A Star is (re-) Born [IC] [GM]

At first Lynn was concerned; she'd made sure to get to the club plenty early, hoping for a chance to wish Eddie good luck, but word in the club was that the lead singer hadn't arrived yet. The changeling slipped into the shadows and snuck backstage, invisible to all but the most sensitive individuals, to check it out. She didn't go into any dressing rooms or anything, which struck her as being rude, but there was definitly a little edgve in the air as the rest of the bad was getting ready.

He'll show; the kid does love an audience, after all.

She made her way back out into the crowd and conjured up a cranberry juice, not really wanting to stand in line for not-booze. After a few more agonizing minutes, the band finally took the stage sans Eddie.

Oh, this doesn't look good...

But just when she started to lose faith in the musical whiz kid, he just appeared onstage, making for a hell of an entrance, and Lynn couldn't help but smile as she joined in the applause. "Well played, drama boy, well played."

The performance continued... After a song or two, Eddie broke stride to say a few words.

"There have been quite a few things going on in our lives recently..." He smiled, and turned to his band mates, "I was flying over Mount Olympus today. Aparently the guys up there think it's restricted airspace or something. You wouldn't believe the welcome I got! Anyway... I went up there chasing a girl. But this one really comes from the heart, take it from me: Sometimes it's just better to let things go. Because..." At his cue, the band fired up their instruments. It was strange how they knew exactly what chords to play.

She's a good girl, loves her mama

Loves Jesus and America too

She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis

Loves horses and her boyfriend too

It's a long day livin' in Reseda

There's a freeway runnin' through the yard

And I'm a bad boy, 'cause I don't even miss her

I'm a bad boy for breakin' her heart

A small tear rolled down Eddie Ozan's cheek.

AND I'M FREE, I'M FREE FALLIN'

The band played him an interlude, and his speech continued, "Some things in this world, or out of it, are just too damn important. Don't be reckless, don't be careless. Don't throw them away, or abuse them. Whether it's friends or family, sometimes in life you don't get a do-over, so you've got to think before you act and make your decisions count!"

"Cause I'm free! Free fallin'!"

Walker's eyes lingered on one girl in the crowd, and he scratched his head briefly, idly ruffling through his memory. Something about her seemed familiar, but he couldn't quite place where. Eventually, he shrugged and sipped from his bottle of root beer, watching the show from the back of the room. This Ozan kid had some real pipes, and the band was one hell of an amp-breaker. But what was nice was that they seemed to realize music quality didn't just come from volume, a refreshing change from the industrial clubs they had back in GC...

He shook his head, taking a longer pull on the bottle. This was his day off. Tonight he was Tom Walker, mechanic and man-about-town. Tonight he was going to enjoy a band, drink a lot of soda (not liquor, he just didn't feel like it tonight), and go home way after midnight. The incognito hero listened to Eddie's speech, and raised his bottle in thoughtful salute.

Heh...think before you act...yeah, that's something I learned a bit too late for my tastes...

The audience was eating it up -- especially that one kid, the tall boy-child, who kept on chanting 'Ed-dee! Ed-dee!" at a volume level sufficiently high as to drown out the music within a 3-foot radius of his mouth. He was as oblivious to the annoyed looks he was garnering, as he was to the fact that there was a slowly-growing bubble of space around him as people shuffled away from the blatant dorkosaurus...