The Year of the Snake (IC)

Thevshi

GM

Back on the other rooftop, the armored martial artist seemed briefly unsure what to do, as they were far away from the sorcerer, and thus could not do anything to try to assist him. But then they spread out along the roof, in possible anticipation of being transported to his aid as they had been lifted up to the roof earlier.

Meanwhile their leader continued to focus his attention on Bloody Mess. Just as the private investigator's vision began to clear and he recovered from the armored man's last attack, the martial artist was coming at him once more. This time the armored man launched a quick front kick, followed by backhand strike with his right hand, all of which was the lead in for a powerful palm strike which he delivered perfectly into Mess' solar plexus.

The grey suited man was trying to remain on his feet, as he faced Myrmidon and continued to keep his hold on Giang. Realizing the odds were very much against him if he remained where he was, the man disappeared once again in a puff of white smoke, appearing back on the other rooftop amid the various armored martial artists still over there. The "serpent" that was holding Giang flew back across the open space between the two rooftops, to once again come to hover near the grey suited man.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sorcerers' tactical retreat beyond his normal engagement distance caused the clone hero to change tactics. The heavy armor gave way to a more streamlined set, complete with what appeared to be a jetpack, which moments later roared to life. Myrmidon rose above the rooftops, a cobalt blue contrail extending behind him as he accelerated towards the sorcerers' latest position. Maneuvering thrusters a few scant feet before he plowed into his target, and his blade slashed downward at the sorcerer.

He needed to end this and fast, especially as whoever was engaging the leader of the martial artists looked to be in over their head.

Myrmidon's attack impacted squarely with the sorcerer's forcefield, but this time, the glowing golden energy buckled under the attack, and the clone's sword struck him squarely, managing to cut through the man's grey suit and at least partially into the flesh below.  The force of the blow lifted the man off the ground, sending him flying backward some twenty feet, where he landed hard on the rooftop, clearly injured and dazed.  The glowing barrier that surrounded him seemed to flicker slightly, then vanished altogether as he lost his concentration on maintaining it.

Up in the air nearby, the golden "serpent" made of mystical energy also flickered before vanishing as well, releasing Giang.  The Asian teen reacted quickly to her sudden freefall, flipping over to land gracefully on her feet in a low crouch.

Standing back upright, she extended one hand back towards the grey suited man as he tried to push himself upright.  There was no visible indication that she had done anything to him, but a moment later the grey suited man's arms buckled and he fell flat on the rooftop, unconscious. 

GM

The armored martial artists gathered around Myrmidon and Giang all seemed to react with shock as the grey suited man falls to the ground unconscious.  There is a brief moment in which none of them move or otherwise act.

Then two of the butterfly sword wielding men rush forward to attack Myrmidon.  The first rushes in straight at the armored clone, slashing with both swords which are easily dodged by the man's intended target. 

But even as the first attack continues a short distance onward, the second arrives, leaping slightly into the air off a piece of mechanical equipment and bringing his twin short swords down and scoring a hit on the clone soldier's right shoulder. 

This guy is kicking my ass...

Bloody Mess wiped sweat and blood from his nose, and gritted his teeth. Even his pumped up, resilient body was feeling crushed. Bones and joints ached and he felt the swelling of bruises all over his body. His breathing hurt, and he ruefully contemplated the possibility of a cracked rib. 

I'm damned if I'm going down he roared to himself. 

"That all ya got, bozo?" he spat at the man in the golden armor, his vision throbbing and his attention concentrating down like a laser beam. He was only marginally aware of the fight's swirling around him. 

"I've sucked up more than that, my friend. I am not going down, ya hear me? Let's just see if you can take what you dish out..."

With that he leapt into the man, his fists whirling like clockwork, spinning massive blows into the man, a stamp, an elbow, a massive uppercut. He threw all caution to the wind, focussing all his energy and skill into sinking this man, once and for all. 

GM

The whirlwind of attacks that Bloody Mess sent towards the armored martial artists proved to be too much for the man’s defenses.  While the golden armored man blocked several of the blows and elbows, he missed the massive uppercut that Mess finished with, which proved to be a critical mistake.

*WHAM*

The blow echoed across the dark rooftop, as the armored man went flying backward from the powerful hit.  One of the other martial artists was unable to get out of the way, as the golden armored man slammed into the second man hard.  The second man was sent sprawling onto the rooftop, completely unconscious.  But while the golden armored man was clearly dazed, he was also not completely out of the fight as he managed to get his feet back under him after knocking over the other man, trying to regain his senses.

But even as Bloody Mess looks at the results of his attack with satisfaction, two of the sword wielding martial artists rush forward to engage him.  The first one misses completely with his twin butterfly swords, as the experienced fighter manages to sidestep the attack.  But the second manages to score a hit with the sharp edge of the matched swords.

Elsewhere on the roof, the two remaining martial artists wielding staves rush towards Giang, each from a different direction.  The Asian teen tries to account for both attackers, easily dodging the first to arrive.  But while doing so, she briefly loses sight of the second, who manages to land a solid blow onto her upper back.  This time, the thin sheen of water swirling around the teenager does not stop the full brunt of the impact, and Giang staggers slightly forward, hurt and apparently dazed.

The four remaining martial artists armed with swords split into two pairs, one moving towards Myrmidon, the other towards Bloody Mess.

Myrmidon rolled with the flying strike to his shoulder intentionally dropping off the edge of a nearby building.  The jetpack roared to life again, sending the helmeted hero hovering slightly above and to the side of the now freed Tsunami. A cascade of blue signaled the armor changing again, the aerodynamics shifting back into the assault armor as he dropped next to the heroine in a crouch.

Sparing a quick glance at this compatriot and seeing the slight glazed look to her eyes, Myrmidon risked placing his free hand on her shoulder. << Tsunami. I need you to focus as enemies still remain. >> His gaze was directed at the lesser martial artists, who would not stand under the deluge of her powers. << Clear them out and we will deal with their remaining master. >>

At Myrmidon's words and touch, Giang's eyes refocused as she glanced over towards him and gave a slight nod.  Taking a quick glance around her at the various armed martial artists still on their feet, the Asian teen marked their locations as she took a slight step forward.

Once again she swept both hand out towards her side, making a slight turn to cover the entire area needed.  Ten quick bursts of water shot forth as her hands went, streaking off in various directions towards their intended targets.  A pair of the water jets briefly curved around Myrmidon, turning back in as the shot towards targets that stood past him.

Giang's attacks proved unerringly accurate once more, as they each struck their intended targets.  The force of the blasts was enough to knock each of the martial artists off their feet, sending them sprawling unconscious around the rooftop.

Now the only opponent left standing was the leader of the martial artists, who was still shaking off the effects of Bloody Mess' previous attack.

Damnit that guy is still standing...sighed the Mess to himself as he shrugged away the sword cut, barely noticing it. 

"I ain't got time to bleed..." he explained, in a soft voice. His legs, swollen with power, pumped him up into the air again, to land right by the Golden man who refused to go down. 

"There's plenty more were that came from!" he laughed, fighting his own uncertainty with the pugilistic rage that had set in. He had fought plenty of bigger, faster, and even stronger guys as a kid, and that spirit lifted him now. 

A one-two-three set combination of fists, standard boxer's fare, masked a street fighter's kick to the guys knee, a nasty, crippling blow that hurt, disabled, and unbalanced all at once. Sure, the Mess knew how to box. And he also knew when not to box, and fight dirty. 

Myrmidon quickly zeroed in on the only remaining hostile still standing which was the leader of the martial artists. Who at the time had their hands full with whatever good Samaritan or off-hour hero that had decided to help. << It is time to end this. >> He said, casting a quick glance over to Giang before launching himself at the unaware target. Myrmidons' blade slammed into the mans lower back, in an area where his armor was not meant to take that sort of strike.

With any luck this would disable to man and allow him to extract Giang back to Claremont, where he would have to report this incident to the Headmaster.

Myrmidon's blow stuck solidly, knocking the martial artist leader onto the rooftop.  The man briefly seemed like he was going to push himself back up, but then collapsed unconscious.

Giang had watched as John had leapt to help finish off the last of the agents sent by her father.  Glancing quickly around the rooftop, the Asian teen satisfied herself that there were no more evident threats.  Taking a deep breath, she made her way over towards John and the stranger who had been fighting the martial artist leader, though she was still not entirely certain who he was or whether he might be a threat as well.  For the moment she was willing to accept that he was at least neutral, but she would be on her guard.

"Thank you for your assistance."  She stated as she drew near, waiting to see how the man would react.

His physique slowly returning to normal - or at least, as normal as he could get, Bloody Mess dusted off his knuckles and, with a moments concentration, stopped the bleeding from the sword cuts. They stung all the same. 

He looked, all rags and blood and bruises, a bloody mess. 

"Hey man, I had him, ya bozo!" he said with a frown and a cracking of knuckles at Myrmidon. 

"I had him" he repeated, less loudly and to reassure himself. 

"I was robbed!" he explained, shrugging his shoulders in annoyance and irritation, before turning to the young gal. 

"Hey missy, we been' lookin' everywhere for ya. My name is Freddie, although people call me the Bloody Mess. Me an' my partner, we trying to help your dad find ya. Looks likes he was right to be worried!"

Grabbing the wrong end of the stick and shaking it like a dog holding onto a dirty rag came easily to the Mess. 

As Bloody Mess introduced himself and stated why he and his partner had been looking for her, Giang's expression went from generally neutral to hostile.  "You were sent by my father as well?"  The Asian teen asked, taking a slight step backward from the man.  "If you truly are trying to help him, I do not understand why you fought these men, who were also sent by him."  She gestured around at the unconscious martial artists nearby.

"But regardless, I have no intention of returning to Hong Kong.  I do not wish to continue fighting, but I will if you try to stop me."

Myrmidon did not give any response to the disheveled detectives tirade on finishing his fight. If he had it was hidden behind the blank facade of his faceplate. He did however take a protective step forward, placing the majority of his bulk in the way if he unwisely decided to make a grab for Giang. A split-second after he announced that he was employed by her father, twenty eight inches of nano-ceramic reinforced steel was pointed at the mans' throat.

<< Another insensate body located here would not be amiss. >> His head slightly shifted to the left, indicating the man he just left comatose. << As they were working for your employer as well. >>

Edited by Semi-Autogyro

The Mess scratches his..well, messy ruffled up hair, confused by the shenanigans. 

"Wait..what? these guys were hired by your father too? What the hell? They don't seem to friendly, missy. If I was you, I'd be wanting a word with you old man..."

Despite his bruised and battered body, he never backed down from a fight. Even so, he wasn't that inclined to grab the young woman. For starters, he didn't know what he would do with her once he had. 

"So why does he want ya anyways? You run away from him? If he sends a coupla' swords and ninja dudes after ya, I can understand why. Ya did a good number on us - hid yerself good and proper. But yer old man is gonna find ya sooner or later, missy. Ya gotta settle things up ya know?" he explained - well, as well as he could, with a shrug of his shoulders and a lopsided grin just under his lopsided broken nose. 

Giang felt her confidence return as John moved to generally place himself between her and the man who had identified himself as "Bloody Mess."  But the man's apparent naivety was still somewhat confusing, assuming it was not just some act.  At least it appeared he would not just continue fighting to try to take her, but still likely required some answers to just let her leave.

"You appear to know very little about your employer."  She stated, her tone still cold.  "These men were not 'hired' by my father, they serve him, as part of a criminal organization he oversees on behalf of another.  Of course that aspect of my father is not known to the general public, in which he is generally perceived as a successful businessman."

"I am well aware that eventually I will need to face my father, and most likely my half-siblings.  But there is much I need to learn about myself before I am prepared for such a confrontation.  As for why he is searching for me, I did indeed run away from him, because I decided I did not wish to be a part of his plans of ambition."

"Yer Dad's a crook?" muttered the Mess, scratching the stubble on his wide jaw and throwing away the remains of his tattered vest. 

"Wait, yer running away from yer Dad?" he said, snapping his fingers with slowness. 

"Which means we gotta pro---"

"There she is!" called out the Hound, panting heavily as he pulled himself up the last few steps of the fire escape. Panting almost like a dog, to be honest. His tongue hung out just a little to deeply. He was out of breath, having run back to find out what the hell was happening now the fighting seemed to have stopped. 

"We got her at last! Boy, we have looked all over this town for you, miss!" he heaved between ragged breaths. 

"Finally, we can take you home!"

Giang watched silently as Bloody Mess started piecing together what she had told him.  Either he was a very good actor, or he truly was a bit slow and had been duped into looking for her by some of her father's agents.  But just as understanding seemed to dawn on Mess, another voice called out over the dark rooftop, causing Giang to shift slightly into a defensive stance as she looked in the direction of the voice.

The man that appeared from the fire escape did not look like a serious threat, he was panting rather heavily after the climb.  But Giang knew very well that looks could be deceiving.  When he began speaking, the Asian teen concluded that he was the partner that Bloody Mess had been mentioning.  She relaxed her stance a little, but had a cool look on her face as she responded.

"I just finished telling you partner that I have no intention of going anywhere with the two of you, least of all back to my father."  She stated plainly.

NPC

"What? Why? We been searching all over this damn town! We even got shot at, we ain't..."

The Mess slapped a heavy hand on his partner and put a finger to his mouth, indicating he should listen to what Giang had to say. 

"...gonna be giving you to him" sighed the Hound, as the words sunk in and he pieced together the puzzle far quicker than his partner had. Truth was, it was a relief, it resolved a nagging irritation that something stunk about the whole job. 

He took out a piece of paper that he had been given all those days ago. The contract. He crumpled it up, took out his lighter, set fire to it, and threw it away carelessly. 

"Bang goes that pay day" he grumbled. "And we probably got some highly trained ninja assassins gonna kill us now, for not doing our job and letting you go. What a crummy week..." he moaned. 

• 2 weeks later...

Giang felt a sensation of relief as the newcomer quickly grasped the situation and, like his partner, did not appear to like the fact that he had been duped into working for her father.  The Asian teen watched the burning piece of paper a moment after Hound had tossed it aside, she then looked up to regard the two private investigators, her expression a bit more friendly now.

"I am sorry the two of you were falsely brought into the employment of my father.  I cannot honestly say what his reaction might be to your failure to complete your agreement with him, but it may well be he will have no further concern about you.  While you may not have delivered me to him, it would appear you helped lead his agents to me," she gestured around at the unconscious martial artists and the man in the grey suit, scattered around the rooftop.  "It may be that was all he expected of you."

• 2 weeks later...

NPC

"Yeah we can but hope" said Harry, a trace of bitterness in his voice as he lit up, then stamped out a cigarette.

"And I really hope" he said dejectedly. 

"Come on Freddy, we got a lot of talking to do. Which I hope you will leave to me rather than your blabbermouth. I'm going to have to smooth some serious creases with our charming employer. That, and pay for some bullet and shuriken proof glass to the Agency" he said. 

"Ma'am, it was nice to know you, and I sure hope you get yourself out of whatever mess you are in. If you ever need us, call the Bloodhound Detective Agency in the Fens. We don't normally do charity cases, but seeing as your mess is now our mess, and saving you will reduce the probability of a poison blow dart in the neck, you can count us in"

"You can't count us in any way, Kid, Harry is just foolin' around!" yelled the Mess, giving two thumbs up. 

Harry paused a bit, and gave Gaing a wink. 

"Yeah" he said, simply, before slapping the Mess on the back and walking off. 

• 3 weeks later...

Myrmidon had sheathed his weapon after the duo proved to be non-hostile. This was not his matter to discuss, and stayed out of the conversation and kept an watchful eye on the assorted comatose attackers. When the others had finished and started going their separate ways he finally spoke to Giang. << You do not need to explain yourself or the situation to me. However, you will need to fully inform the Headmaster as the ramifications of this and future events could put others beside yourself at risk. >> 

Myrmidon gestured towards the west. << Our transportation is in that direction, I will catch up after securing these men and policing their weapons and effects. >> The clone hero started turned in the direction of the insensate sorcerer, but glanced at the water-controller from over his shoulder. << I regret that our outing was disrupted. It was very enjoyable before the snafu occurred. >>

Giang watched as Harry and Freddy made their exit, relieved that the pair had proven to be generally good hearted individuals who had been duped by her father's agents.  The teen glanced down at the business card Harry had given her for a brief moment before putting it into a pocket.  While she doubted she would ever have need of their services, she was quickly learning that things could change quickly.

As Myrmidon finally spoke up, she looked over at her classmate, nodding slightly.  "Headmaster Summers is fully aware of my past and family connections, but you are right, I do need to inform him about this incident."  Giang paused a moment before adding, "seeing as you have been at least somewhat dragged into my problems, I believe it is only fair that you know what this was all about.  Though, that explanation would be best away from here."

The Asian teen nodded as John indicated the direction of where he had parked his motorcycle, indicating she should start to make her way there.  As the clone hero stopped and commented his regret about their outing being disrupted, Giang gave a small nod.  "I am sorry it was interrupted as well.  Given this interruption, this is likely the last public event tied with my past and culture that I will likely attend for the foreseeable future."

Myrmidon busied himself with intertwining the sorcerers fingers together, afterwards applying a goodly amount of gaffing tape to bind the casters' hands. << If you care to share that history, then I will listen. >> He said, as he gagged the man from speaking with more tape before applying the more normal plastic cuffs to the arms and legs.

When Giang mentioned not being able to attend the things he wanted to he paused, unnaturally still before standing and folding his arms as he faced her. << No. Never let someone or something compromise who you are. There might be another incident like this yes, but you are now aware of your pursers intent and presence. As long as you take precautions, you can limit the impact of their interference or even seize the initiative and take the fight to them. If you are concerned about others, then tell them. No one should dictate your freedom of choice other than yourself. >>

Giang had just been about to start towards the parking lot where John's motorcycle was waiting when the clone hero spoke up about not letting this incident and the fact her father was still actively looking for her not dictate her life.  The Asian teen was quite for a brief moment before she replied, "In large part, my not letting my father compromise who I am is why I am here and he is sending hirelings after me."

"But you are right, it was only a matter of time before my father's agents located me once again.  I shall have to think on how to prepare for and counter any such future attempts such as this."  With that, Giang started off across the rooftop to a fire escape to climb back down to the street and make her way to the parking log.