Habitat for Metahumanity (OOC)

quotemyname

Hmmm... the crowd is disarmed and paralyzed, so there's no real danger from that end of things...

Jube is going to do an "olfactory survey" of the crowd (see also: Acute and Tracking on his sense of smell). The people who actually live in this area should all carry a fairly similar collection of scents from the environmental factors (plants, dirt, etc) they share in common, so anybody whose scent stands out as different might just be an outsider. Like, say, a visiting supervillain, perhaps? The cheetah will Take 10 for a Notice 'check' of 19.

As well, Jube will do reconnaissance over a nontrivial area; say, all the territory within a 1-mile radius of our impromptu HQ. Hopefully, if there's any enemies hidden behind bushes, or freshly-excavated whatzits that aren't part of our construction efforts, or whatever, Jube will have a decent chance of noticing. Again, Jube will Take 10 for a Notice 'check' of 19.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crowd all smells alike. If there are any super villains in the midst, they're local. They in fact live on the Island of Haiti.

Now that someone's actually looking for people, I'll have to roll stealth.

Stealth (1d20+1=21) Wow, really? Ok.

Stealth (1d20+11=14) Remember the odd truck that didn't belong to the group parked behind the right row of homes? There's a man in fatigues hiding beneath it. Jubatus knows he's there, and he also knows the man knows he's there (as Jube wasn't sneaking around). The man is armed with (at the least) a shotgun, though from the looks of him, it's easy to conclude that he has more weaponry on him.

As Jube approaches him, he gets an attack as part of his readied action. (I purposefully didn't list readied actions because I didn't want it to affect the actions of the players). DC 21 on hit (1d20+12=14) It misses, as Jube saw him and is not flat-footed. Though it's enough to scare him!

Tracer jumps back into the initiative at this point. Powerhouse will as well.

Jubatus; 40; HPx1; Unharmed

Tracer; 39; Unharmed

Powerhouse; DELAYING; Unharmed

Wisp; 24; HPx2; Unharmed

Push; 23; HPx3; Bruised, Stunned @Push

Blueshift; 19; HPx3; Uharmed

Marceau; 4; HPx1; Unharmed

Witch; 3; Unharmed, Paralyzed @Push

That's two free actions for you with you're quickness. Are you doing anything else this round?

Anybody whose first reaction, upon being noticed, is to fire away with a shotgun blast, is probably up to no good. Shotgun boy gets Jube's attention, thanks.

Free actions... Do we have any communications protocols set up (i.e., "okay, people, tune your radios to frequency thus-and-so" or whatever)? If so, Jube will report report Shotgun Boy's attack to the rest of the heroes. If not, Jube will be annoyed at not having thought of this himself (dude's a fussbudget perfectionist, what can I say?) and he'll zip back to the heroes' "HQ" to leave a written note before he returns to deal with Shotgun Boy.

That hits!

I have no clue what the DC should be! You're sheet doesn't have a DC block! :o

But I'll take your word for it for the sake of time.

TOU DC 22 (1d20+8=11) I'm not going to let you stagger this combatant round one. Sorry. Take a HP. I'm getting a re-roll: Re-Roll: TOU DC 22 (1d20+8=20) Bruised!

Tracer; 39; Bruised x1

Powerhouse; 38; Unharmed

Wisp; 24; HPx2; Unharmed

I have to make an apology here. I have two characters about to come up in the initiative and yet I have a CRAPLOAD of work to get done. I'm also leaving for the weekend tomorrow afternoon.

I'm officially putting this thread on temporary hold. I'll resume and post their actions first thing Monday. Make sure you remind me if I forget about it! ;)

Okay, sorry about the delay. I'm finally back.

Tracer:

Move: Feint with Intimidate (startle) @ -5 Intimidate v Jubatus (Opp: Intimidate, Will, Sense Motive) (1d20+11=27) If you fail the opposed, you're flat footed.

Standard: BOOMSTICK! (Power Attack 4; DC 25) (1d20+8=22) Looks like that hits even if you DON'T fail the opposed vs Intimidate :o

Powerhouse:

Free Action: Shenanigans! Marceau gets an HP and is flat footed.

Move Action: Get to Marceau

Standard Action: Facepunch! (DC 27) (1d20+8=12) The HP is given because this attack treats you as Flat Footed via the above Fiat. Therefore you're hit.

Tracer; 39; Bruised x1

Powerhouse; 38; Unharmed

Wisp; 24; HPx2; Unharmed

Jube has neither Intimidate nor Sense Motive, so he gets a Will check vs. Intimidate (1d20+9=24)... which would seem to fail vs. the opponent's roll of 27. I'm going to burn an HP for a re-roll; Jube will get hit regardless, but being flat-footed will do terrible things to his Toughness save.

Since a HP-fueled reroll adds 10 to any die-roll of 1-10, that means a re-roll of 1D20+9 is, effectively, 1d10+19. And...

Will check re-roll (1d10+19=22)

...oh, joyous day.

Okay: Toughness save. The DC I'm rolling against is (15 + the attack's Damage Bonus), and I'm rolling 1d20 + Jube's Toughness save modifier. It's not entirely clear to me what the shotgun's Damage Bonus is, but I can at least do the Toughness save now, and that's Toughness save vs shotgun blast (1d20+2=6).

Apparently, Invisible Castle really, really, hates Jube.

Something occured to me after I made the Will roll: Remember that whole Master Plan deal, back on page 5 of this OOC thread? You decided it was good for a +3 bonus, Quotemyname. I'm not sure if said bonus should apply here and now, but if it does, Jube's initial Will check of 24 ends up boosted to 27, which succeeds.

From the Core Book

If you have the opportunity to prepare for an encounter you can formulate

a plan. This requires at least a few minutes, longer at the Gamemaster’s

discretion. Make an Intelligence check (DC 10). If successful, you and your

allies gain a bonus on all skill checks and attack rolls in the encounter

depending on the result of your roll: +1 for a roll of 10-14, +2 for 15-25,

and +3 for 25 or higher. This bonus is not subject to power level limits.

You choose when during the encounter to initiate your master plan. The

bonus lasts for 3 rounds, then begins decreasing at a rate of 1 per round

until it is gone. You can only use this feat when you have the opportunity

to prepare for an encounter in advance, not when dealing with sudden or

unexpected encounters.

While it doesn't actually state the method of activating the bonuses, since it does say that the player gets to chose, I'm going to say that you need to take a free action to activate the benefits of Master Plan when it is your turn. Regardless this bonus ONLY applies to Skill Checks and Attack Rolls. You do not gain a bonus to Saves.

Perhaps you're thinking of Inspire:

You can inspire your allies to greatness. You must be able to interact and

you can affect a number of allies equal to your Charisma bonus. By taking

a full-round action and spending a hero point, your allies gain a +1 bonus

on all attack rolls, saving throws, and checks for the following round. Each

additional time you take this feat increases the bonus by +1, to a maximum

of +5. You do not gain the inspiration bonus, only your allies do. The

inspiration bonus can exceed power level limits, like other uses of hero

points. Multiple uses of inspiration do not stack, only the highest bonus

applies.

To answer the question about the damage of the shotgun, it's Rank 6. He power attacked for 4. The total damage rank is 10, forcing a DC 25 save.

You've rolled a 6 on your save. You fail by 19. You're KOed. You get a Hero Point for the setback.

Knockback Rank 6 (power attack does not add to the KB), -1 (Jube's FF KB mod) = 5, or 25 Feet. Jube goes skittering away through the sand away from the camp. No additional saves are required.

Well, shotgun blasts are really, really loud. Even in an open space. I'm going to assume the Notice check DC is pretty low 1d20+14=29. Wisp's going to send herself to the idiot who just fired the boomstick and push his nose in for him.

1d20+13=28, that'll be a DC 22 toughness save. And thanks to Turnabout, she's going to scoop up Jube and end up far away from the boomstick guy, say out at the circle with Blueshift. If you feel that's abusing Turnabout, I'm willing blow an HP for the extra action to get Jube to safety.

Yea that's too much for turnabout. Even with the HP for the extra action. Here's why:

Turnabout allows to move attack and then move back to your original location immediately afterward. Jube isn't even near the Tracer as he suffered knockback. So Wisp would have to move, attack, retreat once for a standard and a move action. Then she would have to move, pick up, and retreat as TWO more move actions as picking up someone's unconscious form is itself a move action. Since you can only Extra Effort once per turn, you can't use it to gain an extra two actions. So in this case it would be either one or the other of these actions, and not require extra effort.

However, I believe Doc just added a house rule that says you can use extraordinary effort to gain any two benefits of Extra Effort at once. I'll allow you to use that to accomplish this, however it will take you all the way to exhausted after you've completed it. You can of course use an HP to alleviate exhausted and return to fatigued if you wish, but you can only do that once per round and you'd need to spend an hp on the following round to return to full operating potential.

Let me know what you want to do before I do any rolling.

U mad, Push?

Charging (+2 Attack, -2 Defense), All Out Attack (+5 Attack, -5 Defense), Power Attack (+5 Damage, -5 Attack) Ticked-Off Grapple Attack! (1d20+12=23)

He totes mad.

Okay, Push is now in the air over the encampment, radiating prodigious amounts of energy, and expressing his irritation in a most direct manner. To wit; Power Attack'd Grapple Check! (+5) (1d20+29=36) ...while normally I'd be happy with that, this guy *is* a powerhouse, so...Grapple check redux! (Power Attack +5) (1d20+29=35) ...well, with the +10 that *is* a 45...

Posting Quote's roll to conserve OOC space: Opposed Grapple DC 45 (1d20+29=30) And the dude is hosed. Push then proceeds to use one of the options available to a grappler, namely that of Throw. Anyone here ever see Sherlock Holmes? :D

All Out Attack (+5 Attack, -5 Defense), Power Attack (+5 Damage, -5 Attack) Powerhouse chuck! (1d20+10=20) And according to Quote, that misses. Dangit. Oh well, at least an exceptionally large individual flying right past shotgun jockey's nose should scare the living daylights out of him. EDIT: Push also takes a Free Action to maintain the Paralyze.

Yea, all that checks out.

TOU DC 29 (34 if the Power Attack actually counts) (1d20+12=14)

That's going to get a re-roll for sure. No first round KOs.

TOU DC 29 (34 if the Power Attack actually counts) (1d20+12=21) +10 from the reroll being below 11. That comes in at a 31. He passes and is no worse for wear. Though he is prone.

Push get's an HP back. And correct me if I'm wrong but he only spent one in the above, so his total should not change, correct?

Jubatus; 40; HPx1; Unconscious (10 rounds remaining)

Tracer; 39; Bruised x1

Powerhouse; 38; Unharmed, Prone

Wisp; 24; HPx2; Unharmed

Push; 23; HPx3; Bruised

Blueshift; 19; HPx2; Uharmed

Marceau; 4; HPx0; Bruised, Stunned@38, Knocked out to sea

That'll put Blueshift up. She'll be taking a full round action to sabotage the ritual circle. I'm just going to ad hoc hand wave that she spends an HP to do so as the GM PC, and get this thread moving. That's more important than being rules accurate at this point, I'd say.

That'll bring up Marceau but he STILL hasn't rolled his save from the FACEPUNCH so he needs to do that before we move on.

I'm really going to try the 24 hour thing again. Please at least post your save by tomorrow. If you don't, I'm going to start skipping people. This thread needs to get wrapped up :/

EDIT: He finally rolled the save. After a re-roll, he's Brused and Stunned.

Jube is unconscious, thanks to that shotgun slug he took. Core book (pg 165) says that KOed characters make a CON check after one minute passes, so the cheetah is inert for the next several rounds of combat. One could argue that Jube's built-in, always-on 6* worth of Quickness should reduce the time he spends unconscious, but considering that KO is the major means of keeping characters down in a setting that frowns on lethal attacks, I'm not so sure we want to go there. Anywho, Jube's 1d20+2=11 CON check says he'll be fully conscious as soon as that minute ticks by.