Southside

Freedom City, New Jersey

Tuesday April 9, 2024. 4:30 PM

Lexa Venn was busy in her new garage, located not far from Jordan International Airport in the southern part of Southside. The young woman had recently made the relocation back to Freedom City after some time in Bedlam in the mid-West. It had taken a bit of work, but she had been able to open the Chop Shop to start trying to provide souped up vehicles to the large number of superheroes active in the city.

Of course, to help pay the bills until she could get that line of business established, she was also taking more typical mechanical work on sports cars and other non-stock vehicles. Lexa was just finishing up work on a Porche when she heard a voice call from the open door to the garage.

"Pardon me, do you service electric vehicles?" It was a male voice, speaking with a distinct British accent. Turing around, Lexa saw a teenager, about sixteen, maybe seventeen, standing at the open bay door, he was just a bit under six feet tall, with short blond hair and bright blue eyes that seemed almost to burst with energy. Standing next to him was a teenage Asian girl about the same age, who was about Lexa’ s height with dark blue hair.

It took Lexa a moment, but as the teenage boy smiled, she recognized him, although the last time she had seen him was when he had been ten years old. "It is good to see you again Rev. Been awhile." Lawrence Harrow said with a wide smile.

Lawrence had invited Mizuki to join him this afternoon after classes had finished to visit an old friend who had recently returned to Freedom City and opened a garage in Southside. On the drive over, he had explained that Rev had been one of the Claremont students that had been watching him when he was ten and the cosmic entity they had recently encountered had first tried to kidnap him, leading to them all ended up on CoVic Station 25,000 light years away.

Rev

Rev dropped her spanner and threw her arms up in joy. She was oily, she was greasy, and so were her clothes. Just the way she liked it. For a second, her eyes shone red. 

"Lawrence!"

She gave the young man a massive hug, smearing engine oil all over him. Her synthetic-plastic skin was still intact, mainly. A few dots of ripped plastic showed the chrome underneath, and the power of her limbs was clear. 

"You grew up! I guess thats time distortion blah blah mumbo jump dilation distillation thingy, am I right?" she said with a wink. "But seriously... you are like ten feet taller! what happened to you?"

She cast her eyes over to his companion. 

"And is this your girlfriend? Jeesh! You passed me over for her?"

She gave him another wink, hoping he would blush beetroot red. After all, that was the joy of teenagers. Making them blush. 

"Electric cars? I handle them. But I gotta say, and I know its bad for the planet... I'm old fashioned. I like my engines to Rev!" she laughed. 

Torpedo Lass II

Mizuki was impressed by Rev's garage. She looked about for a moment ignoring the banter between Lawrence and Rev, more entranced by the tools and what was being worked upon... until she heard "Girlfriend."

She straightened the white sailor collared jumpsuit she was wearing. "Girlfriend, and occasional lifeguard." She said with a wink. "But wow... this Garage?!? Off the dang chain!"

"I mean, it's not like the maintenance hangar for a fighter jet... dad showed me one once on base... but this is... hooo."

She held a finger up as if to pause a response. "And electric engines can rev too, if given enough power."

She tilted her head slightly. "Cyborg or Android? Noticed the chrome."

Timeout

Lawrence grinned as Rev gave him a big hug, not seeming to mind the oil and grease she got onto his clothes as he gave her a quick hug in return.

The blond teen gave her a grin as she mentioned how much taller he was. "Just a result of the normal passage of time, no manipulations or the like." He replied.

When Rev asked about Mizuki, if Lawrence was embarrassed, he did not show it, his grin widening a bit as Mizuki came over and answered Rev's question. "Rev, this is Mizuki." Lawrence replied. "She is at Claremont with me. And she has heard the full story of our little misadventure to CoVic Station."

At the discussion about electric and gas-powered cars, the teen remained silent. While he was rather familiar with the differences between them, he had not come out here for a debate on the subject. Instead, he just gave Rev a smile. "Well, my mom has never really been too into cars, for reasons I am sure you can guess. She really only has any to keep up appearances."

"Anyway, when she learned you had returned to town, she let me know and told me to bring by the BMW for a checkup, which gave me a good excuse to come and say hi." He stated, gesturing with his thumb to the electric BWM SUV parked in front of the garage.

Rev

"Electric heh? Better for the planet. But I wish they had that... sound, you know?"

He hiked a thumb at her Dune Buggy in the corner. Wire frame, enormous tyres. "I wish someone would just, you know, cool the planet, fix the carbon, and devise some plant based engine oil. Like you! You were pretty smart, right?"

She walked to the BMW and flipped the lid. "Looks pretty cool to me. Obviously I will have to test it out by taking it for a super fast spin around the nearest desert. That's ok, right? And maybe give you a driving lesson? You must be a least thirteen by now. Easy old enough to drive!" she added, with a wink. 

"And maybe your girlfriend too?" she said, nodding at Mizuki. "You look like you could do with a turbo-charged tricycle armed with photon torpedoes! Pyeow! Pyeow-pyeow!"

Torpedo Lass II

"How about a small bus-sized vehicle that can dive to the bottom of the Challenger Deep with a minimum of 10 passengers onboard, equipped with a supercavitation drive for sea use, and for surface operation has deployable floats for added stability in any weather conditions, along with a micro-torpedo/missile system? With countermeasures, of course."

She grinned. "Been thinking about something to transport the squad in, in case there is some sort of undersea extra-curriculars. But can float fully flooded, and well... be street legal."

"Then again a small two-person submersible/car might be lovely." She said looking over to Lawrence. Then the thought crossed her mind...

"CoVic, huh... Just another ocean to explore, space..."

Edited by The Sailor
Lost a thought in the initial post...

Timeout

Lawrence gave Rev a small smirk as she mentioned needing to take it out for a test drive as she did the checkup. "Unless you are thinking some dunes along the shore, it will be a long drive to get to any deserts. And thanks for the offer, but I get by well enough driving, and not really expecting to have to engage in any sort of high maneuver driving someday. I am also mainly use a car to keep up appearances."

The blond teen the focused over to Mizuki, smiling as she talked with Rev about what she might want in terms of a custom vehicle. The smile widened as she commented about a two-person submersible. "That does sound lovely."

Lawrence grinned as she turned her thoughts to space and how it was like another ocean. "I think I have been saying that for a bit now. If nothing else, think of all the worlds that are almost entirely nothing but water that are out there."

Rev

"Hey, its never too early too learn how to drive! Who knows when you might need to chase Doctor Tonic through the streets of Freedom City in a super-spy car armed with automatic glue guns, eh?" said Rev, giving a little elbow. 

She tapped her chin at the thought of a Super-Submarine.

"That does sound cool," she said to Mizuki. "And given enough time and cash, I could probably make that for you. But honestly, I am a mechanic, not an engineer. I can patch things up and build faster than anyone I know, except maybe those god-awful Speedsters like Velocity. But if you need design than maybe we need some proper scientist like Doctor Archeville. Although I have done a few repairs on Diamondlights submarine car. Very cool car, even if Diamondlight is a bit of a rich dick. What an ass, eh?"

"As for water planets, count me out! I rust!" she laughed. "And you can't drive on water planets!"

Torpedo Lass II

"Well, considering I've been starting to design different costumes for different missions... search and rescue... basic heroing... recreational... oceanographic research... stealth... I could come up with a drysuit design for ya. Also what's your weight in water? If all that tech makes you more an anchor than a cork, might design with neutral buoyancy in mind."

She scratched her chin. "Did get my SCUBA certs before getting my powers. Made my life so much easier... helps I know what basic materials I need."

"And yeah... I wager having even a small sub for two... might be a bit expensive. Outside my allowances that's for sure."

She turned to Lawrence. "Unless your folks' previous escapades led them to confiscating a cute little sub for us... Certain Rev could look over the internals to make sure it still goes too."

Edited by The Sailor