Disco Fever [1972]

Seth had flown around for a few seconds mostly aimlessly....

But knowing that there could quite possible be other people from his time-stream polluting the past, Seth knew he had to doooo something. He adjusted "his flight plan" and sailed towards Freedom Hall, or rather, where he knew Freedom Hall to be at best possible speed.

He hoped it was there.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But knowing that there could quite possible be other people from his time-stream polluting the past, Seth knew he had to doooo something. He adjusted "his flight plan" and sailed towards Freedom Hall, or rather, where he knew Freedom Hall to be at best possible speed.

He hoped it was there.

He hoped it was there.

Sean's reaction to his mother's shout is to cringe, then turn around and wipe his feet on the mat just outside the front door. He faces forward again, and this time, takes in the full scene. He gets just as tense as Ren does when he sees him, and seems to stare a thousand yards away for a moment. His lip curls in distaste, and he looks back towards his father. He seems to be ignoring Ren for the most part, though both he and Grimalkin can tell that Sean's keeping him in his peripheral vision at all times, and that he hasn't relaxed the way he had been when he first ran inside.

"Dad, I ..." Sean begins to say, before he realizes that what he heard would sound pretty crazy. He amends what he was about to say, "I heard you got in a fight. Are you alright?"

Mr. Parker stands up from his chair to look at Sean. "It used to be that I was the one who had to ask you that question. Yes, I helped stop a jewelry robbery today, along with these two heroes here. Sean, this is Roboman and Grimakin."

Sean looks at them, spending much more time looking at Grimalkin than Roboman. He does notice their hands entwined, and meets their eyes. His expression looking into Ren's is hard, and seems to say, "Don't start anything, or I'll take you down." He softens as he looks into Grimalkin's, and his gratitude shines through.

Mrs. Parker walks out into the living room, carrying a small tray of cheese and Ritz crackers. "I brought out a little something for before dinner. Sean, can you come and help me in the kitchen?"

Sean opens his mouth, about to protest, when Mr. Parker says, "Go help your mother, Sean." Sean closes his mouth and nods reluctantly, following Mrs. Parker into the kitchen. Mr. Parker takes the tray and places it on an end table.

"Here, eat some. I don't know about you, but I always get hungry after something like that. It has something to do with adrenaline," he says, and takes his own advice.

Grimalkin can hear a sharp whispering from the kitchen over the sound of Mr. Parker chewing.

"Sean Prescott Parker. I do not want to see you acting like that in front of your father's guests. I do not care that they are your age. I certainly don't want to see you acting like that because of his race. Your father and I did not raise a bigot."

Grim can't hear Sean saying anything back to his mother. Considering the anger in her voice, that is probably for the best. A moment later, Mary Parker speaks again in a calmer voice.

"I think we understand each other. Don't we, Sean?" she asks. There's silence again from the other room, but Mrs. Parker lets out a breath that sounds like she's satisfied with his response.

Sean's reaction to his mother's shout is to cringe, then turn around and wipe his feet on the mat just outside the front door. He faces forward again, and this time, takes in the full scene. He gets just as tense as Ren does when he sees him, and seems to stare a thousand yards away for a moment. His lip curls in distaste, and he looks back towards his father. He seems to be ignoring Ren for the most part, though both he and Grimalkin can tell that Sean's keeping him in his peripheral vision at all times, and that he hasn't relaxed the way he had been when he first ran inside.

"Dad, I ..." Sean begins to say, before he realizes that what he heard would sound pretty crazy. He amends what he was about to say, "I heard you got in a fight. Are you alright?"

Mr. Parker stands up from his chair to look at Sean. "It used to be that I was the one who had to ask you that question. Yes, I helped stop a jewelry robbery today, along with these two heroes here. Sean, this is Roboman and Grimakin."

Sean looks at them, spending much more time looking at Grimalkin than Roboman. He does notice their hands entwined, and meets their eyes. His expression looking into Ren's is hard, and seems to say, "Don't start anything, or I'll take you down." He softens as he looks into Grimalkin's, and his gratitude shines through.

Mrs. Parker walks out into the living room, carrying a small tray of cheese and Ritz crackers. "I brought out a little something for before dinner. Sean, can you come and help me in the kitchen?"

Sean opens his mouth, about to protest, when Mr. Parker says, "Go help your mother, Sean." Sean closes his mouth and nods reluctantly, following Mrs. Parker into the kitchen. Mr. Parker takes the tray and places it on an end table.

"Here, eat some. I don't know about you, but I always get hungry after something like that. It has something to do with adrenaline," he says, and takes his own advice.

Grimalkin can hear a sharp whispering from the kitchen over the sound of Mr. Parker chewing.

"Sean Prescott Parker. I do not want to see you acting like that in front of your father's guests. I do not care that they are your age. I certainly don't want to see you acting like that because of his race. Your father and I did not raise a bigot."

Grim can't hear Sean saying anything back to his mother. Considering the anger in her voice, that is probably for the best. A moment later, Mary Parker speaks again in a calmer voice.

"I think we understand each other. Don't we, Sean?" she asks. There's silence again from the other room, but Mrs. Parker lets out a breath that sounds like she's satisfied with his response.

Seth finds the Freedom Hall right where it should be, but it's not the Freedom Hall that he's used to. He can remember some of the photographs from one of the local museums, depicting the city as it was before the Terminus Invasion. The building that leans out in front of him is its twin. It looks dingier and smaller than what was built after 1993, but so does a lot of the city. Dr. Metropolis' creative influence has yet to be seen.

As he gets closer to the front door, he can feel something like static at the edge of his thoughts. It's not enough to make him lose concentration, but it is enough for him to notice it. Through the glass front doors, he can see a young man, maybe two years younger than he is, with an oversized bald head and dressed in a spandex bodysuit. Seth can only hope he's a member of the Freedom League, or at least a hero. It would be cruel for anyone without superpowers to be dressed like that. The young man is standing near a receptionist's desk, tilting his head at something.

Seth finds the Freedom Hall right where it should be, but it's not the Freedom Hall that he's used to. He can remember some of the photographs from one of the local museums, depicting the city as it was before the Terminus Invasion. The building that leans out in front of him is its twin. It looks dingier and smaller than what was built after 1993, but so does a lot of the city. Dr. Metropolis' creative influence has yet to be seen.

As he gets closer to the front door, he can feel something like static at the edge of his thoughts. It's not enough to make him lose concentration, but it is enough for him to notice it. Through the glass front doors, he can see a young man, maybe two years younger than he is, with an oversized bald head and dressed in a spandex bodysuit. Seth can only hope he's a member of the Freedom League, or at least a hero. It would be cruel for anyone without superpowers to be dressed like that. The young man is standing near a receptionist's desk, tilting his head at something.

Ren kept his gaze steady as Sean, the younger Sean, attempted to stare him down. Racism, at least directed towards him, was something new in his experience. Chinese and Koreans were largely looked down upon in Japan, but most Westerners, while seen as loud and boisterous, were treated well enough as everyone simply assumed they had money. (A trait which transcended skin color.)

It was annoying to have what he looked like held against him, but to be honest, he had to feel a little sorry for the guy. Knowing the future as he did, Ren also knew that Sean's prejudice went away after a time. Probably calmed down as he got older, he thought. Then, Wait, older? Ren did some quick mental math but ground to a halt as soon as he came across the fact that 2 plus 2 was equalling fish. Vietnam was from '59 to '75, as far as he knew, and things around here indicated that the war was still on. Even if this was the beginning of '75, Sean looked to be about 20. Meaning that in the future, thirty years from now, Icarus was fifty something.

That guy must take care of himself, Ren thought in amazement. He knew that something else was likely at work, but damned if he knew what it was.

Ren kept his gaze steady as Sean, the younger Sean, attempted to stare him down. Racism, at least directed towards him, was something new in his experience. Chinese and Koreans were largely looked down upon in Japan, but most Westerners, while seen as loud and boisterous, were treated well enough as everyone simply assumed they had money. (A trait which transcended skin color.)

It was annoying to have what he looked like held against him, but to be honest, he had to feel a little sorry for the guy. Knowing the future as he did, Ren also knew that Sean's prejudice went away after a time. Probably calmed down as he got older, he thought. Then, Wait, older? Ren did some quick mental math but ground to a halt as soon as he came across the fact that 2 plus 2 was equalling fish. Vietnam was from '59 to '75, as far as he knew, and things around here indicated that the war was still on. Even if this was the beginning of '75, Sean looked to be about 20. Meaning that in the future, thirty years from now, Icarus was fifty something.

That guy must take care of himself, Ren thought in amazement. He knew that something else was likely at work, but damned if he knew what it was.

Lynn smiles as she gently corrects the older hero's pronunciation.

"Actually it's 'Grimalkin', A-L-K-I-N."

Once Sean has left the room, Lynn can't help but stop and listen to what is obviously a private conversation between mother and son; she feels bad about eavesdropping, a habit she had even before her hearing got so good, but she's glad to hear Mrs. Parker's side of the conversation.

They seem like good folks; I wonder why their son turned out to be such a bad egg? Though I guess he's not a psychopath, so they must have done something right.

She waits until Mr. Parker starts on the snacks, then follows suit as she was raised by her family; though not terribly filling, the cheese and crackers taste delicious after the crazy night/day she's had.

"I know what you mean, Mr. Parker; I always go through about half my food after a serious fight."

Lynn puts too much in her mouth and nearly chokes on it before she gets to swallow, and turns just a little pink with embarrassment as she produces a small, lady-like burp behind her hand.

"I'm so sorry, I haven't eaten yet today. I don't mean to be a pain, but do you have any soda? Diet Coke would be fine, if you guys have that now."

Once Sean has left the room, Lynn can't help but stop and listen to what is obviously a private conversation between mother and son; she feels bad about eavesdropping, a habit she had even before her hearing got so good, but she's glad to hear Mrs. Parker's side of the conversation.

They seem like good folks; I wonder why their son turned out to be such a bad egg? Though I guess he's not a psychopath, so they must have done something right.

She waits until Mr. Parker starts on the snacks, then follows suit as she was raised by her family; though not terribly filling, the cheese and crackers taste delicious after the crazy night/day she's had.

"I know what you mean, Mr. Parker; I always go through about half my food after a serious fight."

Lynn puts too much in her mouth and nearly chokes on it before she gets to swallow, and turns just a little pink with embarrassment as she produces a small, lady-like burp behind her hand.

"I'm so sorry, I haven't eaten yet today. I don't mean to be a pain, but do you have any soda? Diet Coke would be fine, if you guys have that now."

"I think Mary has some Tab in the kitchen, but that doesn't go with cheese and crackers," Mr. Parker says as he tilts his head in thought. "Do either of you two want a beer? I could go for one myself. They taste better than Tab, too."

He stands up, waiting by the entrance to the living room to hear their responses before going into the kitchen. He's still thinking about something, though he isn't saying anything.

"I think Mary has some Tab in the kitchen, but that doesn't go with cheese and crackers," Mr. Parker says as he tilts his head in thought. "Do either of you two want a beer? I could go for one myself. They taste better than Tab, too."

He stands up, waiting by the entrance to the living room to hear their responses before going into the kitchen. He's still thinking about something, though he isn't saying anything.

Lynn's eyes widen a little, and she looks around the room for a second, but then she tries her best to play it cool as she nods and casually waves her hand.

"Oh yeah, sure, whatever you got would be great. A beer would be awesome."

In all honesty, Lynn really doesn't care for beer, but when was the last time an adult just offered her one? Well, the last time she was offered one when she wasn't shifted to look much older?

Lynn's eyes widen a little, and she looks around the room for a second, but then she tries her best to play it cool as she nods and casually waves her hand.

In all honesty, Lynn really doesn't care for beer, but when was the last time an adult just offered her one? Well, the last time she was offered one when she wasn't shifted to look much older?

"Er, sure, I guess." Renichi had never had beer before. The legal age in Japan was 19, so he supposed it wasn't from lack of legality, but more from lack of desire to drink. He knew from experience he could still taste things, but getting drunk was beyond his body's current ability to reproduce.

One good thing, he supposed.

"Er, sure, I guess." Renichi had never had beer before. The legal age in Japan was 19, so he supposed it wasn't from lack of legality, but more from lack of desire to drink. He knew from experience he could still taste things, but getting drunk was beyond his body's current ability to reproduce.

Mr. Parker heads into the kitchen, and comes back with two unopened beers in one hand and a third in the other. Sean follows behind him, pulling over a chair from the dining room. He also has a beer, but his is open and he's taking a drink from it as he sits.

Mr. Parker says, "Here you go," as he hands a beer to Lynn and Ren. He opens his as he takes a seat and takes a drink from it. Sean ends up speaking first.

"So, where are you two from? Dad's got all the heroes in the city on a wall in the basement, and I know you're not on it," Sean says. He addresses the question to the space in between Ren and Lynn's heads, looking more towards Lynn. He is less on edge than he was before he went into the kitchen, but he still looks like he's upset about something.

Mr. Parker glances over to his son as he speaks, his lips pursing. He doesn't say anything or try to deny that he does have such a wall, which, from what Ren and Lynn already know of him, probably means that he does.