Just Another Sunday (OOC)

Raveled

I don't know if you ever officially stated where Blueshift would be starting out. I mentioned she may have been moving towards the building at the least, if not trying to gain entry. Can you just make a ruling on where I'll be starting out? It will likely affect what I want to do with my turn.

Also, does she pick up anything with her senses? For convenience, those are:

All Visual Senses [Extras], Danger Sense [Radio], Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Infravision [Extras], Radar [Radio, Extras: Accurate, Flaws: Not Radius], Time Sense

Depending on what she sees and where you place her, I may or may not go ahead with the original plan of inventing. Wouldn't want to waste three rounds if it's more likely that we need a solution now ;)

EDIT: as a side note, has anyone actually SEEN Blueshift yet? She announced her presence over the radio, but as far as I know, her cloaking has masked her from Protectron at the least...

EDIT2: Her power has Phantasm, so while it does block visual and audio senses, if your eyes are cameras, you may still see her.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT2: Her power has Phantasm, so while it does block visual and audio senses, if your eyes are cameras, you may still see her.

In that case, yes, everyone sees her. Since everyone is using cameras/sensors/is a robot.

Blushift sees pretty much what Victory sees. Lots of thermal signatures, and a big group of them all up on one side.

Okay, I'm abandoning my invention. Curiosity killed the cat after all... I'm not kidding. That's a complication:

Curiosity Killed The Cat: Rachel is curious to a fault. She will be extremely tempted to investigate things no matter how dangerous the situation may be.

Disable Device to enter the warehouse quietly. (1d20+20=28)

That's terrible. I'll spend an HP if it's needed. I want this to work.

HP Re-Roll Disable Device (1d20+20=22) +10 = 32

I'll stealthily investigate. I have Skill Mastery. Result is 20.

Let me know if that passes the DD DC before I post.

Okay, I'm abandoning my invention. Curiosity killed the cat after all... I'm not kidding. That's a complication:

Curiosity Killed The Cat: Rachel is curious to a fault. She will be extremely tempted to investigate things no matter how dangerous the situation may be.

A concern arises. Yes, this was on her sheet since you submitted it, and I should've said something then, but 20/20 hindsight and all that.

I'd asked you to make a "think-y" type character, one who used their brains rather than their brawn, one who thought before acting. Someone semi-level-headed. I.e., something very much unlike your other characters, as a challenge to stretch your roleplaying talents (as I've said, you have improved greatly over your years here, and I'd very much like to encourage that growth).

That Complication -- while very appropriate for a science-y and tech-y heroine -- is the opposite of what I was hoping to see. It gives you license to have her run into situations and get herself (and teammates) into trouble, due to a lack of self-control on the character's part. How is that different from Breakdown or Valkyrie?

Hmm, didn't think about it that way. Maybe it's just my role playing nature to have character flaws like that. I'd like to offer the following argument/justification.

This is not (in my mind) the same as Breakdown, even in nature. Breakdown charges into risky situations because he is [A] usually too stupid to be afraid, grandstanding, and [C] playing to his self-sacrificial nature.

Valk did it because she loved fighting. She would charge enemies because they were there, just because she could.

With both of those characters, it was a choice. The complications simply existed to detail their nature further. I infrequently receive HPs for them, and rightfully so, that isn't really warranted.

Why is Blueshift different? With her it is more of a compulsion. When she spots some problem that she doesn't know the answer to, she'll attack it head on whether she wants to or not. My other characters WANT to solve their problems head on. Blueshift would rather take a step back and think about things, however, sometimes she just can't help herself.

I thought her first thread with this group would be a good place to showcase that. However, I'm not really dead set on this aspect of the character. If you feel it would be best if removed, so be it. I do want to play the character that thinks before she acts, but having a character that does the same thing every time is boring (one of the many reasons I agreed to retire Valk). Most of the time, she'll think her problems through. However some of the time, (likely from here on out at GM discretion) she will feel compelled to whack a bees nest with a stick if for no other reason than just to see how long it takes the bees to sting her. It's a complication, not her nature. It won't happen all the time. It doesn't have to happen now. But it will happen some of the time. It will exist as a part of her, even if it's a small part.

Comments?

Okay, on further discussion in chat, I may have missed the point of what you were getting at. Ecal cleared it up for me a little.

(19:04:39) Ecalsneerg: You're essentially saying "I want to play a level-headed, calculating character, except when she's not"

If that's the point you're trying to make, then you're right. That is a crappy reason and the Complication should be removed. I will find something else to do with my turn. If there's something else to it, please let me know.

My first comment would be that I thought I'd clicked to PM that to you, not posted here in the thread :xd:

Secondly, yes, Ecal decoded my mad ramblings correctly.

(18:59:25) Ecalsneerg: You're justifying having another character who rushes in, but the concern is that you have another character who rushes in, not why

I did not mean to ask how her impulsiveness/lack of control was different from BD's and Valk's, I meant to ask how is her being impulsive and lacking in self-control any different from BD or Valk.

As for what she can do right now: maybe study the area in detail (with her Quickness she can Take 20 on a Notice check as a free action, getting 30), and relay info to the nice heroes she chatted with earlier? Gadget up (or stunt off her existing super-senses) some ESP to tap into any cameras inside (or maybe even through the Power Corp's own sensors!) and see what's what? Track the bombs and start disabling them? Gadget up some Radio Obscure so the Power corps can't communicate with each other via their comms?

Right, well I think it's pretty much safe to say that you can remove that complication. Need me to make a request in the edits thread or is this good enough?

Okay, here we go!

Standard Action: Reconfigure Gadgets:

ESP 4 (1 mile, visual; Flaw: Medium [existing cameras]; PF: Subtle) [5PP]

Move Action: Use ESP to get a look around the inside of the Warehouse

Free Action: Take 20 on Notice for a result of 30

What do I see?

Taking over the security cameras inside the warehouse, Blueshift can see that the interior of the building is one large, open space stacked with crates, barrels, and various moving equipment (forklifts, et cetera). On one side of the building is a ironwork catwalk supporting what looks like a row of offices; this is the same side that she and Victory noticed the mass of heat signatures earlier. She can now see that the other heat signatures corresponded to the remaining Power Corps mercenaries. They're all grouped together at the dock-side loading doors. Five of the members are kitted out in the usual gear, but she can see that two of them (marked with the numbers 2 and 8) are in hulking suits of armor, over-muscled and hunched over like metallic gorillas. These two are stacking tall crates effortlessly, while the rest stand guard.

I loathe to display my post any longer, but in the interests of not screwing this up (there may be hostages!), I have a few questions.

Victory can detect six distinct human heat signatures moving around the warehouse, with many other heat signatures clustered high up near the roof on one side of the building.

In both your descriptions, it only mentions that the heat signatures are high on one side. Which side? It matters less to those on the roof, but it may be important to Blue since she's on the ground. Are the heat clusters on my side? Far side? Left and right wouldn't matter as much, she can probably reach them just as easily with her speed 4.

About the heat clusters: Are there no cameras in the offices? No webcams, or cameras for teleconferences? She's not able to see in there at all?

I'm gonna say no. No visuals into that area. :D

(14:04:05) quotemyname: And you didn't answer about where on the building it was.

(14:05:27) Raveled: Quote> It's on the South side of the warehouse, towards the top. Right hand side if you're looking towards the water.

What's "it"? :iiam:

Victory's going to make a nice drop-in hole for the group from the roof. Figuring, of course, that the best way to ambush them is from above.

Victory had end up with an Effective Strength of 95. I'm assuming that'll be able to be more than enough to tear a chunk off, big enough for the heroes to drop in through?