Students Squared [OPEN]

Claremont Academy, Jasmin Summer Administrative Building

Freedom City, New Jersey

February 1, 2024, 9:00 AM

Callie Summers, the headmistress of Claremont Academy led Iris and Daniel Evans into the main entryway of the administrative building after her meeting with the twins for their first day at the institution. The headmistress had surprised the twins by reveling that she was fully aware of their criminal background, while making it clear that she was more than willing to allow them to make a fresh start at the school. The headmistress promised they would be treated no different than any of the other students, noting nothing they were hardly the first metahuman teens to come to the school with a questionable or even criminal past.

The twins found another individual waiting for them when they arrived in the building’s main entrance, a tall, attractive teenage girl who appeared to be about eighteen. She had long red hair, bright green eyes and was dressed in a pair of jeans, a light grey sweater and a winter jacket.

"Mr. Evans, Ms. Evans, this is one of our Seniors, Bernadette O'Connell." Headmistress Summers said in greeting as she indicated the tall redhead. "I will leave you in her care to ensure everything is in order for your first day." She gave the twins a small smile, then a nod to Bernadette and made her way back toward her office.

"Hi, Iris an' Daniel right?" The redhead said with a smile, an Irish accent very evident as she spoke. "As the headmistress said, I'm here ta give you a tour o’ campus an' help you get settled in."

Cerebral and Cerebellum 

To say they were excited was an understatement. Though it was much easier to see on Daniel's face. He was grinning happily as he followed behind the Headmistress. She seemed nice enough as as far as the twins knew she was the only one who knew about their history...and they both wanted to keep it that way. 
The two had not gotten their uniforms yet, and as such were wearing casual clothes. Daniel had simple jeans, running shoes and a white t-shirt. He didn't have too much muscle to him but he wasn't a stick either. Iris, meanwhile, was wearing a black shirt and denim shorts today along with running shoes. 

As the duo were introduced to Bernadette. Daniel would step forward and offer his hand, while Iris gave a small but somewhat awkward wave. While he was grinning, she had a more neutral expression. 

"Hello! It's nice to meet you Bernadette! Indeed I am Daniel and that's my sister Iris!

The fact that they were twins was obvious as the two looked exactly the same. Same short, brown, hair and blue eyes. They were even the same height, 5'4, though one was obviously a boy and the other was a girl. 

"I hope we can get to know each other better in the coming years!" Daniel continued. 

Edited by Dracostern

Multi-Girl

Bernadette stood just under five foot ten and an athletic build. She gave the twins a warm smile as she shook Daniel’s hand (with a very firm grip) and returned Iris’ wave. Glancing back at Daniel she grinned slightly. "Well, unfortunately I'm graduatin' in about four months, but I am shoor we will run inta a number o' students you will be spendin' the next two an' a half years with here."

"We should get started, not goin' ta see much if we just stand here in the admin buildin' chattin’'." The redhead said as she indicated off towards a short hallway that led to a side door. "But, let us help you with yer bags." She said, as two exact duplicates of the Irish girl appeared on either side of her, each stepping towards one of the twins.

"We can take those." One of the duplicates stated, indicating the bags the twins were carrying.

"We'll drop 'em off in yer dorm rooms fer you." Added the other.

"Do you two have jackets?" Asked the original Bernadette. "It's rather cold out today, don' want you freezin' as we make our way around the campus."

Cerebral and Cerebellum 

"Oh wow!" Daniel gasped as Bernadette effectively cloned herself. That was a pretty handy power in his eyes. The two would drop the bags they were carrying/pulling with them and nodded their heads. 

"Just give me a second." Iris spoke now, she had not spoken earlier. The young woman looked at one of the zips of the bag she had with her, and a faint purple energy envolped it. Using telekinesis she would unzsip the bag and the purple energy would move from the zipper to some matching purple jackets and she pulled them out, her eyes following the movement of her powers. Soon Daniel had a jacket in his hands that he would put on. Not long after Iris had one on too and the bag was zipped closed. 

"Thanks Iris!"

"No problem Danny."

After the small exchange, the two were ready to follow Bernadette. Daniel would speak up. "Also you are only for another four months huh? Thank you for taking the time to show us around."

Edited by Dracostern

Multi-Girl

The three Bernadettes quietly watched as Iris used her telekinesis to remove the twins’ jackets from one of their bags, smiling slightly at the display of power. "Very good control." The original Bernadette commented when Iris was finished. Her duplicates picked up the twins’ bags, lifting them with ease as the Irish teen began leading them down the short hall and out of the building and onto the campus.

Outside, the air was cold and crisp, as one might expect for a New Jersey’s winter day. The side door put the group onto a path that led from the parking lot in front of the administrative building (where the twins had arrived earlier that morning) and toward the heart of the campus. As they went, Bernadette responded to Daniel's thanking her for giving them the tour. "One o' the things that might be expected o' ya when yer a senior. Though, you might be competin' with a couple o' overachievers from yer class when you all are seniors." She replied with a small grin. "I think the headmistress likes ta ask me ta do tour because I don' have ta miss class. Have another duplicate sittin' in one right now."

Claremont's grounds were pretty much what one might expect of an East Coast boarding school or an Ivy League college, spacious green spaces and large, Victorian style brick and stone buildings. As they went, Bernadette pointed to one such building which was north of the path they were walking on, across a large open space and partially behind the administrative building. "So, over there is the residential building fer staff that live on campus. Out past it to the north are athletic fields an' a pool." She began, before pointing over to the northest where there were two similar buildings next to each other. "Those are the student dorms, we will finish up the tour there later."

Sever

Ryan stepped out into the open grounds. He was tall and broad shouldered, with an old, worn denim jacket over a navy blue t-shirt and raggedy old, baggy blue jeans.

"Oh, hey Bernadette." He said, greeting the redhead with a certain tinge of nervousness. She was very pretty, after all, prettier than any girl he'd met at the orphanage.

"Oh, hey, I'm Ryan." he said, deliberately ignoring the floating luggage. "Nice to meet you. I just got here myself."

Cerebral and Cerebellum 

"Thank you."

Iris nodded her head at the compliment as she followed her brother and their new senior out of the building and into the cool air. The twins took the time to look around. This was a large place, at least to them. Daniel's eyes were wide with wonder as they followed Bernadette's finger, her pointing these things out just made everything easier as expected from a tour. 

At the comment about one of her doubles taking a class for her, both twins snickered a little bit as Iris spoke. "Heh...that is indeed a useful power." If only they had something like that but alas they did not. Which was fine. 
The two moved up a little bit, to get side by side with their guide and Daniel would speak up.

"
I have to ask this. Have their been any attacks on the school? Well I mean...there has to have been, but anything recent?"

Iris looked at her brother and raised an eyebrow before shrugging the feeling away, he was just a curious young man. 

As soon as Ryan appeared, Iris nodded her head in greetings. "
Nice to meet you, I'm Iris and that's Daniel." as if on cue, the brother would turn and wave at him. "Hey dude! Nice to meet you."

As the new student arrived to join the existing group, a large black bird flew overhead, giving a distinct and ominous "Caw! Caw! Caw!" before it landed in the grass at everyone's feet. After just a moment, a remarkable transformation took place as the bird unfolded itself into a young man. It was not a biological transformation, there was no snapping of limbs nor shedding of feathers - rather the bird's outline seemed to grow and change into the form of a tall, muscular fellow who looked like he might have been the quarterback of the high school football team - if this was an ordinary high school. He was wearing a T-shirt that declared his loyalty to Freedom City's football team - the Heroes. 

"Hello!" declared the young man, his voice deep, and British accent musical to an American's ears - but of course obviously Welsh to Bernadette. "I am Owain Celliwig. Welcome to Claremont Academy!" He bowed to the group, his bowl cut bouncing a little as he moved. "I am sorry I ran late, Bernadette," he added apologetically. "Were we discussing battles?" he asked seriously. "If you are worried, worry not; it has been sometime since Claremont fell victim to outside attack. There was that blaspheming fellow who mocked the plagues of Egypt, and of course the Christmas demon, but those were years ago, and no one was seriously hurt even then. These days, Claremont is among the safest and most warded places in this realm!" he added reassuringly. 

Multi-Girl

"Yeah, it can be handy." One of the duplicates replied to Iris' comments about Bernadette's powers.

As Ryan approached the group, the original Bernadette stopped so Iris and Daniel could get a chance to meet their classmate. Her two duplicates carrying the twins’ luggage continued towards the dorms, with Bernadette tossing them a pair of keys she had been provided in the office for the twins’ dorm rooms. She then focused on Ryan, giving him a smile. "Hey Ryan."

The redhead then regarded Daniel as he asked the questions about any recent attacks on the school. "Aye, that can happen from time ta time, but the school is pretty well set up ta deal with most situations. Not shoor you would call it an' 'attack,' but back at the start o' December, an extra-dimensional bein' known as Qurik dropped by an' wisked a bunch o’ us inta some other dimension ta have us compete in video games. Me an' some others ended up what was basically Assassin’s Creed, set in a completely inaccurate representation o' feudal Japan."

She then turned as Owain arrived, giving her fellow Senior a warm smile. "Mornin' Owain, this is Iris an' Daniel." The redhead stated, indicating the twins.

Cerebral and Cerebellum 

Daniel was about to say something again, but then paused as both he and Iris noticed the bird land and slowly transform into a young man in front of them. Though it would be more accurate to say that he transformed back into his regular form. It seems that the people at this school were just as diverse as they expected. Never a bad thing however, in fact Daniel was always excited to see new super powers!

"Nice to meet you Owain." The twins spoke at the same time. One would have expected this to happen sooner. They bowed their heads slightly in greetings before Daniel spoke up. 

"I see, well at least it hasn't been attacked recently! You'd think this would be supervillian central."

44 minutes ago, Thevshi said:

Aye, that can happen from time ta time, but the school is pretty well set up ta deal with most situations. Not shoor you would call it an' 'attack,' but back at the start o' December, an extra-dimensional bein' known as Qurik dropped by an' wisked a bunch o’ us inta some other dimension ta have us compete in video games. Me an' some others ended up what was basically Assassin’s Creed, set in a completely inaccurate representation o' feudal Japan."

Daniel blinked then he and Iris looked at each, blinked then looked over at Bernadette. 

"
You can't be serious-." Iris said.

"Nice to meet you. Welcome to Claremont. I haven't been here long either, but I've heard there has been some crazy #@$% around here. I'm Ryan. Also, this place is just chock full of superheroes, and a lot of superheroes have gone here. I have to imagine if this place was put under any serious attack, it would be defended pretty quickly."

He looked at each of the twins and nodded.

"Need any help, want any company..."

Owain winced at the story. "Yes, it was a - time. I believe the word used by scholars these days is - problematic?" For the benefit of the new arrivals, he said, "My, ah, foster sister is of Japanese heritage and she had much to say about Quirk afterwards." Bernadette had heard Neko grumbling about gaijin weeboo kami for days afterwards. "I know I would not have cared for a fellow who used my home to torment me, that's for sure." He looked at the twins and Ryan consideringly. Generally if students arrived on the scene without parents, cousins, or anyone from their clan accompanying them, it bespoke a good reason - a reason he would hardly pry into. "So," he asked the new people, "what do you like to do for fun? There is much training and preparation in Claremont, and much learning - but a great deal of fun! I have learned how to play video games, and toss the hackey-sack, and how to play baseball and football!" He grew more and more excited as he spoke, obviously delighted by these memories. 

Multi-Girl

"I think we all had a few choice words about Quirk afterwards." Bernadette stated with a small smirk, although she well remembered how upset Neko had been for some time afterward. Like Owain, the redhead did not blame her roommate at all about what Neko had thought of the whole thing.

She then grinned as Owain asked the twins, and to an extent Ryan, about their interests and began to talk about his own. "An' here I can recall when you only wanted ta talk about fencin' an' horseback ridin'." The Irish teen stated as she gave Owain a playful nudge.

"But, we should walk n' talk, otherwise we will never get these two ta where they need ta be." Bernadette stated as she gestured back down the path and began leading the group along as they walked parallel to a low wall to the sough of the path, which then turned to a gate in the wall an into a semi-enclosed section of the school grounds.

Off to their left were two somewhat smaller buildings, side by side, and past those, a much, much larger building that the path led directly towards. To the right was an area of well-manicured bushes, flowers and other plants.

Bernadette pointed off to the right to start. "Over there are the gardens. In the middle is a Japanese style zen garden. Tends ta be one o' the quitter an' more tranquil places on campus. So, good place ta go if you want ta get some peace n' quiet."

Cerebral and Cerebellum 

"Some company is fine Ryan, thank you!" Daniel replied to the other young man. 

The twins then looked at each other once more before shrugging at Bernadette's offer and started walking after her. Though they would answer Owain. First Daniel, he did seem to be more of the talkative one after all. So he turned to the other young man with a smile on his face. 

"Well I'm not really a sports person, mostly I'm into gaming but I have dabbled in acting! So if there is any way for me to do that I'd be like...really happy." That wild grin was almost infectious it seems as it made Iris smile a little, she was very proud of her brother for realizing some kind of dream, even if it took him a while to figure it out.

As the Zen Gardens were pointed out, the sister would make a mental note of that, she had a feeling that it would be a place worth visiting for her. "As for me.." She replied to Owain. "I don't mind some gaming but I prefer to read, I'm a bit of a book worm."

Rot

A rusty-hinged door in the art wing made a squeak and out bounced a green-haired teen, somewhat under-dressed for the cool February weather. "Hey Bernadette, hey Owain. Hey, look at . . . Oh wait, are you guys, like, new here?" she asked as she waived one hand around to encompass Daniel, Iris, and Ryan. "I'm Consuelo. Welcome to Claremont! I still remember my first day at Claremont like it was four and a half months ago! Seriously, I really don't know what I would have done if that robot hadn't gotten me out of jail and drug me over here. So, are you, like, getting 'the tour'?"

Consuelo made air quotes for this last little bit, and seemed like she's just about ready to listen to the new students, when she suddenly remembers something. "Oh hey, everyone check out my new tee-shirt. I just made it in silk screening class!"

Cerebral and Cerebellum 

The twins stared at the new girl that showed up for a second before a smile broke out on their faces, a big one for Daniel's and a smaller smile for Iris. She seemed like quite the character! Then again this place was already so full of amazing people, they both could not wait to get started here. "That is quite the shirt you have there Ms Consuelo!" Daniel chuckled a little before mobing over to shake her hand politely. 

"My name is Daniel, and that's my sister Iris." He gestured to the young woman on question whom waved at Consuelo. She then moved over to stand next to her sibling, and yes they did look very much the same.

"It's nice to meet you." They said at the same time and powed their heads for a second. 

A pause.

"Wait what's this about a robot doing what?" Iris asked.

"Very nice work," said Owain, complimenting Consuelo for her art. "Do you take commissions?" he asked her. 

Returning to the conversation with the new people, he asked Iris "What do you like to read? Claremont has one of the largest libraries I had ever seen before I came here," he confided. "Hundreds of books on each floor, and all printed and easy to read, about any subject you could name!" He smiled, then seemed to blush a little. "I get, ah, carried away about the books sometimes. I am what you would call 'something of a bookhound'" he confided. "For myself, I have been reading the works of Merle Miller most recently. A fine chronicler of the deeds of great men - and a man honest about his own heart. We could use more men of such bardic inspiration in any age." 

Multi-Girl

As was so often the case on a new student tour, Bernadette slowed down once more as Consuelo arrived and began interacting with the new students. "Hey Consuelo." The Irish teen said to the green-haired girl with a smile. "That is a very cool shirt."

While Owain was talking to Iris about what books she liked to read and the library, Bernadette looked over to Daniel. "While it can vary from time ta time, there are usually a number o' students interested in actin’,' or at least willin' ta give it a try. I think they usually try ta put on at least one production each year. I can make sure ta introduce you ta Rosalind, another senior, she was in the director fer a play last year."

Cerebral and Cerebellum 

As soon as Owain mentioned the library, Iris' eyes lit up like lightbulbs. The fact that this kid seemed to speak like a man out of time did not phase her at all now. In fact she was slowly getting used to the strangeness...but that library. 

"Merle Miller huh? I've read some of his work. A man ahead of his time for sure." She replies. "As for me, I tend to read fiction, though can dabble in other genres or types."

Meanwhile Daniel turned back to their guide for a bit, he would nod his head. Acting was something he was slowly getting into, though had not really done anything with his talents yet. Maybe this Rosalind could help? It was worth a shot! "Oh, thank you very much Bernadette. I would like that very much." Daniel had the feeling that he was going to fit in well at this place.

Rot

"Ooh, 'Iris' - that's a pretty name! So are you guys, like, twins? Wow!" For some reason, Consuelo seems pretty excited to meet twins.

"Robot? Oh yeah, this robot came and got me out of jail and brought me here." Consuelo leans in close. "You may not believe this, but until, like, a month and a half ago, one of the side effects of my powers was to give off this creepy, repulsive aura. It made dealing with people suuuuuuuuper challenging!" She really draws out the "U" in the word "super". "So that's how come they had to send a robot to get me. Cause robots weren't affected." And she shrugs.

"People don't always think about it, but having powers can come with a lot of challenges. I bet you guys had challenges with your powers, huh? But I guess you at least had each other to lean on, like, being twins and all.  . . ."

Consuelo smiles and raises one eyebrow as Owain and Bernadette talk about the tee-shirt she made. "Thanks guys! But, my dear, sweet Owain. You could never afford one of my tee-shirts. It's contemporary high art." And she gives him a mock pitying look. 

"Yeah, I totally love gaming too, Daniel. Uh, do you prefer Daniel or, like, just Dan? Yeah, but not books so much. The pages kind of like, disintegrate when I touch 'em a lot. I never thought about acting, but that might be fun too." It seems like Consuelo has an easier time relating to Daniel than to the more reserved Iris.

"Hah, well..." Owain looked away from Consuelo for a moment, running his hand through his long hair, then seemed to change the subject. "Have you ever read Anthony Hope's The Prisoner of Zenda?" he asked. "It is old, but it is full of excitement - and the movies made from it are all good. We have a movie club here on campus," he offered, "and almost any other kind of group you'd care to name. There is Neko's anime club, several Christian groups of various sorts, and of course Rosalind and the theatrical troupe, and all the others there." He considered for a moment, hand on his chin, then said, "And if you would go your own way, there is much to do there as well. You need not be bound by what we have done before you. What brought you hence?" he asked. 

Cerebral and Cerebellum 

Daniel listened to Rot's story with attention. It was beyond strange that's for sure, at least to him, and there was a surprise look that crossed his face. "Huh...that actually happened?! Well then at least it's interesting haha, you can call me whatever you like Consuelo! I just hope we can be friends." He was happy to find another gamer, maybe they could play some games together, now that would be extremely fun! His expression, unlike his sister's, seemed to give a lot away including what he was thinking, which was fun and games. 

Meanwhile Iris seemed to be having a more meaningful discussion with Owain, at least in her mind.  "The Prisoner of Zenda huh? I have not heard of that one. Maybe I can read it in this library." She nodded her head, being familar with all these clubs was going to be important, maybe she should join one of them. That movie club sounded interesting...

"What brought us here?" She spoke once more. "Oh...we want to be heroes.

"A noble goal," said Owain, taking Iris's words to mean that she didn't want to discuss the details of where she was from. Certainly there was much in his own life he wouldn't share with some stranger. "Myself I hope to study with some of this realm's finest wizards and magi, having had but a limited training in my own realm." He smiled, adding, "That's right, I have some of the enchanter's art! I know it comes mostly to the scholarly but I have found that anyone can master the arts arcane if they are true to themselves and do what's right." He considered his words, then said, "Neko and I are - the word used today is temporal refugees, but I would call us castaways on the shores of Time's own sea. We live at the Espadas school in the West End of this city, where they offer, ah, shelter. To those who have come here from far away."