GM

Synapse could feel the mind of Blonsky strain against hers, and with all the plates she was spinning, keeping Blonsky under her control was an admirable feat. 

The Snowmobile span out through the air, and into the snow, sliding and tumbling, and in the process completely wrecking the vehicle. By that time, Blonsky and her where both in the air, passing the two skiing athletes. 

Credit to their single-mindedness. If they were shocked at a snowmobile cartwheeling out of a luge track behind a petrified luge competitor, if they were shocked at Blonsky and Dee flying through the air, they did not show it. Instead, they turned skis to stop, and the one with the functional assault rifle let a burst of bullets through the air, although he could not keep an accurate bead on the airborne hero and her captive. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dee heard another rattle of gunfire as she began to fly herself and Blonsky back toward where the mine had been placed, but soon they left the two brainwashed athletes behind them, at least for the moment.  She managed to maintain her control over the Russian coach, at least for the moment.

The Englishwoman was a bit shocked when she saw Erick lying in the snow, but after a quick check to ensure there was still brainwave activity from him, she decided to focus for the moment on dealing with the mine. 

Where is the mine?  She mentally asked Blonsky, as she prepared herself for disarming the device.

GM

Another burst of gunfire was heard as Synapse flew through the crisp cold air, and landed. 

"<Obey. Stop Target>" said one athlete, turning on his skis. 

"<Obey. Stop Target>" agreed the other athlete, not even nodding his head. 

Unfortunately travelling down hill on skis was easy and fast. Travelling up hill, not so much. The skis were soon abandoned as the two men started clambering up the snow back towards Synapse, Blonsky, an unconscious Foreshadow, and the unexploded mine. Whilst the men where in uncanny shape, they would need some time to clamber back up. 

Blonsky grunted, still trying to break free. 

"There!" he spat out, pointing at a piece of the biathalon track. Now he pointed it out, a slight ruffling and shaking of the snow that covered it could be seen. A devil to spot otherwise. Edward would have to have been extremely lucky or extremely paranoid to have noticed it - particularly as his mind was set on the competition. 

Dee noted the location of the mine before focusing back on Erick.  Knowing she was not likely able to keep her hold on Blonsky while trying to disarm the mine, she needed Erick back awake.  Moving over next to the unconscious hero, Dee touched his forehead with one gloved hand, focusing on the mental pathways of his mind, trying to jolt him back to consciousness.

The psychic energy she channeled into Erick's mind worked, and his eyes fluttered open.

"Hey handsome."  She said with a smile as she stood back up.  "I need you to keep Blonsky behaving, as I am going to have to release my hold on him while I disarm this mine."  She then added, as her red glowing forcefield came back in place.

"Now this is a sight I don't mind waking up to."  Erick rolled backwards on his shoulder using the movement to help prop himself up to a standing position.  Where he found the world a whole might blurrier than he expected.  Sound came and went but Erick remained focused as he stepped forward.  Not that he indicated any concern.  Especially when the clock was ticking.  Positioning himself behind Blonsky ready himself by reaching for the man's shirt to hold onto.

"I'll keep our friend in time out.  Might even give us a chance to talk.  I've just got to express my appreciation for the power nap his boys gave me."  Erick then nodded as further affirmation that Dee was good to go.  Erick wasn't the sort to let a little thing like being knocked flat on his butt shake his confidence.  As long as he could still put one foot in front of the other he would.  And missing the last few seconds or so he simply assumed that Blonsky's two bodyguards had been taken out already.  Which was at least some reprieve.

"Well, I would have been trying to pluck the secrets from his mind, but have been a bit too busy with other things at the moment."  Dee stated as she walked over toward the mine.  "Also, keep an eye out for those muscle bound athletes.  I left them behind further down the hill, but at some point they will get back up here."

With that the Englishwoman knelt down and began to examine the munition, her mind drifting back to a rather recent incident where she had disarmed another planted explosive during a trip to an alternate dimension.  As she focused and set to work, she let her hold on Blonsky slip away.

GM

Blonsky was in his early fifties, but was in excellent shape. An ex-KGB spy who now trained the Olympic Team for Russia? That needed some serious dedication, and Blonsky supplied it. Still, Erick was younger, and stronger, and Synapse could easily ply Blonsky into a lock hold for Synapse. 

"What did you do, Witch?" said Blonsky, furious at his position, pinned down by Foreshadow. 

"Some kind of mind controller? Like the sleeper?" he blurted. It was a slip of the tongue he regretted, going against all his training, but he was scared, furious, and humiliated. He clammed his mouth shut in response. 

Meanwhile, as Synapse brushed away the snow to the Mine, she took a good guess at how to disarm it. Carefully unpeeling the metal casing, and fiddling with the mechanism, the device was rendered inert. 

It took time though. And the two brainwashed Athletes would not be far behind. Even if they were clambering up a snowy slope, they were in good shape for it...

Finishing her work, Dee stood back up, disarmed mine now in hand as she turned back toward Erick and the restrained Blonsky. "So, the sleeper has mental abilities as well." She stated. "Good to know. But we are going to want to know a lot more than just that. About him and the doctor, and what exactly they are up to."

"And by the way, your little trap is no longer a threat." The young Englishwoman added, holding up the disarmed mine for Blonsky to see.

She looked back to Erick. "We should get moving, those two thugs are likely making their way back. Though I want to make sure that they are not a threat to the competitors."

GM

"The Sleeper? Nobody knows about the Sleeper. Just rumour, just hearsay...haha...but he is real, I know that..." replied Blonsky. 

"You can read my mind I am sure. So I will save you the bother. THe Sleeper always makes sure he is never seen, never heard. At least not directly. Precautions against mind readers"

"The story is, back in old USSR, they had a telepath. A mind controller who took his work seriously. Nobody ever knew if could actually control minds or if he was just a brilliant scientist, a brainwasher as you say. My guess, is he was both. He put secret agents in places all over the world. And the beauty was, they did not even know they were secret agents. But with the right trigger...bam! They became fully operational agents of Russia!"

"After the fall of the USSR, the sleeper went to sleep, as the joke went. Until our friend the Doctor revived him. "

"Him, I have met. A product of superior Russian Super Soldier Serum, from cold war. Deadly, devoted. Brilliant doctor of medicine himself. But completely stuck in the ways of communism. Not like modern Russia. We adapt, we survive..."

"THe Doctor used his only formula to create our Athletes. You see the results? Impressive, no? But useless too...serum also lethal. Not good for soldiers, but for a few weeks to bring back our glory...very good. The Doctor saw that, at least!"

Erick was absolutely livid.  He should have been ecstatic at how easily Blonsky was giving out information.   They didn't even have to make use of the human lie detector that was Dee.  Not that Erick was lacking when it came to playing close attention to others. For all that was worth at the moment he couldn't help but see red.  The callous disregard for the fellow lives of his comrades.  It was disgusting.

"Very good?  They're going to die for what?  So some past his prime has been can gladly reminisce over the good old glory days.  And you don't even have a shred of shame over the fact that you're letting these men lose their lives.  You strip them of their consciousness.  Did they even have a choice in this procedure?  You sir are a pathetic piece of"  It was at this point that Foreshadow's tightly clenched fist was barely held at bay.  "You know what you're not worth it.  I'm going to make sure to put a stop to the Sleeper and the Doctor's plans.  All of them.  The only glory that you get to relieve will be in the dreams you get from the comfort of your cold dank cell."

From behind the helmet his eyes darted up to Dee.  "Alright, so you wanted to make sure we stopped the big boys from further getting involved in the competition.  Any idea where you last left the world's least inconspicuous skiers?"

Dee listened to what Blonsky was saying, while not particularly enjoying what she was hearing.  She did not like the sound of the Sleeper at all, and in many ways the former Soviet agent sounded far too much like Headcase for her liking.  The Doctor did not sound much better.  At least they had some idea of what they were up against, although Dee wished Jasmine was here, as organic chemistry was the Canadian's area of expertise, not Dee's.

Pushing that out of her mind for the moment, she instead turned to regard Erick as he asked about the two athletes still out there.  "Last I saw them, they were down by the luge.  So I figure they are probably somewhere between here and there."

GM

As it so happened...

"<Obey! Stop!>" it was hardly a command, more of a mantra that the two musclebound Russians chanted as they clambered up the hill, ski's in one hand, assault rifle in the other. Well, one had an assault rifle. The other had a twisted piece of metal that had curved around Foreshadow's head. It looked handy as a brutal piece of crowbar like cudgelling apparatus, but if anyone tried to fire it now, they would probably blow of their hand. 

"Hey hey! What are you doing here?" yelled Edward as he sailed towards them, skis slipping expertly across the track, sweat on his brow, and his trusty sniper rifle on his back. 

"Why are there no officials here? where is everybody?" he mused, not loosing his stroke or pace, but frowning at his sister and Foreshadow. 

Crack Crack Crack! came the sound of automatic gunfire over his head. The Russians were too far to shoot accurately, but they were good shots, no doubt.  

"Then let's not keep the lunkheads waiting."  Erick tugged on Blonsky.  So as to make sure the man knew which direction they would be headed.  "From what I've seen.  I doubt they would try and flank us.  Moving in the most direct path to get their quandary.  He likely won't shut up long enough for us to take advantage and sneak up on them.  But we can at least predict their move-"

The all too familiar sounds of gunfire interrupted that train of thought.  Well I wasn't wrong...I had just forgotten.  We weren't the target.  Of course the most straight forward path would lead to him wouldn't it?  He clutched tightly onto Blonsky.  "No time to waste.  It seems the help has decided to add fireworks to our date.  We should go get a first hand view."

Dee could only frown as her brother arrived on the scene, followed instantly by the two brainwashed athletes who took a shot that came far too close to her brother for the Englishwoman's liking.

"No time to properly explain."  She shouted to her brother.  "But once again some Russian athletes are gunning for you."  She added as a warning.  At the same moment, the red field of psychic energy sprung back up around Dee as she focused back on the two athletes, preparing to try to mentally blast them into unconsciousness once more.

GM

"Wait....they are shooting at me!" gasped Edward, still skiing past them. 

"I know the Olympics can get competitive, but this isn't cricket!" he complained. For all his moaning, he kept focussed on skiing past them as fast as possible. Olympic discipline perhaps, but being shot at tends to lend a burst of speed to anybody. 

The two Russians were still clambering, slowly, up the snowy slope, and shooting intermittently. The higher ground, and cover, belonged to Foreshadow and Synapse. It wasn't long before Synapse had put both men to sleep, courtesy of her mental might. The brainwashed musclemen had certainly put up a stiff fight, however. Their minds felt like smeltered steel, completely devoted to their purpose. 

• 3 weeks later...

Foreshadow rolled forward to examine the sleeping thugs.  Your brother certainly knows how to pick dedicate enemies.  Though I guess that goes hand in hand with politics.  Reaching into the pouches of his utility belt that seems to mostly compartmentalize convenience electronics he'd reach for his zip tie handcuffs.  "So how'd you want to play this?  Call the locals to round these guys up, or take them to them ourselves?"

He wasn't particular to either result.  Although, one involved a whole lot less carrying.  It did mean they could press Blonsky further in privacy.  He hadn't met the Sleeper.  But he had seen the Doctor before, which was more than either Foreshadow or Synapse could say.  It was something that could especially be of use.

Especially if Blonsky continued to so readily to give up information.  One person could take it as a sign of surrender.  Erick for his part took it as a sign of confidence.  His assumption being that Blonsky knew that he was bested, but felt that any breadcrumbs he gave up would still lead to the two heroes finding an early grave.

Dee let out a sigh of relief when she had finally managed to bring down the two brainwashed athletes. They had certainly proven resilient. But at least Edward was safe, for now anyway. With Blonsky under control for the moment, there would hopefully be no more immediate threats to her brother. But how long would that stop this Sleeper?

Yeah, he can be stubborn about things when he wants to be. A lot like our father in that. Dee replied, her mental voice cold with the last comment. "As for this lot. I say just leave them for the authorities. Would rather not cross paths with them until I absolutely need to."

GM

A few moments later...

"<Halt!>"

Two police officers and the shuffling Sergeant K stumbled through the snow to the scene of the crime. it took a bit of soothing, and a bit of passing grubby money notes between grubby hands, but it seemed Sergeant K had strings he could pull, and was pretty slick at pulling them. 

"You have all evidence! excellent! Blonsky...the athletes....and what this is? A mine? I knew Blonsky pretty crazy is, you knowing? old communist KGB and that all, but...even I being surprised at this!" he shook his head. 

"How did he be the managing it? He is good the coach, yes, but not being the expert in biochemistry, I the thinking. Well, other peoples will the worrying about that! Now, I am off to the America! You get me special visa, the yes?"

Dee glanced over at the sound of the approaching police, a bit annoyed that they had not been able to get clear of the scene before they arrived. But then, she supposed they were bound to have shown up at some point, she just wondered what had taken them so long.

So much for avoiding the local authorities. She mentally noted with Erick. At least the police sergeant that had been with Erick was there and able to help smooth things over.

"He certainly was not working alone." Dee replied to the Sergeant’s questions about Blonsky.

GM

Sergeant K's face turned as white as snow. "Not...not alone?" he gulped, clutching his heart then his throat. 

"But...who? the KGB? The Army? The...the president?" he whimpered, the thought of the last being clearly the worst option. 

"Tell me...please! I am not the being safe! Who is it the being?" he said, shuffling his way through the snow to synapse, away from his two police guards who looked, rightly, somewhat baffled. This was Russia - conspiracies and corruption were well known. But K seemed to verge on comic paranoia. 

He whispered to Synapse. 

"Please...you can me the helping? I am not being the safe here...I is needing the Asylum. If not in America, perhaps the Great of Britain can help, yes? I tell everything! If not I come, then bang!" he pleaded, putting a finger to his temple and mocking a gunshot. 

"I can be helping you! Yes! I be helping you with whoever is the workings behind this!"

• 3 weeks later...

K already had a target on his back.  There was little risk in making him more pry to information.  What was the worst they could do?  Intend to kill him even more?  "There's apparently a big Soviet boogeyman going by the name of the Doctor.  He's responsible for manufacturing the formula that left the athletes looking as if they were born with a box of Russian wheaties in their mouth.  And is definitely responsible for the whole try and kill the wary eyes plan.  He's probably the one that would try and"  Erick mimicked a firing motion towards K.  "Well you get the drift.  That said he's a conservative bag of crazy from what it sounds like.  So taking your offer or help, any high up officials that you think could and would be hiding him would be of some help."

Erick didn't mention the Sleeper.  It seemed as if it were more sensitive information to bring up.  The ever present risk of being near the presence of a possible sleeper agent.  He hoped his precognitive senses would alert him to looming danger.  But there was no reason to poke the bear at least until he had a stick.  "That still leaves the issue of evidence.  Being a smoke and mirrors sort of affair, I suppose if a certain government official claims responsibility in preventing Blonsky from killing someone with Edward Farrington's prestige they would be able to have a much stronger bargaining chip for seeking asylum."

But, then K might also be planting an even bigger target on his face with the whole public spectacle of it all.  Not to mention security will get beefed up even more.  Which may or may not work against us.

GM

"The Doctor? Doctor Who?" pondered K, scratching his head and messy hair. 

His eyes glowed with thought for a moment, then memories....

"Wait...the Doctor....Yes...it could be...!"

"It's only rumour being, from decades in the pasts. You be the think Russia has secrets now, you should go back to the sixties! Thanks God for not the born then!"

"There was secret program, you know, after the World War? To develop soldier super serum. Stories, stories, who knows what is the true? But one story, yes, of the Doctor Zero! Developed from the Nazi experimentations being. Super smart, super strong, you be knowing of the type!"

"He was developings new serums to create more like him, but he went and has the disappeared! But now, new super atheletes, the Doctor...yes, it be makings all of the senses!"

"How to be the finding of him, though? Blonsky must be the knowing! Must get super serum from the somewhere!"

"Yes, I know the type."  Dee replied as the Russian sergeant began talking about Doctor Zero.  While Headcase certainly did not fit the super-strong, perfect physical specimen aspect of the mold, he certainly fit the other characteristics perfectly.  The young Englishwoman had been about to mention the Sleeper as well, but when Erick choose to leave him out for the moment, she went along with that decision.

"Blonsky told us he has met the Doctor before."  She added in partial answer to K's question.  "But that does not necessarily mean he knows where the Doctor is.  With Blonsky out of the picture, the Doctor might have to become more directly involved if he wants his plans for Olympic glory to come about."

GM

A little later...02:00 hours...By the waterfront...

"Damn the it! It is being cold, I am being tired!" hissed K with Synapse to one side and Foreshadow to the other. He opened his thermos and poured out some lukewarm coffee. 

Between K's knowledge of the city, and Foreshadow's vision of this site, at this hour, they had set themselves up. 

On top of a warehouse, with a fire ladder beneath them, and binoculars that strained through the dimly lit docks. 

And Blonsky, wired up by K, a crackling  voice over the radio K had with him. 

"Nobody is coming! I am freezing! Let me go!" complained Blonsky. 

"You be staying there! We have trained the Snipers on you!" hissed K back, using his own microphone. He completed the bluff by briefly using his laser pointer to shine a red dot on Blonsky. 

"Damn you! I'll get killed one way or another! Wait....here he comes...." came Blonsky's voice, somewhat surprised. 

A car pulled up next to Blonsky. A sports car, expensive looking. 

The door opened, and out stepped a tall, muscular man, well over six foot and in better shape even than the athletes pumped up on drugs that Blonsky had created. 

He had a shock of blonde hair, and wore a tight fitting red and black spandex outfit, emblazoned with the Cross and Hammer of the old Russia. 

"<What are you doing here?>" said the man in powerful tones to a clearly terrified Blonsky. 

"<This is the drop off point! We are not meant to meet! I will have to take you to the sleeper...."

"Either he's had a lot of time to pump iron.  Or he's on something that doesn't come with the side effect of death."  Foreshadow murmured as they looked at the men from the distance.  Blonsky wasn't a small man by any means.  He wasn't the most fearsome looking guy either.  But next to this man, Blonsky looked like a child.

"How close do we need to be to hear Blonsky sing?  Might want to stay out of sight long enough to reach this drop off point.  Assuming Blonsky doesn't blow it and spill a little bit too much before we reach the destination.  Y'know like the sort of thing a coward might do to save their own skin."  Erick didn't have the utmost faith in their captive accomplice.

Especially as the possibility of him getting away from sniper range presented itself.  Guns were bad obviously.  But that was what made them such a convincing argument for as why not to try running.  Even if they didn't really have one to their name.  "Or we can forgo following them entirely.  We won't have to wheels up and can move in for these two now.  I'm sure we won't have too much trouble questioning them.  Our lovely companion has a way with words so to speak."

Edited by HG Morrison