All the News That's Fit (IC, Open)

Elena glared at John out of the corner of her eye. She tapped a few keys on her console, and the dozens of news broadcasts from around the world muted. She turned away from the missing persons report showing on the central monitor, giving John her full attention.

[bg=#BF0000]"So, despite the fact that he still has this number, still knows the location of my headquarters, despite the fact that he has half a dozen different ways of getting in touch with me, he shouldn't bother to consult both sides of a story before printing it? He should just abandon the fundamental practices of good journalism, a field in which his family's paper has been setting the standard for generations? All the times I've helped save this entire city from tyrrany and destruction, even at the cost of my own life, they buy me not even enough benefit of the doubt or professional courtesy to warn me before the article goes to print? It shouldn't even occur to a man who served in the Freedom League alongside me for sixteen years that I might have reasons for my actions? He should just leap to the assumption that I've become a wayward soul who must be publicly shamed back onto the path of righteousness?"

"You don't think maybe that's just a little irresponsible, especially for a veteran superhero and newsman like Fletcher? He should know better. Why do you think I spend so much time and effort on reconnaissance? Because with everything we do, everything we're involved in at any given point in time, lives hang in the balance. Making assumptions without getting all the facts first gets people killed. And that will always be more important than tabloid journalism, no matter how curious the citizens of Freedom City may or may not be about who I happen to be sleeping with."

"Gods, John, do you really think this is about personal humiliation? I am in the very delicate process of guiding a former soldier and superhero back out of the shadows, and to that end, she is helping me save millions of lives. I don't need Fletcher driving her back over the other side of the fence she's straddling, and I certainly don't need him blowing her cover before her mission is complete!"

"My career ended because I gave my life in the line of duty. Fletcher Beaumont's career ended because he couldn't control his own addictions. And now, by focusing on doing whatever it takes to sell the most papers, regardless of whether the information contained within is completely factual or in the public's best interests, he's managed to heap disgrace upon both of his family's legacies. If I am to be judged, it should not be by him. Or you, for that matter."[/bg]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And you can't judge him," snarled Arrowhawk, the John persona temporarily gone. "In the past couple of minutes, you've mentioned his alcoholism, directly or obliquely, twice. Now, scale that up to a few decades."

"His career as Bowman was defined by one action, and it's all that gets mentioned. Should he feel bitter and pull crap like this? No, I fully agree. Do I feel he's entirely unjustifed? Well, let's just say I empathise with the man more than a little."

He strode forward, ignoring his limp and tossing his cane aside. Ouch. Stupid need to prove a point. "Or perhaps he didn't know there was any cover or reconnaisance, and thus assumed there wasn't. I mean, I've gone deep cover too. Did I get caught and plastered over the tabloids because my knickers were around my ankles?"

Arrowhawk fixed Scarab with a glare. "Fletcher Beaumont and you are both in the wrong. Difference is, he's not the most powerful telepath on Earth, nor is his judgement clearly clouded by love."

"And you can't judge him," snarled Arrowhawk, the "John" persona temporarily gone. "In the past couple of minutes, you've mentioned his alcoholism, directly or obliquely, twice. Now, scale that up to a few decades."

[bg=#BF0000]"Yes, twice. Which is fewer times than same alcoholism very nearly got people killed."[/bg]

"His career as Bowman was defined by one action, and it's all that gets mentioned. Should he feel bitter and pull crap like this? No, I fully agree. Do I feel he's entirely unjustifed? Well, let's just say I empathise with the man more than a little."

[bg=#BF0000]"You have every reason to empathize with him, John. Because you also made mistakes which yielded similarly grievous consequences for others. The only reason you aren't sitting in a prison cell doing time for manslaughter right now is that I believe in you, and I was able to convince the majority of our former teammates that you were worthy of a second chance. Your gratitude is as awe-inspiring as ever, by the way."[/bg]

"Or perhaps he didn't know there was any cover or reconnaisance, and thus assumed there wasn't. I mean, I've gone deep cover too. Did I get caught and plastered over the tabloids because my knickers were around my ankles?"

[bg=#BF0000]"He obviously didn't know about our operation. Fletcher Beaumont isn't evil, just severely misguided. But his ignorance of the situation feeds directly into my point: Since he didn't have any idea what was really going on, he should have checked in with me before taking action. Especially such drastic action as this."[/bg] Elena smashed the newspaper next to the console with her fist. [bg=#BF0000]"He should have given me the benefit of the doubt, as I did him so many times over the years. I've earned it."[/bg]

Arrowhawk fixed Scarab with a glare. "Fletcher Beaumont and you are both in the wrong. Difference is, he's not the most powerful telepath on Earth, nor is his judgement clearly clouded by love."

Elena sighed, resting her elbow upon the counter and letting her face rest in her hand for a moment. [bg=#BF0000]"I can dispute the first half of your analysis, but I must admit the latter half is not entirely without merit. But my personal feelings for Talya are not my sole motivation in my effort to rehabilitate her. She was a hero once, and she has it within her to be one again. I would be a poor excuse for a lover or a hero if I didn't do everything in my power to help guide her back into the light."[/bg]

"Here's the issue," said John, his face softening. "I'm not sure you can do both. Is it an impossible situation by its very nature? No. Did you, of all the people, the Scarab's cover got blown... and I'm admittedly unfamiliar with Talya, but I've gathered she's adept at subterfuge."

He sighed. "You want my gratitude? This is it, not simpering, or fawning, or just mindlessly going with what you say, but this: if you of all people are making mistakes on this scale, I think you need to rethink this."

Elena stared down at the floor and stroked her chin thoughtfully. [bg=#BF0000]"I can't argue with that. This was a nearly unprecedented security disaster for me. Which implies that I'm...distracted. It's certainly something to think about."[/bg] She turned back to the computers. [bg=#BF0000]"In any event, I do have a lot of work to do. These cold cases aren't going to solve themselves. Feel free to make use of the rest of the facilities, but I'd like some privacy in the command center for the moment. When you're ready to leave, you can show yourself out. Your insights, while never flattering, are always appreciated. I'd say 'it's been a pleasure,' but we both know I'm a terrible liar."[/bg]

"Mmm-hmm," nodded John, picking up his cane and striding towards the door. "And we all know I'm at least honest about being a jerk."

He suddenly stopped and paused in the doorway. "But good luck with the whole relationship thing." Collapsing his cane into its compact form and walking off with the smallest limp he could manage, just to prove he could, John moved off away from the command centre.