Foreshadow didn't expect the mental communication.  It wasn't his first conversation with a telepath.  But Errant set a sort of different example of what he came to expect from them.  And Dee was certainly on the other end on the spectrum from that kid at least if half the tabloid stories were to be believed.  Maybe even half that.

From what he gathered lying wasn't as useful as half-truths when it came to keeping one's secrets safe from mental intrusion.  So, he focused on manipulating just enough of the truth as was necessary.  'Not exactly crossing paths.  I'd like to think I'm more memorable than that.  During the course of my investigation into an Olympic conspiracy, I have caught sight of you from the distance.  I would say a running coincidence at best.  Makes sense now that I think about who is competing'  

His gaze turning to Edward at the end of the reply.  The statement wasn't dishonest.  He left out the details of seeing her in the hotel.  Or on his way out after his discourse with Bronski failed to produce positive results.  But all had occurred in the middle of finding out more about this super soldier business.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

"What the bloody hell do you think you are doing?" said Edward, indignant at the intrusion. "This isn't halloween or Freedom City!" he explained, standing up stiff. 

His challenge, and the mental interchange between the two heroes was cut short as, true to Foreshadow's visions, a heavy set Russian charged into Edwards appartment. He still wore that glazed, single minded focus look to his eyes. And his massive build was no different, all muscles and veins. But this man had a deep anger to his eyes, his mission set to more violence than the other athletes Synapse and Foreshadow had encountered. 

"Edward Farrington" he said through gritted teeth as he entered. "For you, the olympics is over! You should not have asked wrong questions, at wrong time, to wrong people!" he said, a cursory but functional english. 

The muscleman had no counted on Foreshadow being there. Nor on his sticks...

"May I give a second opinion on that?"  Foreshadow calmly stated.  Before the heavy set Russian could react, the hidden vigilante slammed the base of his left escrima stick towards the man's throat.  As he hobbled forward clutching his throat Foreshadow would follow up the ambush with a second strike directly onto his target's liver.  The musclebound Russians body giving way immediately after.  Focusing on targeting vital points on his target served to remedy the massive size difference for Foreshadow as the man crumpled in front of his boots.

"Well, I guess he got an invite to the Freedom City costume party."  Foreshadow quipped assuming Edward's curiosity was now sated.  However, it was that apparent curiosity that had apparently made him a target.  "I would interrogate the gorrilla.  But he's probably not going to answer with anything pertinent, and if I know anything about asking the right questions to all the right people.  I can pretty much guess that you already suspect who sent this guy after you Mr. Farrington."

Bronski.  

At Foreshadow's mental response, Dee had satisfied herself that he really was the costumed crimefighter, so she withdrew from the deeper layer of his surface thoughts, instead keeping in place for the moment only the mental connection that would allow them to "talk" with one another.  But before she could make any further response, Foreshadow's vision came to fruition, as a large Russian barged in, quickly focusing on Edward with a threat.

And then Foreshadow just as quickly acted, taking the near mountain of muscle down with almost shocking ease.  Dee watched the man crumple to the floor then glanced over at her brother.  "Really Edward, you have not been making some wagers on some of the events with shady Russians have you?"

At Foreshadow's mental mention of a name, the young woman replied back, who the bloody hell is Bronski?

GM

"Wagers? Not me, I only gamble on dogs, dice, and politics. Although it might be said the latter is comprised of the former" he quipped back, shaking his head. 

"No no, this is about those damn Russians. Talk of the village, so to speak. All was fair and square in the Olympics, but here? Have you seen them? I mean, look at this guy?" he pointed at the unconsious Russian on the floor. 

"I know him. He is a speed skater. Good, but not great. Destined to attend but not win the Olympics. Last year, he was half the size...but just as ugly. I mean, even with steroids and twenty hours a day at the gym, you don't look like that!" he protested. And perhaps he over egged the drama, but he did have a point. 

"Everybody is whispering about some super serum, or new drug. But everything comes on clean on olympic tests. So...well...perhaps I asked a bit too much, to be honest. Started making complaints and throwing some mocking statements. Must have ruffled some feathers, thats for sure. If it wansn't for mister mistery over here..." he gave a smile and a wave at Foreshadow "I would be a Russian pancake by now! probably you too!"

That was not a body build for speed skating.  That's for sure.  It seemed the super serum regiment didn't actually take purpose into account.  Though chances were those powerful legs would have gotten the job done.  Or he would have just worked over his competition.

"I have to give the Russians this they're not exactly subtle when it comes to cheating.  I suppose they never have even back during their last Olympic cheating scandal.  With all those Russian officials you would think they could just step up and just bribe someone like everyone else.  If the serum can be found, and I do believe it's real it can be used as evidence to the foul play.  It needs to be done before the start of competition.  And Mister mystery's gut tells me to  to question Anton Bronski.  Too much of a good thing and all, even patriotism can turn a man sour.  What I need from you two is to stay safe."

Foreshadow dropped to one knee placing a set off handcuffs on the unconscious musclebound speed skater's thick wrists.  Unsure of how long they held, it just had to be for a bit.  "The olympic committee will take him under consideration.  But they wouldn't force Russia to rely on its reserve team without evidence.  And they probably won't stay my allowance to walk around.  My suggestion is to call for someone to recover him."

Dee hard hardly expected her brother to confirm that he had made any ill advised bets with members of the Russian underworld, so was not surprised at his response to what had been some teasing on her part.  The evidence before them certainly supported Edward's view that something was amiss with some, or all, of the Russian team for these Olympics. 

"Edward, you should probably get on the phone with the head of security for the British team and inform them of this attempted assault so they can get up here and collect this guy."  The young woman stated to her brother.

Mean while, she continued the more private conversation with Foreshadow.  Well, I know my way around chemical formulas, but I am hardly an expert.  What I could potentially more helpful with is "questioning" this Bronski, and I do not even need to speak to him.  One possible problem however is the local security forces have me under surveillance, seems they follow too many British tabloids and it has them worried.

Foreshadow brushed his hands as he stood up.  Listening to the banter between the siblings.  More importantly scoping the area as he prepared to make haste in his exit now that the detainment plan for the thug had been set in motion in some way.  "Bit late for this.  But sorry about the door.  Didn't expect to get here first.  But all's well that ends well."  His head turning towards Dee as he responded to the mental conversation.  Wondering if there was some sort of social etiquette involved in maintaining a telepathic conversation.   

'It's what happens when you make for good light reading.  Is it true that you once took a cricket bat and...wait not why I'm here.  Listen I'd love to drag you around this place to speed up the interrogation process.  I don't even mind having to duck a bit of extra security that comes with part of the package deal.  But I'm not about to risk a public figure getting a huge target painted on her.  Not wearing a mask to make a fashion statement.'

Luckily Edward was focused on locating the number for the British security detail as Dee smirked slightly as Foreshodow mentioned her being "good light reading" and started to ask about one incident that the tabloids had embellished on a fair bit.  But she did not respond to those mental comments, instead focusing on the rest of what he had to "say."

And here I thought masks were fashion statements in Freedom City.  The young mentalist responded telepathically.  But it just so happens that I have taken to wearing a mask myself of late.  When I am not out being the subject of tabloid stories that likely make my mother cringe, I am Synapse from the new Vanguard.

Foreshadow almost chuckled at the fashion statement quip.  'That's a reveal that caught me off guard.  Nothing to make your mother cringe over that one at least.  Still, well met Synapse from the new Vanguard.   Then if your offer's still on the table, suit up.  I'm not about to turn down proper help.'  Foreshadow was quick to adjust to the information.  It wasn't as if the concept of wealth and status as the formation of one's secret identity was a fresh concept to him.  Aside from the hired babysitters, it was as natural a fit as anything else.  

"I shall be on my way then."  The sentence was for Edward's benefit, as Foreshadow stepped out of the room.  Staying just outside of the doorway as he awaited Dee's company.  He doubted very much that acceptance with her mask wearing activities were part of the package.  What with the existence of the security detail in the first place.  That would have been counterintuitive after all.

• 2 weeks later...

GM

The next day...

The air had retained its crispness, with a clear sky and a cold snap. Russian architecture, labouring under its drab history, did not particularly add to the scenery, in general, although the very old and very new shone brighter. 

It was time for Edward Farrington to compete in the Biathalon. 

And he was not alone. Karl Nevsky was up. He had competed in 2010, and was good then. Now, he had that same glazed look, complete with thighs of iron. Now, he was on track to crush everyone. 

"Look here, old gal" said Edward to his Sister as he limbered up behind the scenes. "This all stinks. Karl is good, but look at him now. Its not normal" he said. He had managed to wangle Dee in behind the scenes in the camp, as a "personal advisor" or some such other nonsense. A hefty bribe hadn't hurt - either its recipient or the Farringtons. 

He glanced nervously up at the clock. In a few minutes, they would start out, staggered. He checked his skis and gun. 

"Here's hoping I don't have an accident" he whistled through his teeth. 

Outside, in the spectators chairs

K was grumbling over his hot dog breakfast, complaining about American culture and enjoying it at the same time. He looked tired, worn out, with bags under his eyes and unruly hair, with slumped shoulders limply holding onto his mac. At least he has washed. 

"So, what now? You get me onto flight to Freedom City and we escape with our lives? How about some of that famous asylum seeking?" he asked hopefully. 

Whilst Foreshadow had a vision pop into his head. Edward Farrington skiing, and his head exploding from a high calibre bullet...

K's voice snapped Erick back into reality. But his focus wasn't on the words coming out of the worried Russian's lips.  "I'll see what I can do about the Asylum.  Might have met someone who would have an easier time granting you Asylum if you don't mind picking up the Queen's English.  But first you have to put in a little more work.  Apologies, but we're not bowing out this soon.  Besides, some people might stand there confused with the idea of me leaving this early on."  With K's security credentials he figured the man stood at chance of making it to the staging area of the competitors.  And if not there was a chance someone would still get the message even without him getting the chance to speak.

"I need to take a look around the stadium.  But you need to try and get a message to a competitor in the staging area.  Loud fellow by the name of Edward Farrington.  Tell him, that a mutual acquaintance wants him to know that a sniper is targeting him and planning on taking his shot during the race."  Erick didn't even entertain the idea of waiting for Ks response.  Immediately rising from his seat and moving to begin his search for a prime location that a gunman would take the shot from.

Eric didn't know enough about the whole mental telephone system to be positive on how to 'dial out' so to speak.  So warning Dee as far as he knew was on K's shoulders.  Alright, that's it.  Next time I'm just competing in the darn thing.  Security accreditation clearance for life.

Dee was dressed warmly, with a winter coat and gloves as she stood in the staging area with her brother.  She had originally planned to be out along the course to watch the event, but after the events of last night, she had agreed to Edward's offer to get her back into the staging area before his event. 

The young Englishwoman had kept one careful eye on the scene around them as she helped her brother with last minute adjustments and such.  When he pointed out the Russian competitor for the event, Dee fixed her gaze on the man, deciding to see if she could learn a bit more about what was going on here, as she reached out towards the man's mind, looking to plunge deep into his thoughts...

As Synapses brain hit Karl Nevsky he stiffened slightly, his eyes widening...

His brain was remarkably empty. Or, rather, full. But full of only one thing. His mission. Shooting Edward Farrington right between the eyes in the middle of the Biathalon. 

With a bit more digging, she called up his mission brief, given by Anton Blonsky, the head coach of the Russian Team. 

"Nevsky! Pay Attention! Farrington has been asking questions, stirring trouble. Defaming Russia. You are to shoot him dead in the next event!"

"Yes Sir!" snapped back the automated Nevsky. 

Blonsky didn't quite address his obedient Lackey, but muttered to himself, a monologue imprinted in Nevsky's memory. 

"It's a risk, but life is a risk. The sleeper says he can control the judges, make it look like an accident. But it will still look suspicious. I don't like it, not one bit...but the Doctor, he isn't listening. All he wants is the glory, and this is all his show...blast, this is getting ugly. But we can't turn back now..."

He was clearly irritated at the plan, and it was easy to see why. Shooting a contestant that was asking to many questions would only increase suspicion, rather than allay it. Either the mastermind behind this was foolish, or had something up his sleeve, or both. In any case, it smacked of cold war tactics rather than the 21st Century. 

Finding about all she figured she would be able to, Dee withdrew from Nevsky's mind.  Looking over at her brother, she was now even more concerned.  "Be careful out there Edward."  She said.  "I rather doubt last night will be an isolated incident.  Someone does not like the noise you made."

Turning back away from her brother as he finished his preparation, the young woman decided that since whomever this sleeper and doctor were, they had gone too far in seeking to kill anyone who might in any way interfere with their plans.  So, she was willing to intercede as well now, and do so in a way that might add a bit of embarrassment to the Russian team.

Focusing on Nevsky once more, Dee reached out once more with her psychic powers.  Only, this time she was not looking to read his thoughts, but trying to take control of his mind all together...

GM

Nevsky started off as the starter pistol rang out. Then he stopped, gripped by Synapses power. 

To the astonishment of the crowd, he took off his skis. 

zzzt! This is Dick Dickinson, reporting to you LIVE from the winter Olympics. And boy, have we got a story! I've seen some drama on the slopes, but never in all my years have I seen anything like THIS! Russian athlete KARL NEVSKY has just set off in the Biathalon, hotly tipped to win...and he HAS BENT HIS RIFLE! A remarkable feat of strength, I'll give him that. But it isn't going to help him shoot straight...

Hold on folks! NOW HE HAS TAKEN HIS SKIS OFF...and wait...wait... HE HAS BROKEN THEM IN TWO! what is happening? Has the pressure got to Nevsky? is he making some protest? The officials are looking as confused as we are. 

HOLY SNOWFLAKES! Ladies and gentlemen, if you have a nervous disposition, please look away now! KARL NEVSKY is stripping! wait..wait...HE IS BUCK-ASS NUDE! Never in all my years have I seen anything like this! Karl Nevsky is trying to complete the Biathalon IN HIS BIRTHDAY SUIT!

The officials have stopped the race...and I don't blame them. They are trying to approach Nevsky, but he isn't listening...wait...ow! he just batted them away like flies! he is running across the snow and nothing is going to stop Nevsky running this course!

This is Dick Dickinson reporting LIVE from the Winter Olympics!

"Well, that certainly was an interesting turn of events."  Dee stated to her brother as he returned to the staging area after the Olympic officials had stopped the race, a small smile on her face.  She still had Nevsky in her control, just to be sure he did not come back and try to carry out his orders by hand, waiting until security personnel restrained him.

Not only had she learned a bit more about what was going on with the Russian athletes, but she had disrupted another assassination attempt on her brother by those behind the tampering.  She had also done so in a manner that with a bit of luck would prove embarrassing to those behind the conspiracy, and possibly even make them worry whether similar such incident would occur with other enhanced athletes.

Now she just needed to be sure Edward got someplace safe until his event was rescheduled and then find Foreshadow and let him know what she had learned.

GM

A rather flustered Russian Official, short, trim of body and trim of moustache, clipped black hair and black eyes, jumped up to Edward amidst the commotion. 

"Farrington? Edward Farrington?" he spluttered, head spinning. "The Olympic Committee of Russia apologises for the problems that have been temporarily stopped the event" he said, feet tapping along to the beat of his passable English. "We are pleased to the announcement of the restarting of the event. We are the asking all competitors to start lines, please!" he said, trying to smile and pass of the problems like it was every day an Olympic Athlete stripped naked and streaked along the track. 

"Problems are entirely under controlling. We would not wanting the good name of Russian organisation to be made into the bad, no?" he said with emphasis. Someone had given him a severe grilling. Heads would be rolling, and he wanted his to remain between his shoulders. 

"Please, coming to the Start Line?" he said politely to Edward, who shrugged. 

The official gave an apologetic shrug to Dee. "Much apologies. The man in the question went crazy. Now under sedation" he smiled, acting out a heavy injection to his arm. 

GM

At that point the scruffy and sweating K came bumbling into the little group. 

"You...you is the Edward Farrington!" he said, stumbling and grabbing hold of the athlete. He was sweating profusely, and his breath smelt very slightly of vodka. He was soaked in exertion and anxiety. dripping adrenaline. 

"I have warning for you from mutual acquaintance" he explained. "You know him? Blond guy, tall, being built like the brickhouse?" he asked, putting his hand above his head to show the height of Erick. 

"He is the saying your life is in the danger!" he said. "Just like mine, but more of the so! Someone trying to shoot you..." he explained, miming a rifle in his hands, tracking the imaginary horizon and recoiling from a shot. 

"Bam bam! Bullet is in the head! you dead!" he finished melodramatically. "Shoot you in middle of race! and middle of face!"

• 2 weeks later...

Erick had caught sight of the comedy act on the slopes.  Breaking into audible laughter as he acknowledged that the mental breakdown might have had some outside assistance.  That was just beautiful.  Olympic highlight reel footage. All that was missing was silly dance.  However, until Edward was actually moving down the slope, Erick wasn't about to get comfortable.  The prevention of his vision hadn't technically been confirmed.  Not just yet.  As the event began to resume, his search for a sniper's ideal vantage point would continue.

Well it's not a trip overseas until I've made some enemies.  Come out, come out wherever you are.    He was on a clock every second wasted brought him closer to when the figurative starting pistol was fired.  Hopefully K, was able to pass the message along to one of the two siblings.  Even if Edward Farrington didn't come across as the type to back down from a challenge.  He was hopefully not so hardheaded so as to make himself an easy target.

That was Erick's job.

GM

A rather flustered Russian Official, short, trim of body and trim of moustache, clipped black hair and black eyes, jumped up to Edward amidst the commotion. 

"Farrington? Edward Farrington?" he spluttered, head spinning. "The Olympic Committee of Russia apologises for the problems that have been temporarily stopped the event" he said, feet tapping along to the beat of his passable English. "We are pleased to the announcement of the restarting of the event. We are the asking all competitors to start lines, please!" he said, trying to smile and pass of the problems like it was every day an Olympic Athlete stripped naked and streaked along the track. 

"Problems are entirely under controlling. We would not wanting the good name of Russian organisation to be made into the bad, no?" he said with emphasis. Someone had given him a severe grilling. Heads would be rolling, and he wanted his to remain between his shoulders. 

"Please, coming to the Start Line?" he said politely to Edward, who shrugged. 

The official gave an apologetic shrug to Dee. "Much apologies. The man in the question went crazy. Now under sedation" he smiled, acting out a heavy injection to his arm. 

Dee focused on the Russian official with a sly grin at his apologies.  "Oh, I did not really mind at all."  But even as she allowed her amusement in how well her little ploy had succeeded, she felt gnawing suspicion about how eager he seemed to get the race started once more.  So she reached out with her telepathy toward the man's mind to see what she might be able to learn about who had ordered him to get the race back on track, wondering if Blonsky and whomever was pulling his strings hand managed to already put into play some sort of backup plan to Nevsky.

GM

Inside the officials head...

What a motherland of all screw ups! Our best athlete, running naked across the pitch!!! Heads will roll, for sure. Just gotta make sure its not mine! Putin will be livid!

Gotta put the blame on Blonsky! Hey, he may be good, but better him than me!!! I just gotta try to clear all this mess up! Act like nothing happened...make sure Russia can still put on a good show and this gets forgotten...yeah, like how are people ever going to forget this? they will be laughing over it for the next a hundred years!

I bet it was Blonsky anyway, everybody is talking about how he is driving his team crazy - literally. Drugs, brainwashing...I don't want to know. Last guy who wanted to know, he had a "car accident"...

Get this guy Farrington and his crazy ass sister back into the game...fast! smooth it over...nothing happened....nothing happened....

Nevsky has enough sedatives to kill an ox...and he was as strong as one too...what the hell was Blonsky pumping into him! He nearly trashed the medical station. Gotta a six man swat team on him now, they say...and chained to the bed...

Dee withdrew from the official's mind, not finding anything to suggest the man had immediate knowledge of the assassination attempt on her brother.  Just as she did, the Russian that she had seen at the hotel the day before came up to her and her brother and started blathering about being sent by a mutual friend to warm Edward that there would be an assassination attempt. 

While it was something of a relief to the young Englishwoman to realize that Foreshadow was out there somewhere looking into this, it also heightened her sense of paranoia that perhaps she had not been able to prevent the attempt on her brother's life after all.  Glancing over at Edward, she spoke in a low voice.  "If you are going to run the course Edward, please be careful.  Don't forget last night, someone certainly has it out for you."

GM

"That your brother?" asked K when Edward trundled off to the starting line. It seemed that Russia was press on and try and portray its efficiency despite the startling events. 

K was a scared animal, but astute enough to smell something was up, eyeing Dee suspiciously. "My friend, you know him? Tall, blond guy, like in movie Hollywood, yes?" he asked. "Something crazy happened to Russian. How the Americans say...Malfunctioning Wardrobe?"

"Your brother in danger. We help, yes? Russian team not happy, not happy at all...all life is being in the danger!" he said, seriously, tugging on Dee's clothes to drag him to Foreshadow. 

"We needing plan to bring exposure to Blonsky and team. Then you take me to America and granting political Asylum, the yes? I not want to have..." he put his fingers to his temple and gave a mimed shot, imaginary brains being blown out of the other side of his head. 

"Yes, that is my brother."  Dee replied, almost absentmindedly as she watched Edward move back to the starting line for a brief moment before she began scanning the area around them, looking for Blonsky or anyone else that might seem suspicious. 

She then glanced back at the Russian police officer as he began to try to guide her to where she could meet Foreshadow.  "Yes, that is certainly something worth avoiding."  She commented when he mimed being shot in the head.  While her feeling of paranoia was heightened at the moment, she recalled this man being attacked by two Russian athletes at the hotel, so, for the moment, was willing to take his word at face value.  So she began to follow after him.