Conventions

Dr Archeville

My college loans get paid off next month, and to celebrate I'm going to a convention, something I've not done in a decade (and that one was plagued with problems). I'm also going to be wearing a costume for part of it ('cuz I figure "Why not go all-in?").

So I thought I'd make a thread where folks can share their 'Con experiences, offer tips & tricks and dos & don'ts for getting around and getting the most out of a 'Con, and any other advice or recommendations. Have any of you been to a con, or plan on attending one this year? Any particularly good or bad memories or stories to share? Tips on attending panels, dealing with vendors, getting autographs, foods/drinks to stock up on or avoid like the plague, making friends? Costume/make-up tips?

Be sure to get enough sleep. Particularly if you're driving to and from the con. Falling asleep behind the wheel is Very Bad.

Take care of your personal hygeine while you're at the con; there's too many con-goers who reek to high heaven, and you don't want to be one of them.

You should eat reasonably well. You don't want to subsist entirely on [insert name of Junk Food of Choice] and [insert name of Soft Drink of Choice].

It's helpful to have a 'native guide' -- a friend who's been to that convention before, preferably more than once, and therefore can offer helpful advice on what's good or not good.

If there are interesting sights outside the hotel, in the general vicinity of the con, consider taking time off from the con to see some of them.

Decide how much money you want to spend in the Dealer's Room before you set foot in it, and stick to that budget.