At the Opera Tonight [OOC]

Dr Archeville

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Initiative first

1d20+4=8

Thats due to champagne, and those damn emotion things.

Notice next:

1d20+5=15

Not sure thats too good.

Culture knowledge roll next

1d20+5=16

A grand set of mediocre rolls.

Finally, Slick has probably drunk slightly too much - I'm not entirely sure to represent this - perhaps the "sickened" status from nauseate. Whilst its not directly in his complications, it is largely because of his memories of his father and past. I'll leave this up to you Doc to consider penalty and HP reward, or drop it completely and just consider it fluff.

Moving along, despite back of posting from Darksider, and a temporary hiatus by Sand (he'll be back January 1st)

Initiative for Ghost Valkyrie (1d20+3=16)

Initiatives

22 -- Breakdown -- unharmed, 3 HP

16 -- Ghost Valkyrie -- Unharmed

11 -- Muse -- unharmed, 5 HP

8 -- Slick -- unharmed, 1 HP

Notice checks

Muse (23)

Breakdown (16)

Slick (15)

Everyone is sure the officer the "Valkyrie" attacked is dead.

Knowledge Checks

Slick (16)

Muse (17)

Breakdown (29)

Slick and Muse are both fairly certain this "Valkyrie" is, in fact, the Silver Scream, the ghost of an early 20th century film starlet (and native of Freedom City) who was typecast as a "scream queen" in a number of bad movies (mostly from the 30s and 40s), died in obscurity, and returns periodically as a vengeful spirit when her works are (mis)remembered or to strike at those who wronged her in life. She's been on two rampages, both stopped by Johnny rocket (the first by the first one, the second by his grandson, the current one)

Breakdown knows it is definitely the Silver Scream (born Lauren Hammond), as he recognizes her appearance as the costume she wore in the 1939 film Die, Valkyrie!. It was an adaptation of Wagner's great opera, done as an American take on German Expressionism, so abysmally bad (in part due to technical errors, in part due to the horrid overacting of the cast, particularly Hammond, who was cast as Brünnhilde, and in part due to the fact it came out a week before World War II broke out and the opinion of all things German took a decided nosedive) that the cause of the fire which engulfed the studio after its release has never been positively identified, due to so many people being prime suspects (producers needing insurance money to pay off Mafia debts, directors and actors upset that this bomb had ruined their chance of ever being taken seriously again, even the Maestro was suspected to have had a hand in it due to its "affront against music"). (He also knows all the other stuff mentioned in the FC book, though I do reserve the right to slightly change some stats since, well, KENNSONN!!! :argh: )

Breakdown is up!

Greeaaaaatttt.... I hates ghostes.

Okay, for the first round, I'm thinking fly down, land on the front of the stage, and create a bubble of solid sound between Silver Scream and the audience, hopefully allowing them time to escape before she kills anyone else.

So VP is going to be set to Flight, and Create Object. But I'm going to need some help with that...

How far is it? Will Flight 1 be enough for a 100ft move action?

How much create object should/ can I use? Will it stop incorporeal attacks/ creatures (He knows she's a 'ghost' at least in name, and since I don't have my books in front of me, I'm not sure what else he currently knows but incorporeal at least would be a good guess).

I have 40pp to work with in his VP. Help me out here! :P

Flight 1 [2pp] will get you center stage (as I'm assuming the box seats Eddie got were less than 100 feet from the stage).

We'll say the audience is roughly 125 x 125 feet (enough for ~3,000 to sit comfortably). Create Object would be the way to go for "giant barrier o' sound," but I'm unsure on having his metahuman/mutant Sonic Powers being able to create a Wall o' Sound against a supernaturally incorporeal ghost. On the other hand, with a big and obvious enough wall (and all Eddie's stuff is noticeable by default ;) ), she'll turn from them and go after the bigger/more prominent threat.

(Which is the main reason I'm reluctant to continue this without Muse, she's the only one whose powers/descriptors are valid for stunting an Affects Ghost's Insubstantial Blast).

But, I know you don't want to hold it up, so I'll say that, for this case, Eddie can stunt one rank of Affects Magical Incorporeal effects (like Create Object), as some of Muse's magical essence has been rubbing off on him (bow chicka wow wow).

Create Object 2 (2 5-ft. cubes; PFs: Affects Insubstantial [Toughness 1 vs. Incorporeal beings], Progression 2 [2 25-ft. cubes]) [7pp]

Split the area so you get 20 25 x 25 x 2.5-ft. sheets, enough to cover an area 125 x 100 with a 2.5-ft. thick Wall o' Sound, enough to cover the front 4/5ths of the audience. And, no, I don't know if thickness of a Created Object affects its Toughness; my gut tells me it would not.

A) I'm not sure how many posts I'll be able to do by the time sand returns as its xmas season.

B] I have a better idea about the incorporeal stuff. Maybe he CAN'T stunt it (at least not offensively). He needs muse to get off her butt and help him. This leads him to understand that he can't do everything himself like his wonderfully flexible powers would make him believe! He needs friends and possibly a team!

How does that sound?

Okay, awesome. Thanks for laying out the necessary powers for me. I'll devote the rest of the VP to keeping him alive while the crowd exits.

Create Object 2 (2 5-ft. cubes; PFs: Affects Insubstantial [Toughness 1 vs. Incorporeal beings], Progression 2 [2 25-ft. cubes]) [7pp]

Flight 1 [2pp]

"Sonic Guard" Impervious Toughness 14 [14pp]

Enhanced Fortitude 5 [5pp]

Enhanced Reflex 6 [6pp]

Enhanced Will 6 [6pp]

Let me know if that's an acceptable setup before I post.

Not so secretly, BD is a vibration controller (contrary to popular belief). He commonly vibrates air molecules so precisely that it creates sound, and more to the point, music. In this case he'll use that vibration to help deflect and absorb offensive effects (impervious and ref)

Fort and will are a bit harder. Maybe the vibrations interfere with mind affecting stuff as it comes in? (Filters out scary sounds for fear effects by way of example). Fort would be similar. Perhaps he is able to vibrate his blood or nervous system for more resiliance or something.

As I understand it, the restriction on his vp prevents him from turning into a dragon of rock or shapeshifting like Grim for example. He could still use his powers to affect his body, he just can't change what it is made of or how it is structured.

So the final power structure should look like this:

Flight 1 [2pp]

"Sonic Guard" Impervious Toughness 14 [14pp]

Enhanced Fortitude 8 [8pp]

Enhanced Reflex 9 [9pp]

I fly down there and do the obvious.

• 3 weeks later...

Initiatives

22 -- Breakdown -- unharmed, 3 HP

16 -- Ghost Valkyrie/Silver Scream -- Unharmed

11 -- Muse -- unharmed, 5 HP

8 -- Slick -- unharmed, 1 HP

Silver Scream

Standard: Attack Breakdown with her mighty spear!

Need two Will saves. First is DC 20. This is for her Illusion; Breakdown knows she uses Illusions, so gets a chance to make the save, but he still needs to make the save to disbelieve.

If that is passed, no damage at all! (Since her Mental Blast can only work on those who believe her Illusions)

If that fails, second Will save, DC 21. That's a Mental Damage effect.