Blod in the Air (IC)

“Oh this little thing I picked it up later, from those ghastly little Germans.†She gestured around her “No I’d arrived on a world of scientific wonder of beautiful cities of glass and flying machines. As soon as I arrived I was detained by the Science Police who bought me to the Science Council. They were warm and welcoming, providing me with all I could ever want. But I was informed that I couldn’t ever attempt to rebuild the device.†She looked both wistful and sad at her memories of the event. “It was a wonderful place, but I missed my home, family and friends. So I started to in secret rebuild my device.â€

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord Steam gave a sideways glance at El Heraldo and Blod. The signs were not looking good.

"And, pray tell for what purpose is this marvellous device? other than the noble cause of advancement of the sciences, and the glory of such a feat of engineering?"

Building things in secret is not a good sign at all...But who could guess at what had happened? The Science Police...The Science Council...

He found himself drumming his fingers on the table, full of eagerness to know more, although he strongly suspected he would not particularly like what he was to see...

“Well the initial experiment was for the advancement of science, but once I arrived at in this new world I was banned from continuing my experiments. They feared drawing attention from other more hostile worlds. They wouldn’t even risk sending me home, though they knew how. So it was a lovely place of peace and harmony, but it was still a cage.†She paused for quite some time whilst she drank some Champagne “My only choice if I wished was to go home was to build the device in secret, and I wasn’t allowed access to the equipment I would need to build the device. So I had to resort to stealing what I needed, not easy in a world with such scientific wonders. It seemed however that I had a talent for such things.â€

Lord Steam nodded, as the jigsaw started to slot into place. The obvious question was the device - what was it? why was it. There were weapons in this dimension, and, he supposed many others, that could rip a planet asunder. And "devices" could, to.

But another thought struck him. Why the enticement? Clearly Madam Vapeur - whoever she was - had thought to bring him here, and quite possibly his two aeronautical companions too. Why?

"So tell me, Madam" he started "much as I appreciate the fine calibre of work you have done, why invite us to be your witness?"

“Ah yes I suppose I do on a bit too much. Well I managed to complete my dimensional device and return to my own world. But after spending a few months on another world my mundane existence seemed well mundane.â€

“I tried wondering world for a while, that’s where I picked up this little thing.†She waved her hand around at the ship “But after the challenge of my daring escape even this seemed to pale in comparison. It’s rare to meet people who can truly challenge intellects like ours. But then I hit upon an idea, I assume you’ve read the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?â€

"Some" replied Lord Steam, a little uncomfortably. He had not yet absorbed all the literature of Earth Prime, but he had devoured a multitude of classics. He was a fast reader, and had an astonishing memory.

The stories of Sherlock Holmes were ones that had drawn his eye. Gripping yarns, and a central character he could personally relate to.

"The adventures of Sherlock Holmes? I take it that is whom you are referring to?" he asked politely.

"But I interrupt, please continue!" he said, settling back to hear her words.

So far Blodeuwedd had kept quiet, but she kept an eye on everything that was going on in the room. So not only did she notice, like the others, the subtle motion that Madame Vapeur made with her hand, she also saw the Avian Butler slip out of the room. She leaned in and whispered to Subito.

“Did you see that, she sent the Avian off for some reason? Best be ready in case anything happens.â€

By now Madame Vapeur was pacing the room, making big extravagant gestures with her hands.

“Ah yes Sherlock Holmes. It’s has been greatly exaggerated since they were first published but many think he’s defined by his ultimate foe, his intellectual equal. I’m talking of cause of Professor Moriarty.†She stopped at a seemingly random point and looked straight at Lord Steam “My plan was to find a Holmes to my Moriarty.†She held a hand to her chest “Though I see myself more as a Irene Adler…â€

The seemingly casual gesture hadn't struck the stocky teen as out of the ordinary for Madame Vapeur. Certainly from what he had seen and heard of her she seemed the sort to enjoy posturing and gesticulating, a desire he well understood and empathized with. Such physical expression thus masked its intent to him, and the disappearance of the butler slipped his notice entirely, so focused was he on her story. When Lord Steam had glanced anxiously at the young Claremonters he had nodded slowly, apparently at the tale.

Cerys' whisper caught him quite unaware, and he just managed to keep himself from starting when her voice tickled his ear, though even then it was almost pleasant 'Y'know, she's kinda- Clean thoughts, Herald ...I wasn't-! Of course not' he glanced quickly over at her, muttering quickly "No, I didn't see that. Was that what it was for? Huh. I'll get ready to fight if she's gonna ambush us and listen in case they're gathering outside" he leaned back in his chair, frowning at the table, trying to listen for the tell-tale flaps of heavy wings, thuds of stealthy feet...

Lord Steam sat back. It was becoming clearer. Did this woman wish to match wits with him? It would be something he would enjoy, of course. But the fact that he was floating miles above the ground in a position of distinct disadvantage was not something he savoured.

It appeared she had outmanuevered him, by playing to his curiousity.

He noticed the sign, his attention focussed on her, but nothing else.

He was aware of the sweat on his palm, as he tapped his cane. He was aware of his pistol, tucked away in his waistcoat. He was aware that this woman had just turned into a gas, and that neither weapon would be likely to harm her in such a magnificent form.

Outplayed...but not yet beaten...she is vain!

"I doubt Irene Adler was so charming or handsome!" he said, waving his hand and giving her a sideways stare of admiration. "Or could have achieved so much! you are positively disarming, dear lady!"

She picked up a aviators jacket for a nearby hat stand and slipped it on, before leaning on a convenient oversized umbrella.

“I suggest a challenge. The Chesterton Collection has leant an American museum the fittingly named Lockwood Diamond. I’m going to try and steal it tonight, I’d like you try and stop me. Your little friends can join if they want.†She pointed at Subito and Blodeuwedd with the point of the umbrella.

“But I know what you’re thinking you’re going to stop me, well I’ve thought of that…†she looked around the room in a wistful manner, the three couldn’t help but notice three Avians making their way into the room “…It a shame really liked this airship, but need must. I’ve placed explosive up on the gasbags, I don’t know about the Cressida but Vickie is filled with explosive Hydrogen. You have 5 minutes to escape before the ship explodes. Me I’ll make my exit now. Au revior.â€

With that she stamped her heel hard causing a cunningly hidden panel to open dropping her out of the bottom of the airship.

I should have seen that one coming...cursed Lord Steam as he saw the trapdoor.

"Ideally, ladies and gentlemen, I would like to take the opportunity to examine this marvellous ship for clues and the like. However, it strikes me that I would like even more, to carry on living. And it appears the latter desire would be best served by avoiding being blown up. In other words, a suggest a speedy departure!"

He sat straight up, not neglecting his half full glass of wine, and downed the delicious vintage in one gulp.

"Away! to the ship!"

As their host departed through the floor, Subito leaped clean out of his chair in an attempt to stop her with a cry of "You won't get away with this Madame VAPEURRRR!", sending it crashing against the wall and himself sprawling to the floor, missing her by several feet. Jumping back up, he glanced around hurriedly from under his black curls at the Avians nearby, his hand over his rapidly beating heart as the enormity of their peril suddenly crashed onto him. Quietly and urgently he said "Guys, you run, I'll keep them off you. I'm tough enough that this thing going up in smoke won't hurt me as badly as you two!"

• 3 weeks later...

"I'll try to keep them off you! O Dama Azul, lend me your might!" he cried shutting his eyes as a flash of golden smoke and blue light swirled around him, and he emerged from the cloud as El Heraldo!

Quickly darting up into the air of the dining room over the Avian guards near the door, he took a deep breath, and let it out in a roar that caused the backwash of wind to blast the cups, plates and teapot clean off the table to shatter against the wall. Landing among the scattered fallen guards he glanced over at the other two "Quick, head for the ship and leave the guards to me! You pair are in more danger than I a-!" he stopped, looking at the floor as an idea struck him. He pointed his Banner at the hatchway through which their opponent had just vanished "I could break that open, fly you both to the Cressida. What do you think?" he asked, steeling himself as the Puerto Rican teen turned his attention back to the guards in case they made any move to attack the Welsh agent or English detective

With a flurry of feathers the three Avinas where thrown around by El Heraldo’s blast of air with a decidedly inhuman squawk, but they quick recovered using their wings to help rebalance themselves. They swiftly made their way back toward the young hero relying on only their fists to attack El Heraldo.

Unlike there mistress they were less inclined to use witty retorts and banter instead relying on shear fury in their attacks. They weren’t particularly skilled by the flurry of fist and wings was difficult to follow and two of them managed to connect solid blows with El Heraldo.

"If man was meant to fly, Vishnu would have given him a magnificent bronze wings powered by an internal steam engine!" replied Lord Steam, acutely aware of the vast distance to the earth.

"Hmmm! that gives me an idea!" he said, a metaphorical gaslight springing into being above his head.

"But perhaps another day!" he interjected, as he pulled out his revolver and backed off. It seemed that El Heraldo was more than a match for the Avians, but...they could fly, he could not, and he did not want them keeping him from the safety of Cressida.

He fired a pot shot at one, a customised rubber coated bronze bullet designed for mercy. He had no particular wish to kill, unless absolutely necessary. He was a detective, not a soldier.

With a surprised sound not unlike a squawk the Avian stuck by Lord Steam mercy bullet was bought down in a flurry of feathers. The other two still seemed to be determined them to stop the heroes.

With some grace Blodeuwedd leapt across the table, drawing Dyrnwyn as she did. She landed near Lord Steam the eldritch flames of the sword casting a soft blue light over them all.

“The corridor would be our best means of escape, they should limit the number of them than can attack. Of cause it will limit us a bit, but we have the advantage of ranged weapons.â€

04:59:54:00

Driving powerful fist into the flank of the winged man as he dashed out into the narrow hall El Heraldo called back to Blodeuwedd with a nervous laugh "You're talking about me, right? I am kind of like a bazooka!" he laughed anxiously, keeping a sharp eye and sharper ear out for the powerful forms, heavy tread or strong wingbeats that would signal the approach of more pawns in Madame Vapeur's dastardly game. His footing almost slipped and he steadied himself against the vibrating wall as a rumble passed through the airship, and for a moment he suffered a terrible sensation of vertigo as he thought of the horrible drop that awaited them...

'What is she planning...why is she doing this?!' he raged internally, the only outward sign besides an angry scowl a tighter grip on the Banner as he ran.

Heraldo made some progress into the Airships corridors, but two Avian’s still blocked his path. His passage into the corridor managed to floor one of them but the other still stood.

The Avian looked into the room at the other two heroes, but determining that he couldn’t get past Subito he instead made a slash at the young hero, but his attack did not harm at all.

That wasn’t the only problem they faced further down the corridor three more Avains were preparing themselves, carrying rather strange looking weapons.

"I don't like the look of that!" shouted Lord Steam, as the three Avians starting and their curious weapon. He couldn't quite make out what they were holding at this distance....

"Rather vexing" he continued "but I doubt those chaps have our finest health in mind!" he concluded.

"First things first!" he added.

He fired his revolver again, another hiss of steam kicking out as the mercy bullet, almost silent, sped on its course.

Another of the Avians when sprawling to the deck, his weapon clattering to the ground with a loud clatter. The other two closed ranks without much concern for their fallen foe. They seemed ready to use their weapons on the heroes at any moment.

Blodeuwedd on the other hand had a little catching up to do, which she did with a little style, she dived and rolled into the corridor. As she came up she threw out a series of knives towards their foes, she’d misjudged thing however and the knives when wide of the target.

04:59:48:00

Quickly looking over at the new guards, Heraldo suppressed a hiss of anger. Rushing through the air with a trail of gold he slammed his fist straight into the stomach of the hairy flyer, yelling angrily "Your ship is about to go down in flames! Cease this foolish attempt to impede us, and save yourselves!" as he darted away from the man, hurtling down the hallway, his senses telling him when every rivet burst or bulkhead began to grind and crush!

"You two, I am very seriously considering just picking you both up and getting us all out this impending inferno!" he shouted back to Blodeuwedd and Lord Steam "We have to catch that wretched woman!" he added, snarling Madame Vapeur's name under his breath.

• 3 weeks later...

The Avian’s struck by Heraldo was sent sprawling to the deck, stunned by the force of the young heroes blow. The other Avian still standing didn’t seem fazed by the attack, instead she raised the wondrous weapon she was holding and pulled the trigger.

With a massive hiss and a cloud of steam the weapon fired off a massive bolt of steel at high velocity. The Avians had timed her attack perfectly, catching Heraldo as he passed by and point bit deeply into his toughened flesh.

Beyond the teen hero the corridor seemed empty, but before them was still the docking port where they had entered the Vickie.

"By Vishnu!" proclaimed Lord Steam, eyebrows arched at the steam powered cannon. "I'd like to get my hands on that!"

Seeing the weapon hit home on El Heraldo, he corrected himself.

"Point taken!" he quipped. "I'd like to avoid that getting its hands on me!"

He dashed forward, weaving left to right in the hope that his sprightly dancing to and fro would make him hard to take aim on. He was quick and nimble, and indeed presented an erratic target.

"But perhaps I had better dismantle it first..." he said, more to himself than anybody else, as he eyed up the mechanics of the lethal weapon.

Moving up quickly beside her colleagues Blodeuwedd knew she couldn’t quite reach their adversaries in time. So with her off hand she drew a series of her specially designed throwing daggers.

At the last minutes she crouched down and sent the daggers flying towards the standing Avian, before standing back up and continuing to move towards the Avian. The daggers flew with unerring accuracy and bit into the woman’s flesh causing her to squawk in pain.

“Make sure the docking port is clear Heraldo, I’m sure we can deal with these two.â€

The bullet struck Heraldo like a hammer, knocking the wind out of the patriotic paragon and sending the world reeling around him. He fell onto his free hand, every breath labored as stars exploded behind his masked eyes, the sharp ache in his ribs horribly ominous. In hindsight, the attack wouldn't have been so shocking if he hadn't become so used in such a short time to practically waving away the Avians' attacks.

After several seconds of painful confusion, his ears were filled with the humorously bird-like squawk of the woman who had shot him, followed shortly by Blodeuwedd's crisp command for him to keep their escape route clear. 'No, I can-! Victory, Herald, requires every soldier to play their part ...Alright, fine. They're awesome, they'll be okay' He staggered to his feet, expelling the last of the bullet-induced cobwebs with a flash of golden light and snapping a jaunty salute to the Welsh agent, giving her a lopsided grin as he shot off reluctantly for the docking port in a blur of red, white, gold and blue!

Landing with a thud on the metal floor, he stood ready in the circular port for any attack! With a look of grim determination, he tensed..and suddenly looked nervous

"Maybe I should have opened this door first?"