Life Knight (PL14) - Sandman XI (Silver)

Player Name: Sandman XI

Character Name: Life Knight

Power Level: 14 (180/211PP), effectively PL 12

Trade-Offs: -2 Defense / +2 Toughness

• Large: -4 Defense / +4 Toughness
    Small: +1 Attack / -1 Damage/Effect, (Defense Toughness is PL 14)
    Tiny: +2 Attack / -2 Damage/Effect, (Defense Toughness is PL 14)

Unspent Power Points: 31

Progress To Gold Status: 61/90

Older version seen here.

In Brief: Biokinetic hero getting back on his feet again.

Alternate Identity: Wesley Knight (birth name)

Identity: Secret

Birthplace: Tunnel Hill, Alabama

Affiliations: Knights of Freedom (defunct)

Family: Marlon Knight (father, deceased), Marie Knight (mother, deceased)

Description:

Apparent Age: early twenties

Ethnicity: African-American

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 190 lbs

Eyes: black (green in hero form)

Hair: black

He is a nice looking guy. His features are not too round or sharp. He's fit and athletic. His muscles are not bulging, but they are defined. His hair is done up in thick, well-manicured dreadlocks. They are long enough to reach his shoulder blades. On his chin he keeps a short cropped goatee. His skin a dark brown tone. His arms, neck, back and upper chest have various tattoos he has collected over the years. He almost always seen wearing an a-shirt, loose fit cargo jeans and sneakers.

He has an "alternate form" when he does his heroic work. He gains two or three inches on his height. He gains a lot of muscle and his build is much more muscular. His eyes turn a bright green. He loses any shirt and shoes he has, though the pants remain. His body glows with a soft golden light.

Power Descriptions: He uses his biokinetic energy to protect himself from blows and sicknesses and to help him heal faster (Enhanced Constitution). His defining power is his mastery over life energy. It lets him control living things systems directly or indirectly, even turn them into other living things! He and the affected some times glow different color aura depending on what is done (Life Control).

History: Wesley grew up in a small southern town. His life was not easy. His was the only black family in the town, and the residents did not take kindly to his skin color. In an unrelated incident his parents died in a car accident. This lead Wesley to one act of pure rage that he had been bottling up for years, crippling someone. That put him in prison. When he finally came back they were waiting for him! They tried to lynch him! But his mutant powers kicked in and made the lynchers die. He decided to get out of the town and go to Freedom City. No one would know him there.

Wesley intergrated to the city slowly, feeling his heroic oats he adopted a hero name. "Knight", but then again, who knew that was his last name here? He started up his own body art shop (originally just tattoos and piercings, but more when he felt confident enough with his powers) and made some friends along the way. And over the next few years things were a rollercoaster of ups and downs. It comes with the package of being a hero and a person. Though in December of 2010 he was swept away from this world to another dimension where he battled a well-intentioned, but evil version of himself that used his powers to make the world a better place. He was gone until October 2011. He lost a few things while there, though he made it out alive and was not sure of the fate of his alternate self. One thing he did pick up, to distance himself from the villainous Knight, was a slightly different codename. The people of that world knew the hero as the Knight of Life. Eventually he shortened it to Life Knight.

Personality & Motivation: Wesley is a down-to-earth type. He's polite and respectful of others and is an amicable guy despite having a rough life. He never seems down about anything. He is an all around nice guy with genteel southern manners. He's quick to act in the face of danger. He is a hero because he doesn't want anything that happened to him happen to anyone else. He knows this is a lofty goal, but that doesn't mean he can't try.

Powers & Tactics: The most common tactic is to inflict his enemies with maladies and aid his allies. If the maladies don't work on the enemies and he needs to go on the offensive, he can change shape into something dangerous and effective.

Complications:

Abilities: 6 + 6 + 6 + 2 + 4 + 0 = 24PP

Str 16 (+3)

Dex 16 (+3)

Con 16/38 (+3/+14)

Int 12 (+1)

Wis 14 (+2)

Cha 10 (+0)

• Large (Growth 4)

Str 24/+7, effective Str 51 w/ Super-Str

Con 42/+16

Small (Shrinking 4)

Str 12/+1

Con 38/+14

Tiny (Shrinking 8)

Str 8/-1

Con 38/+14

Combat: 24 + 20 = 44PP

Initiative: +3

Attack: +12

Grapple: +15, +18 w/ Super-Str

Defense: +10 (+10 Base), +5 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -7

• Large (Growth 4)

Attack +11

Grapple +25
Defense +9 (10 Base, -1 Size), +4 flat-footed
Knockback -12

Small (Shrinking 4)

Attack +13

Grapple +12
Defense +11 (10 Base, +1 Size), +5 flat-footed
Knockback -6

Tiny (Shrinking 8)

Attack +14

Grapple +6
Defense +12 (10 Base, +2 size), +6 flat-footed
Knockback -5

Saving Throws: 0 + 5 + 6 = 11PP

Toughness: +14/+3 (+14/+3 Con, +0 [Other])

Fortitude: +14/+3 (+14/+3 Con, +0)

Reflex: +8 (+3 Dex, +5)

Will: +8 (+2 Wis, +6)

• Large (Growth 8)

Toughness +16

Fortitude +16

Skills: 48R = 13PP

Acrobatics 7 (+10)

Craft (artistic) 9 (+10)

Knowledge (current events) 4 (+5)

Knowledge (life sciences) 4 (+5)

Knowledge (pop culture) 4 (+5)

Knowledge (streetwise) 4 (+5)

Language 1 (English [native], Latin)

Medicine 3 (+5)

Notice 8 (+10)

Sense Motive 8 (+10)

• Large (Growth 4)

Intimidate 0 (+2 [includes +2 size])

Stealth 0 (-1 [includes -4 size])

Small (Shrinking 4)

Intimidate 0 (-2 [includes -2 size])

Stealth 0 (+7 [includes +4 size])

Tiny (Shrinking 8)

Intimidate 0 (-4 [includes -4 size])

Stealth 0 (+11 [includes +8 size])

Feats: 11PP

Accurate Attack

Acrobatic Bluff

All-Out Attack

Challenge (Fast Acrobatic Bluff)

Defensive Attack

Luck 4

Power Attack

Quick Change 1

Powers: 22 + 58 = 80PP

Enhanced Constitution 22 (to 38/+14) [22pp]

Life Control 25 (50pp effects; Power Feats: Alternate Power 8) [58pp]

BE: Flight 3 (50 mph / 500 feet per Move action; Power Feats: Move-By Action, Subtle) {8} + Growth 4 (Large) {12} + Morph 4 (anything, +20 Disguise; Power Feats: Covers Scent, Precise) {14} + Shrinking 8 (Tiny; Power Feats: Normal Movement, Normal Toughness) {10} + Super-Strength 3 {6} {8+12+14+10+6 = 50/50} "shapeshifting"

AP: Confuse 12 (Extras Range [Perception]) {24} + Emotion Control 12 (Power Feats: Mind Blank) {25} {24+25=49/50} "neurological control"

AP: Fatigue 12 (Extras: Range 2 [Perception]; Power Feats: Sedation, Variable Descriptor [biological attacks]) {50/50} "biological control"

AP: Healing 12 (Extras: Action [standard], Total; Power Feats: Persistent) {49/50} "healing"

AP: Mind Control 12 (Extras: Alternate Save [Fortitude], Conscious, Duration [sustained]; Power Feats: Mind Blank) {49/50} "body control"

AP: Nauseate 12 (Extras: Range 2 [Perception]; Power Feats: Variable Descriptor [biological attacks]) {49/50} "biological control"

AP: Paralyze 12 (Extras: Alternate Save [Fortitude], Range 2 [Perception]; Power Feats: Variable Descriptor [biological attacks]) {49/50} "biological control"

AP: Stun 12 (Extras: Range 2 [Perception]; Power Feats: Sedation, Variable Descriptor [biological attacks]) {50/50} "biological control"

AP: Transform 12 (living to living; Extras: Duration [Continuous]; Flaws: Range [Touch], Unreliable [5 charges]; Power Feats: Precise) {49/49} "mutation"

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

Vulnerability (to Transforms and other attacks that involuntarily change his shape or form, x2 to DC modifier; Uncommon, Major; -3)

DC Block

ATTACK              RANGE          SAVE                      EFFECT

Unarmed             Touch          Toughness 18 (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Emotion Control     Perception     Fortitude 22 (Staged)     Emotion Changed

Confuse             Perception     Fortitude 22              Confused

Fatigue             Perception     Fortitude 22 (Staged)     Fatigued/Exhausted/Unconscious

Healing             Touch          Fortitude 22 (Staged)     Healed

Mind Control        Perception     Fortitude 22              Mind Controlled

Nauseate            Perception     Fortitude 22 (Staged)     Sickened/Nauseated/Helpless

Paralyze            Perception     Fortitude 22 (Staged)     Slowed or Paralyzed

Stun                Perception     Fortitude 22 (Staged)     Dazed/Stunned/Unconscious

Tranform            Touch          Fortitude 22              Transformed

Totals: Abilities (24) + Combat (44) + Saving Throws (11) + Skills (13) + Feats (11) + Powers (80) - Drawbacks (3) = 180/211 Power Points

I cleaned up the formatting a bit, and borrowed some tricks used to note differences in size from Cubic's sheet.

Bad news is, his size-shifting, as it is now, really screws up his Caps! When he's Large, his Defense is too high; when he's Small or Tiny, his Attack is too high! Assuming you want him to be PL 12, that is. If you're okay with his size-shifting breaking through the self-imposed PL 12 cap, then it's fine.

Some names for your effects -- "DeathWave" for his Area Strike, for example -- would be appreciated.

Speaking of, I don't think Indirect (much less Indirect 3) is needed for a Touch Range Area [burst] effect; that combo already means it's coming off him in every direction.

Yeah, the caps are self-imposed. See, the thing is, i wanted the Growth and Shrinking for a feature really. He can assume the form (and some of the utilities) of living things. It's not full blown shapeshifting mastery, just something to have fun with and be a little bit helpful. So, I don't mind them breaking self-imposed caps if i never use them in battle. If he needs a useful combat form, he can stunt something.

I'll work on the names.

The Indirect feat was supposed to be the energy filling the targets up before bursting out of the target. Seeing as the Area is Targeted, i figured that was needed.

This is more of a building suggestion than anything, but does he really need that many APs? A lot of them seem better left to stunting, especially given the extremely broad potential of his descriptors. For instance, why does he need Fatigue, Nauseate, Paralyze and Stun all as permanent powers? Mechanically, they all accomplish the same thing and if one really made that much more sense in a specific situation, that would be a perfect opportunity for a power stunt!

Due to an oversight on the drawbacks, I was three points under. So i gave him 4 more points in Acrobatics, Acrobatic Bluff and Challenge (Fast Acrobatic Bluff)

I have the Life Control powers names.

I took out the "death wave".

I gave Variable Descriptor [biological attacks] to Fatigue, Nauseate, Paralyze and Stun.

I put that Defense Toughness was PL14 in the Small and Tiny sections.

Finally, I know a lot of his attacks look redundant, but I meant it to be that way. I see PL12 180pp as his "end form". Sure, I could give him some immunities, regeneration, super-senses and an alternate form with the extra points. Yes, it's probably not built well, but I'm fine with were he is at the moment.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...