Mid January, 2024

THE TERRORS OF HIGH SCHOOL!

HOMEWORK!

TESTS!

COLLEGE PREP!

RIVAL SCHOOLS!

All of these things weigh heavily on the mind of the adolescent, even more on the mind of the adolescent Super Hero, who must juggle these with the duties of Superheroing!

But what, dear reader, happens when the actions of the maturing Superhero overlap with the actions of the maturing high school student!? That is the focus of our story today!

It was supposed to be, arguably, a fairly easy assignment for Biology. Several students in class had grouped up to go to one of a few preselected locations and examine the unique biology of the area; by comparing their findings, the class could see how even somewhat small differences in location- places within the same city- could change the biodiversity of the area. It was practical knowledge that could provide real world examples; perfect experience.

Due to Mizuki's talents, she had been given the chance to take Lawrence and Baz out to look at the ecosystem that thrives around the Centery Narrows; where fresh and salt water mix to create an almost wholly unique ecosystem called an estuary.

This also brings them quite close to the closed Ocean Heights Amusement Park, which is supposed to be closed for several more months; opening on Memorial Day in May. It's supposed to be guarded by Stronghold Security during the off-season, all the rides shut down and waiting for tourists and locales in the spring and summer.

Which is why it was especially weird that, as they were out exploring the Estuary in a motor boat, they could see the lights on several of the lights start up, the Ferris Wheel start moving, and then, after a little bit, someone fall from the edge of the park and land in the frigid water, arms whipping against the current threatening to drag him out to sea.

Gamma Buzz

Baltazar hopped from foot to foot. 

"Sea!"

"Man!"

"Help!"

The Cockroach kid didn't do well in water. He was not worse than any other kid, he just couldn't leap and cartwheel around like he could above water. He couldn't breathe underwater, or super swim. 

But the man was in trouble, so Baz really had no choice. The water was absolutely freezing, but at least that wasn't a problem for Baz, who was warmed by an internal nuclear furnace. 

"Oh well!"

With a huge leap into the air, he dove into the water and started pounding the water with mighty Gamma Buzz arms!

Torpedo Lass II

Torpedo Lass knew full well wearing her gear under what amounted to a long yellow rain poncho was a good move.

She shouted to Lawrence. "Take the wheel. Poor Baz is about as seaworthy as a brick."

Tossing the poncho aside on to the deck of the motorboat, she filled her dive vest with air. "We really need to get the school to design a life vest for Baz..."

She jumped into the water grabbing a life ring off the back of the boat, and without a moment's hesitation, because the guy who fell in. Doesn't have long. She swam past Baz who was "swimming" towards the man in the water. "I got this, Baz, just keep the water warm, I've had some lifeguard classes, I'll bring him to the boat. Then we'll need some way to get him warmed up!" She said, darting toward the man and getting her arms under him. She knew her swimming power could easily beat the man's struggling, and her vest had more than enough buoyancy to counter the man's weight and her own, plus any thrashing. The life ring would pretty much be academic. All variables accounted for. "I got ya, sir... calm down and I'll get us to someplace dryer." She swung the life ring in front of the man. if his instincts were to grab anything hopefully grabbing that will calm him.

She knew heading back she had to go slower... any wake would just soak the man more. Bit of a dilemma... but nothing she couldn't adapt to.

Edited by The Sailor

Timeout

As the trio had begun their observations of the biodiversity of the estuary, Lawrence had realized that in many ways, he and Baz were holding Mizuki back from being able to truly experience the biosphere, given she could easily be down in the water for as long as she wanted exploring the area. But, they had an assignment, so they were out on the motorboat exploring the coastline of the southern section of the Century Narrows.

When the drew near the unusually active Ocean Heights Amusement Park and saw a figure fall into the water, it was little surprise that Baz did what he typically did, jump into things without fully thinking them through. "On it." Lawrence responded to Mizuki as she got ready to jump in and rescue the man, and possibly Baz as well.

The blond teen took the wheel of the motorboat, reducing the power to the engine so that it was just overcoming the currents as he steered it to follow parallel to Mizuki and Baz, staying close.

(GM Post)

The man was already chattering with cold by the time Mizuki got to him, his fingers and lips paling from the water current rushing past them, but his swinging arms caught the preserver and held on for dear life as Mizuki pulled close to him. He panted, his breath heavy and wet as he did so.

"T..t...thanks..." was about all he could muster as he tried to stop his frozen limbs from shaking as Mizuki carried him back to the boat. He'd definitely need some blankets and heat once he got on the boat, but Baz's warming of the water was assisting in warming him up slowly. It also happened to attract a bunch of fish around the insectoid teenager, who were searching for the warm spot in the frozen waters to heat up their own cold bodies.

It was a delicate effort, but between Lawrence on the boat, Baz warming the water, and Mizuki carrying him, they managed to get him into the dry boat and wrapped up in the emergency heating blankets, where he shivered and rubbed his hands to keep feeling in them; no serious injuries, thanks to the speed at which the teen heroes had acted.

Gamma Buzz

Baz crawled back unto land, not cold, but certainly wet. "Mizuki you got to teach me how to swim. I mean, I can dive into the water pretty cool, though, right?"

He shook himself as he stood up. 

"Crazy guy!" he said, wagging a stubby finger at the man. "What happened? Did you jump, did you push? And... are you ok?"

He looked ok, but Baz was half asleep during the first aid class. 

"I mean you must be cold, right?"

Once again, Baz streamed his radioactive radiation into the ground, which started to glow green and warm...

On 1/20/2024 at 7:20 PM, Supercape said:

"Mizuki you got to teach me how to swim. I mean, I can dive into the water pretty cool, though, right?"

"Well at least we can work on your technique... really should have grabbed a life vest before jumping in though... not that I think one of the ones on the seat over there would fit properly." She then leaned over to Baz, whispering. "Also no real names in earshot of the survivor."

She got a thermal blanket out from a first aid kit and used it as the inner layer of what eventually became a security guard burrito. "Alright, we'll get you to shore and help. Not exactly a FCPD search and rescue team or the Coast Guard here..." She looked over at the Amusement Park. "What in the... the rides have come online. There some ride testing going on or something?"

"Oh Name's... Um... haven't decided on one yet." She grabs her phone and starts calling for the paramedics, luckily one of the recent classes included direct lines to call instead of 911...

Timeout

Lawrence put the engine in idle Mizuki swam over with the man and went over to help pull the man aboard, moving him to a seat opposite where Mizuki was before going back to help her and Baz back aboard as well.

With Mizuki already working on getting the security guard warm again, the blond teen went back behind the wheel and throttled the engine back into action, slowly starting toward the pier to the amusement park as he looked toward the park that seemed to have come to life, looking for any signs of movement or activity.

(GM Post)

The chattering guard took the warmth from Baz and the blankets and thermal coverings. He clearly worked for Stronghold Security, with what had been a pressed khaki uniform now soaked with water.

"...T...thanks..." he said quietly. He was too cold to even question the roach kid at this moment. "What...happened. Uh..." he had to take a moment again. "Stronghold...Stronghold provides security for Ocean Heights. When it's closed. It's an easy job, or it's supposed to be. 8 hours sitting in a warm office, we have an Xbox." He shook his head, getting himself focused again- the cold could sap even your wits, at times-. He paused to collect himself, then continued.

"Stronghold provides security for the park while its closed. Three kids came up today, they wanted to be let in. When we told them no and shooed them off, they..." he scratched his head. "Their clothes transformed into color coded outfits and they attacked us. They were throwing fireballs and feathers and one of them made a bunch of darkness. They knocked out all the security guards, then threw me over the railing. They must have turned the power back on in the park." He finally got out. How much of this was accurate and how much of this was still him being overly cold and not fully recovered?

Gamma Buzz

"Stronghold, eh? Well, we all know about Stronghold, dont we?" said Baz, eyeing his partners. "I mean, you would have to be a total dunce not to have heard of Stronghold, right? Pfft."

His eyes shifted left and right. He swallowed. 

"Timeout, why dont you tell tell us all about Stronghold to refresh our memories. Not that my memory needs refreshing, of course, but perhaps the amazingly aquatic Torpedo Lass might need refreshing after her incredible maritime adventure."

He scratched his antenna. 

"And who attacked you? Throwing Fireballs?" he added. "Where are they? Sounds like they need to get beaten uuu- I mean arrested! Super-arrested! With radiation!"

Timeout

Lawrence gave a small smirk at Baz's bravado as he, as was often the case, quickly talked himself into something of a corner. The blond teen was generally aware of Stronghold, there were plenty of homes near his parents' in North Bay that used them, and he was aware of several corporate interests around the city that used them as well. "Stronghold is a pretty high-end security company, specializing in corporate clients as well as particularly wealthy residential clients." He said simply as he slowed the boat's motor down as they drew close to the pier.

"So, do we want to dock and check things out?" He asked his two classmates as they drew closer to the pier.

Gamma Buzz

"Exactly!" said Baz, giving a brief round of applause. "Well done, Timeout! You passed your security company orientation test. You are one of the four smartest people on  this boat, for sure!"

His Antennae quivered with the fabrication. 

"Anyway, that sounds like we need to be on our most super behaviour! Laser beams, baby! Bzzzzt Bzzt! Pow pow!" he added, swinging his fists and making his eyes glow red. 

"Ahem. And of course all in a strictly legal way that breaks no laws. Which is what legal means, right? Breaking no laws. Except if we need to, of course. Say, does anyone know what the laws are around super heroing any way?"

"But never mind laws. They are all boring. Lets do whats right, instead. Lets dock and check things out! Thats my idea, right?" he asked, giving Lawrence a look. 

On 1/24/2024 at 3:33 PM, Thevshi said:

"So, do we want to dock and check things out?" He asked his two classmates as they drew closer to the pier.

Torpedo Lass looked over and saw the paramedics pulling up. "Might be a plan... They'll take the security guard up and see if he needs further aid, and get him warmed up."

She then looked over to the amusement park. "I think we should make our move together, although we should get the skinny on what they're up to. I'm not much of a stealth person though. Although in one jump I could get into a hard to spot position and use it like a crow's nest and scope things out." She said, putting her yellow poncho back on, but wearing it in reverse where it was an olive drab green. "Reversible ponchos are so useful..." She pulled up the hood. "Got a different idea? I'm not 100% on mine."

(GM Post)

The group pulled their way up to the dock and got the shaken security guard off, and called in for shore guard to come pick the water-logged man up. It was an awkward spot to check the park, but a short walk up a nearby hill let the three scope out the area without getting too close.

The lights were definitely on and most of the rides were working, so someone had invaded. They could spot unconscious guards scattered around the area and a variety of graffiti. Lawrence could pick out the design; a shadowy black haze for a background, a stylized FX in silver and white, and the astrological sign for Aries, the Ram; a T with sloping arms. Several of the buildings and rides had been tagged like that.

What the others definitely couldn't see, but Lawrence's super-speed could, was the cause of them. A thin, somewhat lanky teen about their age in a very feminine looking school uniform with a sleeveless, hooded jacket over it. The clothes were a dark silver, with more astrological Aries signs across them in white. With the hood pulled up, all that could be seen of his face was the bottom half and his eyes, glowing bright white. The reason only Lawrence could see him was that he was moving at super-speed, dashing back and forth across the entire park in seconds, spray-painting buildings, playing every single whack-a-mole game in the arcade at once, destroying the merry-go-round's horses and unicorns. It was pretty clear the this guy was off in his own little destructive world, and was not paying any attention to the outside, so while they could see the havok he was wreaking, he wasn't paying attention to who might be watching him.

Lawrence's eyes were also drawn to two others, but they weren't making near as much of a fuss as the Aries guy, so he was less able to perceive them; they seemed to simply be sitting in the working teacup ride as it gently moved around in circles.

Timeout

With the security guard in good hands, Lawrence was able to focus on the potential threat in the amusement park. As the three teens stopped on a nearby hill, the blond teen spent a bit of time carefully studying various parts of the amusement park, something made easier by his rather unique relationship with time.

"Well, there is a speedster running around tagging the place with graffiti and destroying things." He told the other two after a minute or so. "There are two others, currently on the teacup ride but cannot make up much about them at the moment."

Lawrence looked back to Mizuki and Baz. "So, I am not exactly the stealthiest person either. I could just head down there and try to talk with them, act as a distraction as you two try to move in more quietly."

Torpedo Lass II

Torpedo Lass massaged her chin. "If you're going to do that, make sure you always got an exit plan. In fact... extra addendum to your plan: Take Gamma Buzz with you. They'll be interested in a duo more than a solo. I can leap over to those cliffs and come in the back-way." She said, letting the air out of her vest under her poncho. "Just... don't look like you're gonna throw down. Talk... Knowing these types they run like a gang. Don't look like snitches."

"Besides once I appear behind them like Solid Snake, that might shock them into action anyways. But I'm interested in seeing if there's other guards being held hostage first. I'm going to check on that first."

She said that last bit, as if she was reminding them of something. "Uncle always says look out for the average joes first, then handle business. He's just a keyboard jockey, but he's got a solid head on his shoulders most of the time."

Edited by The Sailor

Gamma Buzz

Baz gave the thumbs up. "You bet, Lawrence! Being stealthy is just one of my many amazing cockroach powers!"

"Wait, do you have amazing cockroach stealth, too?" he asked Torpedo Lass. 

"Wait... are we using tactics?" he asked, almost spitting the dirty word. 

"Fine, fine. Whatever you thinks best. Just tell me what to do as long as its leaping into action emitting huge quantities of harmless lethal radiation!" he said, proudly. 

He eyes the comlicated web of the amusement rides. 

"Although those do look fun to leap up with amazing cockroach leaping powers, and crawl along with amazing cockroach wall crawling powers!" he said, his antennae tingling with anticipation. 

Timeout

Lawrence gave Mizuki a slightly questioning look as she suggested he take Baz with him to go and try to talk with the three troublemakers and somehow try to be calm and not act like they were there to fight. Baz quickly emphasized that point with his typically exuberant comments about leaping into action and using his radiation.

The blond teen looked to his roommate with a smile and simply said, "Gamma, no leaping, no radiation, at least not yet. Just keep calm and follow my lead, and let me do most of the talking."

He then started down the hill towards the entrance to the amusement park, putting on the domino mask he had in his coat pocket on as he went.

Gamma Buzz

"No leaping? No radiation? Hmph."

Gamme Buzz rolled his eyes. 

"Well I guess you have the brains and we will be using tactics. So I guess I'll follow your lead. But if you need me to leap into action and emit green radiation, how about you use a code word?"

He scratched his antenna. 

"Just say... BANNER! yes, just slip the word BANNER! in and Ill jump in ready to throw my amazing gamma radiation about! That would be neat, huh?"

(GM Post)

And so the group split up!

Baz and Lawrence took the easy route, heading up to the park towards the actual entrance. There hadn't been major police presence yet, so the calls hadn't quite gotten out to the cops that a couple of metahumans were causing destruction, but it was only going to be so long before it did. Instead, it was the awkward, almost alien feeling of walking up through an empty parking lot and through an empty entrance gate until they reached the main square of the park, where it split off into a variety of sections and pathways, all filled with rides and activities.

They didn't have to wait long. A blur of silver and white left the same stylized FX mark on the statue of the Park's founder before it resolved itself into a teenager lounging indolently at the base of it. Up close, it could be seen his outfit was almost feminine- it had a skirt attached to it-, but it didn't seem to bother him. He kept the hood up, however, meaning it was difficult to make out anything about his face besides the heavily glowing silver eyes. But his grin was toothy and more than a little excited.

"POP!" He pointed his finger up and a firework erupted in the air out of nowhere as he said the word. "Man I'm cool. What's up, homeslices? How's the day treating you? Park's got free admission today, bae-beh! Ain't no suits or pigs gonna tell us we can't have fun, they don't need the money anyway!" He laughed. He struck a balance between lazy and hyperactive that was quite strange; he shifted with his speed and sprawled on a bench like he was bored or lazy, but he talked a thousand miles a minute.

"Just remember that the Starblights, sponsored by Yours Truly, FX, aka Sentry Aries, are the ones to thank for this excellent day off!" Then his eyes landed on Baz instead of Lawrence.

"WOW! You hit every branch on the ugly tree on the way down, didn't ya bug boy!? What kind of science experiment was that? Rich people or self-done?" He looks back at Lawrence. "Actually this guy looks like a total cake eater. Did he do this to you? Hey, Richie Rich, did you turn your best friend into an ugly bug for kicks?"

----------------

MEANWHILE

Mizuki had returned to the cliffs behind the park, and with a few quick jumps from her enhanced physiology, she had successfully scaled the back of the park and had snuck into the park proper. So while Baz and Lawrence were dealing with a motormouth proudly proclaiming how cool he thought he was, Mizuki had managed to find several guards and check on them, getting them prepared to leave through an emergency back exit. In her motions, she neared the teacups, where the couple was currently spinning.

One was in Blue, with swan like iconography on her suit, while the other was wearing red, her iconography was the scales of balance, and she carried a clearly well-tested wooden baseball bat. They were talking quietly, but she could still hear them.

"...Look...I get we fight a lot. But you know I'm just doing it to keep you humble, Kitty."

"I get it, Ashley, don't worry...we're in this together." that was the blue one. She pulled the one wearing red into a hug as they sat and enjoyed the ride and cuddled.

"What about those two?"

"...We're gonna wait and see for now. But they're in with us at this moment." Then the Firework went off, and they both turned their attention towards it.

"Someone else is here, Kitty." Ashley- the red one- said. Kitty nodded.

"...Let's go check it out." Both hopped out of the ride and started to make their way back towards the entrance.

Edited by Poncho

Timeout

Lawrence had been calm and relaxed as he and Baz had walked up to the amusement park. He continued to scan the area to make sure he had not missed anything important when scoping the place out from the hill. Soon enough, the speedster had come out to meet them, sending off what could well be some sort of signal, but Lawrence’s overall demeanor did not change as he regarding the speedster.

"Sentry Aries huh? FX sounds way better." He said rather dryly in response to the teen’s introduction. As he spoke, Lawrence leaned into his upper-class British accent. "I'm Timeout, this is Gamma Buzz."

When the speedster insulted Baz and then Lawrence, the blond teen's expression barely changed, and he still remained relaxed. "Do this to him?" Lawrence asked at FX's question of whether he had muted Baz. "He's my best friend because he looks like this and has killer radiation powers to go with it."

Lawrence's expression changed to one that was almost dismissive of FX. "You know, Gamma wanted to come down here and see how tough the people who took over the park were. But I told him that we should maybe talk to them first, after all, they might be cool, even if they had only had to beat up some rent-a-cops to take control of the park. Gotta say, a bit disappointed. Maybe I should just let him have his fun."

Torpedo Lass

TL waited until the two were away to deal with that flare that was fired off, then started looking for the security guards... they were easy to find. She started to rouse them to see if they were capable of walking. "Hey... hey... cheers luv, calvary's here! Oh that sounded so cringe... ahem... just stay calm. Can you walk? We gotta get your coworkers together so we can evacuate."

Gamma Buzz

Gaz almost teared up (radioactive green glowing tears, of course!) at Lawrences defence at him. But his fists detracted from his tears. They spontanously formed. His antenna quivered, straight as an arrow. 

"That's right! I'm awesome! I'm Gamma Buzz, baby!"

He let loose a burst of green laser vision from his eyes. 

G... B... B...

Etched themselves in the ground just in front of the speedster. 

"One more smart comment from you, and you are going to get a fist in the face! A Gamma fist at that!!!!"

If it wasn't for Lawrence, Baz would probably have let his fists do the talking anyway. Even with his best friend by his side, his temper was on a knife edge...

(GM Post)

FX- or Sentry Aries-, grinned at the fact he had clearly hit a weak point on the world's coolest radioactive bug boy. A bit of a foul one, this white-wearing kid.

"G...B...B, huh?" he laughed. "not bad, not bad. I guess." He said. He spun a can of paint and then shook it. He had quite a few paint cans held in holsters on his hips, and with a burst of speed he added another FX next to Gamma Buzz's own initials.

"...I think mine's cooler though." he said tauntingly. "I admit if I could make my own paint it would help stop cutting into my allowance." He tossed an empty can into the nearby trashcan. "Two points! Hahaha!"

Then all of his laughing and joking stopped and he went from a clown to serious, glaring from under that hood, the lights coming from his eyes shining almost evilly. As he glared down Timeout and Gamma Buzz, he held his fingers up at both of them.

"But if you wanna see how tough I am, I'm always down for a little fun. But you'd better watch out, because I'm not alone." he inclined his head to the right slowly, where two girls were heading down the path towards the two. "So if you wanna dance, hombres, let's make it a real party. I can't say I've ever squashed a bug and a rich boy at the same time."

Timeout

Lawrence could sense that Baz was about to jump into action, FX certainly seemed ready for a fight as well. When the speedster mentioned not being alone, the blond teen just let a condescending smile come to his face.

"Well, we are certainly willing to wait until your friends arrive. Figure it is the only way you can win in a fight is to have others there to back you up." Lawernce the slowly lifted one hand as he focused on rubbing his thumb over the fingernails of his bent fingers, giving the impression he was bored of the conversation. "You will find we are much more of a challenge than some paid by the hour security guards."