Battles Under The Big Top

Poncho

(GM Post)

December 21st, 2023, Early Morning, ASTRO Labs Campus

MYSTERIOUS STRING OF THEFTS ACROSS THE COAST!

TARGETING SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH OUTLETS

GUARDS COMPLAIN OF CONFUSION, LOSS OF MEMORY, FATIGUE

BUILDINGS AND GATES DESTROYED, LOCKS PICKED, ELECTRONIC DEFENSES DEFEATED

PERPETRATORS UNKNOWN, STILL AT LARGE

The Sun was still down, this early in the morning, and the temperature was barely above freezing. Scientists and security guards were wrapped in warm coats, scarves, and hats as they loaded several crates into a series of unmarked vans. They were filled with a variety of different projects that ASTRO Labs top scientists had been working on; a Liquid metal suit of armor, a self-modifying laser that could produce a beam anywhere along the electromagnetic spectrum, a set of magnetic rocket boots. Each was going in it's own truck, loaded into metal crates with anti-shock padding.

Currently overseeing the project was one of the Managers of Research and Development, Clark Fields, wielding a clipboard as he observed the loads being placed into the trucks. He looked haggard, worn, and very cold, pulling his jacket tightly around him and taking sips from a thermos. Due to concerns about the string of thefts at high-tech laboratory, each of these projects- deemed the most likely to be desired by the thieves- was being sent to a different secondary location by the heads of ASTRO Labs, so that even if something was stolen, only one object would be taken, and the damage to the structure itself would be minimal or non-existent. But the best chance of this going off without a hitch was to get the objects out before day came.

This was also where the request had come in to the Superhero community; for any help in overseeing this transport and making sure that the projects got to their destination.

The two heroes in question, who had answered the call? The refugee from another world, Predator! and the previously crippled, superpowered Shooting Star!

"We'll be assigning you to the armor's guard. That's our big project right now; the X-0095 Ferrofluidic Impervium Armor. If that gets into the wrong person's hands then it would be a significant blow to our research. We'd really like there to not be any thefts at all, but we're being realistic about the capabilities of our presumed opposition." his voice was clipped and tried to betray no emotion, but there was a clear frustration and concern in it despite that. "We're moving them in the first place because we believe the lab will be the next target, and we're hoping these will either get to a better safe house or will divert attention away from the lab itself, at which point we're hoping you two can pick up the slack for us. We're not really rated for Supervillain attacks." He had the manner about him of a scientist who wasn't used to the normal flow of conversation, so he had a habit of rambling about whatever he was working on without care for whoever he was talking to. But he seemed to realize that after that paragraph and stopped, looking at the superheroes apologetically

"I'm sorry, I just said a bunch of words at once, and didn't really give you a chance to talk. Is there anything you want to ask me about our plans here?" he blinked. "...Actually have you two even met before? If you haven't maybe I should let you introduce yourselves to each other before I keep bombarding you with information."

Edited by Poncho

Predator 

The polished metal of the Predator armor nodded.

“Of course Dr Fields. I’ve been following the research of ASTRO Labs. Your work has been inspiring.”

She turned to regard the trucks. Her interior screens displaying various information on them. She ignored it for the time and looked aside at the young women that had agreed to this guard duty. The information she had in the hero calling herself Shooting Star was nearly nil.

This would be an opportunity to gather more intel on her. Cynthia had identified several markers matching a young super she had met briefly a couple years ago when she and several other heroes had been called in to capture the Contenders.

Predator nodded to Shooting Star.

“You may address me as Predator while we are in the field.”

Shooting Star 

Alice followed along the explanation as closely as one can when the stream of words starts going. One thing did stick out to her to ask. "If the thieves do attack the other transports do you want us to respond or hold on case it's a diversion?" She was fast enough to cross the city in seconds, but she couldn't be in two places at once. 

When he stopped for them to introduce themselves she considered mentioning the incident she'd been through with Leon and his friends, but given thay she'd been in her civilian clothes with a stop sign for a mask, she decided otherwise. Instead she offered a hand to shake. "Shooting Star, I look forward to working with you. We should compare what we can do to form a plan. I fly and I'm super strong, not much more going on unless we need to go to space."

(GM Post)

"I'd rather you wait, but you two are the heroes, once the operation is underway I trust your instincts." Clark explains. "If they do steal something else, you might be able to get it back even if they get away, but that might be wishful thinking. Hopefully they aren't going to outer space." He admits.

"Simply put, the armor is the most important thing to keep out of the hands of anyone with ill intentions; it's our most promising research."

Predator

“Do not sell yourself short. Flight and strength are quite versatile. They can prove to be the keystones to a solid career of heroing.”

Predator nodded.

“While I do not have flight capabilities, I am still highly mobile and capable of ranged and melee combat. I am also possessed of a significant sensor array.”

The armored hero turned her attention back to Dr. Fields again.

“If we find ourselves attempting to reach escape velocity, I fear we may be in greater trouble than we are properly prepared for.”

She attempts to joke before continuing more seriously.

“Very well, the armor is secondary priority, everything else is of tertiary priority. Retrieval of tertiary targets is approved, as long as it does not endanger the security of the armor or top priority targets.”

She crossed her armored arms.

“Is that correct?”

(GM Post)

"Exactly. We're hoping that whoever is stealing these things is not some kind of alien going off world...if they are it's kind of too far out of our wheelhouse. If that happens and it turns out they are aliens, you don't have to chase them down...we're going to be assuming they're terrestrial though." Clark said, seemingly a little worried now about the idea of aliens coming down from space to steal technology. "Okay. I'm not going to think about that, because that would be very bad and I do not want that to be the case." he declared, shaking his head.

"...Okay. If you two are ready we can get going whenever you want, but we're not super pressed for time if you have anything you want to confirm before we head out."

Shooting Star

Alice tapped her index finger against her chin softly, eager to get the show on the road but also wanting to make sure they covered their bases.

"Are there any other defenses that we should be aware of? I'd hate to be blindsided by van-mounted lightning guns in the middle of a fight. Also, how stable will everyone inside the vehicles be if I have to carry them out of a hairy situation? Otherwise no more questions."

(GM Post)

"The people inside will have access to five-point safety harnesses in each seat, rated against anything short of falling a hundred foot out of the sky. They should be fine with some moving and flying. As for weapons; safety features are limited on these trucks; they're transports, not battle tanks. They do have an electrical battery in addition to running on more standard fuel if there's a requirement for extra juice or electric shocks, but you may have to either jury rig something or just throw them into the battery. I'm not too worried about the damage to the trucks, to be honest." he admitted with a smile.

Predator

Shootingstar raised valid questions, given her power set. Predator could appreciate her thinking ahead.

With her external microphone disabled she addressed the onboard AI.

‘Cynthia, find and download the specifications and schematics for the transport trucks.’

‘Yes, ma’am’

The artificial voice answered.

Turning on the microphone again she looked at Shootingstar.

“Do you have a communication device we can use to coordinate?”

(GM Post)

"Oh, yes, right." He says. He produces two small ear radios. "You can put these in one of your ears, or, if your suit has radio capabilities, we can give you the direct frequency band." Clark said, showing the number to Predator. "This frequency will be used for all three trucks so you will be in contact with every transport. That should keep us well aware of any possible issues rather than catching us unaware." The scientist explained, offering a transceiver to Shooting Star as well. "It's an A.S.T.R.O. Labs only frequency so there shouldn't be any interference or risk of penetration."

Predator

A quick scan and Cynthia had easily linked into the comms system. A test ping confirmed it and the armored hero gave Dr Clark a nod.

“Comms established.”

She glanced at Shooting Star and switch to the given channel.

“Can you read me?”

Once Star confirms, Predator nods and turns her helmet back to Clark.

“If you could, copies of the intended routes and secondary routes could prove useful for predicting possible detours or ambush sites. I can study them as we go.”

Other than that final request Predator stands ready to go.

Shooting Star

Alice had to admit, having communicators would certainly help compared to shouting at each other in a combat environment. She put it in and turned it on, listening in on her partner's radio check. "Loud and clear, Predator."

She nodded along with her last request. It made sense, forewarned was forearmed after all. "Keep me posted if you spot anything. I'll take point, I'm decently visible both as a deterrent and for you to keep track of, and I have a much better chance of surviving an attack than the guys in the vans." Just like Predator, Shooting Star stood ready to proceed. 

Edited by Kaede Kimura

(GM Post)

Music Theme

With everything handled, the three trucks loaded up, then went their separate ways. The two heroes were free to integrate themselves into the protection of the chosen truck however they wished; be it flying alongside, sitting on the top, or waiting on the inside. The ride itself was tense; the only support the group had here were the drivers; any major security resources were focused on the other two trucks, as the Heroes were believed to be enough for this one.

The early morning streets, still dark, were almost alien in their liminal nature; very few people moved, very few cars on the road. Several streetlights flashed yellow instead of working properly, and no one says anything.

Outside the trucks, across the city, three events happen in sequence;

Each truck slows, as the road ahead is cut down to one lane, a man holding a caution sign up waves the trucks to slow. The trucks slow down as they pass the construction sites, with machinery funneling them into a specific box as they cross an intersection. It's nothing unique, there's always construction going on in Freedom City, after all. So the trucks slow, pulling out into the center of the road.

Then with a bone-shattering crunch, the second and third trucks- the ones the heroes aren't in-, are blindsided by an 18-wheeler, crumpling the reinforced metal under the even larger, heavier truck, sending them skidding across the road.

"Truck 2 has been hit!"

"Same on 3!"

But Truck 1, has the Incredible Shooting Star! And at the same time as those voices are leaving the airways, as the gigantic Semi-Truck is barreling down on Truck 1, Shooting Star is there to put herself in between the armored car and the semi-truck. It's still an insanely chaotic scene, as in mere seconds, the radios come alive with guards yelling about the attempted thefts- or their partners being down- while at Truck 1, the Armored car hits the brakes and twists, fishtailing to a stop while Shooting Star is interposing herself between it and an oncoming 18-Wheeler

Shooting Star 

Alice has been flying above and to the front of the truck, keeping an eye out to spot any trouble. It wasn't thrilling floating along at traffic speeds, but as she saw the truck bearing down she was glad she had done it. 

The word "Incoming!" joined the radios cacophony as she slammed into the front of the truck, cratering the front of it as the metal crumples around her. She feels the truck twisting from where she is embedded in it, the engine's components screeching as they grind against her. After a long moment of intense noise as the truck jackknifed around her, the sound dies and the semi's motion ceases. Alice shifts slightly before feeling her cape catch. She lets out a sigh. Her costume is almost certainly gonna be a casualty tonight.

Predator

Inside the truck’s hold Predator sat motionless. Multiple screens followed the trucks’ progress along their respective routes.

5 hours ago, Poncho said:

"Truck 2 has been hit!"

"Same on 3!"

Suddenly, cries came over the comms as both of the other trucks were attacked and fell silent. Unfortunately, she did not have the opportunity to assess this further as her fellow hero overlapped the others.

1 hour ago, Kaede Kimura said:

Shooting Star 

"Incoming!" 

Predator braced for some kind of impact that never came. But the sound from outside, the sound of something large slamming into an immovable object followed by the wrenching and grinding of metal, was not encouraging. She felt the truck swerve and fishtail before coming to a stop.the trucks rear doors swung open and the armored figure of Predator kept out into the street, landing in a crouch. The polished surface of her face plate swinging left, right, and up  in search of trouble. She notes the remains of the semi and watches for a moment until she confirms movement from Shooting Star within.

(GM Post)

Sickening crunch and twisting metal bent under Shooting Star's super dense flesh, sending metal and oil scattering across the pavement. The trailer of the truck had been filled with scrap metal and bricks, which scattered across the pavement of the intersection in addition to the parts of the 18 wheeler itself. Thanks to the timely intervention of Shooting Star, the armored car was able to continue moving, but it needed a second to turn back around after the hard braking that had occurred. This was not a second that the attackers were willing to grant.

It started with the sound of a car backfiring. Then a loud honk. An extremely tiny car, a beetle covered in polka-dots, rolled up onto the scene of destruction. A man got out of it. Then a second one, identical to the first. Then 4 more. All of them were clowns with the same face paint, overly large slacks, and patchwork coat. 

Meanwhile, the construction gear that had been used to bait the funnel was on the move; the crawler excavator making it's way over to the armored truck. What had been assumed to be a bucket was actually a giant, inky black saw, that spun violently; designed to cut through the truck. The second machine was a wheel loader; the loader replaced with a heavy metal plate, akin to a battering ram. While they may not be able to get to the armored car right away, they could knock the armored car over and cut it open like butter if the two heroes didn't manage to stop them. The windows of both were blacked out, making it difficult to see who was inside them. If there was someone inside the 18 wheeler was also difficult to see at the time. The machines seemed like they wanted to focus on the truck, the crawler excavator turned giant saw machine slowly trundled over to start slicing into it, but the wheel loader battering ram did not, instead it focused on the two heroes.

"Keep the heroes occupied so we can get the gear!" cried one of the clone clowns; most of the clowns ran towards Predator, while one hung back towards the truck. Since Shooting Star was lodged in the 18 wheeler, she was currently being left behind at this moment, but she could see everything happening as she was getting free.

Meanwhile, across Predator's screens, similar situations where acting out on the other trucks; modified construction equipment, supported by more clones of this one clown, and other circus like performers.

With everything going on, the thieves made the first moves; the 5 aggressive clowns rushed at Predator, attempting to pummel her with surprisingly tough umbrellas.

Meanwhile, the saw equipped construction machine focused it's attention on the armored truck, slicing through it's shell like butter and revealing the materials within. The seeming originator of the clones was rushing up on the truck, getting closer to taking it.

And finally, the smashing machine, seeing Shooting Star extricating herself from the 18 wheeler, rushed forward with the sound of a diesel engine pumping 800 Horse Power, attempting to once more crush her in a pile of twisted machinery.

Predator

Predator could only give the screens inside her helm a cursory glance. A brief glimpse was enough to tell her that this was a coordinated attack on all three trucks at once. The windows minimizing as the AI detects immediate, close proximity threats.

The clowns were faster then she had guessed and she tried to brace against their combined assault. Arms reached out to grab at her. She did her best to raise her arms to block them, but still felt one of their attacks slip past and land a solid blow. She gritted her teeth, thinking she obviously needed to check the padding in that spot. It shouldn’t have hurt that much.

On her gauntlets, the flexible fingers pulled in and the studded plates across the back of her hands snapped down into place. There was a subtle whine from them as they glowed a bright blue. She pulled her arms back and then punched the air in front of her.

Explosive force erupted from the Knuckle Dusters, sending a cone shaped shock-wave out from her. Four of the five clowns caught in wave are knocked from their feet, only to tumble away across the street as balloons and candy pieces.

“What the-?”

Predator was surprised, but quickly shook her head. There would be time to figure that out later. The armored figure straightened turned to the clown that had managed to scramble out of the way of her blast.

“Well then, it seems I must deal with you and your cohort before I can stop those machines. So be it.”

The glow of the plates fade as they snap back up. But instead of the fingers coming back out, long sharp blades slide out, ready to cut through whatever stands in her way.

Shooting Star 

Alice was just about free from the wreckage of the motor when the truck caved in around her. She sighed briefly in frustration as she felt sharp pieces of tortured metal snagging on her clothes and scratching her breastplate before blunting themselves against her skin. She could feel the pressure from thr assault, whatever this thing was it was big and strong, but Alice reckoned she was stronger.

With a twist as the impact occured again she tore free of the annihilated front of the truck, bringing herself face to face with her opponent. She had to admit she was expecting a giant man or something rather than construction equipment, but she was used to odd situations at this point. Quickly she spotted the Saw Machine opening the truck and a plan formed in her head. 

As the machine lurched towards her once more she seized it by the scoop and twisted, heaving the multi ton machine towards the other, where with an earth-shaking crash they impacted. A savage grin flashed across her face as she puffed out a breath at the exertion. It felt good to stretch the muscles sometimes!

(GM Post)

With the sound of gears grinding on gears and bending metal, the Smashing Machine was hurled through the air and crashed into the Saw Machine! It twisted, one of it's wheels cocked awkwardly to the side as it righted itself.

With the armored car sliced open, the originator of the Clowns jumped into it, continuing his point of the operation. But the heroes had little time to process that!

The one remaining clone, who had not turned into candy and balloons, was up on his feet again, and though he may have been the last one standing, he rushed forward with a seemingly suicidal focus- but he was a clone, so it wasn't really anything like that-, swinging his fists at Predator as the machines went after a new target; The Saw machine and the Smasher together turned their attention to Shooting Star; first, the Smasher charged into her at full speed, followed by the Saw Machine's spinning blade trying to slice her up! Taking advantage of her focus on assault, the two machines land their hits, attempting to break through her invulnerable skin!

Meanwhile, the last Clone attempts to strike Predator, swinging his umbrella at the armored heroine, but it doesn't even register through her armor!

Predator

Predator looks towards the machinery as it attempts to fed off Shooting Star.

“I told you not to underestimate your contribution.”

She says over the comms even as she turns her attention to the truck the original clown entered.

She hadn’t forgotten about the last clone, it was just inconsequential. And as the clown’s umbrella slammed against the armor ineffectively, it proved her point. A flash of blade and a pair of chattering teeth clatter to the ground without her looking.

Predator begins walking towards the truck with a determined stride.

(GM Post)

As the battle continued to escalate, the Superheroes found themselves confounded by these modified construction machines; they're quite a bit tougher, quite a bit stronger than these machines should be, as if they're being empowered by something else. It's Predator's highly advanced computer systems that notice it, bringing up a warning on her panel; these machines aren't alive, or being piloted. They're being remote controlled from another area! That's how they kept going after being hurled around by Shooting Star, there's no pilot to incapacitate!

The clown who spawned the clones; the Clone Clown, was holding the box that contained the Impervium armor they were supposed to protect, but he was currently trapped in the armored car behind Predator and Shooting Star.

But Predator and Shooting Star were trapped between Clone Clown and the two electronic machines. A Deadly Hero Sandwich!

The machines lashed out again, attempting to slice open Predator like a Tin Can, but Shooting Star intercepted it! But the smashing machine immediately attempted to ram her again, focusing all their effort into trying to suppress the seemingly invulnerable heroine!

But was that their fatal flaw!?

Predator

As she approached the eviscerated truck and the clone producing clown. Information appeared on her screens. The was a signal coming from somewhere. It took a moment to confirm changes in the signal were indeed coordinating with actions of the machines.

Cynthia had already began attempting to track it back to its source, but Predator over-rid the action. Instead, she channeled energy to her knuckle dusters again. Disengaging several safety protocols the charges grew. The blades withdrew and the plates once again snapped into place.

Even as she walked the eyes her screens. Numbers crept up and up until several red indicators appeared. It was what she had been waiting for, and in one smooth motion she brought her gauntlets up and slammed the two plates together. The energy fields collided and collapsed in on each other.

A powerful EMP pulse washed out over the truck, attacking vehicles, a perhaps a few bystander cars that had not been able to avoid getting caught in the chaos. A nearby power line transformer sparked and several onlookers with phones out were probably going to have to get new phones.

She’d hear about it back at the tower, but the League would most likely replace them if they applied to compensation.

Shooting Star 

Alice caught the saw blade across the chest, the sparks from her already battered chestplate being sawn in two briefly dazzling her as she took a sharp intake of breath as she felt a nasty friction burn forming where it cut at her skin. Then Predator activated her gauntlets, messing up the machines long enough for her to shrug the saw machine away.

Quickly scanning around she saw the Clown holding the armour, and let out a quiet growl at her distraction.

In a bare moment she was in front of the Clown, hands snaking around him as she favoured him with a grin. "Alright Binky, circus time's over." The Clown then found himself lifted into the air, gently, until he was about a hundred feet of the ground. "Okay, call off the machines and hand over the armour."

(GM Post)

"Okay! Okay!" He screamed. "Don't drop me! Just don't drop me! I'll get them to turn off the machines!" He was panicking, flailing his arms as he floated. "I'm not actually in charge of them but I can make them stop, I promise! Just don't splat me, I'm small time, I don't even like clowns! Or the Circus!" he grabbed in his jacket for a radio. "Adrianne, Adrianne, turn off the machines on my truck, I'm in major trouble!"

And as asked, the machines slowed to a stop, then went to idle, no longer moving. Not that they were moving too much anymore now that Predator had knocked the radio control out.

Predator

Predator watched as Shooting Star grabbed the clown and hoisted him into the air. A smart tactic she approved of. When the man called for whoever was controlling the machines to shut them down she watched the signal fluctuation and nodded as the sputtering vehicles slowed to an actual stop.

Predator walked over to where Star would land and waited for the other hero to descend so she could reclaim the armor from the would be thief. As she did, Predator called to the other caravans.

“Truck Two. Truck Three. Report.”