contact with anyone, so may not appreciate our appearance to learn who they are and what they are doing here. Especially not when we bring the Tribune and his men along in our wake."

• 1 month later...

The walk was long and when they finally stopped, overlooking the ruins, it left her almost speechless. It was like something out of a movie. Still, she stepped up, turning to address Lord Zander.

"I can get in and out without a problem. I can do about 500ft in a shot." She turned to look at everyone. "Whatever is going on here, we need to find out. Leading the legion in is sure to draw attention. Even if its just us-" She gestured to her fellow students. "That way we don't scare them off... Assuming they don't already know we are here..."