Holding Out for a Hero

Electra

"OK now that thats cleared up." Ace said, "On to planning."

He took a seat on the couch and gathered his thoughts. "I can likely find out any official information as to Moiras parentage but when it comes to gods and magic doctoring is a definite possibility, even memories coudl be tampered with." He said.

He glanced to Phantom, "Can you tell what happened here? get some line on what sort of dimensional activity led to this?" he asked. "I know a preistess who fallows a hellenistec brand of paganism she may be able to divine answers for us as well."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor watched Jack while he spoke and although her expression was troubled, she nodded and slipped one hand in his to give it a little squeeze. It was all a little daunting but explanation given, she really didn't want to get into any further details in the middle of all of this. Nor did she want to confront the whole 'had sex with a goddess' thing. It might end up giving her a complex. Taylor left her hand in his, as she turned her attention back to the group.

"I can cast a spell that will detect any magic in the area but casting to find trace elements will be harder. I don't think it's entirely neccessary as I think Stesha's memories will prove more useful." She turned her face to the other woman, "Was there anything she accepted? A present of some kind, maybe?"

Stesha had been staring at Dark Star like he was more of a strange inscrutable creature from outer space than usual, but she turned her attention fully back when Taylor asked her the question. "Um, I think they sent her clothes, and she put them on. A big white silk sheet like a tablecloth for a toga, some strappy sandals, and a little crown." She pointed to the cedar box, still sitting empty on the loveseat. "She put the crown on, and that's when she started talking in the different voice, the deeper and echoey voice. She disappeared just a few minutes later. If any of it had any powers, I don't think she knew about them. It was more like getting dressed for a trip you don't want to take but have to go on. I'm not even sure if she knew it when the other voice started talking."

Jack squeezed Taylor's hand, giving her a grateful smile at the show of support. "Do any of us know any spellcasters who specialize in Greco-Roman style magic, who might be able to channel one of the gods directly? That might at least give us an idea of what's going on in Olympus." He knew plenty of magicians like that, but they didn't specialize in the sort of magical arts that he wanted to show off to his friends. And their gods weren't suitable for polite company. "In my experience, casters who draw their power directly from gods can be dangerous in these situations, Ace. You never know who's side they'll be on."

Dark Star shrugged. "I know little to nothing on the mystical matters. And what little connections I have, I'm certain Ace has better options. But tell me what you need me to do and I'll do it." He'd learned a little about the occult since working with the Knights but it was minor at best.

Ace smiled at Jack resisting the urge to tell him not to worry his pretty little head about such things while the grown ups were talking.

"Angela is trustworthy, aditionally I woudl be quite surprised if the Olympians are of one mind on this issue." He replied to Jacks concern instead.

"Did you note anything odd about the crown?" Ace asked Stesha gently, "Such Rainments have a precident in greek mythology of being traps at times."

Stesha closed her eyes and thought back, trying to sort through the confusion of those last few minutes. Finally she shook her head. "I can't remember," she admitted. "It was just a silver circle, like a flat band, not a tiara like girls wear for prom. I remember it was really shiny, like just polished or brand new, and it didn't seem to have any decorations on it. She kept playing with it once she took it out of the box, holding it and turning it around in her hands, but I don't know if that even means anything. I helped her with the toga, and it seemed weird too, just for a minute, like the cloth was moving on its own, but I don't know if I'm just trying to see things that weren't there." She put her fisted hands together, then pressed the knuckles against her lips as she thought, but nothing else seemed ready to shake itself loose from her memory.

Taylor pulled a cloth out of her bomber-jacket's pocket and used it to pull the box closer, like it was evidence in some sort of crime scene. Twisting it one way and then another, she shared her thoughts aloud, "Whether Divine was mortal-born or was left on Earth-Prime as an infant, she couldn't have had her full-fledged goddess-hood. Even as impowered as we all know she is, Moira pales in comparison to an actual Olympian god. I think that whatever was in this box also contained the divinity inherent. When she accepted this present, she accepted her nature and automatically was removed by the nature of The Pact."

She glanced up at the others, "Pandora's Box. The Trojan Horse. Any number of Greek myths contain the 'be careful what you accept' parable. For good reason. Its a favorite tactic of that pantheon. We should have Ace see if his friend can summon Moira. Stesha's the closest to her, so I think she ought go along. I think between the two of them, they're most likely to be able to tell if she's been coerced. I'll have to see if I can do some research on the specifics of Moira's situation and this box."

"I'll help with that," Jack suggested immediately. "I know something about arcane magic, and I could really work to your advantage." He stood up, unconsciously dusting off his lap as if to get away from a conversation that had been at once frustrating and rather creepy. "If nothing else, I'll be another pair of eyes and hands with the books and such."

Ace smirked at Jacks suggestion, "Well I think we have a plan then."

"So Taylor and Jack will research the magical end of the mystery and see exactly how she was transported, Barring distractions how long should that take?" He inquired of Taylor.

Turning to the other half of the room he continued to outline the plan, "Meanwhile Stesha and I will try and contact Moira and ensure she is being held against her will and any information of use she can offer and perhaps find aid within the Pantheon."

He looked expectantly to the others fully prepared to cut off any further squabling.

Dark Star nodded. There really was little he could do here, despite his desire to help. "That sounds workable. When you have need of me, contact me. I shall there when I'm needed." He looked around to make sure no one wanted anything from him immediately. "If no one needs me right now, I left a satellite in a deteriorating high orbit that I should realign. Good luck to everyone." With a final nod to Stesha (since he couldn't smile at her), he stepped back and started his slow ascent.

Taylor nodded and flipped the box closed before she absorbed into the void for storage. Without the cloak to sheild the action, the hand she extended towards it rippled with the void appearing in place of her skin and the box vanished with a soundless 'pop' of displaced air. She stood in Jack's wake and gave Ace an irritated look at his insinuation, "I can't venture a guess. I'll see what traces of magic I can detect on it but I may end up having to talk to a few sources knowledgeble on matters arcane. Rest assured that I will manage as quickly as possible, any 'distractions' aside."

Not that she didn't have matters to discuss with Jack but that was entirely besides the point.

Holding her knapsack in an embrace tight enough to make it bulge at the top and bottom, Stesha watched Dark Star leave, then turned to Ace. "Let me know when there's something I can do to help," she told him. "Maybe she'll find a way to get in touch somehow, and that'll make it all easier. But I guess research and waiting are all we can do right now. Thank you all for coming and helping," she added quietly. "I know Moira will thank you too, when she can."

She waited while the little meeting broke up, staying on the couch until everyone was gone and everything was very quiet again. Finally she pushed herself off the couch and began gathering the plants from around the living room, carrying them one at a time out to her car. With the last one in her arms, she paused in the doorway. "I don't know if you can hear me," she said to the room at large, "but if you can, you should try not to worry. We're going to find you. But if there's anything you can do on your end... well, we could use a little help." Stesha turned off the light on her way out.