Disco Fever [1972]

Mr. Silberman's eyes are a little misty as Lynn takes his hands in hers.

"You speak to me of memories that lie in my future. What are you doing back here? What do you need to do?" he asks. It seems like the comment about Lainey has escaped his memory in the face of what followed it. He blinks to clear any tears that threaten to fall and looks over Lynn's face, trying to see his granddaughter in it.

Despite herself, Lynn laughs but quickly covers her mouth. "I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at me; here I am going all drama queen, and I haven't told you the most important part!" She smiles and rolls her eyes at her own histrionics before she contiunes.

"Me and Ren, the Japanese kid I came in with? We got sucked back in time due to some kind of, I dunno, super-technology mix-up, and as happy I am to see you, we need to get back to our time, to your future; maybe the Amazing Al-Kazar knew something or somebody that can help us get back." She shrugs emphatically. "It's a long shot, I know, but you're the only person I know back here."

She smiles and rests a hand against his face. "It's so good to see you again." Then she stops and looks nervous.

Well, that's one way of letting him know he's dead in the future - idiot!

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ren's frown had been slowly replaced with a more non-committal expression as he heard nothing from the other room. What were they doing in there, anyway? He'd been standing there for... well a while, anyway, and there didn't seem to be any kind of quick end to their conversation. A couple of books had caught his eye in the meantime, especially one titled "I, Robot".

"

Finally, he couldn't take it anymore. Far too many things had already been changed here, and they needed to get back before their respective futures did not exist anymore. Lynn was still talking to her grandfather, so Ren knocked on the doorframe to the backroom. "Hey, I think we need to talk," he said through the material.

Ren's frown had been slowly replaced with a more non-committal expression as he heard nothing from the other room. What were they doing in there, anyway? He'd been standing there for... well a while, anyway, and there didn't seem to be any kind of quick end to their conversation. A couple of books had caught his eye in the meantime, especially one titled "I, Robot".

"

Finally, he couldn't take it anymore. Far too many things had already been changed here, and they needed to get back before their respective futures did not exist anymore. Lynn was still talking to her grandfather, so Ren knocked on the doorframe to the backroom. "Hey, I think we need to talk," he said through the material.

Mr. Silberman's face clouds. It looks like he recognizes what Lynn's slip meant.

"Don't tell me when I die. I just hope it's a good death," he says. He looks towards the backroom where Lainey had gone with Sean. There's a twinkle in his eye as he says, "I also hope that Lainey waits until late in life to become a mother. Now, you think that his things might be of some help?"

The last comment to change the subject probably came so that he didn't have to think about his future death. He moves quickly, walking out from behind the counter and flipping the sign around to say "Closed" outside. He turns back to her and asks "Which things do you need? Do you know any more about magic than I do? I lack the spark needed, it seems. I could never get his spells to work for me."

Sean looks up as Ren knocks on the door. He's genuinely annoyed, even though the topic being covered (something about one of Lainey's friends dating a freshman, instead of a senior) has absolutely nothing to do with him. Then he remembers what Ren did for him earlier, and his face softens. He looks to Lainey and says, "It sounds like he needs me. He's like some sort of foreign exchange student, and I have to help him out."

Lainey looks back and says, "Will you come back later? I wouldn't mind seeing you again."

Sean pauses for an instant as he thinks about what that means. It's pretty obvious what she's saying, and he swiftly comes to his decision.

"Sure. I usually get off work a little later in the day. Maybe sometime on Sunday," he says, remembering that the bookstore closes early on Fridays (and is closed all Saturday) for some sort of religious reason. Lainey smiles back at him.

"See you then, Sean," she says. Sean smiles back, a little awkwardly, and heads out into the main area. He looks to Ren, and waits for Lainey to go by before he says anything.

"Were you spying on me?" he asks Ren. "That is not groovy at all."

Mr. Silberman's face clouds. It looks like he recognizes what Lynn's slip meant.

"Don't tell me when I die. I just hope it's a good death," he says. He looks towards the backroom where Lainey had gone with Sean. There's a twinkle in his eye as he says, "I also hope that Lainey waits until late in life to become a mother. Now, you think that his things might be of some help?"

The last comment to change the subject probably came so that he didn't have to think about his future death. He moves quickly, walking out from behind the counter and flipping the sign around to say "Closed" outside. He turns back to her and asks "Which things do you need? Do you know any more about magic than I do? I lack the spark needed, it seems. I could never get his spells to work for me."

Sean looks up as Ren knocks on the door. He's genuinely annoyed, even though the topic being covered (something about one of Lainey's friends dating a freshman, instead of a senior) has absolutely nothing to do with him. Then he remembers what Ren did for him earlier, and his face softens. He looks to Lainey and says, "It sounds like he needs me. He's like some sort of foreign exchange student, and I have to help him out."

Lainey looks back and says, "Will you come back later? I wouldn't mind seeing you again."

Sean pauses for an instant as he thinks about what that means. It's pretty obvious what she's saying, and he swiftly comes to his decision.

"Sure. I usually get off work a little later in the day. Maybe sometime on Sunday," he says, remembering that the bookstore closes early on Fridays (and is closed all Saturday) for some sort of religious reason. Lainey smiles back at him.

"See you then, Sean," she says. Sean smiles back, a little awkwardly, and heads out into the main area. He looks to Ren, and waits for Lainey to go by before he says anything.

"Were you spying on me?" he asks Ren. "That is not groovy at all."

"Groovy?" Ren blinked in genuine surprise. "Did you actually just say groovy?" Man, that was old even in Japan twenty years ago. But that was besides the point. "Listen, I'm sorry about that. If you want, I'll put in a good word for you or something later. But for right now, we need to focus on something else. Namely, I need you to tell me where Icarus is. Like, right now."

Ren squared his shoulders and brought himself up to his full height, which was shorter than Sean, but he hoped he'd at least be able to convince him he was serious. "There were very few people at the store where I saved your father from getting his head blown off. You said it was a man that talked to you, and I'm guessing that you're not on a first-name basis with the Centurion."

"The only other person it could have possibly been was Icarus." Ren poked Sean in the chest. "In other words, you from the future. I don't have the time to screw around here, Sean. I need to know what he told you, and where he is. He's my only way home." He put his hands on his hips and glared at the taller boy. "So what's it going to be?" Unfriendly, yes, but he'd been getting more and more agitated the longer they were back here. He, and everyone that wasn't supposed to be here, needed to get back now.

"Groovy?" Ren blinked in genuine surprise. "Did you actually just say groovy?" Man, that was old even in Japan twenty years ago. But that was besides the point. "Listen, I'm sorry about that. If you want, I'll put in a good word for you or something later. But for right now, we need to focus on something else. Namely, I need you to tell me where Icarus is. Like, right now."

Ren squared his shoulders and brought himself up to his full height, which was shorter than Sean, but he hoped he'd at least be able to convince him he was serious. "There were very few people at the store where I saved your father from getting his head blown off. You said it was a man that talked to you, and I'm guessing that you're not on a first-name basis with the Centurion."

"The only other person it could have possibly been was Icarus." Ren poked Sean in the chest. "In other words, you from the future. I don't have the time to screw around here, Sean. I need to know what he told you, and where he is. He's my only way home." He put his hands on his hips and glared at the taller boy. "So what's it going to be?" Unfriendly, yes, but he'd been getting more and more agitated the longer they were back here. He, and everyone that wasn't supposed to be here, needed to get back now.

"Which things do you need? Do you know any more about magic than I do? I lack the spark needed, it seems. I could never get his spells to work for me."

Lynn shrugs and holds up her hands. "I really don't know; in the movies there's always like a dog-eared journal that practically screams 'I’m full of clues!', but I doubt we'll get that lucky."

She crosses over to the expansion side of the store, heading back to the storage room she recalls Grandpa telling her not to enter as a child, one of the few times she actually listened to an adult's warning. On a few occasions, he had brought out a few odds and ends that he felt were safe for her to look at: a gold lame turban, some white evening gloves, a few posters and handbills. She had pored over them like diminutive archeologist sniffing out traces of a long-lost tribe.

"As far as me and magic goes-" Lynn stops outside the storage room, spreads her arms dramatically and poof!, she's wearing the classic combo of top hat, tails and tights. "This is about as magical as I get; changing my appearance and a few other things, but no spells or anything really cool."

"Which things do you need? Do you know any more about magic than I do? I lack the spark needed, it seems. I could never get his spells to work for me."

Lynn shrugs and holds up her hands. "I really don't know; in the movies there's always like a dog-eared journal that practically screams 'I’m full of clues!', but I doubt we'll get that lucky."

She crosses over to the expansion side of the store, heading back to the storage room she recalls Grandpa telling her not to enter as a child, one of the few times she actually listened to an adult's warning. On a few occasions, he had brought out a few odds and ends that he felt were safe for her to look at: a gold lame turban, some white evening gloves, a few posters and handbills. She had pored over them like diminutive archeologist sniffing out traces of a long-lost tribe.

"As far as me and magic goes-" Lynn stops outside the storage room, spreads her arms dramatically and poof!, she's wearing the classic combo of top hat, tails and tights. "This is about as magical as I get; changing my appearance and a few other things, but no spells or anything really cool."

Sean cuts off Ren after he asks (well, demands to know) where Icarus is, looking annoyed.

"I don't even know who that is. If you..." he starts to say, as Ren cuts him off in return. Ren also doesn't hesitate to use what leverage he has over Sean, and though his lips set with a frown, Sean doesn't say anything. When Ren says, "Icarus - in other words, you from the future," Sean's expression changes from angry (and growing more so after the finger poke) to a blank mask of a face that would be the envy of any Japanese companyman.

"He told me you saved Dad's life, and that you were the closest thing to a friend he'd had for a long time. Then he told me to go home. I don't know where he is," he says tonelessly. Nanowire can hear the truth in his words, for all the good that it does him. At this point, Sean looks like he's shutting down emotionally. He's been through too much today to be able to deal with any sort of drama.

Surprisingly, Lynn's transformation draws less of a reaction from her grandfather than the admission that she will be? is? his granddaughter. He opens the door for her.

"Let's hope there's something here, anyway," he says. He flips on a light inside, allowing Lynn to see what things are still there. Most everything has been packed away in black suitcases and trunks. There's a layer of dust over everything in the room; it looks like Mr. Silberman hasn't been back here in some time. There's also a sheet flung over something against one of the walls. It feels... odd to Lynn, almost like it's a smell that she can't identify, or an itch she can't scratch.

Sean cuts off Ren after he asks (well, demands to know) where Icarus is, looking annoyed.

"I don't even know who that is. If you..." he starts to say, as Ren cuts him off in return. Ren also doesn't hesitate to use what leverage he has over Sean, and though his lips set with a frown, Sean doesn't say anything. When Ren says, "Icarus - in other words, you from the future," Sean's expression changes from angry (and growing more so after the finger poke) to a blank mask of a face that would be the envy of any Japanese companyman.

"He told me you saved Dad's life, and that you were the closest thing to a friend he'd had for a long time. Then he told me to go home. I don't know where he is," he says tonelessly. Nanowire can hear the truth in his words, for all the good that it does him. At this point, Sean looks like he's shutting down emotionally. He's been through too much today to be able to deal with any sort of drama.

Surprisingly, Lynn's transformation draws less of a reaction from her grandfather than the admission that she will be? is? his granddaughter. He opens the door for her.

"Let's hope there's something here, anyway," he says. He flips on a light inside, allowing Lynn to see what things are still there. Most everything has been packed away in black suitcases and trunks. There's a layer of dust over everything in the room; it looks like Mr. Silberman hasn't been back here in some time. There's also a sheet flung over something against one of the walls. It feels... odd to Lynn, almost like it's a smell that she can't identify, or an itch she can't scratch.

"He didn't tell you," Renichi said in an awed tone. Then he chuckled without mirth. "Of course he didn't. For once, it's not him that's screwing up the future. It's me." Ren sagged against the wall behind him and rubbed his forehead with one hand. He didn't know if it was possible for him to have a headache anymore, but if he could, he'd soon be developing one. "Can't believe I screwed up like that," he muttered under his breath.

"And the closest thing to a friend?" Ren took his hand away. There was a crooked smile on his face, as if he couldn't quite believe what he'd heard. "This is all academic now, because the future is screwed up beyond repair, but do you want to know how he and I met? We got in a fight." He shook his head. "Oh yeah, not an actual battle, just some juvenile slap fight. And he destroyed me."

"Took me apart like that," Ren snapped his fingers, then shrugged. "Not exactly the best way to start a working relationship, but there you go. It's really sad that he..." Ren left off, then looked as if he was thinking about something. "Although I suppose he's my best friend too," he said softly. "God, how frigging pathetic is that?" Ren was quiet after that revelation, just standing with his back up against the wall.

"He didn't tell you," Renichi said in an awed tone. Then he chuckled without mirth. "Of course he didn't. For once, it's not him that's screwing up the future. It's me." Ren sagged against the wall behind him and rubbed his forehead with one hand. He didn't know if it was possible for him to have a headache anymore, but if he could, he'd soon be developing one. "Can't believe I screwed up like that," he muttered under his breath.

"And the closest thing to a friend?" Ren took his hand away. There was a crooked smile on his face, as if he couldn't quite believe what he'd heard. "This is all academic now, because the future is screwed up beyond repair, but do you want to know how he and I met? We got in a fight." He shook his head. "Oh yeah, not an actual battle, just some juvenile slap fight. And he destroyed me."

"Took me apart like that," Ren snapped his fingers, then shrugged. "Not exactly the best way to start a working relationship, but there you go. It's really sad that he..." Ren left off, then looked as if he was thinking about something. "Although I suppose he's my best friend too," he said softly. "God, how frigging pathetic is that?" Ren was quiet after that revelation, just standing with his back up against the wall.

"You know, if your future is all screwed up, why don't you just stay here?" Sean asks Ren. "It looks like your girlfriend likes her uncle a lot better than she likes her parents, and I'm sure you could find a place here. They can always use more heroes in Freedom City." He lightly pulls on him to get him off the wall. Sean knows that standing around when you're feeling bad just leaves you to feel worse. He's a little surprised at how heavy Ren feels, growing more surprised if Ren doesn't move with him. For a guy a few inches shorter than he is, Ren shouldn't weigh that much.

"You know, if your future is all screwed up, why don't you just stay here?" Sean asks Ren. "It looks like your girlfriend likes her uncle a lot better than she likes her parents, and I'm sure you could find a place here. They can always use more heroes in Freedom City." He lightly pulls on him to get him off the wall. Sean knows that standing around when you're feeling bad just leaves you to feel worse. He's a little surprised at how heavy Ren feels, growing more surprised if Ren doesn't move with him. For a guy a few inches shorter than he is, Ren shouldn't weigh that much.

Meanwhile, in another part of the city, Icarus is flying over downtown, looking down at the people driving around. This sort of freedom is a sharp contrast to what he had had since the Terminus Invasion.

Something catches the corner of his eye, or whatever exactly the radar corresponds to. He swings his head over and sees an apartment building on fire. For a second, he's about to pass it by. He didn't cause it, and there's always plenty of heroes to fight the good fight against random property damage. Then he sees a person leaning out of the window of one of the lower floors, and it looks like a child being held out.

The helm grows over his head as he swoops over. For whatever reason, he doesn't like the idea of seeing the smoke next to his flesh, even though he knows that the battlesuit's magic will protect him. It's when the child falls from the woman's grasp, either on purpose or by accident, that he curses and flies as fast as he can. He doesn't care about the sonic burst that will follow, but when he intercepts the child, he catches it safely, moving with it so that it doesn't stop just as suddenly as if it hit the ground.

He lands and hands the kid off to someone standing nearby, then rockets back up to reach the woman. He wraps one arm around her and lifts her out, carrying her down to reach her child. Old habits die hard, and he still doesn't speak as he works. He ignores what she's saying - some thanks, or asking where her child is. Now that he's gotten started, he has to clean it up completely.

"Otherwise, some hero will think I did it," he thinks to himself. He doesn't remember that he's not a villain here and now, and that most heroes don't assume the worst of people who are rescuing innocents. Even so, there's not much that gravity powers can do against a fire, and it takes hours to try to make a magical device. Fortunately, the problem is about to resolve itself.

From the top of the building, a cold wind starts to blow down. The flames extinguish themselves in short order, and not even embers remain. Icarus looks up with the rest of the crowd as the Centurion descends, landing in front of him. He's about to bolt when the Centurion speaks to him.

"Thank you for saving that child. I could have reached him, but it seems like you can fly faster than I can," he says. He holds out his hand to shake. Icarus lifts his hand up and shakes the Centurion's hand, somewhat dazed. That's the second time in his life that the Centurion thanked him, and he died after the first.

"I... it's nothing. You would have done the same thing if I wasn't here," Icarus says. "I should go."

The Centurion looks at him a little strangely, and Icarus is thankful that the helm was put up so that he can't see his face. "Then again, maybe he can," a little voice in his head says. "Can he see through solid objects?"

"I'm supposed to go to ASTRO Labs. I need to get back," he says a little quickly to fill the silence.

Centurion nods, seeming to understand. "So it's an experimental suit. I'll escort you in case there's trouble. Our work is done here." He lifts off the ground, waiting for Icarus to follow. With an inward grimace, Icarus lifts off, and the two of them start off towards ASTRO Labs once again.

Meanwhile, in another part of the city, Icarus is flying over downtown, looking down at the people driving around. This sort of freedom is a sharp contrast to what he had had since the Terminus Invasion.

Something catches the corner of his eye, or whatever exactly the radar corresponds to. He swings his head over and sees an apartment building on fire. For a second, he's about to pass it by. He didn't cause it, and there's always plenty of heroes to fight the good fight against random property damage. Then he sees a person leaning out of the window of one of the lower floors, and it looks like a child being held out.

The helm grows over his head as he swoops over. For whatever reason, he doesn't like the idea of seeing the smoke next to his flesh, even though he knows that the battlesuit's magic will protect him. It's when the child falls from the woman's grasp, either on purpose or by accident, that he curses and flies as fast as he can. He doesn't care about the sonic burst that will follow, but when he intercepts the child, he catches it safely, moving with it so that it doesn't stop just as suddenly as if it hit the ground.

He lands and hands the kid off to someone standing nearby, then rockets back up to reach the woman. He wraps one arm around her and lifts her out, carrying her down to reach her child. Old habits die hard, and he still doesn't speak as he works. He ignores what she's saying - some thanks, or asking where her child is. Now that he's gotten started, he has to clean it up completely.

"Otherwise, some hero will think I did it," he thinks to himself. He doesn't remember that he's not a villain here and now, and that most heroes don't assume the worst of people who are rescuing innocents. Even so, there's not much that gravity powers can do against a fire, and it takes hours to try to make a magical device. Fortunately, the problem is about to resolve itself.

From the top of the building, a cold wind starts to blow down. The flames extinguish themselves in short order, and not even embers remain. Icarus looks up with the rest of the crowd as the Centurion descends, landing in front of him. He's about to bolt when the Centurion speaks to him.

"Thank you for saving that child. I could have reached him, but it seems like you can fly faster than I can," he says. He holds out his hand to shake. Icarus lifts his hand up and shakes the Centurion's hand, somewhat dazed. That's the second time in his life that the Centurion thanked him, and he died after the first.

"I... it's nothing. You would have done the same thing if I wasn't here," Icarus says. "I should go."

The Centurion looks at him a little strangely, and Icarus is thankful that the helm was put up so that he can't see his face. "Then again, maybe he can," a little voice in his head says. "Can he see through solid objects?"

"I'm supposed to go to ASTRO Labs. I need to get back," he says a little quickly to fill the silence.

Centurion nods, seeming to understand. "So it's an experimental suit. I'll escort you in case there's trouble. Our work is done here." He lifts off the ground, waiting for Icarus to follow. With an inward grimace, Icarus lifts off, and the two of them start off towards ASTRO Labs once again.

Lynn peers around for a few moments, looking over all the trunks and such, but her eyes keep going back to the mysterious covered object; at length, she sighs, cocks her hat to one side, and strides over to it.

"Who can resist pulling a sheet off?" She yanks it free, filled with a mixture of hope and dread.

Lynn peers around for a few moments, looking over all the trunks and such, but her eyes keep going back to the mysterious covered object; at length, she sighs, cocks her hat to one side, and strides over to it.

"Who can resist pulling a sheet off?" She yanks it free, filled with a mixture of hope and dread.

The sheet is pulled back to reveal a large standing mirror. The edges are gilded wood, and the mirror itself is a little smudged. Mr. Silberman begins to say, "That mirror was used for one of his disappearing acts..." but stops as he looks at the mirror. He is reflected in it, but Grimalkin is not visible. He puts a hand on her shoulder as if to assure himself that she is real.

"It's never done that before."

The sheet is pulled back to reveal a large standing mirror. The edges are gilded wood, and the mirror itself is a little smudged. Mr. Silberman begins to say, "That mirror was used for one of his disappearing acts..." but stops as he looks at the mirror. He is reflected in it, but Grimalkin is not visible. He puts a hand on her shoulder as if to assure himself that she is real.

Ren raised an eyebrow at Sean's mostly unsuccessful attempt to pull him off the wall. "I'm heavier than I look," he explained, then pushed himself to a standing position. "And I'm getting less and less worried about paradoxes as we go on. I know just enough about parachronic theory to be dangerous, but assuming a lateral spacial curve along which time flows, our actions here should have had a far-reaching butterfly effect long ago."

He looked out where Lynn was before and frowned when it appeared she was no longer there. "I don't know what she wants. We... well, we only met recently." Absurdly recently, he thought. "If she wants to stay, that's fine. I just don't know if I can do the same."

"C'mon, let's go find my wayward 'girlfriend'," he said, walking into the front room and looking around for her.

Ren raised an eyebrow at Sean's mostly unsuccessful attempt to pull him off the wall. "I'm heavier than I look," he explained, then pushed himself to a standing position. "And I'm getting less and less worried about paradoxes as we go on. I know just enough about parachronic theory to be dangerous, but assuming a lateral spacial curve along which time flows, our actions here should have had a far-reaching butterfly effect long ago."

He looked out where Lynn was before and frowned when it appeared she was no longer there. "I don't know what she wants. We... well, we only met recently." Absurdly recently, he thought. "If she wants to stay, that's fine. I just don't know if I can do the same."

"C'mon, let's go find my wayward 'girlfriend'," he said, walking into the front room and looking around for her.

Lynn is struck dumb for a few moments, then waves her arms around like that would somehow make her visible, but of course nothing happens. "Wow. So either I've become a vampire...who walks around in daylight and doesn't drink blood, or...or I don't know what. Okay, let's find Ren and see if he has a reflection."

The young heroine heads to where she last saw the two boys; she has largely forgotten the new outfit she is wearing by the time she finds them in the front of the shop. "Oh hey, there you are: I think I found this magic mirror or something, and I want you to stand in front of it to test a theory."

Lynn is struck dumb for a few moments, then waves her arms around like that would somehow make her visible, but of course nothing happens. "Wow. So either I've become a vampire...who walks around in daylight and doesn't drink blood, or...or I don't know what. Okay, let's find Ren and see if he has a reflection."

The young heroine heads to where she last saw the two boys; she has largely forgotten the new outfit she is wearing by the time she finds them in the front of the shop. "Oh hey, there you are: I think I found this magic mirror or something, and I want you to stand in front of it to test a theory."