Some Things Should Never Be Found (IC)

This place is already turning out to be much more dangerous than what she thought it would be. She had told her father it was a simple trip, nothing too dangerous or outlandish. Boy had she been wrong. Wars, Serpent people.... She really hoped they didn't get dragged into something like that, if for nothing else than the simple fact that she hates lying to her father. She couldn't tell him about any of it if it happened though. He'd probably die of a heart attack and she would really prefer that didn't happen.

Still. This place was friggin awesome. Like this chasm.

Juno stepped right up to the edge, peering over with a whistle that echoes off the rocks. "That's a loooooong way down." She would be afraid if she didn't have a perfect escape from falling. The swing looks fun, and her heart pounds as Lord Zander and her daughter make their way across but she would really rather not risk the vine breaking. "If anyone falls I should be able to catch them in time. Not sure though. Never really timed my teleports." She's fairly certain she could get herself out of a fall, but down to someone and back out before they both hit the water is something else entirely. After Gene makes it she let's out a little sigh of relief. "I'll zap across and wait. I'll have a better line of sight there just in case." 

It only took a few moments and if anyone had been too slow they would have looked toward the sound of her voice to find no source for it. With a shimmer of light she appeared next to lord Zander but steps back toward the edge of the chasm once again to wait at the ready, just in case. She supposes she could have taken someone with her but to be honest, she'd rather not teleport someone with her unless she has to. Not until she has a chance to properly practice it.

((Provided the chasm is less than 500ft across anyways. If it's longer I will have to edit my post.))

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I guess I could try...jumping across." Wonders Cho out loud, weighting her options as she look down the chasm. Looking down below, she began to pull back. "Okay, okay...I'm gonna jump!" The girl breathe in, sweating a bit. 'I have no idea if I can do this.' She think to herself, looking for a good place to get a running start in order to jump over it. 'Allright, just a jump, you can do it. Maybe.'

Cho starts to run at full speed, before leaping over the chasm. 'Okay good and-waah-aah..' Temporarily, she has a quiet freak out as she's in the air, over the gap, realizing that she might be ever-so-slightly afraid of heights. Landing on the other side, she falls face-first, rolling around with the momentum. There's a brief moment of silence, before she rise up, looks around and sighs. "I-I'm...I'm okay. I'm okay!"

• 2 weeks later...

Giang watched as her fellow students made their way across by various methods, which included Sam swing across, then teleport back so she could do so again.  Once the others were all across, the Asian teen stepped up to the edge of the platform.

While she could easily raise up water and create a bridge she could walk across, Giang was not one to shy away from physical challenges.  So, with a vine in hand, she swung across the chasm, although she did so without the audio embellishment Sam and Gene had added.

Reaching the other side, she landed nimbly on the opposite platform, the vine still in one hand.  Glancing over to Cho, she then gave a small nod as the other teen stated she was alright after her somewhat dramatic landing. 

GM

Zandar and Kazra had watched as the superteens each made their way across the chasm by various methods, a smile coming to the Jungle Lord's face as he watched, particularly when Sam teleported back to the opposite platform to swing across a second time.  When Cho came leaping over to land hard and tumble a bit out of control, Zandar had smoothly stepped and out of her path.

As Cho indicated she was alright and Giang swung over to join the group, Zandar gave a loud laugh.  "Well done, well done indeed.  Now, let us be on our way once more, we are almost to our destination for tonight."  With that, he started off once more along the suspended walkway path.  Kazra and Giang stayed behind a short while so that the jungle girl could swing back across taking a few of the vines the group had used with her to return them to the opposite platform.  But it was not long before the pair caught back up with the rest of the group.

A little over a half an hour later, the group came to a section of the jungle where the trees grew even closer together and the leave canopy above was even thicker, plunging the area around them into even darker shadows.  Attached to the rope bridges and platforms here were short pole atop which were affixed phosphorescent rocks, which provided a dull green glow that illuminated the path.  They had only been in the darker section of the jungle a short while when they reached another platform that lacked an attached rope bridge.  This time however, there were no vines along the railings from which to swing with.

Getting back on relativly solid ground made Gene feel better, but now the trees were closing over their heads and it seemed more like going down a wide tunnel, rather than walking through a forest. It made his stomach feel fluttery and his heart race, but he took a deep breath and reminded himself that he outside, above ground, had plenty of room on all sides, and that it wasn't good form to explode nice people.

To take his mind off the situation, he focused on the lamps they were passing. "How... how are those crystals glowing," he asked Zandar. "Is it a chemical reaction?"

Charlie followed the group along the next section of path. Her eyes scanning the trees around them and admiring the world. They were almost close enough to touch from their path. Her gaze turned upward when she noticed how dark it was getting. The sun was still shining, but the leaves and branches blocked it. You could seeing it trying to peak through the cracks of the canopy, but it was far too dense. Still, it looked beautiful. Like a ceiling made of some material that glowed from within. 

Like the rocks. casting that light around them that was at least enough to see by. "Oh wow. I don't know. Maybe? They are beautiful. Lord Zandar? Are there more of these rocks about? Could I possibly take one or two as a souvenir before we leave?"

GM

"That is how Tess Atom once explained them to me."  Zandar replied to Gene's question about the crystals.  He then turned to regard Juno when she asked about possibly getting some as a souvenir.  "When my people collect or work with the crystals, there are often small shards that result.  Not quite as useful as the larger rocks, some of those shards can still give off a fair amount of illumination, and are certainly something that would make a good souvenir."

After answering the teens' questions, the jungle lord stepped forward slightly and looked up into the dark shadows above.  "I HAVE RETURNED WITH OUR GUESTS!  LET US WELCOME THEM!"  He shouted out, and almost immediately, dim lights appeared in the darkness below, growing every brighter as they descended down toward the group.

Soon enough the gathered Claremont students could see it was more of the glowing crystals, affixed to what could only be described as a primitive elevator, a small wooden platform with railings and a canopy, lowered down by several handmade ropes.  There was enough room for the entire group, and soon they were rising up into the dark shadows of the upper jungle canopy.  Then, almost suddenly, they passed through the darkness, and into the bright blue sky once more and the sound of dozens of voices cheering erupted around them.

It took a few brief moments for their eyes to adjust back to the bright light, and then the teenagers saw they were at a large wooden platform set atop thick branches of the massive tree, up above the thick upper canopy of the jungle.  Dozens of people, dressed in animal skins similar to Zandar and Kzara were gathered on the platform, warm smiles on their faces as they greeted the teens.  They welcomed the group with warm hugs, most speaking in a language that the teens could not understand, though a few spoke English as well.

Even with the throng of people around them, the Claremont students were able to see that there were a number of other similar platforms around them, some on the same tree, others on nearby trees, all attached by various walkways and bridges.  Small dwellings were part of the platforms, built out of wood, straw, and in some cases massive sun bleached bones that could only be from dinosaurs. 

After a few minutes, Zandar moved back to the group, his people moving out of his way as he gestured towards one of the walkways leading to platforms on another tree.  "Come my friends, let me show you to your quarters for the evening, then you have a few hours in which to rest and explore before the welcoming feast tonight!"

Giang meet with jubilant welcome of Lord Zandar's subjects with a warm smile, returning the hugs and making polite bows. She had experienced such a welcome on her last trip, and an even more joyous farewell after her and the other’s efforts to disrupt the plans of the Serpent People. It also did not hurt that she recognized some faces from her last visit.

She and the others then followed after the jungle lord as he led them through part of the suspended city, crossing over several walkways until they came to a smaller platform a short flight of stairs off one of the main ones. It was a bit more shaded by some of the overhanging branches, but still received some sunlight. In the center of the small platform was a small fire pit made of stone, though currently there was not fire there. There were a number of small huts on the platform, each looking large enough to accommodate at least two or three people.

"Here you are my friends!" Zandar exclaimed as the group reached the small platform. "These huts are at your disposal. As I said, you have a few hours in which to rest or explore the village more. There are some of my people that speak English who can act as translators for you. I shall see you all later this evening."

"Thank you again for your hospitality Lord Zandar." Giang said as she once again gave a small bow to the jungle lord before he flashed the group a warm smile and made his way back up the stairs.

The Asian teen the loosened her pack as she glanced at the huts, but then she noticed Kazra was still there, along with a number of children from the village.

"They have heard about the stories you told last year with the moving water. As have I." Kazra explained with a small shrug. "We were hoping to see that."

Giang gave the younger girl a warm smile. "Alright, just let me store my things first."

Gene glanced around the hut, and it didn't really take more than that to see the entire thing. Well, at least it was somewhere to drop his bag. With that done he wandered off, looking all around the village. In other circumstances he might have found it fascinating, but for now he was rather overwhelmed; the odd journey, the profusion of foreign languages around him, and he just wanted something familiar and normal for a little bit. Even if that would be impossible in the Lost World.

Gene ended up shimmying down a rope and wandering around a lower level, where he came upon a boy braiding a rope. He wasn't much older than Gene, and seemed very intent on his task. He still looked up when Gene approached, talking rapidly. The words were incomprehensible but his tone was warm. Gene spread his hands, doing his best to look harmless. "I'm sorry, I don't know what you're saying. I don't know what you're saying. Oh, you want me to take this?" The boy pushed some of the braids into Gene's hands and began working his fingers. "So you do it like that... and that... and that?"

Slowly, with a lot of back and forth, the young Claremonter began to go to work.

Given how Cho could sometimes become extremely shy, all the attention from their greetings from the natives of the Lost World naturally caused her to shrink back into her sheel, feeling very much uncomfortable. Past the initial, awkward greetings, the girl decided to find herself a hut and make herself at home in a nice, little cozy spot. After settling in, she quickly realized that just sitting a hut, all shy, wouldn't really be all that interesting and even a complete waste of her trip to a place as amazing as the lost world. That and she realized she didn't even remotely felt tired, all things considered.

Leaving the hut, the claremonter decided to just stroll around the place and enjoy the scenery and experience. Moving around the platform was a non-issue, as was the fear of falling now that she realized she could just jump around. 'Silly me, I can't believe I actually forgot I could do that...' though the girl, in between leaps. 'I bet the others all laughed at me for it.'

Huts.

How... delightful.

Sam doesn't complain. They're being sincere and hospitable. But it's so... primitive. Good place to visit, but she would never want to stay long. Thankfully, she brought a few little comforts with her.

"I thank you for your hospitality, Lord Zandar."

Entirely sincere. It would just be nice if it involved less huts and more hot tubs.

She makes her way with the horde of greetings feeling awkward all the while, especially with a language she'd never heard all around her, but she eventually gets free without insulting anyone, and decides to stick close to Giang.

"Y'know, I don't think I've ever seen what you can do when you really cut loose." She holds up a hand, calling forth a few wispy balls of blue fire. "I can add some pyrotechnics for you.

Juno stared at the glowing crystals with a large smile. Her heart did a little leap at the proposition of maybe taking a small one home. Maybe she could get just a small piece. Wear it as a necklace souvenir from their adventure here. “That would be amazing Lord Zander.†She smiled at the man, excited.

Then suddenly he shouted to the trees and the elevator was lowered to them. Soon enough all of the students were lifted up through the canopy and after squinting against the light she almost couldn’t believe what she saw. The village looked like something Elves might have built for themselves in a fantasy novel. Add some air conditioning and she could live in a place like this.

The cluster of people who welcomed them made her feel good, welcome in their home. The huts were in a little cluster looks like a little cul-de-sac. “Too cute.†She smiled. She wasted no time picking out her hut, depositing her bag before setting out to explore the village in the trees. Everyone seemed to be off doing their own thing, so Juno did likewise. She followed the walkways down and around to where she saw some girls practicing some sort of dance. She wasn’t sure if she was allowed to join in, so instead she just sat on a branch nearby and watched, enjoying the warm breeze.

"Well, I am not certain this qualifies as 'cutting loose," Giang replied to Sam with a small smile, "but I would be more than happy for the company and pyrotechnic assistance."

After storing their things, the two teenagers followed along with Kzara and the younger children, the group eventually ending up on a lower platform where there were a number of large water storage containers set up as part of a rain collection system.  Giang sat down cross-legged off to one side, her back perfectly straight as she took a breath and then focused on some of the water in one of the containers.

With a few gestures, she guided several thousand pounds of water out into the air, where it soon formed a large, flat, smooth surface that hovered in the air in front of the group of children.  Another gesture and mountains and trees made from water rose up from the smooth surface, creating a watery landscape that  soon included a human figure that was taller than any of the mountains.  With Kzara translating, Giang began to tell the story of Kua Fu, a giant who one day decided to try to catch the sun, the water figure moving across the landscape, pursuing a fiery orb provided by Sam, but was never quite able to reach his goal.

As the scenery for the story of Kua Fu melded back into the rest of the pool of water Giang had formed, the Asian teen next told the story of Long Mu, a Chinese woman who found a strange white stone one day along the banks of the Xi river.  The stone turned out to be an egg that hatched five baby dragons that she raised, and soon there were watery dragons flying through the air around the children, as they used the powers to control weather to aide Long Mu's village in times of draught. 

Giang finished her water display, with a telling of a few of the adventures of Sun Wukong, the Monkey King, the watery figure of the Monkey King jumping and running across the landscapes she made from the pool as he tricked and battled an array of foes.

GM

The afternoon past relatively quickly as the various Claremont teens explored different parts of the treetop village.  Gene spent part of the time helping the teenager he met braid ropes and then latter accompanied him and some other locals as they went and used those new ropes to repair some of the walkways and rope bridges in the jungle near the village.  Juno had not been watching the girls practice their dance for too long before they and gestured for her to join them and they began to teach the agile teen the steps for the dance.  During her exploration of the village, Cho had come across a lower platform where villagers were bringing up food stores collected by the hunters and farmers in the village, and lent her strength to speeding up the task.

As the day began to fade, the teens each had a chance to return to the platform where their huts were located to rest some and change if they wished, before it was time for the welcoming feast. 

The feast was held on a large platform toward the center of the village, several wooden tables set out end to end to form one long table.  Torches had been set up around the platform to counter the darkening sky, basking the area in a warm glow of light. 

As the Claremont students arrived, they were greeted by Zandar, along with his wife, Korzeel, who greeted them warmly.  During the feast, the teens were seated toward the end of the table the Jungle Lord and his wife sat at, near each other, but slightly spaced with members of the village among them.  The feast included large wooden platters of various cooked meats, prepared with rare spices, as well as an assortment of fruits and vegetables, some familiar to the teenagers, others strange and exotic.

"W-what, r-really? This stuff is for us?" Cho asked, surprised by this feast. All things considered, having a feast in her (well, rather all the students) honor was something new. In fact, having a feast in general was a whole new thing, as this easily surpassed family reunions. This really was something.

It also occured to her that she really felt hungry. Looking at the delicious food, her hunger felt even more present. The meat, in particular, caught her eyes. "Can I...dig in?" she asked, somewhat timid, since at this point she felt so hungry that she knew that, once she started eating, it would make her voracious. By now, she generally knew what to expect from her sudden cravings.

Gene had a confusing, but fun and productive time shoring up the rope bridges and platforms that made up the village. As the time for the feast approached, he was feeling like something of an expert, and he started giving the platforms a hard eye as he traveled over them. It was the sort of faux-expertise many teenagers displayed after being immersed in an activity for a day or so, but to Gene the feeling was very real.

He settled down next to Cho, looking over the spread of food. "That is an awful lot of food," he said, swallowing his drool. "Um. There's nothing like fried beetles or monkey brains in there, is there?"

• 2 weeks later...

Before the feast, Sam washes up from the trip as best she can. The grime and the ick accumulates quick in the jungle. Then, she changes into a powder blue tank top that would probably be unwise in the jungle proper with capris and a scarf to hide her brand. Not exactly formalwear, but it's the best she can do, and when being invited to a feast by royalty, it is wise to look your best.

"Gene," she says to her classmate in that reproachful tone mothers often use on misbehaving children, but this is not the time to start bickering in front of their hosts. Truly, it seems etiquette has been removed from the classical education.

"We thank you for your hospitality, Lord Zandar. Lady Korzeel." And with that, she starts taking a little bit of nearly everything, within the bounds of her limited appetite. It wouldn't do to imply anything their hosts had served had been inadequate, after all, and to one who's known what real hunger is, there isn't much she isn't willing to eat. If it isn't to her taste, it is sure to be interesting, at least. Like that... brownish... dumplingy thing. It smells spicy, and looks entirely decent.

She eats it in one bite, and immediately goes red, diving for her water. Gulp, gulp, gone.

Hothothothothot...

But she keeps her composure, and politely asks for more water as she eyes the rest of her food. Hopefully, that is not the norm.

Since the others were starting to eat, Cho figured it was okay for her to eat too. She started to look around the table to find something that would suit her tastes. Then again, she felt rather hungry. Not even bothering to check what it was, the girl started choking down anything nearby that remotely looked like meat. "Um, ah...ish goosh.." she muttered, briefly talking with her mouth full as she swalled down some...whatever it was. Maybe she was better off not asking it was dinosaur meat or not. It tasted good and was edible so better not ask, especially since odds are she wouldn't find that a local supermarket.

Swallowing, she continued talking: "Sorry about that, I'm just really really hungry."

Edited by RobRX

Juno spent a large part of her day with the girls who were teaching her to dance. Most of that was spent practicing, learning the steps and the hand motions. Juno loved it. It was the perfect way for her to spend the day. Her agility and flexibility was very useful to her even here. She was used to memorizing routines and motions because of her gymnastics so they really didn't have to hold her hand.

When they were done dancing has girls wouldn't let her go, dragging her with them. They fussed and chatted in a language she didn't understand, though one of them spoke a bit of English. Before it was over the girls had insisted she sit and one of them tied a small string of beads into her hair. A small trinket, carved from an unknown shiny rock or shell dangled from behind her left ear as she walked back to the tents.

Juno washed the sweat from her skin, proud of her new trinket and new friends as she smiled from her day. A fresh change of clothes later she met with everyone down at the feast where she found a spot next to Cho. "Thanks for the feast sir." She smiled thankfully at lord Zander before helping herself to a sampling of different meats and veggies and what looked like Pita bread.

"Woah. Easy you, don't choke the first day Cho." She laughed and smiles. It kind of sounded like Cho said the food was good, so she took it as a sign to dig in. "Did you get into anything exciting today?" She asked before popping a chunk of fatty meat into her mouth. As a girl born in the south she knew what gator tasted like and had a feeling that might be the closest guess on what she just ate. She would definitely have more of that.

"Look, I can't do anything when I get hungry." she explained. "That's just how I work." continued Cho, while munching on those dumpling-things Kit was eating just a moment earlier. She too went for the water not long after, as it was spicy indeed. Very spicy. Coughing, Cho wiped the water off her lips...before immediately going back for more, stubbornly so.

"So, what is that stuff called anyway? Because it is very good!" she finally asked, continuing to torture herself with the spicy dumpling-things. Either it wasn't really that spicy to her or she was a bit of a masochist when it came to spicy hot food.

Gene hunched over at Sam's rebuke and meekly reached for something wrapped in thick, green leaves. It turned out to be a banana, with a pale green skin. Gene peeled it and took an experimental bite, but it tasted just like the ones his mother brought home from the supermarket. That encouraged him, and he reached for a yellow, fluffy vegetable mash with brown bits in it; it looked a bit like mashed potatoes with bacon bits, just with very big bacons. Gene took a spoonful and tasted; it tasted more like a squash, and the brown bits were crunchy. He dug into the meal with a renewed fervor.

• 1 month later...

Cho's response had made Juno smile. The teen looked out over the table and took in the vast display of food. She went for the dumplings, the ones that seemed to be making her peers a bit red in the face. Combined with the way they seemed to immediately dive for their drinks told Juno that they must be spicy. She picked one up, examining the casing with a smile. It reminded her of home. Of the Cantonese place her dad had taken to picking up for her on those nights when the both of them came home late. Nothing was better after a night on patrol than coming home to an order of dumplings and fried rice. Part of her wished that he could be there. To see all the amazing things the jungle had to offer.

That first bite was everything she wanted it to be. The spice didn’t hit right away, not till she was able to chew and swallow and enjoy the flavor. It was hot enough that she needed to reach for her water, but it wasn’t anything she couldn’t handle. Before she moved on Juno loaded a few dumplings onto her plate, really wishing she could share them with her dad.

"S-so, um, I was wondering..." Cho asked, a bit unsure, while holding up a large plate of food. Clearly she wasn't feeling any bit of shame in eating until she was full and then some. Then again, hyperactive metabolism tend to do that so it's not like it's a choice in her case. Well that and the food was pretty good too.

"Is there anything we could bring back as, maybe, some souvenirs? N-not that there's a gift shop in the lost world." She paused for a brief respite. "T-there isn't, r-right? I mean, no gift shop for plus dinosaur and prehistoric monster, r-right?" It then occured to her that was probably the dumbest thing she had said so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Sam, Giang had been raised with very formal manners, so even though she already knew Lady Korzeel, she still bowed in greeting to the Jungle Lord's wife as the Claremont teens arrived at the feast.  As everyone began taking their seats, the Asian teen ended up seated between Juno and Kzara.

Having grown up in Southeast Asia, Giang was accustomed to more unusual foods (from the viewpoint of the average American teenager), and after spending a few weeks living on the streets in Hong Kong and Singapore, whatever remaining aversions she had to trying new things were gone, so she also tried a wide sampling of the food laid out on the table.  She was able to handle the more spicy foods with relative ease, and spoke with their hosts through the meal, telling them a bit about the year since her last visit, as well as what was going on with the other three Claremont students who had been on that last trip.

GM

Lord Zandar, Lady Korzeel and the other gathered members of the tribe (although several needed the assistance of a translator) were all gracious hosts, making sure to engage in conversation with all of the Claremont students during the meal, answering questions about the various dishes and otherwise talking about day-to-day life in the Lost World (which tended to sound anything but routine).  They also asked questions to learn a bit about each of the teens as well. 

The Jungle Lord gave a friendly laugh at Cho's question about gift shops, confirming that there were no gift shops (least in the manner the powerful teenager was thinking), but that there would likely be opportunities for them to find some small souvenirs to take back with them and that he and Lady Korzeel would be sure to present each with a few items made by his people at the end of the trip.

The feast lasted a couple of hours, everyone having more than enough opportunity to eat their fill while responding to questions or asking ones of their own.  The torches around the tables were starting to burn dim when Lord Zandar stood up and a silence fell over those gathered. 

"While I am certain we could continue our conversations well into the night, it is time for us to allow our guests to get some much needed rest.  We will be starting early in the morning, as we have some distance to cover tomorrow, so I would advise each of you to rest up."

With that the feast ended, the assembled wishing their guests a good night before heading to their own sleeping areas as well.  The Claremont teens said good night to their hosts and made their way back to the platform where the small huts set up for them were located and prepared to go to sleep.