GM

The Manager checked the identification and his own records. 

"Ah yes, I see you have a reservation" he replied in excellent English. "Welcome to the Emerald, Mr. Sloane. And..your...bodyguard" he smiled at Sergeant K. "I can understand you taking precautions, of course, with your wealth and the particular and unfortunate problems that mar this Olympiad. I can of course assure you that our security systems here are world class!" he said, the hint of an upturned nose at the somewhat scared and unprofessional looking K. 

"I appreciate your reaction to the events, and apologise for any inconvenience" he said, in response to the critique of the place. He believed Erick, but he became defensive and irritated when challenged, rather than frightened. "Please let me send up a bottle of Champagne to your room, courtesy of the management" he smiled. 

"The 2011 DeVigny, I think" he smiled. 

Erick new that year and producer. The worst, and cheapest Champagne in the last decade, courtesy of unusually inconvenient weather in that year, and a series of mismanaged production. Stock prices had fell in response. 

And of course, the snooty manager knew that Erick knew. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"All the same I can assure you he too is world class.  So with such a potent combination of class I should be as safe as can possibly be."  Erick didn't care for alcohol.  Not that he had any complaints over the taste or its effects. But offering up even the smallest bit of control is how people end up being replaced with robots or some other such nonsense.  Though a good glass of wine could still punctuate an important event.  But this was not a matter of alcohol.  It was one of veiled social combat.  The insult was not veiled when one is handed the Champagne equivalent of sink water. 

He could have tried to turn it around by playing to the man's ego and getting back on his good graces.  Making sure he wouldn't be on the management's bast side for a long few weeks.  But even negative attention was still attention, Erick could use to make sure the Hotel was on high alert in case some random roided up Olympian made a pass for his room.  "Oh no need to trouble yourself.  I would hate for you to put yourself out of your way and offering up your best champagne to me."

Cognizant of contesting who could be the bigger jerk would not get them anywhere he turned to K.  Continuing the bodyguard act.  <"Well then let us be on our way.  I'll need you to make a sweep of the room.">

GM

The manager raised his eyebrows in disbelief, but begrudging acceptance. 

Sergeant K was a battle hardened cop from the streets of Russia. He was not a small or weak man physically or mentally. But the thundering power of those two men, plus a general background paranoia was enough to break his bravery. 

""He is your bodyguard?" sniffed the manager. "Then I will double the security of this hotel immediately!" he snooted, breaking off to go back to reception. 

Sergeant K just sneered at him. 

"Ignorant fool. He doesn't know anything. I know when I am dealing with a few crooks or mafia. This is another league" he explained. "How I wish I was ignorant of the whole thing. Now, I am a target..." he sighed. 

"But thank you for saving my life. If it wasn't for you I would be toast. I just don't understand why they broke off and started fighting each other...I guess whatever drugs they are on have pickled their brains..." he shrugged, not convinced but without better explanation. 

"Listen, the info I got is from the coach of the Russian Downhill Ski team. And if you think I'm scared, you should see him...he thinks the Head Coach of the Russian Olympic Team is the man to blame, but who knows for sure..."

With things under control in the lobby and the hotel manager focused on the guest that seemed to have been in the center of the disturbance, Dee focused her attention to getting checked in. The young woman was a bit curious about what could be going on with those brainwashed bruisers. But for the moment, she kept that curiosity in check.

Soon she had completed checking in and had her room key. A bellhop brought her luggage up to the room, storing them in the closet. After giving him a nice tip, she was then alone. Glancing around the room, it was a quite elegant, but in a far more formal style than Dee preferred. The Englishwoman smirked slightly, as she wondered if Russian security forces had taken the time to bug the room. Whether they did nor not, she was not going to be overly concerned at the moment.

Instead, she walked over to the king sized bed and flopped down on the covers, deciding to get a bit of rest before the opening ceremony tonight.

GM

Later that day...The opening ceremony...

Erick had enough spare cash to buy K a ticket from the touts loitering outside the Games. It wasn't cheap. mind, but neither was Erick. 

The opening ceremony was suitably splendid. The most expensive ceremony ever, apparently. Even if one of the snowflakes didn't open. Four olympic rings was one short. 

The parade of the olympians was were K perked up. He had relaxed somewhat in Ericks company, but was still on edge. The Russians - or at least some of them - looked in phenomenal shape. The same abnormally powerful musculature. 

"Clean to all testing. Bribes maybe? More likely they have some juice in them that can't be detected. Or it juiced them up, and is now underctable. Who knows? I'm not a biochemist...but look at them!"

He did have a point. They had that same thousand yard brainwashed stare, oblivious to the crowds, and that same mighty physique. 

"And there...that him... the Head Coach..." he said, pointing to the man. He was an ex-olympian himself, a cross country skiier and rifleman. A tall man, in his fifties but still in good shape, although next to some of his juiced up olympians he looked almost tiny. He wore a smirk of confidence in his face, and waved a Russian flag furiously. 

"Anton Bronsky. Apparently was an army man, all that snow and mountain stuff. Hard as nails, and a card carrying communist. Never a more patriotic soul in the motherland" shuddered K. 

"He is the key to getting answers. But hell knows how to get to him....this place is crawling with Security. Last thing Putin wants is a terrorist attack to spoil the fun..."

Meanwhile...

Dee's seat was not so far away, within earshot even. She had spotted at least one security guard keeping tabs on her, and the man sitting to her left did not seem particularly engrossed in the ceremony, keeping his eyes shifting now and again to her...

Dee was wearing a warm winter coat as she sat watching the opening ceremony for these winter games. This pageantry was not exactly her favorite part of the games, being mainly a way for the host to show off. But, it was also part of the athletes' Olympic experience, so she was willing to attend to help support that. Besides, it was not like there was much else to do while the opening ceremony was underway.

So, she could stand to sit through the showmanship and long lines of marching athletes and look forward to finding some party taking place afterward.

As for her shadows, the young Englishwoman paid them little attention for the moment. Having them watching was annoying, but not a terrible inconvenience.

Erick was dressed for the weather with a tan quilted coat that had a corduroy collar.  A brown and orange striped scarf wrapped tightly around his neck.  Underneath he had a comfortable set of jeans and a wool purple shirt.  His hands had a set of aged brown leather gloves of noticeably less expensive quality, giving off the appearance of being merely a purchase of necessity.  In reality the gloves were a gift, and Erick place sentimentality over fashion.  Keeping a firm smile while clapping at the scene in front of him Erick would play close attention to the information K was relaying.

Russian bratva put the organized into organized crime.  To make an enemy of the Russian Mafiya was like going to war with the Soviet Union.  So when K said he held these guys as more dangerous than such a criminal empire Erick paid attention.  His eyes dead set on Anton Bronsky.  <"A patriot you say?.">  Erick could work with that.  Although, he had his suspicions any interview between the two of them would be done with a mask over his face.

GM

Erick and Dee watched the triumphant and the spectacular opening ceremony until things began to wind down after the finale. It was already Dark, and a chill had hit the air. The crowds and athletes were beginning to wind up and move out. 

"Now is our chance" whispered K to Erick. "Lots of people around, good to hide in. Security is still tight, but we may be able to get to Anton...the problem is, so might the bruisers he hangs around with. If we can just get to the Olympic Village..." he muttered, frowning and disturbed. The risk was great - but there was no way out for him. 

Meanwhile...

Dee watched her very own brother, Edward Farrington, in the line up. The united kingdom had a small but present team, not excelling in winter sports, but not absent them either. Unlike their sterling performance in the summer Olympics last year, the UK team would be lucky to grab a few medals at all, coming up against the power houses of Russia, Scandinavia, and America in the events. Edward seemed keen enough though, lapping up the ceremony and his march with pride and happiness. 

The man to Dee's left applauded with all the rest, and brushed against Dee, giving her a long look. 

"Coming to Russia for the games, or something else, Mrs. Farrington?" he asked. 

"No need to be worried. I am Gorodetsky. Secret Police. We are nothing like the old KGB" he smiled. "But you understand, you have a reputation in England, a wild card. Enough for us to keep eyes on the Farrington family. Politely, if you will. It may not be just our eyes on you too, Mrs. Farrington. Lots of eyes about this Games". He actually smiled a little, vaguely. 

"Getting into the village wouldn't be too difficult. We just have to steal the right passes. It's how long we can stay unseen."  As a former athlete, Erick knew the Olympic accreditation system well enough. Security into the village was marked by some sort of security status. The tags weren't likely to have pictures and were most likely colored lanyards with an abbreviated pass attached. Only the highest accredited personnel could get into the village. That mostly meant athletes, and not even some of the security could pass the security check required. What that also meant was in theory the inside of the Olympic village had far less security than the outside as most security guards weren't allowed inside.

Or at least that was his working theory. Russia could have changed up the pass system for entry out of security concerns.  Despite the casual dismissal of how dangerous it was. The task was actually a very risky endeavor. The last people to break into the olympic village that Erick recalled was the group that ended up murdering an Olympic team. It was the reason for modern security protocols. And it meant anyone caught breaking in wasn't likely to see the light of day if caught.  He doubted anyone would believe their pleas of not trying to be the next Munich Murderers.

"But alright K.  Let's hide in the crowd.  Getting to him before reaching the village is more appealing to me.  If his muscle gets antsy, I'll deal with them."  Erick whispered back.

Dee was able to spot Edward as the UK team came into view. While she did not always get along with her older brother, she had to admit he had put in some hard work to get here, so she applauded him along with the rest of the UK contingent, even if she did not add any extra enthusiasm due to the familiar relation.

When she felt the nudge from beside her, the young woman glanced over with a scowl, which remained in place a few more moments after Gorodetsky introduced himself. The Dee allowed it to slip away, offering the slightest smile before become a bit more neutral. "Well, you certainly seem more polite than the KGB of old to introduce yourself Mr. Gorodetsky." She replied.

"But I am here just for the games." She added. "See down there, that is my brother in the UK contingent. While I might not always get along with him, I am more than happy to cheer him on as he competes, along with every other athlete here."

"So, you and the rest of the secret police are more than welcome to watch if you like. And anyone else that wants to as well. Being followed and under observation is hardly something new for me."

Even as she was speaking with Gorodetsky, Dee heard some conversation about trying to get into the Olympic Village to find someone. Glancing past the secret police officer, she saw Erick Sloane and his "bodyguard" talking nearby. They were the two at the center of that scuffle in the hotel lobby, and now they were wanting to get into the village?

GM

A bit later...

The crowds were dispersing, the seats awash with the detritus of food and drink. Floodlights cast an eerie glow over the dying or dead celebrations of the opening ceremony. 

K and Erick had followed the crowds and then peeled off. K had done his homework, he knew the layout of the entire stadium. He was actually involved in the security detail, and he could wave authority when questioned. 

Antony Bronsky was shielded in the centre of four huge Russian Atheletes, with the blank stare of single minded focus. They were drawing comments and suspicions from the other athletes, even some of the Russians of lesser stature. 

Edward Farrington followed jovially behind, just fifteen feet away, giving them a raised eyebrow. The parade back to the Olympic Village was a less structured affair, with all the nations mingling to a greater or lesser extent. 

Gorodetsky had been silent for the rest of the opening ceremonies, so Dee had gone back to ignoring him.  Once they ended, he had disappeared into the crowd, leaving her alone, although there was likely to be someone keeping an eye on her, if from a distance.

Dee started on her way through the crowd as well, keeping an eye on Erick and the Russian man with him, wondering what they were up to.  Again she had a temptation to pry into one of their minds, but resisted the urge for the moment.  Until she had something a bit more concrete, she was not about to start digging around in other peoples' minds. 

As they moved out into the crowd of people that were making their way back towards the Olympic Village, Dee spotted the small knot of large Russian athletes that had the same blank, single minded stare as those two in the hotel.  She frowned for a moment, wondering if this had something to do with some of the rumors about illegal enhancement drugs being used by some athletes.

Spotting her brother nearby, the young woman sighed inwardly as she moved towards him in order to have a more convincing reason to be in the area.  "Hello Edward."  She said in a rather neutral tone.  "Enjoying your time so far?"

The closer they got to Bronsky, the sooner Erick had begun to do the least attention grabbing thing he could do.  The Russian American athlete would begin to sing. < "Wide is my motherland, of her many forests, fields, and rivers! I know of no other such country where a man can breathe so freely.">  The lyrics were to a famous Russian patriotic song.  Erick wasn't sure if his voice was likely to fill out an arena.  But it didn't have to captivate an entire audience.  Just one man after all.

Erick's footsteps edged towards Bronsky as he continued to sing.  Hoping being a devout patriot meant a genuine desire for companionship by those of seemingly similar mindset.  <"From Moscow to the suburbs, from the southern mountains to the northern sea a man stands as a master over his vast Motherland.">  Foreshadow continued with the song the entire way hoping for the best.  Sheesh, next time I'm just competing in the Olympics and saving myself the trouble with Olympic village access forever after proper screening.

He accepted the fact, that even with his singing routine Bronsky could recognize Erick and possibly even take a negative view of him.  If he was as much a zealot as it took to go as crazy as K made him out to be.  Parents who defected from the Soviet Union might make him look like a traitor.  But walking a tightrope was nothing new.

GM

"Hi Dee" smiled Edward. The young lean man gave her a beam of warmth. He was a creature of two worlds, a foot as an aristocratic son of there austere father, and a foot in the modern world and modern people. Edward just seemed to get on with everybody, rarely saying a bad word. Only when it came to their sister did he frown and despair. 

"Thanks for the moral support. Looks like I am going to need it with these Russians, eh?" he said, nodding towards the man-mountains. 

"Clean as a whistle, so they say. But it looks like they could sweat steroids. Beats me..." he shook his head but gave a grin. "Just got to hope they don't aim with all the muscles quivering!" he winked, mocking up the Biathalon shooting stance. Dee knew Edward was good, a olympic shot and a good skier. But with the Scandinavians and Russians fielding some truly outstanding athletes, his hopes of medal glory were dim. He knew it, but was enjoying the trip anyway. 

GM

Meanwhile...a dozen or so yards away...

"<Assassin!>" yelled Bronsky, his gaze swivelled to Erick. 

There were some gasps and startles at the word, a very loaded word in the nervous security landscape of these Olympics. But Bronksy did not refer to a grenade or rifle. 

"<How dare you murder such a song, on today of all days!"> he shouted, his retinue of four beefed up Russians impassive. 

"<Wait! I know you - Erick Sloane!>" he said, raising an eyebrow and changing to a very good English. "American, yes? What are you doing trampling into the Olympic Village and ruining a Russian hymn with that awful voice of yours? Come to try and put us of our stride? Sledging? It wont work on my boys, I can tell you!" he smiled, gloating, and indicating the completely unfazed expressions of the four athletes he walked with.

Erick too was momentarily startled by the yell.  He wasn't the sort that was easily surprised.  But that could have gone the worst possible way.  "Put you out of your stride?  No, of course not.  I wish you only the best.  I have come to support these pillars of physical prosperity.  These titans of men are stupendous sights to behold.  From athlete to athlete I am simply in awe of the marvel in front of me."  Erick was laying it on pretty thick, making sure now that he had Bronski's attention that he not lose it also.

"There is no sledging going about.  The universe just wasn't so kind as to bless me with a talent for singing.  Unfortunate I know.  But, it has given me an eye for talent.  And you my friends are talent.  Bravo.  For these few weeks my surname might as well be Lutrova still and not Sloane."  The last sentence was hard to swallow.  With an internal apology to David Sloane ringing in the back of his mind.

GM

Bronsky was not best pleased, sufficiently irate not to notice K. 

"I have my eye on you, American!" he said, pointing at the very organ to emphasise his point. "I have come here with the finest Russian team ever to compete. And still, slanders, whispers, gossip, even from my own countrymen! I am not in the brightest of moods. Not for your singing, not for your sarcasm! Anyone who gets in my way...."

He put a golf ball in the palm of the nearest Athlete, who, with a nod, squeezed, his hand and neck contorting in supreme effort. 

Then, the hand was turned, and golf ball dust slipped into the air. 

"If I see you again, it won't be a golf ball..." he chuckled, then signalled the four men to move to the Village. 

Edward was the only member of Dee's family that was willing to call her by the name she chose to go by, instead of her birth name.  It was one of the things that allowed her to stand him far longer than many of the rest of the family.  Of course Dee had issues with Edward's devotion to following along in their father's footsteps, but this was hardly the time or venue to be repeating old arguments.

Especially not when there was something strange going on.

"Hmm, yes, they do seem to have some serious development going on."  Dee stated, examining the four Russian athletes gathered around the Russian coach for a moment or two.  She was about to address her brother again when another scene centered on Erick Sloane began to unfold, as the Russian coach turned his attention to the gymnast.  When the coach had one of his "athletes" squeeze a golf ball into dust, Dee's eyes narrowed slightly.

She was rather certain something was going on with these huge, apparently brainwashed athletes.  And it seemed likely that this coach was dead center in whatever it was.

Erick didn't react to the threat with any hint of fear.  Masking whatever disappointment Erick had by examining the status of his well groomed nails.  It seemed Erick would have to go about getting information the hard way.  A prospect that sounded all the more appealing after spending a few minutes talking to the guy.  That was your chance Bronski.  Don't blame me, said it yourself.  Next time it won't be a golf ball.

"Sorry K, it looks like this lead is a dead end.  If something else comes to you perhaps we can give it another go.  But, I think we should get back to the hotel room.  Keep you from being out in the open when you don't need to be after all."  Erick, planned on slipping away from K at some point after seemingly retiring for the night.  If Bronski wasn't willing to talk to Erick Sloane, he would have to answer to Foreshadow instead.

Still Erick couldn't say Bronski wasn't helpful.  His musclebound apes crushing a golf ball emphasizing the muscles weren't just for show.  And more importantly he spoke of whispers even from his own countrymen.  Not everyone was on board with winning the dishonest way.  If he didn't have full government support, then there were only so many closets to hide the skeleton in.

GM

Later, at the Olympic Village...

Erick had given K a befuddled slip at the Hotel, giving him ample time to change into the one and only Foreshadow! The Dark streets of Russia were no problem for him, the mask of Foreshadow showing up the blackest of streets and alleyways. He was even guided by his foresight to the Village itself, visions of the place flowing into his mind, and the quickest and least obtrusive way too. 

The Village itself was also home to Synapse, making her way to see her Brother. In his minds eye, Foreshadow could see this coming. 

And, too, he could see trouble ahead! One of Blonsky's brainwashed men kicking down the door to Edwards appartment. 

Knock Knock...

"Hi Dee, come in! The old KGB rotters giving you no trouble I guess? They have been plaguing me ever since I landed!" sighed Edward, letting Dee in. 

"Big day tomorrow, cant stay up to late. Qualifiers of the Biathalon. I should make it through to the final, but you know there is some seriously stiff competition there. Come in, come in. I'd offer a drink, but this is the Olympic Village!" he laughed. 

"How is sister? and the old man?"

Dee made her way into her brother's apartment in the Olympic Village, glancing around at the rather Spartan room. She gave him a small frown as he mentioned not being able to be up late. "How dreadfully boring. Here I thought you might be able to provide some introductions to some of the other athletes you have met. I am sure there are more than a few parties going on somewhere here."

She then got a bit more serious as he mentioned some of the competition for his event and then asked about their father and sister. "Well, you have most likely spoke at greater length with father more recently that I have. Though he seemed at least somewhat pleased that I would be here to see you compete." She answered. "As for Susan-nothing has really changed. She has some good days, but most of them are a struggle."

Foreshadow being a creature of rooftops found himself easily maneuvering his way to the Olympic village.  Armed with the gift of foresight he made haste to find.  Seeing fit to try and arrive before Bronski's goon could.  Hoping to be the worst kind of welcoming committee that the ape like man could ever expect.  

It wasn't that surprising he was willing to try and rub out the competition.  It was clear cheating on the global stage was well within Bronski's moral compass.  Whatever views Foreshadow held on transhumanist progress did not override that as an athlete he felt the line in which the spirit of competition stood had long been crossed.  Let alone any international consequences if this entire fiasco came to light.

And now he was willing to show more of his true colors.  Sending the hired muscle to break the remaining competition.  Clearly patriot wasn't the right word for such methodology.  He was simply a madman.  One that Foreshadow would put a stop to.

Sneaking his way into the hotel, Foreshadow ascended the stairs.  Moving with a purpose until he was on the other side of the door which his vision had led him to.  Squaring his body the hooded acrobat would kick the door in.  Fully expecting the sight of the goon ready to beat down the competition.  Only that wasn't what he found...

Edited by HG Morrison

Dee had just finished talking about Susan, but before her brother could respond, there was a loud crash at the door as a costumed figure kicked in the door and rushed into the room.  "What the bloody...."  Dee stated as she quickly took note of the figure.  It only took a brief moment to recognize the costume as one of Freedom City's costumed crimefighters, or at least someone dressed as Foreshadow.

But Dee was not really one to take things at face value, a practice reinforced by her experiences since she had reluctantly become part of the new Vanguard.  So as the figure seemed to come up short, the young Englishwoman reached out with her mental powers to try to read his surface thoughts and find out what exactly was going on here...

When Dee probed the mind of Foreshadow his focus was still wholly on the vision he had seen.  The images repeating over and over in his head.  Allowing for Dee to get some sort of glimpse to what drove him to break into the room into the first place.  The fact that he was currently only focused on preventing the thug from harming Edward, didn't make privy information such as the conversations with K leading Erick there in the first place.  But the psionic nature of his gift of foresight made the transfer of information from his precognition all the more natural.

Stopping to stare back at Dee.  There was a moment where his mind lingered on the words.  Her again?  Before Foreshadow quickly waved the thought away his focus returning to why he was in the room in the first place.  Raising his fingers to his lips in a shushing motion towards Dee.  The hooded acrobat then pulled out his multi purpose escrima sticks he would post against the door.  Aiming to ambush the goon as he entered the room.

A slight look of surprise came to Dee's face as she found Foreshadow repeatedly going over images of another of those massive muscle bound Russians breaking in the door to Edward's room.  The image seemed a bit strange, almost like a slightly grainy movie playing in the man's head. 

Her surprise was only increased as by his own somewhat surprised thought of "her again," but she was quick to pick up the single for her to remain quiet as the costumed hero turned to secure the door once more and drew out two fighting sticks.

Dee quickly reached up to cup a hand over Edward's mouth, to keep him quiet as well.  While doing so, she sent a message back to Foreshadow.  Me again?  When exactly have we crossed paths before?  Her mental voice carrying the same crisp British accent as she normally spoke in.